Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

Binowru posted:

It's on this page, the one dated July 21, 2009

http://wfmu.org/playlists/BS

edit: Juggalo hilarity starts around 1 hour 27 minutes in. Goddamn, listening to it again, I still loving lose it when they talk about the helicopter rides.

Coupled with the Wurster call later on, its really one of the classic Best Shows. The following week where Wurster calls as a Newbrdige Juggalo and the terrifying creature he bred, the juggalape, is amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

nemoulette posted:

We don't even know where he works. Just accept his neurosis.

Each tiny detail we learn about Seth only enhance the mystique.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

Mogambo posted:

Holy poo poo, that guy was loving terrible.

As a side note, I think Andy Samberg seems like a pretty cool guy, but I never really cared for The Lonely Island. They just never seemed very funny to me, and every song seems like a variation on "dorky white guys are rapping/singing a pop song." It's not as clever as they think it is.

They pretty much invented that type of parody and they're the best at it, but I never got the sense they thought it was that clever either.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

shotgunbadger posted:

They 'invented' 'nerdy white guys rap/emulate a popular artist', yea, ok sure.

TLI is good the first time you hear them, and then your enjoyment goes crashing down every following listen.

Well that's just taste, I think they're pretty funny and most songs hold up. Emulating artists as well as they do just doesnt happen either, thats actual work and they are good at it.

Also, that line about writing fanfiction with CGI Garfield and CGI Marmaduke...thats in my heart forever.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007
The revelation on the nerdist podcast that people bring Chris Hardwick Doctor Who stuff to sign and that he actually signs it was sort of odd and sort of gross?

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

The 47 Reagans posted:

...I can kind of understand why he might not turn someone away (he's trying to be nice and is kind of weird about attention), but who would seriously ask him to do that?

I understand that too, but I think he could go "Doctor Who is awesome, but I cant really sign stuff from it." and someone would understand. Its still pretty weird that people ask him to do that.

I like Chris Hardwick but I want to like him more. His talking about positivity, creativity, getting things done and all that stuff--thats great. Its inspiring and a pretty good message to put out there. But then there is the other side of constant self-promoting, self-creating/coining expressions that comes with that that is pretty annoying.
He feels equal parts genuine and forced, somehow.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

SKULE123 posted:

That Dan Nainan guy who was trolling Marc Maron ("I'll pay you to put me on your podcast") and who was trolling/being trolled by some dude in this thread is now trolling on twitter at @CleanComedianUS.

I'm convinced its not Dan Nainan, its just too funny and mocking him.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007
Seth was on top form in this week's UYD.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

dancehall posted:

No, don't cake scarabs let you commune with the dead? I forget what gave him cakewolfism.

A cakewolf of course!

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

Groucho Marxist posted:

Follow the Best Show Gems podcast. It has some if the best calls with Jon. I recommend one they put up a few months ago with Jon as Gene Simmons

That one is fontastic.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

RightClickSaveAs posted:

I'm curious, does the Best Show use that 6 minute long repetitive intro every single time? I listened to one and it wasn't for me so I moved on, but I find it really weird that people bitch about 30 second gig plugs in other podcasts but this show has had nothing but praise, despite having easily the longest and most annoying intro I've ever heard in a podcast

Now it rotates, but when you get into the show, you enjoy recognizing some of the callers and the different Wurster characters.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007
Paul F Tompkins is currently doing shows all week here in Montreal for Just For Laughs. Its a show about the different jobs he had during his life and his ongoing quest to not getting yelled at. I've seen it last night and it was so good--laughed all the way through, anyone should check it out if they're in the area, or area-adjacent!

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

big business sloth posted:

I bet Seth or Jonathan would be really good at the Len Maltin game, actually.

Seth would ace it.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

CortezFantastic posted:

I really doubt they would do another person's podcast cause they would've done it by now.

