Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A PRIZED MULE!
Aug 11, 2005

where's the bourbon?
^^^^^That's awesome!!

Borrego posted:

Latest episode of the Joe Rogan experience made me realize how much I missed Tom Green. I remember totally digging on his show way back when on Mtv. I know he has an internet show that he's been doing but I can't wait for him to start podcasting.

Agreed. That was a really cool interview (especially Brian riding Tom's dick). It's great to hear him speak seriously about things, but whenever I hear his voice I just start cracking up. It's almost like I could listen to a Tom Green 911 call after a car accident and I'd be laughing my rear end off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A PRIZED MULE!
Aug 11, 2005

where's the bourbon?
While The Field Negro Guide to Arts and Culture with Vernon Reid and W. Kamau Bell is only on it's third ep and comes out rather sporadically, it's a pretty good show. I'd never think that I'd be listening to a talk show by the guy from Living Colour and really digging it.

See You Next Tuesday keeps getting better and better. Troy's really honing his craft. Walking the Room is another newer show that is starting to hit it's stride.

The Lavender Hour with Duncan Trussell (The guy telling the story about Tesla and Edison on "Drunk History") is really good if you're into that whole weird metaphysical/conspiracy/intellectual minutae type deal that Joe Rogan delves into a lot. Duncan and his girl comedian Natasha Leggero are pretty funny.

If you haven't seen it yet, go watch: Drunk History is AMAZING!

A PRIZED MULE!
Aug 11, 2005

where's the bourbon?

CharlesWillisMaddox posted:

Is Doug Loves Movies always like this? Great guests with Doug dragging it down with his whole "Ooops, I forgot I am a silly stoner durpa durpa" act.

Actually I would say that he gets really pissed when the guests sort of derail the show. His defense is to kind of flip out, which usually makes whoever is doing it continue to do it as a response to his flipping out. Non-productive.

Don't get me wrong. I love DLM and Doug, and if anything I hate that he's known as a "weed comedian". I think he's pretty quick and his best material has nothing to do with weed.

A PRIZED MULE!
Aug 11, 2005

where's the bourbon?

COMPUTER SECRETS posted:

I think that was more Paul F. Tompkins and Pardo are amazing together. Seriously, those two need some kind of show together.

No doubt! It's weird though, and I think I said it in this thread, if Pardo's doing the podcast thing and just talking he's GREAT! But, I just don't like his stand up much. Tompkins is a champ.

A PRIZED MULE!
Aug 11, 2005

where's the bourbon?
A new one I've been checking out is The Podcast Eating Contest. They don't have a set format yet, and it's just three dudes talking, but they're pretty funny. If they hit their stride they could be amazing.

It sounds silly, but I was laughing so hard at their show today on the bus that I had to go into a laugh seizure rather than laugh so loud as to disturb people. They're kind of an overly silly and absurd UYD.

A PRIZED MULE!
Aug 11, 2005

where's the bourbon?

Rudy Riot posted:

Doug Loves Movies - 10/12/10
This was a pretty visual episode.

Awesome! As I've said before, if I went to LA I'd try to be at the UCB every night.

A PRIZED MULE!
Aug 11, 2005

where's the bourbon?

The Senate posted:

He was also on the Nerdist which was a bit more entertaining.

For sure. If you can, try to track down Birbiglia on This American Life. His story on sleepwalking is insane. In fact, I think the current TAL episode "Fear of Sleep" features that one if I'm not mistaken.

e: found it - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MU2KRBh1MOA

A PRIZED MULE! fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Oct 14, 2010

A PRIZED MULE!
Aug 11, 2005

where's the bourbon?

Wyld Cannon posted:

lame stoner philosophy.

Unfortunately that's what you're gonna get with Rogan. Sometimes it's lame and boring and sometimes it's great. I still listen because some good stuff happens on that show. It's kind of sad that the more I think of it, Brian Redban can be pretty funny, but I don't think he could carry a show himself. Joey Diaz is HILARIOUS though.

