Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Geekslinger
Jan 30, 2005

A PRIZED MULE! posted:

"Yeah, I mean c'mon! I'm sick of this 'swiper no swiping!' what the hell? I used to play football! My dad never came to my games, but I'm not bitter! Hey legitimate movie star, I made a movie once! Maybe you've seen it. Let me tell you about the ins and outs of the movie biz... Hey! My personal friend that I hired as a producer: quit loving the show up/close the door I can hear you/ p.s. you're a Jew! Let me tell you about how I hate Mexicans, and in particular the Mexicans I hire to do my menial labor. Hey famous guest, did that make you feel awkward? Did I mention this whole show is taking place in a garage full of my sweet cars that I own? Let me tell you all about cars whether you like it or not. Here's where I bitch about how I hate Los Angeles. How many times can I say 'swing a hammer' so people know I was once a working man? You guys know Dr. Drew right? Let me talk poo poo about him. Has is been 15 minutes since I told everyone I was on TV? Oh yeah, my kid's a human being. Since I once worked construction I feel I have open license to be a racist douchebag. I was on Dancing with the Stars and they just didn't understand my genius! Oh, famous guest, that's an interesting story/topic/idea, let me put the brakes on the whole show to tell you I know how to hang drywall or frame a door or fix a carburetor like I'm the Patron Saint of Screwdrivers."

This should go in the OP for the Carolla podcast information blurb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geekslinger
Jan 30, 2005

Godspell posted:

I'm having the same problem but what are you replacing it with?

There is more than enough content in the OP to fill any gap that Carolla might have filled. Personally I listen to The Nerdist, Fitzdog Radio, Doug Loves Movies, CDR, Uhh Yeah Dude, and WTF (depends on the guest).

I unsubscribed from Carolla after a couple of weeks of the new format. Now I just check who the guest is, and if it is someone I'm interested in I just just fast forward to the interview. Which isn't often these days.

Geekslinger
Jan 30, 2005

The_Rob posted:

I don't know how anyone can't giggle at aukerman's dumb poo poo. He is so silly, and makes me laugh.

He had some great gems on this weeks DLM.

Geekslinger
Jan 30, 2005

He doesn't do the Len Malton game often at his live shows. Usually only when there is something going on in the city when a bunch of other comedians are available and he can throw a podcast out of it.

The last week or so there has been a running joke across Bumbershoot podcasts with Doug being on almost every one mainly just to plug his new CD. He even steps out briefly in this weeks Nerdist to run next door and do another plug, but then is back by the end.

He was in Boise a couple weeks back did his set then went and hung out in a restaurant up the street for a couple hours.

Geekslinger
Jan 30, 2005

Greg Fitzsimmons has Zach Galifianakis and Natalie Maines on this week for a two part podcast. Zach is in top form throughout and had me laughing my rear end off on my commute home today.

Geekslinger
Jan 30, 2005

Lithgow's sketch he gave out as a prize.

Geekslinger
Jan 30, 2005

Just noticed that The Nerdist is the guest on the current Greg Fitzsimmons podcast.

Geekslinger
Jan 30, 2005

CharlesWillisMaddox posted:

The new Nerdist is out, with guest Brian Posehn! About time they got him or her on the show, he or she is the perfect guest.

It has a bunch or really laugh out loud moments to. The blurb about all of them playing D&D together and Patton's drunk dwarf songs had me giggling.

Geekslinger
Jan 30, 2005

Chexxum posted:

I didn't know who Chris Anderson was before listening to the latest Nerdist, but now I know he's an unfunny douche that's never heard of Bill Hicks and likes making GBS threads on Spinal Tap and other classic comedies :argh:.

Yeah that was probably the first meh episode of the Nerdist that has been done so far. He probably should have let that one stay lost.

Geekslinger
Jan 30, 2005

I don't know if anyone else caught The Benson Interruption premiere last Friday night, but man was it not very good. It was funny in some parts, but the cutting and editing was just terrible. It just made me appreciate DLM as a much better format for Doug Benson and friends.

Geekslinger
Jan 30, 2005

I could see an hour for two guests for sure.

With the way it was currently cut you'd have the audience laughing to what was just said then immediately cut-off to rolling into the next bit. It made all kinds of awkward silence points that seemed like the comedians weren't that funny.

It came off really bad with Chris Hardwick when Doug commented on a bit he just said, the audience starts to laugh and then immediately cut silence leading to them trading tweets.

Oh well I was just hoping for a little more DLM spillover since that recent episode was so great.

Geekslinger
Jan 30, 2005

CharlesWillisMaddox posted:

The new Nerdist podcast is out with Kevin Pollak, and from the description Matt and Jonah aren't in it. I don't mind them, but the ones with just Chris/Guest are the best. I also can't tell the difference between Chris and Matt most of the time.

