Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nah
Mar 16, 2009

A PRIZED MULE! posted:

Also, I was behind in episodes and a little late to the party, but the "Comedy and Everything Else" episode featuring the Dr. Laura debacle was both hilarious and poignant. Even though I guess I'd be considered a liberal, Jimmy Dore can be WAY too liberal sometimes. Seems like he's getting his poo poo together now after his disillusionment with Obama.

Was that the episode where they blasted Dr. Laura for using the n-word and how horribly offensive it was, and then just a few minutes later praising George Carlin for how right he was about the 7 dirty words and how words really can't be offensive? Or something like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nah
Mar 16, 2009

A PRIZED MULE! posted:

If you're saying what I think you're saying then yes, but I do feel like she was WAY out of line. None of Carlin's seven words are "friend of the family". While I see the fallacy of Dore's ramblings I really hope you're not defending Dr. Laura's meltdown.

Actually, you could remove that word from her discourse and it would still be wildly ignorant. She even managed to twist her own hosed train of logic onto itself to the point where she literally said "I though in this day and age that demonizing whites who hate blacks had stopped". Jesus Christ, or the whole "If you don't like it don't marry outside of your race" poo poo. Her saying "friend of the family" however many times was the least offensive part of her tirade.

I feel like an idiot for going on about it, but this woman commanded an audience at least approaching a Dr. Phil or Glen Beck only you hardly hear about the poo poo she's spewing until it's over the top.

Please excuse my weird digression and/or derailment, but that poo poo made my head explode.

I agree with what you're saying, but Dore really comes off as a hypocrite. I mean, just a few weeks ago he was on Never Not Funny, and there was a REAL long argument about using "n-word" and "human being" and all that. He just wanted a good excuse to blast Dr. Laura, which I've no problem with.

nah
Mar 16, 2009

This week's CDR is the best thing that has ever happened

nah
Mar 16, 2009

Evil Agita posted:

I've been hearing lots of negative comments about Rob Huebel on the various podcasts lately. Is everyone just playin' or did he do something to piss everyone off?

They're jokey jokes

nah
Mar 16, 2009

soru posted:

If you do that, you will always miss Would You Rather, which is usually where the show goes from good to amazing.

And the plugs!

nah
Mar 16, 2009

James Adomian :allears: My favorite gay impressionist

nah
Mar 16, 2009

King Lou posted:

Todays CDR is loving hilarious. Bill Cosby-Bukowski is awesome!

Jesus christ

nah
Mar 16, 2009

Conrad_Birdie posted:

Spoilers I guess, but Doug confirmed today on his Twitter feed (like an hour ago) that "the Lithgow has landed". I can't loving wait.

with Jimmy Pardo and Paul F. Tompkins.

Yeah.

nah
Mar 16, 2009

Lithgow was quite amazing. The Maltin game was the best yet

nah
Mar 16, 2009

Majorian posted:

It would kill me if Dana Gould's wasn't vastly superior.:smug:

what's this poo poo

nah
Mar 16, 2009

Majorian posted:

The harsh but fair bitchslap of truth, sirrah. Gould's is vastly superior because it deals with Huell's barely-suppressed sexual proclivities and the murderous rage that lies beneath his thin-but-constant veneer of childish glee.

well. so does Adomian's, really

nah
Mar 16, 2009

DangerDummy! posted:

The guys they get to do CDR are so freaking good. Cosby-Bukowski shouldn't be funny, it really shouldn't. Two of the hackiest things in the world are Cosby impressions and "why, this person shouldn't be cursing!?!" humor, but somehow Jon Daly and Nick Swardson made it awesome. And as filthy and sick and weird as I know Andy Daly to be, he still manages to get a "what the gently caress?" out of me whenever he's on the show.

It got pretty bad the more Swardson tried to inject his lovely Betty White humor. Nick Swardson for the most part is Not Funny.

nah
Mar 16, 2009

Cast Iron Brick posted:

I really don't care for the Sklar bros. too much. Last time they performed at my school, they did CDR the day after. The entire episode they just grabbed bits from their show. It was embarrassing.

How is that embarrassing

nah
Mar 16, 2009

I absolutely adored the Fitzsimmons episode of Never Not Funny, and I hate anyone that thinks otherwise :colbert:

nah
Mar 16, 2009

Anal Volcano posted:

Warning: newest CDR contains Wire spoilers in the form of rap :smith:

Thankfully I didn't understand a single word he said, but man it was loving awesome. Miles Archer is probably the most fully-fleshed character the show has had.

Brett Gelman and Jon Daly are loving terrible at improv and I loving love them for it. Their horrific puns are the best thing on the planet.

nah
Mar 16, 2009

The guy's improv was horrific but hearing "pumping puss" over and over was pretty hysterical for some reason

nah
Mar 16, 2009

Satire Forum Mom posted:

What's with everyone hating fantastic improvisers? Gemberling is an incredible improviser.