A PRIZED MULE!
Aug 11, 2005

where's the bourbon?

Strange Matter posted:

He has an amazing stand-up special which is him drunkedly bombing intercut with a interview with his gay twin brother (also played by Galifianakis) about their estranged relatioship.

It's called "Live at the Purple Onion", and it's a masterpiece. (available streaming on Netflix)

A PRIZED MULE!
Aug 11, 2005

where's the bourbon?
I think I've mentioned before, but these guys on The Podcast Eating Contest are funny as hell. To bring up a cliche, I was laughing so hard on the bus that people were looking at me. They only have 5 or 6 episodes, so you can check them out easily. They're like if UYD was sillier and they were quick to play off of each other more. Groundfloor.

A PRIZED MULE!
Aug 11, 2005

where's the bourbon?

WoG posted:

check out the EP 'Patton vs. Alcohol vs. Zach vs. Patton'

Holy Mary Mother of God, this sounds SO amazing!

A PRIZED MULE!
Aug 11, 2005

where's the bourbon?

The Modern Leper posted:

It's funny, but it feels like they must take two hours to make an episode: You can really hear the breaks in the recording--sometimes mid-sentence.

That's fine by me. I have no problem with people putting in some effort.

A PRIZED MULE!
Aug 11, 2005

where's the bourbon?

NecronSchmecron posted:

I've downloaded The Podcast Eating Contest but I haven't heard it yet. I got it based solely on the awesome name. :hellyeah:

If nothing else, the "Name a song and I'll sing it in the style of Michael MacDonald" segment will floor you.

e: vvvv Um... yeah vvvvv

A PRIZED MULE! fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Oct 18, 2010

A PRIZED MULE!
Aug 11, 2005

where's the bourbon?

Strange Matter posted:

Were people saying that Mike Birbiglia was boring on Nerdist? Because I'm really enjoying this show. Even though he does talk like he just downed a bottle of Quaaludes.

I like Birbiglia a lot, but I will say it was very slow. It doesn't help that Hardwick always seems really shower adoration on most of his guests, which isn't a bad thing in and of itself, but it tends to put the guests into "Oh, thank you so much" mode which stifles the conversation sometimes.

Cast Iron Brick posted:

The entire episode they just grabbed bits from their show. It was embarrassing.

I know what you mean, but generating new material at such a fast rate is really hard for most people. For example, how many top-tier comedians working today have you heard go on and on about how amazing they think it is that Louis C.K. will abandon his old material and come out with a new hour EVERY YEAR? Some people are really quick in a conversation, (oddly enough I've been taken aback at how sharp and funny non-comedian Jon Hamm is) but if you're working cold then most people will go with what they know (or are touring on). Plus everybody has their standby bits that they can bust out anytime (or what Pardo calls "The Skeleton").

E: I guess a lot of it is a product of our technology. Now in a given week you could hear a comedian on five different podcasts, late night TV, etc. whereas back in the day you might see a comic a few times a year and you might not know they're doing the same stuff.

A PRIZED MULE! fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Oct 20, 2010

A PRIZED MULE!
Aug 11, 2005

where's the bourbon?

Optikalusion posted:

Why the gently caress is Red Bar Radio not in the OP?
redbarradio.com
Funniest podcast and one of the best produced out there. Three shows a week, 2-3 hours a show. And it's been running for SEVEN years.

I'd heard of that and downloaded a few of them, but I don't know, I just didn't like it. No hater, but it's just not my thing. I found it pretty Morning Zooey. Do they (or did they) do terrestrial radio?

A PRIZED MULE!
Aug 11, 2005

where's the bourbon?

Optikalusion posted:

Actually that describes most of Red Bar: Hilariously Psychotic.

I guess maybe for me that was the thing that turned me off: the sort of "Hey! We're SOOOOO CRAZY aren't we!?" vibe.

e: Isn't AM terrestrial?