That ship seems to have sailed post-Jordan and Jesse Go.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

CortezFantastic posted:

Man I didn't even know they did someone else's podcast and not advertise it. Shame it sucked though. I'll probably give it a listen eventually.

edit: I would love to hear them on DLM or Joe Rogan Experience. The latter mostly because he would actually be able to get deep into Seth's psyche instead of the silliness he puts off on UYD. Plus he would probably be able to pull another insane tale out of Jonathan's past.

I think they would need to go somewhere the host knows the show and can interact with them properly. On JJGO, Jesse tried to get some rapport/camaraderie and absolutely failed at it. He talked about boning down to Seth and that shut him down for the rest of the show, leaving Jonathan to try and keep the thing afloat.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

SKULE123 posted:

Ari Shaffir did a storyteller show at a Montreal peeler bar tonight, and Harris Wittels did an x-rated Foam Corner. That dude owns.

Holy poo poo, I wish I had seen an X-Rated Foam Corner.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007
Its rare, but whenever Seth talks about his acting career and his residuals; its always gold. Good UYD this week.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007
Its still in-progress but holy poo poo, that Philly Boy Roy call!

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007
Podmass put The Best Show in "The Rest" yet again this week! That is insane, back-to-back some of the best shows in a while!

If someone ever wanted to try the show, do go for this week's and last week's.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007
This week's Comedy Bang Bang is terrible in a way that it goes all the way around and becomes sort of entertaining.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

The_Rob posted:

I feel like people rush to try and be the first to say how terrible CBB is now.

I love Comedy Bang Bang most of the time but if you just compare it to what it brings when Harris Wittels and Adam Scott are in there; its quite different.
I liked it, but everyone was sort of bad (or certainly not at their best) that it eventually gets funny.

Also, just not enough Phone Corner.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007
Loved this week's UYD! Seth's description of "Feeders and Fiances" was amazing. Whenever Seth aggressively describes anything (in this case, women gaining weight to reach a Guinness record) as if it was a hardbitten sporting event, it always works.

CBB was pretty solid too, a new character from Paul F Tompkins!

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

BarryMantlesnorks posted:

PFT as Herzog is amazing. Couldn't stop laughing on the train today.

He just started learning Flash!

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

F.F. Woodycooks posted:

Tom Scharpling just tweeted that John Hodgman is going to be in-studio for tonight's Best Show. This is going to be amazing.

Judging from his tweets, it sounds like Jon Wurster might be in studio too, which would be wonderful.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

indigi posted:

does Analyze Phish have actual Phish songs in it? That's why I haven't listened yet

Harris samples songs to Scott, but turns them off as soon as he doesnt like them. Its almost like an extended Jukebox Jury, with Phish songs.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

Fezz posted:

Are you ready for Smoochdown '97!?

http://www.gosuperego.com/smoochdown-97/

Is it anything like a Wrestlemania?

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

Conduit for Sale! posted:

Was seeing the "Epic Meal Time" episode of Nerdist the moment when anyone else finally unsubscribed to Nerdist or is it just me?

It come and goes. I like the Hostful episodes as background noise but I'll listen to the main show depending on the guest. The one with his dad was really interesting.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

Greggy posted:

This week's Best Show is really good. Andy Kindler is always a treat, Jon Wurster's character was great, especially at the end, and the callers were on point with not too much regular caller bullshit.

It had been a while without a long new-character call. When they get deep into music industry "mythology" the Wurster calls are always better.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007
Everyone must take a look at this 90s Lee jeans ad on buzzfeed and marvel at some of the
wonderful podcasters in there: http://www.buzzfeed.com/briangalindo/mtvs-awesome-lee-dungrees-ads-from-1997-will-make-you-relive

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

Beeez posted:

Even on Twitter? If it's all just a bit, when has he come out of the bit to let people know it's all just a bit?

Almost in anything non-Best Show? He's not the same guy in Low Times interviews, that time on WTF or the Marc & Tom Show he did with Marc Maron.

• Locked thread