Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Majorian posted:

No, retard, I'm saying it's meant to be more of an absurdist joke than an actual impression of the man himself. Calm down.

Dame Sir ALW is actually a really good impression of Andrew Lloyd Webber.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

The_Rob posted:

I also think it was a big thing for them because Dore's wife is a california school teacher. I don't understand how talking about something makes them come off as activist weirdos.

I suspect the reaction has a lot to do with her being a woman.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
In case you were curious, the CDR Christmas CD is hilarious. The Huell and Ice-T tracks are, predictably, awesome, but the highlight for me was Jon Daly's Smooth Little Baby Jazzus.

And here's the We are the World 25.75 video on FoD.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

The pHo posted:

Only started listening to CDR recently so haven't heard all the characters, and the ones I have have been for one or two eps at most. Is the "Best of" going to go over my head? Should I listen to more eps first, or just jump straight into it?

Xmas episode was hilarious, especially the end.

No, you'll be fine. Scott actually assumes that some people haven't listened to the show before and sets up most of the characters. Though, to be fair, only a few really need explanation since many are impressions of famous people or characters like Bill Cosby Bukowski that are impressions of multiple famous people.

Also, I'm not sure why everyone's freaking out here since Lil Gary isn't dead

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Not to mention Ice-T's 365 Dalmatians from the CDDR Christmas album.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Essentially, yes. Scott interviews people involved in the shows, most of whom have been on CDRR before. First up, this week, is Sarah Silverman, according to Scott's twitter today.

But that's not really CDRTV. In the IFC blog post (and I guess on CDRR today but I haven't listened to it) he reveals that he and Patton have a pilot in to Fox currently that might get made, is either a comedy or a drama and will (Maybe!) be titled "Comedy Death Ray!" because exclamation points make people want to watch things.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
WTF is definitely worth your time. Don't expect a lot of laugh-out-loud moments. It's closer to This American Life than a comedy podcast, but it's still funny and consistently interesting. It sucks that the iTunes feed only has the last 50, but more episodes going back to March are available here http://wtfpod.libsyn.com/category/podcasts

Recommendations:
Maria Bamford
Robin Williams
Tom Lennon
Judd Apatow 1 and part 2

The Bamford episode is a great starting point because it's an incredible and very honest interview and starts with a long Maron monologue where he goes through his escape from LA roadtrip and all the poo poo surrounding it. Robin Williams is in his non-manic mode and Tom Lennon talks about the screenwriting and studio process for formulaic kids movies. The Apatow episode includes tapes of him at age 16 interviewing Jerry Seinfeld about comedy.

e: Oh, the Mencia episode is up there too. That's worth a listen for when it goes from :smith: to :gonk:

Joementum fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Jan 6, 2011

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

Is it any good? I remember the short lived AST podcast featured a few that were pretty funny.

If you like The Benson Interruption TV show but thought it was annoying that Doug took two hours of material and edited it down to twenty two minutes, you'll like it because it's literally an unedited version of The Benson Interruption.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
I cannot wait to listen to this:

Marc Maron posted:

http://twitter.com/marcmaron/status/30679980564283393

Looks like I'm going to interview Gallagher today. WTF.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Well I actually made it all the way through Old Dogs in preparation for How Did This Get Made? and the scene that did it for me as a resident of Vermont was when they break into the (non-existent) Burlington Zoo's tropical gorilla enclosure.

Especially since I've been to the San Diego Zoo where it was very obviously filmed.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Kevin Pollak recently said that iTunes will soon have a per-pay-episode option for podcasts, which they currently don't. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see the Earwolf shows move onto using that when it's available since they don't really have any other way to monetize the thing.

The catch will be the price point. I'd gladly buy a NNF-style season pass for the shows I like, but it will mean I'll drop others and probably only buy some of the episodes for shows like How Did This Get Made.

Or maybe they'll just do what Maron's doing now and charge for the back catalog. That seems pretty smart, since you get people hooked on the new shows and then if they want more they can pay a bit and get them and it also doesn't lose any of the current subscribers.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
On the plus side, Jeff Ulrich revealed on the last wolfden podcast that his plan for monetizing Earwolf involves wifi reception in people's cars.

So that won't be happening any time soon.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Faikon posted:

I really have not been able to get into it. Something about the way Kremer speaks really puts me off

His pronunciation of banana perhaps?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

shotgunbadger posted:

I think that's what bugs me about him, I still think he's a stereotypical 'bitter old comedian' and all but like, he seems like a really NICE bitter old comedian, which makes it hard to really dislike him much. He seems like a guy I'd genuinely enjoy talking to, even if I dislike a lot of things he says or something.