Hardwick tends to rear end kiss and sperg about his guests a lot when he is flying solo for the podcast. Jonah is actually legitimately funny and contributes a lot to the show. The interactions between him and Chris bring a lot of the funnier parts to the podcast.

Matt is just their technical guy that Chris met at the Apple store who shares a similar interest in the same things Chris does. He has it pretty easy being able to schmooze with the guests while his only claim to fame is being a Genius Bar tech that can fix their Apple stuff. His quips he pipes in with are not really funny or entertaining and I'd wish they'd keep him the in background to handle the audio/tech side of things. Heck even in this latest episode they talk about how Chris gave Matt the podcast audio equipment and he left it in his car overnight where it was stolen.

Geekslinger
Jan 30, 2005

Bunk Rogers posted:

I used to really like Pollack but he came off as a bit of a unfunny douche. Hardwick's distaste for charging people to listen to podcasts kept me listening though. God I hope Pollack's podcasts bombs and his crappy sounding "This week in..." company fails horribly.

Pollack is funny, but this podcast felt more like a straight interview.

As for charging Pardo and Gervais timed is just right when they started it. At this stage in podcasting I think it is going to be pretty hard to recreate what they did fanbase or not.

Geekslinger
Jan 30, 2005

Cast Iron Brick posted:

This is my issue with Nerdist. When they're being funny, it's a great show. But as soon as Hardwick says "writing process" I shut it off.

I get the feeling Hardwick doesn't have a ton of material so he tries to gauge what other comedians do to put their stuff together. I've heard him use the cum on a mustache and Vegas stripper pole bits multiple times. He even mentioned it in one of the live episodes that he wasn't going to tape his stand-up for the podcast because he was out of material.

Geekslinger
Jan 30, 2005

Norm MacDonald is on Fitzdog radio today.

Geekslinger
Jan 30, 2005

benito posted:

Anyone listen to Greg Fitzsimmons? I decided to go through a few episodes starting with the Norm MacDonald one. Not only could I barely hear Norm, but he sounded like he was barely conscious. Big disappointment there. The Brian Regan one is great, though.

I'm giving it a shot because of Fitzsimmons' appearances on other podcasts. Is it worth going through the back catalog of episodes?

This is actually one of my favorite podcasts to listen to when he has a guest. Though I do find his solo episodes to be pretty boring as Greg tends to just talk about whatever (politics, religion) and I can't stand that. The recent two part Zach Galifianakis Natalie Maines episode was another really funny one.

Geekslinger
Jan 30, 2005

I unsubscribed from him awhile back but I still check to see who his recent guests are about once a week. Since Teresa left he doesn't seem to have Bryan on as much anymore. There have been a lot more 1 on 1 conversations much like when the podcast first launched which are a lot more tolerable.

As for politics he has mentioned Libertarian a couple of times. Even Dr. Drew mentioned how he has been swinging more Libertarian in the most recent interview (in between Adam ranting).

Geekslinger
Jan 30, 2005

A PRIZED MULE! posted:

Jesus Christ! I kind of tip-toed around it earlier, but if it's that big of a deal for you then maybe they're precluding you on purpose. Valiantly stop listening. I hope this post is a joke, holy poo poo!

No offense to you but I quit listening for the same reason. I found everything else about the podcast to be quite funny but the belching is pretty much the lowest form of humor you can get next to farting.

Geekslinger
Jan 30, 2005

I don't know why but this recent DLM really had me laughing with the whole screaming monkey toy that Doug threw into the audience. Plus Edgar Wright is quickly becoming one of my new favorite DLM guests.

Geekslinger
Jan 30, 2005

Sock The Great posted:

Doug Benson is awesome, but The Benson Interruption is unwatchable.

I gave up on the 2nd episode it is just too much of an edited mess.

Geekslinger
Jan 30, 2005

Carolla's new news girl looks an awful lot like his old news girl...

Click here for the full 800x450 image.

I still pick and choose my episodes depending on the guest but I've had quite a few laugh out loud moments over the last few episodes.

Geekslinger
Jan 30, 2005

Doug Benson had some guests on this week from the I Am Comic documentary, and I've heard it mentioned on a couple other podcasts. I watched it off Netflix streaming last night, and I found it to be pretty drat funny. I would have to agree with Doug that Tommy Davidson is pretty loving weird, otherwise it was a pretty good glimpse behind the scenes of stand-up and had a pretty big cast of everyone we love. It even has a few obscure people we haven't seen in a long time.

