Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

indigi posted:

I've seen a lot of insults lobbed at Kevin Smith in the past 15 or so years, but "horrible dick" has never been one of them. What makes him a dick? Even people who hate his movies or sense of humor or morality - such as the God Hates Fags crew - regard him as generally polite with a pleasant demeanor

Horrible dick is a touch much, the one I agree with most is 'up his own rear end'. He's perfectly cool to talk with (and for real, he loves movies, even if you hate him he's a treat to listen to talk movies, go download that How Did This Get Made) but he's just kinda gotten into this 'my group vs the world' thing due to the roots of his career and all. He likes to gently caress with critics so naturally that gets him bad press, and he tends to default to 'well you don't get it' when people mention problems in his films, but yea aside from that the dude's pretty pleasant.

Again though, even if you hate the dude, guy loving loves movies, him on a movie podcast is gonna be awesome to listen to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea no matter what you think of gun culture and all, we can all agree people so dumb they think they legit need a 'zombie plan' are maybe some of the funniest people. That'd make a great episode.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Politicalrancor posted:

Didn't say horrible dick was a completely terrible thing. But yes he's mad pompous about movie making and people asking him "How To Make It" seemingly bothers him to no end. Anything he says about actual movies is amazing though.

To be fair from what I've seen the 'how to make it' poo poo makes him annoyed because A) he's still got the indy mentality of 'no one helped me, man', and B) 'how to make it' is such a subjective, luck based, thing he can't do much more than say "I dunno, don't suck?"

What with him being an icon of 'random shmuck makes good' I can imagine he's had to answer that a bunch.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I like neither movie podcasts nor Kevin Smith, should I listen to this movie podcast with Kevin Smith?!

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

JudgeJoeBrown posted:

Also the Adventures of Ford Fairlane, and any Jim Belushi movie

Yea just search for Jim Belushi, Wilford Brimley, or "White Guy Karate" and you're gold.

Man, though, I love both We Hate Movies and Flophouse, what turned you off, exactly? Not trying to be all 'hur hur you don't like something I do, idiot', just legitimately curious what turns people off of stuff I dig.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

synertia posted:

His amazement at Trespass is one of my all time favorite moments "He's like 'We need to get out of here!' so dumb dumb from My Girls goes upstairs, takes her clothes off, smokes crack, and starts trying on clothes from the closet. I'm like: WHAT THE gently caress IS HAPPENING!?" He sounds genuinely upset.

The few times I listen he's the biggest high point to me too. I dig Scheer a lot in general but Mantzoukas' raw bafflement and anger at how stupid the movie is makes me delighted.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I also give a poo poo what some dude who's job is apparently to review podcasts thinks of the forum I post in.

Congrats on the praise, Lou!

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

-Atom- posted:

Putting my money on it being a bit.

The twitter stuff is really weird, Scheer seemed to at least either be in on it or trying to smooth it over, then Michael Ian Black got in on it. It's either one of the larger reaching bits I've seen or some really weird and awkward drama.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Al! posted:

Listening to Throwing Shade this morning, is botox cool now? Or is reality so warped in LA that people are so used to seeing other people gently caress up their faces that Bryan and Erin think it's okay to just gently caress up their faces a little bit?

Botox is an ok thing to talk about, since like, 2000? Also the point of Throwing Shade is them being the worst.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

WoG posted:

I'm firmly in the pro-Thorn camp, but this idea does irk me a little. "It's only one day" that they spend a month advertising, as opposed to two weeks that they spend a month advertising. I'm getting a month of nagging either way.

(and yes, already a donor)

I'd agree if literally every podcast in the network didn't do their own plugs for the drive with their own jokes and their own treatments and all. Like, somehow I can endure a bunch of a funny people spending a few minutes to say 'hey give us some money so we can do this more' in funny ways.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Man I'd call Gervais an annoying douchebag and someone I don't find funny but I wouldn't call him a hack.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Mr. Squishy posted:

Was that the one where he collected Louis CK, Jerry Seinfeld and Chris Rock together in the hope that legitimacy worked by osmosis?