A couple of people in this thread have labelled Maron as a "bitter old" comedian and I think you're missing the point, or perhaps the joke. Marc's mentioned several times that he considers himself in the line of neurotic Jewish comedians like Woody Allen and, as A Prized Mule mentioned, Richard Lewis. His monologues at the beginning aren't him complaining about his life, they're meant to be self-deprecating neurotic self-analysis and I'm certain that he's self-aware of how he comes off in these pieces. It's basically his act: he lays everything out there without a filter and then tries to find humor it in.

I get why people are turned off by it, why some people don't want to listen to it, but it's not just a guy bitching for ten minutes about his career.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Giamatti is my least favorite Adomian character, but when Reggie turned the repeater on during it I laughed for at least a full minute.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Just the fact that they're watching the movie means they're doing an average of 89 more minutes of prep than is done for CDRR each week.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
I wish there were *more* parody songs on CDRR. Specifically, it's been a long time since the last Weirder Scott (and Weirdest Kulap) release and I'd love another one. Tangelo is still my favorite and he only played it once on Episode 20 (at ~minute 35) and I don't think anyone bothered reposting it anywhere.

Joementum fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Mar 7, 2011

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Please let Harris Wittells call into that constantly.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
The Kathleen Madigan episode has been my favorite since Dave Foley. I didn't expect to like it as much as I did because I didn't really like her special, but her road stories with Lewis Black are hilarious and the interview very quickly turns into just a fun conversation between her and Marc.

Also, Marc is totally right and I would watch the hell out of a TV show of her and Lewis touring the country and encouraging people to drinking and gamble.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

Other than PFT, Scott Aukerman may be the funniest NNF guest. He's always so delighted with his own terrible jokes.

That's why Mike Detective is so great. Seven solid minutes of awful puns and references with absolutely no shame.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
I think Alan Rickman may be my new favorite Adomian character.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

big business sloth posted:

Ahahah no that sounds awesome, I don't even care that I spoiled myself

It's both incredibly awkward and incredibly awesome. The last ten minutes of this week's CDRR are only faulted in that they left out the only good segment on the show.

On a different topic, does anyone else think that Maron recorded the intros to the Carolla and Rogan episodes as intentionally over-the-top Maron pontification safaris because he knew those were going to get a ton of downloads? The first fifteen minutes of each seemed like he was pushing that "character" to its extreme, more so than he's done in most other episodes and I can't help but think that its done knowingly. Seems like the type of thing that would drive away an audience, but that would fit his personality.

Also I wish there were clips of the VH1 Never Mind the Buzzcocks episodes he hosted in 2003 because I totally believe him that they were terrible but that's just the kind of train wreck I'd love to witness.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
I'm honestly surprised he didn't include Natasha Leggero to complete the trifecta of women guests that goons complain about.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Notaro is very fond of interupting people and knocking things off their groove (like Bob Ducca's list of ailments. Interfering with Bob Ducca is unforgivable. :colbert:)

And you inadvertently prove my point, since that was Natasha on the episode with Bob Ducca's list of ailments. :v:

Anyway, to bring the thread back to a happier place, Brody "the anti-Wittels" Stevens' appearance on this week's Who Charted? is naturally awesome. He bombastic self-deprecation is especially hilarious.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Ugly In The Morning posted:

(Episode 51.2, right at the beginning).

Eh. You're right. I was getting that and episode 55 mixed up.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
I think it's great that the character Don Dimello is really bad at improv role playing.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
The absence of Who Charted? from that list is shameful. I don't think there's a single episode where I haven't coughed from laughing so hard yet and this week's is certainly no exception. I'm only 20 minutes into it but Thomas Lennon deconstructing rap lyrics and hoping for a fascist regime so we get some good party jams already has me doubled over.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
After drinking Four Loko for the first time over the weekend and suffering a hangover that's near the top of my worst ever list, I decided to listen to the Best Show Four Loko episode tonight and it is completely spot on about the experience from Aimee Mann's initial description of it being the worst hangover ever right on through their not-at-all-slow descent into drunkeness throughout the show and the sounds of people recoiling in horror at their first sip throughout.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

benito posted:

I don't know what Chris Rock is up to at the moment, but he seems like a natural host. He had his own late night show on HBO, and on top of that, gets to draw on stories from standup, SNL, working with Louis CK, long affiliation with Adam Sandler, making movies both good and bad, having his own TV sitcom, etc. A broad comedy resume, a good talent for jokes and storytelling...