Geekslinger
Jan 30, 2005

Penis envy posted:

I highly recommend everyone watch I Am Comic which is streaming on netflix. I kept looking for the scene with Tommy Davidson that Doug mentioned but I didn't see it.

Also hope misheard song lyrics becomes a recurring feature on CDR.

Tommy Davidson had a couple of interview segments that were a couple of minutes long each, so I'm not sure how you missed it. He was the gray haired black guy talking about comedy being like Bruce Lee and Zen, but not making much sense with anything he said.

Like I posted before I Am Comic was great and worth a watch if not for some of the fun behind the scenes stuff.

Geekslinger
Jan 30, 2005

Last time Doug Benson was in Boise one of the local indie newspapers did a short interview with him. I got a kick out of this part, especially the Carolla bit.

quote:

So, I asked Benson to play a little game with me. I named a dozen comedians and asked him to describe them in a couple of words. Here's what he said:

1. Sarah Silverman: "Wow, this is tough. The thing about a girl, a female comic—I shouldn't say girl, but I'll bet she still likes being called a girl. Let's do that: My favorite girl."
2. Larry David: "Same as on TV."
3. Jerry Seinfeld: "Businessman. I bet he'd hate that, but he doesn't even know who I am."
4. Greg Fitzsimmons: "[Laughs.] Brutally honest."
5. Adam Carolla: "Won't shut up. People give me such a hard time when I do his podcast. They say, 'You didn't talk enough." When am I supposed to talk? It's his show and he won't shut up." (It's true. Once, on his podcast, he ranted for 20 minutes about fruit-flavored iced tea.)
6. Brian Posehn: "Giant friend. He is a giant."
7. Dane Cook: "Not so bad. [Laughs his rear end off.]"
8. Joe Rogan: "Intense stoner. He likes fighting and weed. Those are his passions."
9. Patton Oswalt: "Little friend. Did I say giant friend about Brian? Little friend."
10. Paul F. Tompkins: "Fancy."
11. Zach Galifianakis: "Weird." (This, by the way, was the quickest answer Benson gave.)
12. Jim Gaffigan: "Bacon." (This was the second fastest.)

I still pick and choose my episodes based on the guest, but Carolla has gotten much better as of late. Hopefully we might see some even better changes with the new Sirius format in the next couple of weeks.

Geekslinger
Jan 30, 2005

Vertigus posted:

Fitzdog Radio is by far my favorite. The way Fitzsimmons directs the flow of a conversation is fascinating, and he's really funny.

He reminds me of Stern in how he can get people to open up and tell some of their dirty secrets to. One of the recent ones he had on a comeidan and had her talking about the one and only time she and her husband had tried anal while on vacation. The story was funny but I noticed how he was able to coax it out of her with very little effort after she let it slip.

Geekslinger
Jan 30, 2005

NecronSchmecron posted:

Jimmy Pardo, Kevin Smith, and Rob Hubell on DLM! :psyboom:

I listened to the first half on my commute in this morning and so far it has been a great show. Pardo gets some good jabs in at Smith over his Southwest issues right from the start.

Geekslinger
Jan 30, 2005

Rolling Stone put together a top ten comedy podcasts of the moment. Looks like most of our favorites made the list.

http://www.rollingstone.com/culture/news/the-10-best-comedy-podcasts-of-the-moment-20110406

Geekslinger
Jan 30, 2005

Speaking of SNL and The Lonely Island, Andy Samberg is on this weeks Nerdist.

Geekslinger
Jan 30, 2005

Bobcat told this hilarious story on a recent Carolla Live podcast about being on a plane with a bunch of Special Olympians that had one of the engines go out mid flight. It must have been a bad crowd since a bunch of them were booing at both the story and Carolla's follow up joke about wanting an X-games for the Special Olympics.

I thought it was really god damned funny. :colbert:

Geekslinger
Jan 30, 2005

Mierenneuker posted:

Michael Rooker on the latest episode of Doug Loves Movies :allears:
(and Ellen Page is her adorably awkward self)

Rooker unintentionally stole the show on this one. I must have looked like a raving idiot laughing as hard as I was in my car on my way home from work.

Geekslinger
Jan 30, 2005

The Len Maltin game sounds good in concept, but is actually pretty lovely in execution. What makes it fun is the interactions with the guests. Like Michael Rooker not even being able to remember any movie that he was in during the 80s. Bald Bryan is a prime example of someone who would mop the floor if given the chance, but gets screwed out by the other players trying to one up his over zealous bids.

I like Carolla but hate him on DLM because of his constant talking. Jerry O'connell is a good guest but hardly was able to get a word in because of Carolla. The same stuff happened with the other guests in the episodes with Jeff Garlin and Rainn Wilson.