Yea basically.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
If you dig Nerd Poker there's also a podcast called Drunks and Dragons that's basically the exact same thing but with normal foul mouthed terrible people instead of famous ones. It started just like, a week or something before Nerd Poker so you don't have a ton to catch up on.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

WoG posted:

...then what the hell did you think it was? You thought the business model was 'free scales + free postage printing = profit'?

"This Pepsi Next ad didn't specifically explain that cans of Pepsi aren't free! gently caress everything!"

I'd think the monthly costs for a stamp printing service would be less than that, yea, and they do a real good job hiding the fee.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
First, I wanna say dozen or so, of Jay and Silent Bob Get Old are all about Mewes' drug problems and his friends and all, and how he got his life back on track, they're also basically the best episodes.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Nemo posted:

Speaking of Hodgman, this week's Judge John Hodgman tries to figure out if the defendant is a hipster, which I always feel is a highpoint of the show.

JJH is kinda a hit or miss thing for me but its hits are usually pretty great. This was one of them, Hodgman just trying to figure out of these people are loving serious or not is always fun.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

escape artist posted:

Have you seen The Unbookables? It's a good comedy documentary. My pal James Inman steals Vicodin from a chick who is in a shitload of pain.

I just arbitrarily draw my line at loving my with my dog, you know? It's totally arbitrary.

It is funny, and there are way worse things to do to get high. But now that I learn it wasn't from a dog that was actually in pain, it's a little less assholish.

I'm really happy for you to be able to maintain that moral line while being addicted. That's not sarcasm at all, as someone who's also battled this poo poo I know 100% during my worst I would have taken pills from my dog if they were the right kind, and I love that dumb fat mutt like family. There are some people who can just be consumed by that poo poo and it can easily overtake your ideas of right and wrong. I haven't listened to the newest Walking the Room but from what's already been said by him Gilmartins is firmly in that category when he relapses.

I feel bad for the dude, those moments are the kind that sticks with you, and I really hope he's getting help of some kind.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

wafflesnsegways posted:

Just listened to it, and it is. But I still find Harmontown 40% delightful, 60% bewildering. I guess I just need to listen to it more to understand what the hell is happening.

This is also an accurate review of Dan's life in general. It has some really awesome stuff but also a lot of just kinda weird and sad parts that you're not 100% if you should giggle at or not.

That said I still listen every time, so it's doing something to draw me in.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Does anyone else listen to The Glory Hole and it's network's other assorted podcasts? I recently got into it and Mad Scientist Party Hour, they're both pretty fun in the kinda 'turn your brain off and listen to some dudes talk about boners and poop' way, and they seem to dance along the line between 'funny bros' and 'dipshits' well enough to avoid the normal shock-jock kinda pitfalls.

Are any other podcasts on that network good?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
So if anyone watches College Humor stuff, Jake and Amir have a podcast now, If I Were You, it's an advice podcast where they basically offer the worst answers because no one should take it as serious advice because it's just them saying 'if I were you'.

There's only two episodes, both 30 minutes, so if you like their kind of humor it's worth at least a listen.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

escape artist posted:

I was pretty bummed because I just don't like Seth Rogen. He's this generation's Adam Sandler, in my opinion. Same drat character in every movie. Plus, I look forward to CBB, WTF and DLM every week, and for him to tarnish all of them in a matter of 5 days left me with a podcast void.

Dude's done some stinkers but he's actually really great at playing the everyman in comedy while keeping some heart in it, and even if you don't dig his movies he's pretty great just as a guy being interviewed. I'd say at least try him on DLM, he was pretty funny there and since it's DLM it's not like the dude was the sole focus.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Man not trying to be an rear end in a top hat but if you don't like riffing Flop House isn't really for you. It's totally cool, it's just that's just what they do, most of their episodes are only kinda about the movie.

