Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

NecronSchmecron posted:

Why did he leave? It was never clear, but hints lead to something between him and Jimmy Dore.

I remember Jimmy mentioned during a subscription drive that if they met some target, he'd finally spill the beans about what happened that made Todd leave the show.

Though I don't recall if that goal was ever met, or if they forgot about it.

As long as I can hear Todd do more flawless Phil Donohue impressions, so much the better!

The Sklarbro Country podcast is probably my favorite at the moment, it's hilarious and even when I don't follow the sport they're talking about, they still make it engaging.

Plus, a couple of Dueling Carsons now and then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

caveman thug poo poo posted:

This just reminded me that PFT does a loving spot-on John C. Reilly, which when you think about doing is kinda easy but still, it's awesome and I love what he did with the Andrew Lloyd Weber/John C. Reilly conversation on the new podcast.

There's a Comedy Death Ray with... John Hamm, I think it is, where he and John C. Reilly have an acting competition.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

NecronSchmecron posted:

It's been a joy seeing all these Jimmy Pardo comments. :v:

He's here and we're lucky to have him.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Sexy Randal posted:

Oh man that interview is going to be awesome.

Posting for those who haven't seen this before: Gallagher is in fact totally batshit crazy.

I was at the Marc Maron show in Portland this evening and he talked a bit about the interview. I am so looking forward to the episode now, it sounds like a doozy.

(Though I have to ask why the hell Gallagher is in Stumptown, wtf. We're not his kind of people.)

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Peter North posted:

It's really surprising that Gallagher walked off WTFpod, batshit insane or not. The last time he went on Opie & Anthony, he was in a really ugly race argument with Patrice O'Neal and was utterly humiliated, considering Patrice's incredible talent at roasting people. It was really bad. See: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icevac7jdig

So for him to take that and walk off WTFpod, maybe Marc Maron being so gosh darn liberal is what set him off in that crazy loving head of his.

I was at Maron's show on Thursday, and he said that the argument was over what was and what was not funny, not politics at all.

Because we all know that Gallagher is the Arbiter of Comedy.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

The_Rob posted:

I am listening to the Gallagher interview on WTF, and he comes off as a guy who would make you really uncomfortable right away. Like there is just something about him.

I found that interview really hard to listen to, even though I had been looking forward to it. I think there's something about the combination of Gallagher being crazy and Marc having to become more aggressive just to get a word in edgewise that set me on edge.

The sense of entitlement was also really hard to listen to. "Where's my talk show? Dave and Jay had an inside track! Why can't I have a talk show?"

Gallagher's a bit like Piers Anthony--pretty awesome when you were 10, just don't revisit ever again. All I know is going forward, everything is going to get judged on whether it is or is not state-fair-funny.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Yeah, the majority of the Foley interview is really funny, talking about which Kid in the Hall was the best-looking woman, that sort of thing.

It does sound like he's basically hosed if he ever wants to go back to Canada, though.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Forum Hussy posted:

What a joy, huh?

That is high and tight, wearing a hard shoe right there.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Groucho Marxist posted:

If you don't subscribe, you should listen to the new Sklarboro Country. Patton Oswalt reads passages from Monday Night Jihad and it's incredible.

I keep checking Amazon's listing of Zombie Spaceship Wasteland to see if they start offering it as a bundle with Elam's masterwork. (Though Elam still needs to come on the Country and explain the soymilk.)

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Catching up on the last week of Eardrops...

I just love the mental image of Lil' Gary wandering SXSW with a Kraft single on a lanyard, trying to get into shows.

"People already think he's food, this is not good."

Speaking of, if they can sell "Steak Shake" on the Earwolf store, "I Am Not Food" is long overdue.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

t3ch3 posted:

The Kathleen Madigan episode has been my favorite since Dave Foley. I didn't expect to like it as much as I did because I didn't really like her special, but her road stories with Lewis Black are hilarious and the interview very quickly turns into just a fun conversation between her and Marc.

