Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

Borrego posted:

WTF with Marc Maron I remember someone earlier mentioning dislike towards Natasha Leggero, I've heard of her a few times and really didn't think too much of her, but drat! On the latest episode of Maron's podcast (ep.101) she came of like a oval office.

Really? I thought she was awesome. I think it's mostly persona, but Marc's great for that kind of cringe humor (awkward interaction, not offensive for the sake of offensive). The best part was the way he said "Yeah" when she asked if his girlfriend was around or when the girlfriend started clapping when Leggero called him out for talking about his ex-girlfriends too much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

ezell nym posted:

Uhh Yeah Dude is the only podcast I listen to. The most recent episode (235) is a good one for a new listener, but there are so many good stories about old-school hollywood from Jonathan and present-day celebrity run ins by Seth in the older ones. 172 and 179 are the ones that got me hooked.

Wow. I was honestly coming to ask if someone could suggest a good episode to start with because I really didn't like the most recent episode.

I think I might be coming at this wrong: I'm a huge fan of WTF, but it seems to be less directly "comedy"-based than a lot of these shows. The rest feel like (slightly or substantially) better morning shows, which I'm not really a fan of in general.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

SKULE123 posted:

WTF now has an iPhone app. It's not anything special functionality-wise, but if you're not using something like Podcaster, might be a good way to keep up. Also has a premium upgrade option.

This is more of a heads up for Maron fans than an advertising spiel, so I'll leave it there.

On that note -- Marc released a podcast over the weekend. It's NOT a WTF, and in fact is pretty heavy (he's discussing the deaths of Robert Schimmel and Greg Giraldo), but it gives a good sense of the aspects of his personality that makes the show appealing. Well, appealing to me, at least.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
Stumbled into Never Not Funny just as they posted a "full" episode with Jon Hamm. Holy poo poo, this epic. Anyone have the Primo - is it guest-dependent, or is the 90 minute version always this strong?

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

A PRIZED MULE! posted:

I think I've mentioned before, but these guys on The Podcast Eating Contest are funny as hell. To bring up a cliche, I was laughing so hard on the bus that people were looking at me. They only have 5 or 6 episodes, so you can check them out easily. They're like if UYD was sillier and they were quick to play off of each other more. Groundfloor.

It's funny, but it feels like they must take two hours to make an episode: You can really hear the breaks in the recording--sometimes mid-sentence.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
Picked up the primo NNF. Does anyone who knows the history know the guest that Pardo had on who was heinous? I'm listening to the episode with Greg Berendht, and he mentioned a guest (the only guest?) where audiences actually asked him not to bring him (has to be a "him") back.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

sambafish posted:

Speaking of Car Talk does anyone know if there is any truth to the story Jesse Thorn told on NNF about adding in more laughs in during post processing? Jimmy and Matt react to this story as if it's real, but I honestly can't tell if Jesse is joking or not.

Yeah, there's an "On the Media" story (rerun . . . last weekend, maybe?) about the use of editing on Public Radio. Pretty fascinating all around.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

A PRIZED MULE! posted:

It's goddamn amazing how quick and funny he is on NNF and CDR! Not fair!

"I've never been to Pennsylvania. I'm not sure if that's a state."

Jon Hamm got me to pay for a primo NNF season. I'd jump on for season 8, but my finances are not in order. :(

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

InsanityRocks posted:

I know this is probably really sad but once i had finished listening through them the first time i went back to the start and did it again, im on my 5th run through at the moment, i just cant listen to any other podcasts they all suck compared

jyrka posted:

Tried to listen to WTF once and it was just a guy talking in a sports talk radio host's tone of self-important voice about how depressed he is. Just awful.

Are we really going to start this kinda fanboyism and "making GBS threads on" now? I wasn't going to respond initially, but it's happened twice on the same page.

I don't like UYD, and didn't really enjoy the CDR that I listened to, but I don't begrudge their fans what they get out of it.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

benito posted:

on WTF with Marc Maron

Not a "true" WTF (it's a live panel), but this episode is great just because everyone just BOMBS on the stage. It's funny, but really awkward and "cringey" cause the audience just doesn't know how to take some things. I can't remember Glover's role, but I definitely need to listen to this one again.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
Holy poo poo: the Janeane Garofalo WTF is viscerally, painfully sad. I mean, there was a subtext in the Sarah Silverman interview that she really didn't know where to go with the cancellation of the ". . . Program," but wow.