I am glad that he is going to do the next tournament of champions as a bracket system. He had so many guests in the last one that it was hard to track who was talking, not enough mics, and fan favorites getting the boot too quick.

I wonder why Pang wasn't going to show anymore. He and Roosie were mentioned almost every week there for awhile.

Geekslinger
Jan 30, 2005

cioxx posted:

The latest Nerdist podcast is glorious.

Sasquatching.

It really was one of the funnier ones they have done in a while. The Sasquatching bit was 10x funnier than the 20 minute Vader pussy riff in the Kevin Smith episode.

Kirkman was doing great at putting Hardwick in his place every time he tried to reference himself.

"Hey I'm from Kentucky to."
"I don't care."

That and his jab at Johnah and Matt when he asked if he should know who they were.

Geekslinger
Jan 30, 2005

I get that he was joking and it was just them loving around, but what I should have said was that Kirkman was doing great riffing on Hardwick in not letting him talk about himself like he usually does.

Hardwick gets a ton of flack in the quemments section about constantly talking over guests to reference himself.

Geekslinger
Jan 30, 2005

More and more comedians are realizing it is a perfect platform for them to explore their talent as well as selling more merch and shows.

Chris Hardwick mentioned that since he started doing the Podcast he's had more ticket sales over all at his standup gigs than he ever did going on radio or other shows to plug his stuff.

Geekslinger
Jan 30, 2005

After hearing who the beeped shithead was in last weeks DLM I have to agree that it was pretty tasteless and I'm glad Doug censored did it.

Geekslinger
Jan 30, 2005

I actually enjoy the Nerdist most out of all the podcasts I listen to, but his use of literally, fantastic, and phenomenal does get tiring.

Adam Carolla used to make fun of both morning zoo radio and the use of literally in conversations when he was on Loveline. These days his podcast is a victim of both.

Geekslinger
Jan 30, 2005

His stand up isn't that great either. I saw him here in Boise last year after having been a fan of DLM for a while and he just wasn't very good.

The guests interaction for the Maltin game is ten times better than the actual game itself, but he has really fallen back to using it as the main crutch for his show. He mentioned it in his act here, but didn't end up playing it because the crowd was pretty small.

Geekslinger
Jan 30, 2005

Elec posted:

I'm really glad you brought this up, because I wanted to bitch about it when I first heard it but didn't because it wasn't explicitly a "comedy" podcast and wasn't sure if it was OK.

I listen to the main Nerdist podcast whenever there's a guest I like, but an early episode (#3, I wanna say) of Indoor Kids caught my eye, because they were going to be talking about fighting games and EVO, and I like both of those things. I loving hated the poo poo out of it. I sort of like the main guy, with the accent, and I think he's actually really quick-witted, but like you pointed out, I distinctly remember starting to count her "LIKE A BOSS!"'s. I think she got up to 4 before the guest finally tried to rib her about it? She talked about Reddit and memes and cosplaying a lot and seemed really flabbergasted that the other guys didn't care. She talked about how awesome Call of Duty and Starcraft tourneys were, and the guys were making fun of her and she got butthurt, then turned around and tried to make fun of fighting game tournaments but wasn't very good at it. I am the definition of casual gamer and I know jack about gaming as an industry, but they often don't seem to really know what they're talking about. If they've gotten rid of the girl that I hated, I can imagine trying to listen more, because I happened to like the main guy and the guest they had for that episode. I've listened/tried a lot of podcasts I didn't like or was bored with, but I've never actually been angry at one like I was with that episode. This was longer than it should have been.

The G4 meme chick is gone now and Kumail's wife took over as the 2nd host. The content quality is much better and is geared more towards casual gamers since they are comics who love games and not professional game journalists. They just talk about game stuff and is more relatable than any of the professional gaming podcasts.

This weeks episode with Aisha Tyler had me cracking up multiple times at the gym last night. Her story about trying to watch Episode III in the theater and catching the 13 year old Asian kid in the seat next to her beating off was priceless.

Geekslinger
Jan 30, 2005

wafflesnsegways posted:

The latest episode of The Indoor Kids is hilarious. There's like 30 minutes of Starcraft talk, which I didn't understand. Then around the 40 minute mark, a really awkward husband-wife conversation (or non-conversation) comes out of nowhere, and it's amazing.

I listened to this last night and that part was really really funny. Kumail couldn't even back pedal on that one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geekslinger
Jan 30, 2005

Yes the Starcraft talk was pretty lame and the episode was fairly weak (the sudden BJ part was the one shining moment), but don't let that detour you from listening to the all of the other episodes. Once the meme girl leaves a few episodes in and Kumail's wife comes on as the co-host they have all been pretty good.

• Locked thread