Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WoG
Jul 13, 2004

bananasinpajamas posted:

Here's a good place to find all the old episodes of Doug Loves Movies (formerly I Love Movies).
Thanks for this -- I just started listening maybe 3 months ago, and the backlog didn't cover more than a dozen or so eps.

(FWIW, though, DLM still pales in comparison to CDR, uhhyeahdude, and the bugle.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

Robot Hobo posted:

Is there any way to subscribe to this if I'm not using iTunes?
All of the RSS feeds I found seem to just link directly to the main Times Online page.
MP3:
http://podcast.timesonline.co.uk/rss/thebuglemp3.rss
M4A:
http://podcast.timesonline.co.uk/rss/thebugle.rss

Both work in google reader for me.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

Scylla posted:

At this point I'd say Tell 'em Steve-Dave is much better than Smodcast. Episodes 12-13 (Makin' Hay I-II) are absolutely hilarious.
Hmm, I might actually check this out. It didn't take long to get loving tired of Kevin on smodcast, but Bryan Johnson was easily the best guest. On the other hand, given that they both run comic book stores, they might only talk about poo poo I don't care about...

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

Strange Matter posted:

The hour long interview format got on my nerves because Adam's attention span is too short and he ends up spinning off into rants about his loathesome politics.
Yeah, an hour of ~75% adam was too much adam. Far better to have 90+ mins of 99% adam.

gently caress his morning zoo bullshit (a wacky sfx board? really?). I grabbed any ep with a decent guest under the old format, but if I wanted to listen to FM time-killing during my commute, I could've saved some money on my ipod input.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

CharlesWillisMaddox posted:

I hate that this topic is like some celebrity radio show blowfest, it's the reason actual good podcasts can't get listeners because everyone is always "Holy poo poo a celebrity is doing a podcast! Let's all listen!" Adam Carolla is the worst.
Well, I don't like Carolla either, but there's a reason professional entertainers became such, and a reason two-dipshits-in-a-bedroom-making-dick-jokes-into-$30-usb-mics podcasts are utter poo poo 99% of the time. Hate on a specific show all you want, but it's pretty ridiculous to paint anyone of non-podcast-related notability with the same brush. (Gervais? Maron? Does Aukerman count?)

I'm pretty sure Seth works at a video store, he's dropped some hints a few times and it's where he met Jonathan.
Eh, that was like a decade ago; I doubt it's still the case. I know there were several discussions on the subject at the uyd forums, but I haven't been there in far too long to know if it was ever resolved.

Strange Matter posted:

Bald Bryan's sfx board was great though.
You can't judge.
No, it isn't, and of course I can. If I wanted lame, repetitive content, some dude rambling to fill time, wacky noises, and a useless, sycophantic broad reading pieces of paper to the host to trigger more rambling, I could get all the 'content' I want from Stern's 17 hrs/day of show.

WoG fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Aug 24, 2010

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

A PRIZED MULE! posted:

While I'm quoting you, can you explain the whole "Forums Cancer" thing? I guess I didn't hear about it. Are you trained or something?

When someone posts at some unspecified rate in the poo poo forums (rfa), that gets attached to their account automatically, along with some other stuff like the submit button not working half the time, etc. It's a scheme for rewarding poo poo posters by 'punishing' them, and probably raking in some cash selling 'cures' and poo poo.

modeski posted:

I may be a loving retard, but where the gently caress is the Uhh Yeah Dude archive? I want to start listening from episode one, because that's just how I roll, but for the life of me I can't see where the media is on the official website.
Either throw the RSS feed in some sort of reader, or if you want to listen online/download manually, check out podcastalley (down at the moment).

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

Phone posted:

PFT gets a lot of respect, but I love the hell out of Nick Kroll's characters. I could listen to Jon Hamm, Bobby Bottleservice, and El Chupacabra all day.
Hey now, afaik, Jon Hamm is not a Nick Kroll character.

They don't add ... quiz shows later (thankfully)
Let us not forget Racehorse/Medical Marijuana/From My Mind's Eye. Best gameshow ever.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

soru posted:

It's a littler funnier if you've ever seen the documentary Exit Through The Gift Shop (which you should).