I love(d?) Janeane Garofalo, too. :smith:

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
For those interested, the most recent This American Life features a story about that guy who wrote Marc Maron about being his friend. He started his own talk show in a pie-eyed dream to replace Conan, and it basically drove his family to bankruptcy.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

The Banned posted:

Since I'm unemployed, I somehow found the time to reply to him:

My mind is reeling at this. I mean, for such a well paid, OBVIOUSLY highly respected comedian like yourself, I am so utterly flattered that you took the time away from playing corporate gigs and writing your trademark racial jokes to read the comment I wrote, delete it, go and watch my videos enough to gather that I'm unemployed (or perhaps you even went to my blog for that information!), and send me a boastful email about all of your success.

I hope your show in "Columbo" went well. I was under the impression that series ended in the 70's, but maybe I'm wrong. I'm glad you get to travel first class. Obviously, that's the only sort of class you're able to muster. Hey, maybe you can use some of that $15,000 to try to bribe more podcasters to let you on their shows! Or maybe you can pay off some of your peers in an attempt to make anyone, and I mean anyone, like you.

Hey, if you ever happen to be looking for any joke writers, don't hesitate to ask! Here's one for free:
Why did the hack comedian email an unemployed college graduate? Out of spite? Nope! Because flaunting his money is the only thing that keeps him from committing suicide!

Actually, now that I think about it, you could maybe say "seppuku" instead of suicide. I know how much you love that racial humor!

Oh, P.S. I loved you in The Last Airbender!

Sent from my reasonably priced laptop,
Love,
Jason

Unless you corrected his original message when you transcribed it, he's right and your joke doesn't work.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colombo

\/\/\/Whaaaaadafucisdis?

The Modern Leper fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Dec 21, 2010

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

Wyld Cannon posted:

My favorite WTF is the Galifinakis one if only for Zack's hilarious joke about a large female coworker. I think I might've said this in this thread before though.

Question about accessing backlogs - does anyone else save all the podcasts like I do? I have almost every WTF, Comedy Death Ray, Never Not Funny, Doug Loves Movies, and Comedy and Everything Else. I constantly fear they're going to remove the libraries, and I find all those shows to be really relistenable (especially CDR, it's like an audio only TV show).

I only keep my NNF Primo episodes. I used to save my podcasts, but reached a point where I had like five months' worth of This American Life with no intention of ever listening to an individual one again. Figured that life was too short to hoard podcasts.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

Majorian posted:

It's amazing to me that I keep hearing this, because I always found him annoying on "Tough Crowd with Colin Quinn." But, in retrospect, that may have more to do with the fact that that show was really not very good.

Patrice is a highly opinionated... bully's the wrong word, but he will dominate a conversation past the point of entertainment. Marc Maron does a REALLY good job of breaking down the persona in the interview, and the two end up bonding in a really compelling way over the way their personalities have undermined their careers.

Patrice is also a pretty unrepentant misogynist, and Marc calls him on it and makes him really unwrap the origins. It's a very good interview, but probably a little further down on the "comedy" spectrum.

I was talking to a friend of mine about WTF, and I'm starting to think that it's a podcast less for people interested in comedy and more for people who are interested in comedians. Few guests do bits during the show, and it's really more about their process and their psychoses. This tends to go to some really dark places (see: Janeane Garofalo and Sarah Silverman).

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

Chris Hardwick is awesome when he's just joking around with the guests. But I like the Nerdist no matter what so yeah I have no idea how to end this post.

So how do you write jokes?

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
Anyone who's listened to the Jim Jeffries' podcast know what the bleep joke is regarding Jason being someone's professional barista?

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

bananasinpajamas posted:

Brody Stevens on Who Charted? today. ENJOY IT

WEB-ONLY EXCLUSIVE!

What song ends "Who Charted" today? Not the parody, but the actual rap song?

The Modern Leper fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Jan 20, 2011

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

Wise Old Shitashi posted:

It's Dragon Boy Suede's "Buy You Clothes, Do You In 'Em, Take 'Em Back"

No, I think that was the "parody" (guess not a parody). There was a song after that. Just pulling lyrics as I'm listening

"Yeah, I'm ignorant. And an ignoramus."

"I won't do the deeds of the greedy and shameless. If anything, I'll remain nameless."

"Hear me out, I just wanna be heard."

"I got it on wax, well, plastic actually."

Song comes in at 79:50 and closes the episode. If it's part of "Buy You Clothes . . . " it's a whiplash transition.

Fake Edit: Remembered that it's 2010 and I have a smartphone. "Let's Ride," by Q-Tip

Real EDIT: Nope, but the same beat.

The Modern Leper fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Jan 21, 2011

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

RightClickSaveAs posted:

Looks like that's Engineer Doug, and the song is called Ignorance. It's towards the bottom of the list: http://www.facebook.com/pages/DOUG-DOES-Music/135593466482010

I had no idea that was him on some of those songs until I went digging. He's pretty good.

Thank you! It was driving me crazy.