A PRIZED MULE!
Aug 11, 2005

where's the bourbon?

Wyld Cannon posted:

ComedyDeathRayRadio-Cyber Thug, with Miles Archer, Bobby Bottleservice, and Jerry O'Connell - One of the Cyber Thug takeover shows without Aukerman

ComedyDeathRayRadio-Steve Agee, Natasha Leggero, and Matt Besser - Besser's Bjork

ComedyDeathRayRadio-Garfunkel & Oates, Seth Morris, & Brendon Walsh - (first appearance of Bob Duka)

ComedyDeathRayRadio-Andy Dick, Bob Odenkirk, & Chelsea Peretti - Bob is hilarious doing Would You Rather

CDR_62_MasterMP3 Andy Richter, Matt Besser, Don't Stop Or We'll Die, PFT - This is probably my favorite episode

My name is A PRIZED MULE!, and I approve of this message. (also "Miles Archer" is a really loving cool name)

E: plus whomever did this is a badass:

A PRIZED MULE! fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Oct 22, 2010

A PRIZED MULE!
Aug 11, 2005

where's the bourbon?
I don't know if this has been posted, but here's Bob Ducca's ailments:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHIegpSmIyw

A PRIZED MULE!
Aug 11, 2005

where's the bourbon?

DangerDummy! posted:

There's not one Bob Duka appearance that sucks, and his list of ailments is especially funny, but that goofball list of names he gave in is one of my favorites.

King Lou posted:

That is a great bit although it really highlights what I hate about Tig Nataro's wrench throwing comedy stopping (which I already harped on.)

No doubt. When he was reading the names (which were hilarious) she chimes in with "Wow. You could have a pretty good act making up silly names and reading them!" which was a total bit-killer. I get she's trying to be snarky, but don't poo poo on somebody's bit as they're doing it right in front of you. It's like if Chupacabra was on and she went "Hey Nick, why are you talking with that ridiculous Mexican accent?".

A PRIZED MULE!
Aug 11, 2005

where's the bourbon?

Wise Old Shitashi posted:

That was Natasha Leggero during the Therapist list, not Tig. Tig did the "Hot Tub Foot" bit, and their back and forth on that is one of my favourite parts of that bit.

Yikes! My bad. I listen to The Lavender Hour too so I should've known better.

A PRIZED MULE!
Aug 11, 2005

where's the bourbon?

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

Jimmy Dore's wife is intensely unfunny on the new DLM.

Oh you mean Stef-AH-NAYYYY!? Hahah! I'll definitely listen to that tomorrow!

A PRIZED MULE!
Aug 11, 2005

where's the bourbon?

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

I really wouldn't have minded too much if it was just Jimmy and Doug discussing it, but she came off as desperate to seem as smart as Jimmy, and came off as just smug and lame.

As she is a teacher in California it comes up a lot on "Comedy and Everything Else". I am totally behind the plight of underpaid teachers and against budget cuts on public schools. I'd consider myself a leftist, but they used to be insanely liberal pre-election. Jimmy tends to contradict himself a lot. I wish he'd stick to just being funny.

In the past couple of months they might as well have renamed the show "Let's Rant about Kyle Cease and Comedy Boot Camp", and I tend to think that the boot camp is a total scheme and Kyle Cease is a New Age moron.

A PRIZED MULE!
Aug 11, 2005

where's the bourbon?

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

Oh, I absolutely agree with a lot of what they are saying, but it doesn't make it entertaining to listen to.

Yeah, they tend to be the "Well I guess I don't have anything else to listen to." podcast

A PRIZED MULE!
Aug 11, 2005

where's the bourbon?

vonnegutt posted:

His John C. Reilly blew my mind. I forgot for a chunk that it was an impersonation.