Hah, that's it! I watched Exit the other night, and couldn't remember where I'd just heard 'Mr. Brainwash'. We're talking about less than a week here, drat.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004
I'm not at all proud of how momentarily excited I was to see there are two UYDs this week.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

A PRIZED MULE! posted:

It's called "Live at the Purple Onion", and it's a masterpiece. (available streaming on Netflix)
I'd never even heard of it before a few weeks ago, but be sure to check out the EP 'Patton vs. Alcohol vs. Zach vs. Patton', too. The title pretty much describes it.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

Narwhale posted:

I think this new podcast is just those old segments cut out.

That's just the 'soft launch'. New eps will be new disputes.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

The_Rob posted:

Jesus the latest CDR is cracking me up so loving hard. at around the halfway mark it just goes off the rails.

Trying to eat while listening to Ice-T and Ventura was not at all a wise move.

That was easily one of CDR's best episodes.

HipGnosis posted:

Jon Hamm's interview on the free full length NNF was just astounding. I was listening to it at my desk and when they started doing their Cajun accents I was literally crying.
I'm only a few episodes into the latest season of mad men, so I haven't listened to that one yet -- do they actually discuss the show, or should I go ahead and throw it on my ipod?

WoG fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Nov 18, 2010

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

krushgroove posted:

*sigh* is there a goon place I can ask about tech issues? Basically, why iTunes sucks and won't refresh my feedburner feed? I can't get iTunes to show my feed at all, while Google Reader shows it just fine (but Google Listen - Android app does not, which is even more weird).

I really want to share my podcast with the thread but want to have working in iTunes properly.
Well, I can't tell from your post if it just won't refresh, or if it's not showing up at all, but:
http://tipsforrunningpodcasters.blogspot.com/2009/01/getting-itunes-to-update-immediately.html

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

Phone posted:

Like the whole thing or... ? Link please.
He gave you the link, but that video seems to be down. Patrice O'neal's upcoming special is there, though, if anyone cares about him.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

The_Rob posted:

That's whats so funny. The whole interview it seemed like he wanted to try and get across that he is just a comedian, and he just tell jokes, but then he would start talking about himself and comedians so seriously. He is an odd dude.
The strangest part was how proud he is of not writing his own material, but just reciting jokebooks.

BTW, it's the 1st -- new pod f tompkast is out

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

t3ch3 posted:

Giamatti is my least favorite Adomian character, but and when Reggie turned the repeater on during it I laughed for at least a full minute.
fixed

Reggie, I can usually take or leave, but his giamatti remix alone made this appearance worthwhile.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

Jeff Wiiver posted:

There's no way in hell they even remember saying that. :ssh:

I'm sure 20 nerds have already texted jonathan about it.

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Great news everyone

The Marc Maron app is now Free

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/wtf-with-marc-maron/id382646636?mt=8
Judging from the 'top in-app purchases', that free download gets you little or nothing. You still have to pay for the content.

WoG fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Mar 2, 2011

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

NecronSchmecron posted:

Wait... Steve Agee has a podcast?!
Yeah, it's pretty good -- make sure you sub from here (or in the itunes store), not the web.me address more easily found via google. He just came back from a several-month hiatus due to the hassle in getting itunes to switch feeds.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

That sounds like a great show that will be cancelled after one season for the return of Mind of Mencia never even get picked up.
Fixed.

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

Yes, I am still bitter about Stella.
Word.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004
Good CDR Radio, but the mix was so drat low I couldn't listen in my car, even with the volume pegged.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

catpowerd posted:

Does anyone know what Jah was arrested for last year? I noticed he mentioned it a few times on UYD.

http://uhhyeahdude.com/index.php/wiki/Episode_238/

quote:

25:17 – Jah is trying to remember where he got arrested in North Carolina. It was Asheville. He got arrested for mushrooms there this year. They were a gift from a UYD listener. It was a Schedule 1 offense where he was. In the counties outside of it it would’ve been a misdemeanor ticket, but he was facing 15 months in prison for it. Jah said it was fine now because he’s adhering to his probation. Seth says the real reason it’s fine is because they got ahold of Jah’s dad. Jah was playing a show, and when he got off stage, the guy corralled them all in the green room and searched their stuff. No one else on the tour had a stitch of drugs on them, so Jah was the only one sinking the ship. While he was sitting in the police station, Jah saw some people. The dude closest to him sat down, his shoes were off and he had blood streaming down his face. He had split his forehead open. He had slammed directly into a brick wall in his car. He was 22 years old and kept saying “I’m going to jail, bro.” It was his third strike for DUI. Meanwhile Jah was just sitting there petrified, not wanting to be where he was. There was another guy next to this dude who kept asking if he could go to the bathroom. Everyone who was there, the police knew their first names. Finally let they let the dude go to the bathroom after 45 minutes, and about 10 minutes later, he walks out and has just poo poo all over the floor. Jah was beside himself. He said getting arrested in the South is the real deal – it’s not like getting arrested in Malibu.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