Well. I've only heard him try improv once. And it was pretty horrible. So, I don't have much else to go on?

Anyway, here's Miles Archer rapping!

http://www.myspace.com/fastlifearchitects

:stare:

nah
Mar 16, 2009

Sock The Great posted:

Perhaps I'm missing something, but 'What Am I Thinking' doesn't seem like it could be funny, ever.

It's fun when both participants are into it and panicking to get to the next word. Otherwise yeah it's pretty dull. A good game though, just not for the show

nah
Mar 16, 2009

CharlesWillisMaddox posted:

Here's another good not "LOL CELEBRITY" podcast. It's not meant to be funny, but the hosts of "Stuff You Should Know" are really funny.

If you want other podcasts that aren't a bunch of celebrity stroking radio shows this weeks episode (230) of Uhh Yeah Dude is really good, between the return of one of their only "segments", rap/country song of the week, Jonathan reveals to Seth that he has black ancestry which blows his mind.

No guests, no lovely segments/shticks, no morning zoo crews where they can swear it truly is the perfect podcast.

I hate that this topic is like some celebrity radio show blowfest, it's the reason actual good podcasts can't get listeners because everyone is always "Holy poo poo a celebrity is doing a podcast! Let's all listen!" Adam Carolla is the worst.

Absolutely, it's by far the best podcast out there and they don't resort to lame morning zoo crew antics or zany characters. I recently started listening to the archives, and I forgot how good Jahnathan's Poetry readings are.

But this is why you don't listen to all the morning zoo crew shows.

Too few people talk about Sick & Wrong, and too many people talk about whatever zany character podcast/morning zoo crew radio show/celebrity jacking off podcasts. Sick & Wrong is almost at its fifth anniversary, once a week of quality podcrafting since episode 1 and they do it just for fun, no bullshit subscriptions. As they said, support the indie podcasts and stop downloading George Clooney and Julia Roberts podcast about what they ate for breakfast.

Do you have an opinion on podcasts featuring celebrities, CharlesWillisMaddox?

Sick & Wrong sounds very terrible.

nah
Mar 16, 2009

PFT is amazing as always on the latest SklarBro Country

nah
Mar 16, 2009

RightClickSaveAs posted:

Those are some awesome image macros
Also some pretty sweet photoshops on the photos page

It's almost like these guys are trying to shock people the way DJs at some kind of radio show might, mayhaps one that runs in the morning and has a wacky "zoo"-like format?

Heh, look at this PC human being. Can't handle some edge bro? What, don't like to hear guys tell it like it is?

nah
Mar 16, 2009

It's weird how much gold can come out of the Leonard Maltin Game or the Would You Rather? on CDR.

Also, Adam Scott is amazing.

nah
Mar 16, 2009

I was never big into Andrew on the mic, honestly. I liked his random "Peh!" laughter outburst every now and then in the background, though. Miss it big time. But Elliot's very bizarre laugh is nice.

Season 4 was probably the best. All the old favorites and some really good one-off guests, too. It really is the best podcast, through and through, for years now. CDR has made me laugh harder than anyone but each episode doesn't have the revisit power that NNF has.

nah
Mar 16, 2009

Anyone know how to watch the PardcastAThon on the iPhone? The ustream app is utter trash.

nah
Mar 16, 2009

A PRIZED MULE! posted:

Oh poo poo! I'm behind shows because of the holiday but this would be awesome!

http://feeds.feedburner.com/CyberThugRadio

Gonna go ahead and add this to the OP.

nah
Mar 16, 2009

Also, Adam Carolla back on the Nerdist this week. First repeat guest? Anyway, it was loving awkward as hell last time when Carolla ranted about Sid and Marty Krofft for thirteen hours, wonder how it'll go this time

nah
Mar 16, 2009

Kodo posted:

Not sure if he's changed his setup, but another thing that bothered me about the Nerdist podcast was the sound quality. Before I unsubscribed I think he was using the built-in mics of a commercial field recorder and while not completely terrible, it was incredibly difficult to listen to considering I live in a city.

It is a bit surprising how the podcast that's by the biggest "tech geek" out there has the worst sound quality, too. Jesus Christ it's bad. And it really is a "celebrity blowfest;" it's just Hardwick sucking up to some nerd icon, or talking to fellow stand-ups about the business, which I generally don't mind, but his interview style is pretty terrible.

It just doesn't seem to fit his "niche" at all. You'd expect some high-quality geeky thing with bits and fun segments and poo poo. But it sounds like the worst "three white guys talking" podcasts around.

nah
Mar 16, 2009

bananasinpajamas posted:

http://feeds.feedburner.com/CyberThugRadio

Gonna go ahead and add this to the OP.

