Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
widunder
May 2, 2002

t3ch3 posted:

He only started doing stand up after The Office, Extras, and the movies.
Yeah, it's a bit weird, he didn't really have to work his way up through the clubs to bigger venues because of his fame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

widunder
May 2, 2002

Cromulent posted:

So usually I am one to defend Joe Rogan, but on yesterday's podcast with Bryan Callen he was insufferable with his Osama conspiracy stuff. Bryan Callen was speaking nothing but logic, explaining to Joe how hard it would be to pull off a fake assassination like this. Joe was clearly not listening/surfing the internet while he was talking, and pretty much no matter what Callen said, Joe would respond with "Yeah. I mean, I agree with everything you said, but the government has lied to us before. Remember the Jessica Lynch story?" He just kept saying that over and over, despite the fact that Callen was shooting down every dumb conspiracy idea Joe had. Really annoying, usually Joe isn't that hard-headed about stuff like that, not sure why he's going with Alex Jones on this one.
Yeah he was unusually annoying. Callen, even if I don't agree with everything he thinks, has lived such a weird life and seen so much weird poo poo and is all in all just more entertaining when he goes off tangents. You kind of just have to remember how high Rogan usually is.

widunder
May 2, 2002
Boy, if you found Rogan interminable during the Callen episode, don't listen to the latest one :smith:

widunder
May 2, 2002
I love Bill Burr. His is the only solo podcast I can tolerate.

widunder
May 2, 2002

SpacePig posted:

Going into it, I thought an hour of listening to him rambling would be too much for me, but I absolutely love it, and he manages to keep it absolutely hilarious the entire time.

And for some reason, every time he pulls away from the mic and yells something, I just lose it. Every. Time.
It's the accent. Anything in a Boston accent is funny.

widunder
May 2, 2002

SammyWhereAreYou posted:

It doesn't get talked about here much anymore because, as I recall, someone flipped out about people going on and on about how much UYD rules. All that praise though is what got me to give it a try and I'm now 130 episodes in. I'm fairly obsessed with it.
It's kind of silly compared to how much people obsess over CDR/CBB, an infinitely unfunny podcast :unsmith:

UYD is popular around here.

widunder
May 2, 2002

bananasinpajamas posted:

Yeah, it's more posts like this that I sorta went off on the UYD love. It's not enough to just praise UYD, but to also bash all the other podcasts people like around here. I don't think anyone cares at all if you talk at length about UYD, it's the superiority complex that's pretty unbearable.
uhm, i was responding to the post that described the post that took offence to uhh yeah dude being raved about here like this thread was all about that podcast and nothing else. i have no problem with other podcasts, even if i find few to be on par with uyd, but i just found it silly since easily more than half of this thread is raging about CBB and its cousins.

widunder
May 2, 2002

Mogambo posted:

This one needs more love. I started listening to it based on this thread, and it's great. They've been really good lately with the insane Tom Bergeron/Zooey Deschanel chat.

I just listened to the latest JJGo, and the game with Greg Behrendt and Josie Long was fantastic. They really need to do whole the "three real things with silly names and one we made up" bit more often.
Another heads-up for TCGTE. Tim and Tom's chemistry is really amazing. Also, Tim is loving funny.

widunder
May 2, 2002

Evil Agita posted:

Do you have a link to the videoblog? I love Duncan and want to see everything of his now.

http://vimeo.com/24967216

widunder
May 2, 2002

big business sloth posted:

200 eps of UYD left to go. I swear to god though if I never find out why Seth doesn't talk in that restaurant I'm gonna go nuts though. Don't tell me if he does. I'll die.
We don't even know where he works. Just accept his neurosis.

widunder
May 2, 2002

SamuraiPaul posted:

When I heard it the first time I thought it was funny too, but he does it a lot on CFN.

Joe Rogan seems mostly harmless when he's talking about science, weed, spirituality and all that silly stuff but I don't enjoy listening to him talk about women. That always gets a little upsetting for me. The nice thing is that his podcast has encouraged me to exercise regularly (I'm not eating healthier, though, so I'm sort of loving it all up, anyway.) In which episodes of the best show was Tom dumping on Rogan? I haven't listened to that show in awhile but I wouldn't mind hearing that.

(I don't think science or spirituality is all that silly. I just think it's silly when Rogan talks about it.)
Yeah I don't enjoy Rogan's underlying misogyni. Bill Burr's issues with women are funny. Joe's aren't.

widunder
May 2, 2002

Conrad_Birdie posted:

As a fan of MBMBaM and as someone who could never really get into UYD, are "getting into dem guts" and "YA DONE GOOFED!" also UYD jargon, because both phrases I say a lot now because of (what I thought) was MBMBaM.
It's "up in your guts" and "you done fell off". Please.

widunder
May 2, 2002
I wish Bill Burr would have his girlfriend on more. They have some great drat chemistry together.

widunder
May 2, 2002

-Atom- posted:

The first 30 seconds of the latest Dumcan Trussel episode of the Joe Rogan Experience is why he's one of the best guests Joe has.
I want to dig him because he's just so drat likable. And his voice is dreamy. And I think he's a pretty funny comedian. And his Drunk History episode was the greatest. But I just can't stand his tangents, no matter how well informed they are. I just don't care. Give me Joey Diaz any day.

widunder
May 2, 2002
It's not strictly a podcast, but can be found on the INTERNET, but the show Uniformed with Bill Burr and Joe DeRosa is fantastic. I've not heard so much poo poo talking in my adult life ever.

widunder
May 2, 2002

Yannick_B posted:

That ship seems to have sailed post-Jordan and Jesse Go.
Yeah, that was really terrible.

widunder
May 2, 2002

Fil5000 posted:

Karl Pilkington is almost certainly a character that Merchant and Gervais created off the back of the real Karl's personality. I honestly can't believe that that guy's real.