I'm actually not a fan of Dragon Boy Suede

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
Do we know for a fact that that's Gallagher? I can't imagine that he knows what Twitter is, much less feels that his audience would've benefitted from a Twitter feed.

Also, does anyone know how the live NNF went? I think it went down last weekend, but it wasn't mentioned on the most recent ep (even as upcoming).

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
I haven't gotten to the interview itself, but Marc is pretty upfront in the intro that he came at it from an aggressive context, and that that things escalated unintentionally.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

Groucho Marxist posted:

My favorite part was where Gallagher claimed to own the rights to the Ninja Turtles but doesn't see a dime from it to to Dutch lawyers or something.

I think the ownership is true, actually. Eastman and Laird, I don't think, actually have any ownership of the property, and I remember hearing about Gallagher's involvement elsewhere (not just out of his mouth). I'd more likely believe that than that he tours the country speaking with physicists, at least.

EDIT: My error. Looks like Laird bought out Eastman in 2008, and that they maintained their ownership right up to that point. I still remember hearing that Gallagher was involved with TMNT, but that my be his own mythmaking in other batshit interviews.

The Modern Leper fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Jan 31, 2011

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

Civil posted:

I wouldn't be able to listen either, using Android with a podcasting app.

If paying isn't your actual block, I do exactly this with NNF. You basically pay the season pass for login access to the RSS feed, and I just run it through Doggcatcher (Listen doesn't currently work with logins).

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
Pardo is awesome. Maron is awesome. Anyone who disagrees is not paying attention :colbert:

I listen to Who Charted, but it's not my favorite. Someone before had said that they like the way that the chart discussion segues into the "personal" discussion, but I actually think that Kremer cuts off a good flow to shoehorn in the name of the next chart entry (though I think that the Roulette and Dart games make up for it).

Based on Maron's interview, I think I want to listen to Ned Reyerson's podcast. He is a total ham, and came in loaded with material (which Maron's usually against), but the man's a pretty amazing storyteller and has a skilled hand with irrelevant, but compelling details and sidenotes.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

King Lou posted:

Yeah. I kind of agree with this. I don't get why he's so popular. I listed to a couple of the sample episodes of his show and just don't dig his over-the-top-ness. Even when he was on DLM I was wishing he'd shut up. Obviously I'm in the minority but his is a podcast I wouldn't pay a penny for. I just don't GET him.

Pardo's said that DLM fans almost universally hate him. I like DLM alright, but NNF wins, hands down, for me. I can understand the audience division, though: they are almost exactly opposite personalities/personas.

EDIT: I actually think that there may be a "family" line being drawn. I think that I may like Matt Belknap's work in general (NNF, Smartest Man in the World) and, for the most part I feel a lot less strongly about (or actually dislike) a lot of Earwolf stuff.

The Modern Leper fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Feb 10, 2011

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
Patton on NNF is pretty epic (CHARLIE DANIELS!!). That, plus the comic posted earlier, had me on my knees in laughter.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

Yeticopter posted:

Like they'd be talking about sandwiches or Oscar noms or whatever and Conan would get all like "OMG WHAT IS EVEN GOING ON RIGHT NOW" which makes sense somewhat since with his TV background I'm sure he's more used to being very economical with time whereas these podcasting guys just kinda shoot the poo poo about whatever and don't care what the clock says.

They relied on it more than usual, but this is a fairly common joke based on the unscripted, "live to tape" nature of the show. There's a great example in the Jon Hamm episode last season, where they start talking about supplemental insurance.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

benito posted:

That one goes up there with two others that made me want to take a shower afterward. Jonathan Ames and Jim Norton. It's such a good show, but there's the odd one that is so weird and offputting that it's going to be someone's first exposure to the show, and they'll think all of them are like that.

It's going to be weird seeing Dino on Community from now on. Ugh.

Really? BDSM is a pretty tame kink pretty tame as kinks go, and he really only discussed it in terms of the underlying psychology.

I'm guessing no one here listens to the Savage Lovecast.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

Eltoasto posted:

F/X took away Terriers because of ratings, they aren't to be trusted either :(

I mourn Terriers as much you. In their defense, though, the ratings weren't just poor: they were abysmal.

AV Club talked about it, and actually got an FX executive to weigh in on it. Double their existing ratings would have been weak for a cable show.

Dr Gene Dango MD posted:

I like the Pardcast, even to the point of subbing for season 8, but the last season has been kind of a fizzle for me despite some pretty good guests.

They stumbled out the gate with Rachel Quaintance (which was BRUTALLY awkward), but I think that they've done a really good job holding up the quality form Season 7 (which is when I found them, so obviously is the best season ever :colbert:).

The most recent Rich Sommer episode had me doubled over for most of it, and the live shows are consistently great.