Also come on, you didn't like Bring Your Dad to War Day?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Groucho Marxist posted:

I've really liked Colt Cabana when he's been a guest on other podcasts, so I've thought about giving The Art of Wrestling a shot. Is there a particularly great episode I can start with to test the water?

Do you like wrestling? I'd say just find a name you dig and start with that episode, it's a pretty solid show all the way so you can get a feel of it with a familiar personality and all.

The 100th episode with CM Punk is pretty cool, it's kinda a reverse thing where Punk interviews him and all, but really good because they're legitimate buddies so they have great chemistry.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Good Episodes: Kevin Steen (x2), Jake Roberts, Steve Corino, Excalibur, Luke Gallows, Kenny Omega, Daniel Bryan (featuring a very funny story about his attempt to get a great X-Mas gift for his GF back in High School), Rhyno, Daivari (featuring a really sad story about what Daivari did with his Summerslam payout for wrestling Hulk Hogan), and the second Cliff "Domino" Compton episode where talks about wrestling in Nigeria. And yes, the episode where Punk interviews Colt is really good.

Yea this is basically the greatest hits list.

Also the Honky Tonk Man episode that he just did is pretty drat good.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Comedy Button is great, if you ever listened to the old Gamespy Debriefings it's them with Max Scoville added in and it's hilarious.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
The two most recent ones? I haven't listened to them because both of them sound like legitimate marriage problems that the people involved should most likely talk to someone not on a podcast about and I have zero interest in hearing the kind of people who take that poo poo to a podcast.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea @midnight is fun, it's like if Tosh.0 wasn't run by an unfunny shock jock wannabe.

Wait or is that Web Soup.

Chris Hardwick stop doing internet making fun of shows this is what number three for him?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea basically the stupid clips and all are just the prompts to let funny people make jokes, which is the best way to do it.

#butt

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I hate Louie, and most of CK's work in general, entirely because I think he's pretty average, but his fans are the obsessive sperglords who literally cannot fathom someone not liking his style of writing/humor/whatever unless they are too stupid to get it or just trolling or whatever. There can be literally no living being who understands humor and doesn't enjoy Louis CK unless they're just loving with people I guess.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Wallrod posted:

I only listen occasionally but that was a really fun, funny episode of the worst, stupidest podcast i have ever listened to by the ugliest people i've not even seen.

I describe it as the most genuinely nice, funny, podcast done by insufferable people.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Funktor posted:

Asterios, I'm about halfway through the episode, but it's definitely one of the best JJGO eps since about "Full Chort" or so.

Seriously despite my last post about them JJGo is one of my favorite podcasts, and this is pure gold.

"I CAN'T WAIT FOR THE CONDOR MAN OMELETTE AT DENNY'S!"

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

urk the quack posted:

It looks like the Dead Authors Podcast starts back up next Wednesday, with guest Anne Frank.

Ja, not offensive at all!

This should be beautiful.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea Jessie is normally really good but it was a pretty dumb, pointless, ramble that was honestly a little rude to do right after introducing someone.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Sandweed posted:

Comedy Button, MBMBAM and Walking The Room is not on the list.

I just want you to know I appreciate one other person objectively right about what funny podcasts are.

Nemo posted:

B-b-b-b-b-b-b Go Bayside!

Also you

But yea all those listed were super safe 'hey here's a famous comic doing a silly podcast' lists, they're not bad podcasts but what, does Comedy Bang Bang really need more exposure? Does someone who gives a remote poo poo about a list of best comedy podcasts really need to be reminded WTF exists?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

I've had a free subscription to Rolling Stone for the last couple years (http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3415037&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1). In that span, I have yet to see them give a score lower than 2 stars to a single album. That's the magazine you guys are mad at.