It's probably more than Karl is smart enough to play up what works. Listen to the XFM shows from 2001-2002. He's real. And it's like what they've said in the past: they spent months writing a single episode of The Office, how owuld they be able to come up with an hour of Karl every week? And if so, why would they waste it on a radio show?

widunder
May 2, 2002

Fil5000 posted:

I honestly don't think it's fair to compare a single episode of The Office to anything that comes out of Pilkington's mouth. I dislike Gervais a lot, but The Office is a well written and genuinely funny piece of work, I can understand it taking an age to write. I don't think you can say that of Pilkington's nonsense.

I know I'm in a minority here, so I won't keep going on.
I personally think Karl (or rather, their interactions with him) is by far the duo/trio's greatest work. I don't mind Gervais too much (even if he is vastly overrated and a pretty lousy stand-up), but really: there is no way in hell that Karl is a creation of Merchant's and his. At all.

widunder
May 2, 2002

mcvey posted:

Can any recommend some good Joe Rogan episodes?
everything with joey diaz and without eddie bravo

widunder
May 2, 2002
I don't usually trust goon advice due to my intense dislike for CDR/CBB and DLM and the like (although I did find out about UYD here years ago), but man, the Jay Mohr podcast is loving great.

widunder
May 2, 2002

NotWearingPants posted:

Let me guess... you also love the Joe Rogan and Adam Carolla podcasts.

After 136 pages of this thread I'm pretty sure we could devise an intelligence test based on podcast preferences that would be more accurate than anything Mensa has ever come up with. It would be called the Rogan-Thompkins scale.
Adam Carolla is terrible and Joe Rogan I can take in small portions. Why? I like dumb showbusiness stories I guess.

E: The five CBB episodes I tried listening to just featured characters and obnoxious comedians I guess :confused:

widunder fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Aug 18, 2011

widunder
May 2, 2002

A PRIZED MULE! posted:

Redban was pretty loving disgusting in the recent episode where he was complaining about the movie "I Love You Phillip Morris". I've heard bona fide southern white-trash rednecks be more subtle about their raging homophobia than he sounded. He's a goddamn man-child with the brain of an 11 year-old idiot. Again, he somehow managed to win the lottery and fall rear end-backwards into his gig with Rogan and seemingly has never had to have any personal responsibility or exist on his own two feet ever.
Yeah, that was probably the first time I felt genuinely angry at that rear end in a top hat, rather than just the usual general contempt and annoyance.

widunder
May 2, 2002

Dip Facial posted:

Pretty sure that was Joe Rogan Podcast #119: Jan Irvin.

The latest one with Anthony Bourdain was pretty interesting, but I couldn't believe how many times Anthony would answer a question about something and Joe would just reply "Woah............". At one point the silence was so long Bourdain actually started asking Joe questions.

Still an entertaining listen though.
I liked the Bourdain show a lot. You really notice how much Rogan just admires him, and there's very little going down the Rogan rabbit hole going on.

widunder
May 2, 2002

jyrka posted:

Joe Rogan: "What's the population of France and Italy? A couple of million each, right?"
yeah, with his knowledge of how many languages there are in the world and now this... maybe there's more to education than watching documentaries on YouTube.

widunder
May 2, 2002
I think the general legal point that Burr made is correct. There's a difference between financial rights and legal rights to an artistic work. Just because you give it out for free does not grant anyone to make money off it.

widunder
May 2, 2002

-Atom- posted:

Joe did a podcast with Michael Schiavello without Brian.
it had Michael Schiavello though

widunder
May 2, 2002

CharlesWillisMaddox posted:

Again. Were they actually melt downs? Or were they just a director defending a movie he made from critics that didn't like it and you didn't like that?
I am pretty sure he made a big tirade about that critics are worthless and why should anyone get to judge a movie other than the fans and that he will not screen his movies for the press from now on for free. The general reception of his little speech was that it is interesting to note that he didnt mind whenever the critics really loved his movies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

widunder
May 2, 2002

CharlesWillisMaddox posted:

Like I said, one step away from being an IMDB commentator. Despite being a huge fan, I don't follow him on twitter for that exact reason. He's over it by now though, Cop Out is his new whipping post over Jersey Girl.
I did not see Cop Out so I don't have an opinion on it. The point isn't whether or not it was any good, the point of it is that he's a dumb hypocrite who has been in the business for two decades and made millions and should've known a lot better. I mean, I think non-moviemakers who think that "film critics = pointless scum" are morons anyway, but someone whose career was built by the championing by critics... Really?

widunder fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Oct 2, 2011

• Locked thread