Admiral Goodenough posted:

I'll check these out too, thanks :)

Nah don't sweat it, you either like it or you don't. I don't know why all the fans in this thread are so hardcore. I thought UYD of all things would give birth to the chillest fanbase ever, but apparently not.
Take my word for it: never set foot in their forums. It's my favorite podcast, too, but that is the most aggro bunch of snarling sycophants you'll find this side of the Gathering of the Juggalos.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

A Fistful of Dicks posted:

Brodie Stephens is always amped like that, he rules and I thank Joe Rogan for turning me on to him.

I'm developing a huge gay crush on Joe Rogan

Same here...I'm glad that I've finally reached the point that my weekly podcast downloads are so extensive that they can last me until the next week.
I used to be able to fit audiobooks into my commute time, too, but these days my podcast load is at full saturation.

God help me if I get a closer job.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004
^ I'm not one to let my uyd fandom make me care about his music at all, but that jogger album is really good. I might have made the two hour drive to catch their closest show on that last tour, if the night had been free.

CDR was gold this week. I just about died at the alternate dimension infection and Don's last tidbit.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004
I never realized Hardwick was the first to come up with funny-clothes-on-an-animal. Perhaps I'm not giving this guy enough credit, after all.

I grab his podcast very occasionally if a great guest is on (in strict interviewer mode, he's alright, and the cohosts are at least unobtrusively useless), but whenever he turns the comedy switch on*, I can't stand him. His DLM/Ferguson/etc appearances are just grating. He's too convinced that vulgarity and doing a nerd voice are funny in and of themselves, and has a tendency to -- rather than make jokes that fit into a discussion -- stop (read: shout over) everything to shoehorn in setups for his own punchlines.

*ie, takes a sudden jump to FULL VOLUME YELLING ABOUT loving poo poo PUSSY STAR WARS EXTERRRRMINATE gently caress.

I'm not saying he's a douchebag for it (dunno about this takedown incident), or not a good guy, just that other skills than comedic talent (affability, showmanship, looks) probably landed him his hosting gigs, and thus a higher profile in the comedy world than he'd otherwise warrant.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

mid posted:

For all you Tig Notaro fans, Earwolf dropped this new podcast.
god drat it, will earwolf slow the gently caress down already? I only have so much time per week.

edit: also, gently caress the last few posters for making me waste a minute searching for 'comedy bang bang' in itunes before I realized the obvious.

WoG fucked around with this message at 17:09 on May 2, 2011

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

habanero walrus posted:

He's definitely not stupid, he's just ignorant about most things outside of his interests (like most people), and spends 2-4 hours in front of a microphone rambling while stoned every week. If you think he's literally stupid, you haven't spent enough time on the internet.

He also generally admits that he's wrong when corrected which is more than can be said about the vast majority of people and seems overall like an ok guy, so I don't have any issues with being entertained with his podcast, even though he occasionally drops in some dumb poo poo.

Wasn't it recently demonstrated in this thread that Rogan, after doing extensive research, came to the conclusion that the moon landing was fake? If you don't want to call that stupidity, fine, but it's an irrationality indistinguishable therefrom, and you're just splitting hairs.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

TransatlanticFoe posted:

I've been listening to The Wolf Den, this seems like it's more of a donation thing then starting to actually charge for content.
Yeah, I don't listen to Wolf Den often, but at least in the Jesse Thorn episode, Jeff didn't seem like he was leaning toward the NNF model.

I have no problem with the CDR => CBB name change, per se, but

is such a better logo than

I was planning to pick up the uncomfortable aukerman shirt at some point, but that window's almost certainly closed (for those of us of standard human size, at least).

WoG
Jul 13, 2004
I love Tig on other shows, but yes, professor blastoff was terrible. Her talent is not in leading a discussion, and the co-hosts weren't quick enough for their roles, either.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

NotWearingPants posted:

Can someone explain Tig Notaro to me or maybe point me to something where she's actually funny?