Man, the first time I heard it I thought really was Reilly! My reasoning was he does Tim & Eric, so why not this? His Ice-T is great too. I'm not really a fan of "Sir Dame Andrew Lloyd Webber" though. We need some more Cyber Thug takeovers!

En Fuego posted:

I am The Reverend En Fuego from the BJ Shea Morning Experience on KISW in Seattle (http://www.kisw.com). I also do a podcast called Undead Radio

Ballard represent! I don't listen to the radio but I'll check out your show.

j8910 posted:

If anyone downloads the newest episodes of "Comedy and Everything Else" and dismisses it: Know that there's some gems in the backlogs. The episodes with Paul F. Tompkins and Doug Benson are great, along with some others

For sure! Dore and "Stefanay" really stunk up DLM this week though. Worst. Maltin. EVER. Dore and Glass on DLM was a riot though. FISHERMAN'S WHARF!!!! Does anybody really know why Todd left?

I'll give an appeal once again to The 40 Year-Old Boy. Seriously, if you're an NNF fan that hasn't heard Season One then give that a shot and even if you like Mike a little bit give it a listen. Some shows fall flat, but the guy has led a crazy life and has some amazing stories. And for all of his rambling, when he tells a good story he tells a really good story. I'd love to describe some but I'd just ruin it for when you actually heard it. Give "Year One" a try and go from there. It's important to know how the guy is before you jump in headlong.

A PRIZED MULE! fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Oct 26, 2010

A PRIZED MULE!
Aug 11, 2005

where's the bourbon?

Majorian posted:

(also, it's a funny impression because it's more of a take-off on American perceptions of the British than an actual impression of ALW himself)

Wait! You mean to tell me that this is some sort of comedic character, performed by a professional comedian, and not actually the most famous musical composer in modern history!? Please tell me more about these so-called "take-offs".

Thanks for insulting my intelligence. All I said was that I wasn't a fan of it.

By the way, your avatar perfectly suits your smug post. I hope it's intentional.

A PRIZED MULE!
Aug 11, 2005

where's the bourbon?

Majorian posted:

No, retard, I'm saying it's meant to be more of an absurdist joke than an actual impression of the man himself. Calm down.

Yeah, as I was saying: I GET IT. What you don't seem to get is that it's a bit condescending to explain that something is an absurd joke on a show that features absurd jokes almost exclusively. And via that you backhandedly insult me by acting as if I don't know Andrew Lloyd Webber.

Mustard or Pants?

Just because I don't 100% care for it doesn't mean I don't know what it is.

A PRIZED MULE!
Aug 11, 2005

where's the bourbon?

Sock The Great posted:

This week's UYD was a real gem.

I'll say! I've been sort of bumming out at the quality of UYD in recent days. And this is coming from someone who got their Christmas Stocking. So fresh! Hopefully a sign of an upturn in the show.

Marjoran posted:

...fair point.

Okay, A PRIZED MULE!, no one was initially insulting your intelligence.

No hard feelings. I accept your... sort of backhanded insult apology. :)

CharlesWillisMaddox posted:

Joe Rogan Show

I'm so down with what you're saying. One of my biggest beefs with that show is that no matter who's on, Joe says the same poo poo OVER AND OVER. Other than that it's pretty fun, especially with Joey Coco Diaz of course. And Brian could carry his own show as weird as he is.

A PRIZED MULE!
Aug 11, 2005

where's the bourbon?

Borrego posted:

Also maybe it's because I'm a "hater". But holy gently caress Jimmy Dore and his wife made me not even finish this weeks DLM.

No, it was pretty rough. Even Doug seemed put off.

A PRIZED MULE!
Aug 11, 2005

where's the bourbon?

Civil posted:

This has been a solid addition to my stable of podcasts. Even if it's just a few guys loving around, they make a pretty entertaining show.

Yeah, hopefully they won't just quit for a month or so again.

