Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nah
Mar 16, 2009

Bro Dad posted:

Man this week's Who Charted? with Zach Galifinakis is fantastic. Anyone on the fence about the show should try and listen to this one first.

Absolutely. Haven't laughed that hard in a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nah
Mar 16, 2009

There's about 10 podcasts I have in the queue right now, I can't keep up with all of the quality! :gonk:

nah
Mar 16, 2009

Nadine Hauklund posted:

Yeah, that's her. I think the OP should link to her podcast in the first post, whaddya think?

You finally convinced me ;)

To be fair I've not really added any podcasts I haven't listened to first, and that's becoming a problem now since there are so many drat good ones out there. Sometimes weeks lapse before I can listen to shows for podcasts I like.

nah
Mar 16, 2009

Man, how the hell does a podcast by a guy like Agee totally fly under my radar

nah
Mar 16, 2009

I don't think I've ever laughed at any of his character bits on the show. Yet I still enjoy them. I just wish the entire podcast was him rambling in a thousand different directions.

nah
Mar 16, 2009

Comedy Central really embraces all the high-concept stuff!

nah
Mar 16, 2009

The Greg Fitzsimmons episode with Zach Galiafinakis and Brody Stevens is insanely amazing. The way the show ends is just priceless.

nah
Mar 16, 2009

I feel UYD should have its own thread. What a creepy....universe that is.

nah
Mar 16, 2009

wafflesnsegways posted:

I only really know UYD from their appearance on Jordan Jesse Go. One of them barely spoke, which was weird. I mainly remember thinking that they were funny and kind of off-putting. But from reading this, I guess that's kind of their thing, so I'll give them a shot.

Basically they are Goon Gods.

nah
Mar 16, 2009

SexHaver1978 posted:

Does anyone that enjoys UYD enjoy any other podcast? Before discovering UYD near the beginning of last year I didn't listen to podcasts and din't care what they were or whatever. Everything I read just sounds terrible compared to UYD. They also managed to pull off a live show that actually worked, I can't see many other podcasts even doing that

Y'all should start a UYD thread. Namely to get rid of posts like this. Jesus Christ, we get it, there is literally nothing as good as UYD.

nah
Mar 16, 2009

I don't think every show translates well to the podcast. I've only seen it in person once and it is hard to imagine not having a visual.

nah
Mar 16, 2009

Bought mine. :smug: Looks pretty rad.

nah
Mar 16, 2009

That was a good episode. Niel Hamburger is amazing.

nah
Mar 16, 2009

Mogambo posted:

"Oh I get it, he's a comedian that purposely isn't funny. How ironic. That's really funny."

Honestly, I echo the sentiment that I don't 'get' the anti-comedy of your Tim and Erics, Neil Hamburgers, or Andy Kaufmans (who I assume Neil Hamburger is essentially ripping off). To me just doing something to get a rise from the audience/listener isn't funny. It's just annoying and not nearly as clever as they think it is.

Not the worst episode for me, but somewhere near the bottom.

Believe it or not, people are able to enjoy ironic and meta humor without doing so just to be in on the joke. Sometimes it's actually funny. You can analyze any form of humor to make it sound terribly derivative. "Oh I get it, he's telling anecdotes that have self-deprecating punchlines. Very funny. :rolleyes:"

nah
Mar 16, 2009

More pictures of Hot Saucerman at the office? Okay!

nah
Mar 16, 2009

PAUL TOMPKINS

nah
Mar 16, 2009

Zero reason to think PFT on Who Charted wouldn't be anything but fantastic.

Also, Hot Saucerman is hot as gently caress.

nah
Mar 16, 2009

Rudy Riot posted:

On the CDR Earwolf page he wrote:

I'm really curious about the "other person" Scott is talking about, BJ Porter. For some reason he's wanted absolutely nothing to do with the podcast version of CDR.

nah
Mar 16, 2009

Satire Forum Mom posted:

I thought the Comedy Bang Bang thing was a joke because it was such a horrible name. It won't effect the quality of the show, but wow, it's a bad name, and that new logo is not so hot.

The monkeycheese aspect of the logo doesn't help either. And frankly I wasn't a huge fan of the 2nd anniversary show for that same reason; just lots of "random" wackiness as opposed to the usual...constrained wackiness? Probably a dumb, inaccurate complaint.

nah
Mar 16, 2009

Wise Old Shitashi posted:

If Scott and BJ have had a falling out, it's been pretty recently. The Fun Bunch hosted the CDR show at the Vancouver Comedy Fest in 2009. That would have been maybe three or four months after the podcast started.

