Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
In case anyone doesn't regularly check in with Doug Loves Movies, the new one has Paul F Tompkins as himself, Andrew Lloyd Webber and Gary Marshall, it's pretty crazy and impressive. (I realise there's a DLM thread, but this thread is pretty heavy on PFT talk and fans)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

Just some random trivia, but I just looked on Itunes and Paul F. Tompkins is on 184 currently available podcasts. The man is a machine.

I'm sure this has come up in this thread before, but: http://trackpft.com/

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
I was thinking about this the other day, actually, since UYD is by far my favourite podcast and just straight up one of my favourite things ever - is it pretty much the only major comedy podcast made by people in no way involved with the comedy industry?

I guess MBMBAM counts although I was under the impression that at least one of them has done some other kind of comedy writing and Justin is managing editor of Joystiq, so it's kind of borderline.

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
Things are looking good for the world's #1 Phish fan: http://www.deadline.com/2012/06/writer-harris-wittels-inks-overall-deal-with-universal-tv-will-continue-on-parks-rec/ Love that photo as well. Hope this means we will eventually get a tv show based around the exploits of Foxy The Lawyer.

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
Dan Harmon's monthly(?) Harmontown is now being released as a podcast, so listen to that if you like him and the things he does - just listened to the first episode, was pleasantly ramshackle and kept me entertained, will be listening again.

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
This is maybe only tangentially related to this thread, but this is a thing that is happening and I am very happy about : http://teamcoco.com/peteholmes

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
Speaking of Adomian: http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/19/arts/gay-male-comics-await-the-spotlight.html?pagewanted=1&_r=2

(relevantly to that article, Simon Amstell and Gabe Liedman both had really funny interviews on HWYW recently)

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
Anyone else check out The Fogelnest Files? I liked it - not wildly funny, but wasn't really trying to be. Having two great guests obviously helped, will be interested to check out next month's.

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
If you want two super knowledgeable (semi-famous) guys who are super knowledgeable (and with decent guests), try Sound Opinions.

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
Sooo, Pete Holmes is getting that late-night talk show on TBS.

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
The Jake and Amir podcast is great so far (coming from someone who's only kind of a fan of their web series). Both very funny dudes and they have amazing chemistry (no duh).

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

Killer line up on You Made It Weird today.

Just came here to post that. Lives up to it as well, insanely funny episode. Mulaney and Mantzoukas such powerhouses.

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
Chris Hardwick's new show @midnight is both kinda funny and has guests who are pretty much all comedy podcast regulars: Doug Benson, Andy Daly and Kumail so far, Adomian later this week. At the very least, it's not too Hardwicky and has some opportunity for the comedians to be actually funny, which a lot of panel shows seem to forget these days.

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
Those are some drat good guests coming up on @midnight. Really looking forward to Pete Holmes show too - here's his first few weeks of guests, also looking great. Probably most notably Deepak Chopra, which has the potential to be one of the weirdest/most new-age half hours of TV in history.

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
Go Bayside is a podcast about Saved By The Bell that seems pretty good but more importantly had Paul F. Tompkins on the most recent episode and it's basically just him being brilliant for 2 solid hours.

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
Such an amazing episode, Zouks is a genius. Love it whenever he slips into 'worst person in the world' mode.

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
I also think Andy Kindler likes to criticise anything that is currently receiving exclusively adoring praise, regardless of his own actual feelings about it - e.g. he's talked about Louie quite a lot on Tom's show, in terms of how it's good but not the second coming.

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011

Reformed Pissboy posted:

Kristen Schaal as Tennessee Williams on the latest Dead Authors Podcast is loving amazing.

Seconded

"Marlon Brando had a face that could launch a thousand ships twice"

GraPar fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Nov 28, 2013

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
PFT is recording a Dead Authors' with & Neil Campbell & Scott Aukerman tonight, which should be terrific (they're playing Irving Berlin and the guy who wrote Twas The Night Before Christmas respectively)

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
There's a (shortish) TVIV thread about it. A few recommendations for best episodes in there - I'd probably go with Crowd-Sourced Character Contest as a personal favourite (and one requiring no prior knowledge). The best thing to do is definitely to start from the beginning because it's cool to see how things that become regular parts of the show just start completely by chance, but some of the first episodes are pretty rough, so it's kinda worth knowing how good it gets, just as motivation to get through them.

