Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Anything good in the new Jack Gallagher episode of WTF? I listened for about 20 minutes and got bored.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Throatwarbler posted:

I don't get Who Charted. The basic format for every single chart they do is something like:

<Music or movie>
Howard: What is this poo poo? I've never heard of it before.
Guest I've never loving heard of: Me either/Yeah, it sure is poo poo, huh? Look at me I only listen to/watch indie stuff.

I guess I'm not the target audience since I love pop/top 40 music. I don't have a TV and rarely listen to the radio, half of the music on my ipod is stuff I heard for the first time when they covered it in Glee so it's all fresh to me. A show with just Kulap would be vastly more entertaining interesting.

There's only been 2 or 3 guests I've "never loving heard of" but I almost never know the music they're talking about. That's not the point. The point is Howard, Kulap and the guest using the charts as a jumping off point for hilarity.

I can't think of a single guest who said "I only listen to/watch indie stuff" or anything approaching that.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Flamazot posted:

Does anyone listen to Totally Laime? I never followed the Earwolf Challenge or anything but I saw Totally Laime on the Earwolf site a couple of days ago and it's actually pretty neat. Some good episodes to start off with are Paul F. Tompkins, Andy Daly, Eddie Pepitone, Jen Kirkman and Paul Scheer. That's actually pretty much all I've listened to so far but I'm liking it.

They talk about Oprah too much though

I listened to maybe 5 episodes when she was in the challenge, starting with the PFT one. I also listened to the recent Matt Besser ep. It's okay but unless it's a guest you really care about it's not very compelling listening. I think the Oprah bit is actually kinda funny in that they're so self-conscious about how terrible it is but they keep doing it anyway.

I have started subscribing to Little Dum Dum Club, however, and that's a lot more fun. It's like TOFOP's baby brother.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

annatar posted:

WTF 220 with Hannibal Buress, 22:15 before the interview starts.

Yeah I noticed that too. I wonder if that's a new record for Maron.

Not a great interview, either.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

I think Maron should do a follow-up interview with that guy and find out why he's devoted his life to white knighting Carrot Top instead of focusing on his own career.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

It's mostly negative iTunes reviews that upset podcasters. They depend on positive reviews/ratings to keep them higher on the charts, which gives them greater visibility and potentially more ad revenue. It's one thing to bitch and moan about a podcast here, but doing it in an iTunes review is kind of a dick move, especially when the show is free.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Tomorrow on WTF: Chris Rock. Here's a taste.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

I just hope they put a moratorium on "airport sounds" and Steve Agee.

edit: and Doug Benson plugs

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Fil5000 posted:

I went to a meeting with one of our technology suppliers last week and the guy presenting looked EXACTLY like Mr Show era PFT. I mean, EXACTLY. It was incredibly distracting - I'm in the UK so I suspect no-one else in the room would have been thinking the same thing.

The FedEx guy who delivers to our office building looks alarmingly like Louis CK. I do a double-take every time.

Also the UPS guy kinda looks like Rich Hall.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

It's just a really average show. I can't imagine anyone being psyched to listen to it (even the hosts seem kinda bored doing it), but it kills an hour in a fairly pleasant way.

Little Dum Dum Club totally should have won the Earwolf Challenge. It's a lot more entertaining.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Flamazot posted:

I listened to the Wolf Den once but Jeff started talking about podcast monetization and sponsorship, and one of his ideas he had for CBB was to make Would You Rather segments about their sponsors. The example he gave was that they'd do WYR scenarios about Bud Light.

He was serious

And wasn't the whole Cyberthug debacle centered around how Ulrich wanted to make them sign some kind of restrictive and/or greedy contract?

Plus, he's 50% to blame for Totally Laime getting on Earwolf instead of Little Dum Dum Club.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

I'm not a big fan of that brand of improv, but there's been at least one segment each episode that I really enjoyed.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Is there anything new in the Patrice episode (like an intro or anything) or is it the same old episode?

EDIT: answering my own question... there's about 4.5 minutes of intro and a few seconds at the end

FitFortDanga fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Nov 30, 2011

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Thelonius Van Funk posted:

By the way, if you aren't listening to improv4humans, you should, it's really funny. Also, since it's audio first the sketches fit the format better and I enjoy it much more than the Asscat podcast

The new episode is the best so far. Andy Daly has the Midas touch.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

plastered quack posted:

Looks like Earwolf is releasing another podcast, this one hosted by Jon Daly:

I think that brings the total to ~17 podcasts from Earwolf? Still, this one is probably worth checking out, he does a number of funny characters on CBB.

This... sucks. Even Bill Cosby Bukowski falls very flat without other people reacting to him.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

I think the one-man podcast is really hard to pull off. Ham Radio was my least favorite in the Earwolf Challenge, Gelmania is already wearing thin, and although PFT is my favorite comedian, the "Great Undiscovered Project" segments have never worked for me.