I dunno, I hope that isn't the case. They worked really well together for years and years.

When I did the beta testing for the Earwolf website, we had a Skype conversation with Jeff Ulrich, the producer of CDR/CBB and all the other Earwolf shows. He said that Porter wanted nothing to do with the podcast, but didn't go into any specifics, but I'm sure they've worked together since the podcast has been around, so I have no idea. Maybe he's just an "artiste" type that doesn't like the medium? Zero idea.

Anyway, BJ Porter is awesome:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6fez3AHUzQ

nah
Mar 16, 2009

substitute posted:

I liked Talking Funny quite a bit even though they all talked over each other -- especially over Rock, who seemed to never get to finish his points.

But I have to say I was genuinely upset that 2 (or 3) huge comedians in the world actually thought "Sitting on a cock 'cause I'm gay..." was actually FUNNY funny, and not funny because of the ridiculous nature of the situation Gervais described. Gervais just could not get over them thinking that was funny, and I'm with him on that.

Changing lyrics on-the-fly to obvious poo poo like that is seriously loving easy, and dumb. It's good for a quick chuckle among friends at best.

Tell us more about what is supposed to be funny. :allears:

I agree with Louis CK and definitely not Ricky Gervais. There's no "reason" why something has to be or doesn't have to be funny. Sometimes it just is and there's no real explanation for it.

nah
Mar 16, 2009

Ya know I haven't listened to Doug Loves Movies in a while. I think I figured out recently that most of the show is just the Len Maltin game, the necessary explanation of its rules, and the game itself isn't really that fun or interesting. I'm not sure why the game is such a big hit. I'll listen if a Pardo or Tompkins or whoever is on, but any new guests I skip right over.

nah
Mar 16, 2009

I also really like the old version of the game, where Doug just picks a random movie and starts naming names till someone yells out the correct answer. It seems far more pure and also doesn't take an hour to set up.

nah
Mar 16, 2009

I'm not sure why he took the podcast in the direction he did. He has always claimed he loves just talking without the morning zoo antics, but here we are.

He's definitely not talentless. When on, he's as funny as anyone. He just too often steers the funny ship into rough waters that quickly become awkward or just plain boring to listen to.

nah
Mar 16, 2009

SpacePig posted:

I'm listening to older Judge John Hodgman episodes, and they had a pledge drive for Maximum Fun, the site that hosts it. Are any of the other shows on there worth listening to?

Jordan Jesse Go is pretty similar, in fact the Judge John Hodgman thing originated on there I believe.

nah
Mar 16, 2009

Yeah that was a pretty amazing episode. Best in a while. Those limericks were great. "This next one isn't racist at all! There once was a human being from Maine..."

Also loved how they played Dead or Alive 5 minutes into the show.

nah
Mar 16, 2009

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

After listening to this weeks Who Charted, I am convinced that Paul Rust needs to have a podcast with Scott Aukerman where they spend an hour laughing at their own jokes.

Only if Jon Daly can guest often.

nah
Mar 16, 2009

4000 responses in this thread :woop:

For content: new Bob Ducca list on Sklarbro Country this week. Pretty amazing.

nah
Mar 16, 2009

nemoulette posted:

It's kind of silly compared to how much people obsess over CDR/CBB, an infinitely unfunny podcast :unsmith:

UYD is popular around here.

Yeah, it's more posts like this that I sorta went off on the UYD love. It's not enough to just praise UYD, but to also bash all the other podcasts people like around here. I don't think anyone cares at all if you talk at length about UYD, it's the superiority complex that's pretty unbearable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nah
Mar 16, 2009

DrVenkman posted:

I kind of agree on DLM now. I used to love it, but Doug's strict adherence to THERE MUST BE A GAME NOW gets annoying, particularly if it spoils the flow of an episode (Which it sometimes does). A lot of the time it seems like Doug just can't wait to get to the game. The TJ Miller Vs The World episode was amazing because of how angry Doug gets that TJ keeps making GBS threads on the game. Honestly? It's not even that good a game.

Yeah, I don't listen to it anymore. There's now only about 15min of solid conversation with funny people between the opening segment and the always drawn-out game process. Too bad.

Also Earwolf feels really lame to me now. Just too...produced? Who Charted and Sklarbro Country are always good though.

• Locked thread