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
Don't know if anyone listens to Julie Klausner's How Was Your Week, but she randomly outs St. Vincent on the intro to the newest episode, so that's something.

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
Yeah, I usually like Julie Klausner quite a bit, especially those opening monologues and particularly when she gets mean in them, but it was pretty out of line for her to call Annie Clark a coward. For some context (without wanting to sound like a gossip-monger), it's not totally out of the blue, since it's fairly widely assumed among her fans/commenters on music websites that Annie is gay, but she doesn't seem likely to ever talk about it (nor should she have to, obviously).

And agreed that Neko Case was very funny on @midnight.

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
How Was Your Week is terrific - fully agreed that it's the anti-WTF in that the monologue is the highlight and the interviews are just a nice afterthought.

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
That PFT Todd Glass episode is totally brilliant - Paul talking about his traumatic childhood over that dumb music killed me every single time. And excellent observation by him that all 'old showbiz cool' is just them fake apologising.

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

As for the original question, the audio version of the Desus vs Mero podcast comes out on Tuesdays. Required listening IMO. Two sneaky smart dudes from The Bronx who will drop Thomas Kincaid references while talking about going knuckle deep into Kim Kardashian's butt.

This is a great podcast, although I probably prefer the video version which drops on Fridays (despite the TMZ-style editing)

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
Very few of the guests have much/any experience with SBTB so I wouldn't worry about it. It is a good podcast though - I highly recommend the Howard Kremer's episodes, because he gets totally obsessed with the director of the episodes Don Barnard and constructs this lazy, venal persona for him that's super loving funny.

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
Scott Aukerman is on this week's Go Bayside! - the level of derision is exceptional.

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
Just saw this on Podmass, Moshe Kasher has a new podcast with a good premise and a very funny first episode. Him, an expert and two comedians talk about a topic on stage at UCB. First episode is about harems, your enjoyment of it will depend on how much you like Pete Holmes.

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011

Conduit for Sale! posted:

This sounds really interesting, but Hound Tall? what

It's a not-quite-there spoonerism of Town Hall.

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011

Eltoasto posted:

FYI Rory Scovel is on Todd Glass this week. Only 30 mins or so in, but there basically isn't a preachy part and it's been good thus far.

Scovel kills as always, mild prank phone calls segment was incredible. Todd's story about looking so young that a maid mistook him for a puddle of cum was just the right level of dumb to be brilliant.

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
Pete Holmes having Noel Gallagher on is pretty strange. Enjoyable so far though.

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011

toanoradian posted:

I'm not sure if this is the correct place to post it, but I want to recommend Mystery Show.

I was going to post about this but wasn't really sure if it fit here or the Factual Podcast thread. It is very good, the best parts are when it gets very Nathan For You - a person innocently asking questions and somehow managing to get strangers to tell them huge amounts of personal information.

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
Yeah, being in denial about someone you like being a monster - as a lot of people were with Cosby for a while - is super dumb and lovely behaviour, but equally so is instantly believing in third-hand gossip, rumours and blind items, so I'd say everyone is still safe to like Louis until something more/at all substantial emerges (or continue to dislike him for actual comedy-related reasons if that's your deal).

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011

tnimark posted:

If you like hearing loud belching and people talking about how drunk they are, the new ep of High & Mighty with Jon Gabrus is for you.

I enjoyed this episode a lot, but would never recommend it to anyone else ever. One of the more unique podcast episodes I've heard this year anyway. My only complaint is that Power Hour is for pussies and everyone knows that Centurion is where it's at.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
Go Bayside! is back with its finale/first episode in forever. With PFT, it's great. RIP.

• Locked thread