Any fans of the Pardcast have any insight as to the episode that they never aired because of the guest? He mentions tapping out of the year-end wrap-up but referenced a different episode earlier in that discussion.

The Modern Leper fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Mar 13, 2011

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

t3ch3 posted:

On a different topic, does anyone else think that Maron recorded the intros to the Carolla and Rogan episodes as intentionally over-the-top Maron pontification safaris because he knew those were going to get a ton of downloads? The first fifteen minutes of each seemed like he was pushing that "character" to its extreme, more so than he's done in most other episodes and I can't help but think that its done knowingly. Seems like the type of thing that would drive away an audience, but that would fit his personality.

I don't recall the Carolla one, but I felt that the Rogan one was a (fairly low) commentary on the interview -- specifically, Rogan not "owning up" to his role in bringing Fear Factor to life. The whole Maron opening was against "ironic" enjoyment of terrible media and the failure to accept one's own decision to sell out. It seemed to closely mirrored to aspects of the conversation to be pure coincidence.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

Nemo posted:

I can't stand Brody Stevens. I keep giving him chances, and I'll listen to Who Charted regardless of the guest, but something about him just rubs me the wrong way.

If you don't like Brody Stevens, don't bother. Really, I adore him and this episode was exhausting. He basically has a pot/5-hour energy induced breakdown about midway through, and the whole episode goes of the rails. Howard Kremer brings it back and even works with Brody's personality ("Chart Goose!"), but it's probably going to be more maddening than enjoyable for you.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

-Atom- posted:

Exactly, the only reason i'll listen to WTF is if he has a guest I want to hear about.

Then you're missing out on a lot of really great interviews. Not a snipe: if you like what he draws out of people that you want to hear from, he gets really good stuff out of everyone he talks to.

Also, Sarah Vowell kinda ate her balls on the live WTF. She had a few great lines, but didn't ever mesh with the rest of the panel. Sort of an interesting shift, since she generally has the crowd eating out of her hand when dealing with "her" audience.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

benito posted:

If something's successful, or is fondly remembered, people forget about the pun and just accept it as a name or title. Like The Beatles or Led Zepplin. Or how Noxema was a clever spelling of "No Eczema" a hundred years ago. Something can even have a stupid name that has nothing to do with the work, like with the comic strip Peanuts.

But if something is terrible, then you tend to make fun of the wordplay forever. Like Breakin' 2: Electric Boogaloo.

Breakin' 2: Electric Boogaloo is remembered because it is the most awesome title for a sequel in film history. Don't confuse adoration with mocking.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

t3ch3 posted:

Fair warning: watching that Talking Funny HBO special will permanently ruin an Otis Redding song for you.

It's hilarious, but I will never be able to hear that song again without thinking of that awful/genius parody.

Just to tack on to this conversation: was I the only one cringing at how clearly Louis C.K. hates Seinfeld and everything he stands for? There were a few points, especially in the first 15 minutes to half-hour, where Louis was just directly attacking Seinfeld's style and technique.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
This week's Never Not Funny (admittedly) descended fully into "morning zoo" territory, but Janet Varney is really funny and single-handedly pulled the nose up on more than one occasion.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

-Atom- posted:

The latest Doug Loves Movies was loving hilarious.

Doug got owned by a guy that doesn't watch movies by pretty well known movies. Sam Levine is a great co-host.

Samm is great, but good god drat, is Doug a sore loser.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

The 47 Reagans posted:

Just finished the latest Smartest Man in the World--it's good, but it seems like Bar Lubitsch is really over Greg Proops now (or they just don't find the political stuff as inherently funny as he does and he's getting more mad about it than usual.)

The episode was a bit of a clusterfuck, and he sort of apologized at the end to the audience. I think he assumed that he was preaching to the choir in mourning the loss of Gil Scott-Heron, and couldn't let it go when the audience wasn't as interested.

It was fascinating to listen to, but it's the first time that I was glad not to be in the live audience.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
Hey guys -- just switched out "How Did This Get Made?" for "We Hate Movies!" and suggest that you do the same. WHM seems to provide much better commentaries on the films, and a lot more jokes. I feel that too much of How Did This Get Made is based on their reactions to the lovely elements of movies, rather than actually riffing on the humorous elements. I highly recommend you find their two part analysis of Superman III and IV (Part one was supposed to cover both films, but they basically riffed on Superman III for the full hour).

Also, WHM seems to rely a less on guest stars carrying the weight of the humor, and MUCH less on crappy Facebook contributions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

Ograbme posted:

Why even bother with bad movie podcasts when The Flop House exists.

Because it's funny? Why bother with anything when anything else exists?

Also, I like the NNF theme. :(

• Locked thread