This was great. Raccoon Dachau? loving hysterical. I have no idea what the intention of this podcast is but it has a lot of promise.

nah
Mar 16, 2009

I'm a huge fan of PFT, but boy the Tompkast sure drags at times, even in the places it shouldn't, like the bits with various characters. I just think what makes him so funny is when he's playing those characters completely off the cuff, as opposed to scripted. So my favorite parts of the podcast has been just him rambling in the warm, hush tones, and his conversations with Jen Kirkman. I understand he wanted to do something different, but....eh.

nah
Mar 16, 2009

dividebyzero posted:

But the next one I listened to was with Todd Barry and some other guys, a minaturization scientist and an Amish minigolf course owner. That one sucked.

The last one I heard was with Tig (whom I'd never heard before), Sarah Silverman, Kevin Nealon, etc. which was mediocre, I thought (does Sarah Silverman always suck that badly or was it just her purported neck cramp?).

You...I don't get you. Those episodes are pretty much par-for-the-course as far as CDR goes.

nah
Mar 16, 2009

It's not ALTERNATIVE or REAL TALK. It's just straight up hilarious and plenty of good natured racism and sexism. It's the gooniest (in a good way) podcast in the world. They don't have to rely on prepared bits, zany antics or celebrity pimping to get listeners.

Okay, so being as racist and sexist as possible to get listeners is okay, but having material and good, intriguing guests is NOT okay. Okay good.

nah
Mar 16, 2009

I think she's fine at improv, at least in her own way. I know that sounds like a copout, but she does her own thing and it works for her.

nah
Mar 16, 2009

Majorian posted:

Anyone know anything about The Long Shot Podcast? I see it popping up in recommendations, but that's all I know about it.

Whoa whoa, what the gently caress is this, how I've not heard of a podcast that's been online for nigh on a full calendar year featuring many of the typical celebrity blowfest guests I enjoy?

nah
Mar 16, 2009

A PRIZED MULE! posted:

And on that note if you like Greg Proops (because he's a goddamn genius), he's got a new podcast called "The Smartest Man in the World". It's just him rambling live at a bar. I could listen to that guy talk for hours.

The man turns a phrase like no other. Saying "Lay off my black god and his giant thighs" in regards to Barry Bonds is loving brilliant

nah
Mar 16, 2009

A PRIZED MULE! posted:

I was trying to describe his new show to someone recently.

I said, "If Greg Proops did 'Why did the chicken cross the road?' it would take roughly 17 minutes. During that time you will be rapt in strict attention as you laugh your rear end off while simultaneously being taught the history of poultry domestication, a time-line of the United States National Highway System, and the etymology of the word 'cross'. To get to the other side."

There needs to be a machine (or iPhone app) that takes jokes and Proopsidizes them

nah
Mar 16, 2009

Conrad_Birdie posted:

This weeks "My Brother, My Brother and Me" should definitely be listened to. Warrior Cat Bramblepelt.

Earwolf is launching two new podcasts this week, "Who Charted" with Howard Kremer (Dragon Boy Suede) and Kulap (Scott's wife) which is apparently a humorous take on pop culture charts.

"Glitter in the Garbage with Drew Droege" is some sort of mashup of improvisational sketches, stories from Drew's life, and character pieces.

On top of that, there's going to be a semi-regular podcast called "How Did This Get Made?" with Paul Scheer, where every podcast he takes on something from movies, music, TV, etc., and asks - How did this get made?

Yeah guys - That's a new Earwolf podcast Mon-Fri. Holy poop I'm excited.

This is pretty goddamn ridiculous.

nah
Mar 16, 2009

Kosher man posted:

I love that I can listen to CDR and such at work as loud as I want and not look like a idiot.

No more than usual anyway :glomp:

nah
Mar 16, 2009

I actually don't like it. The market is flooded with what is basically weekly talk shows, people doing "edgy" versions of SNL and other ways for people to pimp whatever thing they are releasing soon, it pushes the people who are trying to do shows without a big name attached to them out of the top lists on podcasting networks, removing them from the public eye.

:stare:

Two of your favorite podcasts are Sick & Wrong and The Nerdist. What are you talking about

nah
Mar 16, 2009

NecronSchmecron posted:

Just so you know, he's not really TRYING to be a "my life is a wreck" guy. He kind of is. I never knew why he had a falling out with Jimmy Pardo before hearing that.

Saying that, I don't listen to the 40 year old boy and don't have much of an interest especially since he said he's the only one talking. He's interesting, I just don't know how interesting he is on his own.

And the chick laughing in the background is irritating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nah
Mar 16, 2009

Conrad_Birdie posted:

Five. FIVE of Kevin Smith's shows made it to Itune's best podcasts of the year list. Jesus Christ.

And The Pod F. Tompkast made it as well :unsmith:

• Locked thread