Ironically, Mike Schmidt's podcast would be good if it wasn't for Lily's unbearable cackling at every loving word out of his mouth.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Tig is funny in conversation. Her podcast, Professor Blastoff, is one of my favorites and I typically enjoy her appearances on CBB. I do agree her stand-up isn't that great, though.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Fil5000 posted:

You say that, but that goddamned Taylor Dane story of hers goes on for ages without actually going anywhere. I don't know if it's supposed to be a bit, but there's just no joke in it anywhere.

I think it's funny, but trying to explain funny is a lost cause.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Nothing Great posted:

Comedy Bang Bang
Walking the Room
Mike and Tom Eat Snacks
Doug Loves Movies
WTF with Marc Maron

I subscribe to these and have had no problems downloading them in iTunes.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

hardly any dick jokes, what a lovely comic

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Mr. Squishy posted:

And it's not computer noises, it's his pianist friend Eban Schletter in another room.

Actually it does start with computer noises.

Solar Cuckulator posted:

ok i guess a one man podcast is just not for me then. i have weird taste in humor.

...he really couldn't find one loving guy to do the podcast with? or a topic of any kind?

Yeah, PAUL F. TOMPKINS, who's been on every podcast ever, just couldn't find someone to do it with. It wasn't a decision he made or anything, he just does it solo out of necessity.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

indigi posted:

lol, what in the world is this based on?

His podcast? I know many times I've listened and cringed at his superficial (or flat-out incorrect) understanding of the things he's trying to educate Karl about. I'm not saying he's stupid, but he's definitely not as wise as he thinks he is. I suppose hanging around Karl gives you an inflated sense of your own intelligence.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Isn't Totally Laime out of New York?

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

I'll second TOFOP, especially if you like Walking the Room. A little too much Batman discussion for my taste, but it's always an entertaining listen.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

http://www.avclub.com/articles/in-defense-of-podcasts-even-if-they-dont-make-mone,72019/

quote:

listeners won’t hear another season of Earwolf Challenge

:(

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

plastered quack posted:

Interesting article. I always wondered what podcasts were paid from Audible.com ($15 per referral to 30-day trial).

I was shocked the number was that high. I figured it was $1, tops. I guess Audible would have some pretty decent profit margins though.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Popelmon posted:

(like when both of them didn't know who David Gordon Green was when they were talking about Your Highness and they just assumed he was some lovely new director that never did anything worth watching. Using IMDB is really hard!)

I don't get outraged over things comics say on podcasts, but that would have driven me bonkers.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Glitterbomber posted:

I've gotten sick of Walking the Room, between them using it as a place to bitch about their personal stuff, their 'open and honest' stuff is mainly just being bitter/hateful about anything around them. At least when podcasts like A Mediocre Time do it they usually splice in some jokes and general 'well life isn't so bad really' stuff to break up the stuff.

We have a WTR thread. But don't post there, because your opinions on things are terrible.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

If you can only afford one, stay current. But it's worth listening to the entire run from the beginning.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

I was unbelievably excited to hear him talking about Nightmare Alley. One of my favorite movies.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

I don't mind a few minutes of advertising on the hours of absolutely free entertainment Earwolf provides for me every week.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Uh yeah... That's a super awesome banner, bro

Am i missing something?

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Popelmon posted:

Is anybody listening to The Apple Sisters? I listened to two episodes yesterday and I really liked it. They are ridiculously energetic.

Yeah they're great for a while but I got tired of their shtick after about a dozen episodes.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Conduit for Sale! posted:

Ugh, the week I finally unsubscribe from Professor Blastoff and Who Charted

Shame on you.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Binowru posted:

I've only listened to a little bit of the Long Shot Podcast. Have I just not listened to enough of it, or is Eddie completely different on there than he is elsewhere? (i.e. a raving madman)

He doesn't do raving madman on Dana Gould Hour either. He'll occasionally get into a rant on Long Shot, but don't expect the kind of thing he does on the WTF live shows.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

ElCondemn posted:

His show is pretty bad (The Longshot)

The dynamic can be hard to take sometimes, but I wouldn't call it "pretty bad". I generally enjoy listening to it.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

FitFortDanga posted:

ElCondemn posted:

His show is pretty bad (The Longshot)
The dynamic can be hard to take sometimes, but I wouldn't call it "pretty bad". I generally enjoy listening to it.

Okay, well, I take that back. I finally gave up on Long Shot. Finding out what Sean Conroy looks like didn't help. I hate the mental image of all that smug, sarcastic condescension coming out of his goony face.

I'll just have to be satisfied with Pepitone's appearances on Dana Gould Hour and the occasional WTF live show.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

indigi posted:

I am really surprised at how bummed I am that TOFOP is over. I know they'd only released like two episodes in the past four months, but the official announcement really got to me. It sucks that there's nobody to be mad at or blame, too, I wish both of those dudes the best. I'm gonna miss those guys :(

Yeah it's a huge bummer. I might resubscribe to Little Dum Dum Club to get my Aussie fix, but it's not the same.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Eric Andre was terrible on Who Charted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

UP AND ADAM posted:

New Pod F. Tompkast! That's right, he was going to do a new one every week (for October?). :D

Listening to it now. Great Undiscovered Project continues to run out of steam, but Tom Lennon's appearance is loving gold.

• Locked thread