Is anyone mad?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
May be of interest to some here (and also a general recommendation) this week's Comedy Button episode has Adam Sessler as a guest. I haven't listened yet but one of the reasons I love the show is that even though all of them are 'games journalism people' in some way they have zero respect for that field and very pointedly avoid talking games/games industry much, so most likely this should be better than most "HOW WAS X-PLAY!?" type things he'd do.

Also just in general, everyone listen to The Comedy Button.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Oh yea I haven't listened to International Waters in like, months, thanks for reminding me that's a thing that's good.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Greggy posted:

I've started a podcast of my own, Podcasts Are Wonderful, where every week I get a big celebrity (actually one of my children) to come on and tell me about their life and work and then listen to a podcast and talk about it with me. The format is sort of similar to Go Bayside! or It's That Episode. Early reports indicate that it is a good show, but I wanted to make sure I had sound quality nailed down as well as I could before trying to tell everyone in the world about it.

Episode 1: "Will Smith" and I talk about Comedy Bang Bang episode 150. Sound quality is listenable but not great, but there are some pretty funny bits in there.
Episode 2: "Katy Perry" and I talk about Go Bayside! episode 25. Again, pre-new microphone/figuring out good compression settings, so sound is a little rougher.
Episode 3: Live from the LA podcast festival (with a very obedient audience willing to stop cheering the moment I ask them to) featuring "President Obama" and "Queen Elizabeth".
Episode 4: "Gordon Ramsay" comes on to talk about Reality Show Show episode 6. This is the first episode where I think I have the audio quality about as good as I can possibly get it without building a home studio or whatever, and it's also just a really funny show.
Episode 5: "A Vampire" and "A Werewolf" join me to discuss The X Files Files episode 22, which one of them bothered to listen to.

Next week is going to be The Todd Glass Show episode 30 (Juice Genie!) and I have a few more episodes already planned out, but if you want me to do a podcast you like, send me an email at podcastsarewonderful@gmail.com or let me know in the thread. I don't care about swearing but I'd prefer nothing too raunchy because of the nature of my guests.
If you give it a try, thanks for your time!

When I first read this I thought 'I can't tell if this is an elaborate bit or what' and then I listened and oh my god you're the best. Like you and yours may be legitimately a little nuts, but it's in the real good way so you're cool.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
It's gotten to where you can't weirdly describe your slave plantation jerkoff material, directed at the chick you're jerking it to directly, without people getting all uppity. This fuckin country man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

greatn posted:

Not if that's what they're gonna put out. Every podcast I've followed that has ventured into video it's been a major mistake.

I really feel if they wanted to try video, number one they should have started with some on air talent, number two they should have had an original or at least interesting concept, and three they should have made it funny.

Jesse says he's going to make them eat bugs if the kickstarter succeeds, but I don't need to see that episode, I already know exactly how it'd go. Today were eating... Bugs!? Gross! Closer up shot of bugs. Calories: ? Protein: You bet! Fiber: Too much! But these are deep fried with spices. Brian are you gonna eat that? Totally! Wow I thought this would be gross but it's pretty tasty once you get past it's bugs. Flavor is good but the shape is gross.

I don't say this as some MaxFun hater, I donate them I think $25 a month.

Yea I love MaxFun and am also a subscriber but I have just no interest in this, there's so much in the 'we eat WEIRD THINGS' field already and it's always the exact same.

"Eeeew you want me to eat spider?! Ok well I fried it and it tastes like crab kinda. Bugs are gross but also probably gonna be food in the future and that's ok."

"Here's some wacky junk food, chili pepper cherry soda gummies whaaaaaaaaaaat I know these are sold for mass consumption but I bet none of you have heard of THIS zany thing!"

"Here's a food from a brown country WACKY, hm I guess brown people have food too, weird."

Fil5000 posted:

Serial Season 2: Jay Strikes Again

I hope Serial Season 2 covers one of the family members suing NPR for their lovely vulture 'hey middle class bored people I bet YOU can solve this mystery' treatment of an actual crime.

• Locked thread