Is it supposed to be an anti-comedy thing where it's funny because she's never funny?

In her latest CDR appearance she not only did her normal monotone thing, but the only time you really seem to get anything out of her is when she's trying to step on someone else's bits. I don't care if chupacabra mispronounced a word Ms. Notaro, stop getting in the way of my laughs!
Perhaps the most basic principle of humor is the alteration of expectation. A clear example of doing that is defying the understood rules of an improv game by, eg, 'stepping on someone's bit'.

Do you find it funny when Scott tries to throw Andy Daly off his game by grilling him about timelines and inconsequential details?

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

Geekslinger posted:

Bald Bryan is a prime example of someone who would mop the floor if given the chance, but gets screwed out by the other players trying to one up his over zealous bids.

On the other hand, it's not at all entertaining to listen to people who take the game that seriously. Imagine listening to a poker game.

Carolla's in the Kevin Smith territory for me. I can't claim he's talentless or unfunny, but he has a limited schtick and a finite number of entertaining stories, and between loveline, the man show, and the few pre-morning-zoo eps of his podcast I caught, I've heard it all five times over. He has nothing new or surprising to bring to the table.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

shotgunbadger posted:

Yea if you listened to the first two going 'eeeh I don't know' like me, this will win you over again, it's great.

(haven't listened to the new one, but...)

I have no idea why people were trying to judge CBB like it was new and unknown. IT'S EXACTLY THE SAME SHOW.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

bango skank posted:

I missed the first ten minutes of [a] podcast...
What?

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

Wise Old Shitashi posted:

PFT returned to Stop Podcasting Yourself today.

Pretty good.
I don't normally listen to SPY, but this ep was brilliant. It's a rare podcast that actually makes me laugh aloud, repeatedly*.

*though that is mostly pft. Just thinking of the phrase "helicopter rides!" still cracks me up.

gently caress the haters, Adam Pally was more than solid on CBB. (on a side note, anyone who hasn't read his livetweeting of a flight with tim robbins needs to do so.)

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

shotgunbadger posted:

I think if he either A) drops the game, or B) gets out of UCB and actually does his podcast in a studio or something so he doesn't have to go "OH GOD FIVE MINUTES HURRY HURRY HURRY" the podcast would be leaps and bounds better.
I think he might have a harder time scraping together three known guests every week if it weren't being taped at a place and before a show where everyone was already congregating.

e: Sure, 3 guests wouldn't be necessary if it weren't for the game, but I don't know how much I'd enjoy the show if it shifted toward Doug-as-a-personality rather than Doug as ringmaster for a comic panel.

WoG fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Jun 23, 2011

WoG
Jul 13, 2004
^^ haven't listened yet, but the new CBB is the one cohosted by whoever won the charity auction. Wittels + Gelman has to be solid no matter who's hosting, but we'll see...

Also, it's the 1st! New Superego and Pod F. Tompkast!

(Just when I was starting to catch up on my backlog, first a five and a half hour Hardcore History drops yesterday, now like 5 new shows are out today (above + the usual DLM & Sklarbro)

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

The_Rob posted:

Do people really not like Tig this much? I have found her funny every time I have heard her. Good One Robot is also the best.
Don't worry, man, we're not alone. I just tend to not listen to podcasts I don't like, rather than whining and whining and whining and whining about them every single goddamned time they come out.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

Maarak posted:

Anyone remember an episode of The Best Show where Scharpling ranted about the musical/movie Rent? Added difficulty, might not have been The Best Show, but I'm pretty sure it was him.

Might it have been an 'A bit of a chat' with Scharpling?

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

xdrquinnx posted:

I felt the same way about her. It's like having a real-life Daria sitting in the room being dismissive and smug while everyone else is trying to be funny. And I wouldn't mind that so much were it not for the fact that people like Scott Aukerman and Paul F. Tompkins seem to like her so much. I have to sit there thinking, "PFT is an extremely clever, funny guy and he loves her.. but she's unpleasant and not funny.. but she must be if he likes her.. but.."

On the plus side, it makes PFT's appreciation of Jen Kirkman seem less baffling in comparison.
Hey guys. Seriously. We get it. Your disapproval has been thoroughly noted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

-Atom- posted:

Michael Ian Black seriously had a 20 minute story about his fictional past with Ian McShane.

That show's so drat great, it's hard to believe it doesn't get more discussion here

• Locked thread