You're going to want to clear some time in your schedule this Friday.

http://www.hbo.com/#/comedy/talking...XIyMgIAblQXOA==

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Fair warning: watching that Talking Funny HBO special will permanently ruin an Otis Redding song for you.

It's hilarious, but I will never be able to hear that song again without thinking of that awful/genius parody.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
I can see how people who don't like Heidecker and Neil Hamburger would have hated it, but then, maybe those people shouldn't try to listen to something clearly marked as an hour of them talking. v:shobon:v

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Neil Hamburger is a lot better with an audience since most of the fun in anti-humor is playing off people's reactions to it, which is why I think this thread is really funny right now.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
When Maron pitched the TV version of WTF he wanted to make it a wacky news story show with him and a female co-host. Basically, he wanted a station to buy a version of Break Room Live where he replaced Sam Seder with a woman. This was back during the days of the first couple dozen episodes of the podcast when he was still recording it in the Air America studios. It's not really hard to figure out why the idea wasn't picked up. He mentioned a pilot once, but I'm not sure it even got to the point where they filmed that.

I'm actually glad WTF isn't a TV show though. For one, he never would get interviews where people forget they're being interviewed. Anything with a camera means you're going to have more people in the room and people will get self conscious really quick. The WTF with Maria Bamford would never have been as interesting if it weren't recorded while they were just driving together. Another really great thing about podcasts is that there's no time limit and no editing. With TV you have to have exactly a certain number of minutes in each episode. With a podcast it's no big deal if you spend another seven minutes one week getting the full version of a story.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

caveman thug poo poo posted:

Nobody rambles better than PFT.

I disagree. The Smartest Man in the World with Greg Proops is the ultimate in rambling solo comedian podcasts.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
It's actually good news if Jeff is going to try to monetize on donations and the back catalog. All the early episodes of The Wolf Den were him talking about more specialized ad spot agreements, like the Sklar's do with Legal Zoom, though the LZ ad rep admitted that the ads weren't making them any money, so maybe that's why he's switching the strategy.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Jet Jaguar posted:

How much of LegalZoom not making money on the calming shores of Sklarbro Country is due to them being a bad fit with a comedy audience? Maybe they were banking on more Rome followers when they decided to sponsor the show, sorta like how the sports section of the paper is full of divorce attorney ads.

I'm reminded of the grill enhancer that advertised on WTF for a couple of episodes. Maron seems to have Audible and adamandeve.com as sponsors pretty regularly, so those must be somewhat effective.

IIRC Audible and adamandeve.com have advertising agreements through the company that runs libsyn which hosts just about every podcast and they take a huge chunk of the ad revenue (north of 50%) for themselves. That's why you hear those on a ton of different podcasts: the companies made agreements with the hosting provider and they just go for a blanket strategy.

As for why other advertising isn't making money on podcasting, I think they're just not selling enough time. Terrestrial radio does somewhere between a third and half of their total on air time as ads and runs them in 6-15 minute long chunks with the host doing additional advertising during the show. I'm not sure that strategy is ever going to work for podcasting and I'm not sure what will, but I'd bet on network subscription (i.e. $2-5/mo for all Earwolf shows) being the most viable until listening to podcasts in the car gets more mainstream.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
By the way, I do think there's a reason that "sitting on a cock 'cuz I'm gay" is funny. It has to do with the attitude of the song it's parodying. (Sittin' on) the Dock of the Bay is such a timeless, somber classic that you don't expect the joke to be just that stupid. It's one of those "so dumb it's funny" moments in the same class as awful puns. I think you could even do a good version of that joke with a slow intro into the song and then just lay right into that line.

And, yes, of course you do the whistle.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

shotgunbadger posted:

Good lord, how does he do comedy this long and is unable to handle heckling?

He only started doing stand up after The Office, Extras, and the movies.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
I can't wait for Todd Barry to be on Who Charted to read the posts in here complaining about it.

Also because he'd be a great guest and that'd be a great episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Brekelefuw posted:

CBB may have run out of ideas if their idea of an hour of comedy involves a drunken rollerblading christmas tree.

You're nuts. This is a classic CDRR/CBB episode. There's nothing that's changed about the attitude of this show at all. The drunken rollerblading christmas tree is absurd, but going on about "treeing your mind", asking his opinion of DeForest Kelley and the limericks are hilarious.

• Locked thread