A PRIZED MULE!
Aug 11, 2005

where's the bourbon?
Hahaha! Hey Lou, where do you work where you can get away with reading grouphug.us with co-workers around? "And this post reads: I just love fisting my own asshol... oh hey, what's up man?"

A PRIZED MULE!
Aug 11, 2005

where's the bourbon?

JiveHonky posted:

Jesse Thorn is also the undisputed multiple time Galactic Champion of kissing rear end. Nobody has ever made love to a comedian's soft butt cheeks with his mouthparts like Thorn does and nobody ever will. Truly a pioneer.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: Jesse Thorn is a gigantic douchebag.

A PRIZED MULE!
Aug 11, 2005

where's the bourbon?

NecronSchmecron posted:

The only reason I haven't checked it out is because I'm not a huge fan of Jesse Thorn (except when he's on NNF, weird) and someone here described it being similar to UYD. I really am not into UYD.

It's an overt insult to mention Jesse Thorn and UYD in the same sentence. They are in no way alike, even in the slightest. UYD 4 LIFE!

A PRIZED MULE!
Aug 11, 2005

where's the bourbon?

King Lou posted:

Dude. Throw out some of your PM's I can't respond to your phone message request.

Done and done. Sorry.

A PRIZED MULE!
Aug 11, 2005

where's the bourbon?
Jesus, what a douchebag.

E: Maybe Kyle Cease can help him out LOL.

A PRIZED MULE!
Aug 11, 2005

where's the bourbon?

Sexy Randal posted:

So does the one guy from UYD stand the whole time they're recording? It looks that way from the videos on youtube. Something about that weirds me out...

However this clip has convinced me to give this show a listen.

If you're looking for drug stories they're only slightly about that. However, LISTEN TO THIS SHOW START AT THE BEGINNING I CAN'T STRESS ENOUGH THAT THIS IS THE BEST PODCAST EVER.

A PRIZED MULE!
Aug 11, 2005

where's the bourbon?

Wise Old Shitashi posted:

Hey, what do ya know? It's a POD F TOMPKAST EXTRASODE.

There was a guy recently on Rogan's podcast that did a pretty good Ice T. It was funny because he actually said "Nobody impersonates Ice T". Also, he did a Morgan Freeman that blew my mind. No word on whether or not he does John C. Reilly.

A PRIZED MULE!
Aug 11, 2005

where's the bourbon?
Ahahahaha holy poo poo! For those of you listening to The Podcast Eating Contest: I'm Steve.

A PRIZED MULE!
Aug 11, 2005

where's the bourbon?
1. No, that was some other iTunes review. As they said, I am down with the bizurp.

2. Not yet, but my girlfriend has demanded that I call her "Flindy" from now on.

A PRIZED MULE! fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Nov 10, 2010

A PRIZED MULE!
Aug 11, 2005

where's the bourbon?

nemoulette posted:

The latest episode of the Joe Rogan podcast made my realize one thing: While Joey Diaz is very, very funny, Joe Rogan impersonating Joey Diaz is even funnier.

HAY COCKSUCKAH! I TOTALLY AGREE YOU SONOFABITCH! WHERE'S THE FUCKIN' WEED HERE YOU MUTHAFUCKAHS!?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A PRIZED MULE!
Aug 11, 2005

where's the bourbon?

Cromulent posted:

I think it's him just trying way too hard to be edgy. It comes off bad because he has no sense of delivery or timing.

Yeah, he comes off as a smart-rear end kid, which can be funny. Through that he also manages to break up the seriousness when Joe and the guest get a little too into their stoned talk about the universe. They always mention how he does standup, I'd be interested in hearing his act.

Cromulent posted:

Also, from yesterday's episode (with Duncan Trussell as guest, who's one of my favorites)

Duncan Trussell a very weird, but funny guy. He's got his own show called The Lavender Hour with his girlfriend, comedian Natasha Leggero that's pretty good. Also, he did the BEST drunk history ever! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AwI1Xpwhyi8

• Locked thread