Also, Marc is totally right and I would watch the hell out of a TV show of her and Lewis touring the country and encouraging people to drinking and gamble.

I had to pause that episode because I could not stop laughing at her discussion of golfing with Lewis Black and Ron White.

"Three million? My first ex-wife got a dryer! A DRYER!"

I would also enjoy Judge John Hodgman more if it had a Jesse Thorn-ectomy. The only place I can tolerate Jesse Thorn is when he does random fantasy league picks on Sklarbro Country.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

While I'm really enjoying "Walking the Room" these days, I blame them for my recent purchase of Tim-Tams as they started eating a box as I was driving to the store.

Who am I kidding? Tim-Tams are awesome.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

I think the Audible codes are only to sign up a new account for each--I don't think they'll give a pre-existing account a free book.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Today's WTF podcast has a lengthy discussion from Maron about how he was consulting on Charlie Sheen's tour. Could be an interesting fit, since Sheen appears to be on an upswing manic phase and Maron has an extensive knowledge of dealing with the crazy.

Plus, yet another member of The State visits the Cat Ranch--Michael Showalter has an interesting interview about his book and his teaching(!) at NYU.

"Did you think you'd be talking about this?"
"No, but I'm thrilled."

Jet Jaguar fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Apr 1, 2011

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Just like Dave on Walking the Room, my cat has never smelled Fresno.

I was also listening to the Cone-tractual Dispute episode of Judge John Hodgman today and I realized I've heard of that food cart.

The review doesn't mention his appearance but the Facebook page does.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Fil5000 posted:

The episode where everyone in the UK is clearly drunk is probably the best one. Especially as they have the "gently caress you" cake in the studio.

Was that the same episode as the "gently caress you Chris" cupcakes, or am I combining two separate issues of the Bugle?

(Also, http://www.fuckyouchris.com/ makes me laugh every time)

In episode #24 of Walking the Room (which is hilariously awesome), they mention some sort of candy which sounded like cake surrounded by some sort of candy shell? What were these and are they available in the US?

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Cashie posted:

I don't see enough Walking the Room or TOFOP love on here.

Glad I'm not the only one who hates Carolla's podcast

Dave better start grooming some more odd neighbors if the hobotangs are serious about their plan to move to Oregon to live on a Christmas tree farm. They're running out of chances to get a motorcycle.

I'm going through the WTR backlog and I keep finding great gems. "House Shooter and Ponzi Boy" is way up there, along with segment two of "Blood Toilet and Little Big Doll House Explanations."

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

t3ch3 posted:

It's actually good news if Jeff is going to try to monetize on donations and the back catalog. All the early episodes of The Wolf Den were him talking about more specialized ad spot agreements, like the Sklar's do with Legal Zoom, though the LZ ad rep admitted that the ads weren't making them any money, so maybe that's why he's switching the strategy.

How much of LegalZoom not making money on the calming shores of Sklarbro Country is due to them being a bad fit with a comedy audience? Maybe they were banking on more Rome followers when they decided to sponsor the show, sorta like how the sports section of the paper is full of divorce attorney ads.

I'm reminded of the grill enhancer that advertised on WTF for a couple of episodes. Maron seems to have Audible and adamandeve.com as sponsors pretty regularly, so those must be somewhat effective.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

wafflesnsegways posted:

Just read that Al Madrigal is going to be a correspondent on The Daily Show. Realized that I've heard him on a ton of podcasts, but I have no idea what he looks like or what his act is.

Al Madrigal is on one of the Live WTF episodes, from last year at the Stumptown Comedy Festival. (Which ends with Brody Stevens! Do it!)

I may be misremembering, but I think El Chupacabra was on at least one episode of Reno 911. He's also live at the Cat Ranch. Que pasa, baby!

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

A Fistful of Dicks posted:

edit: Also, I've been listening to Walking the Room with Greg Behrendt and Dave Anthony. It's hilarious; very good rapport between Dave and Greg and pretty funny, obscene riffing. It's also apparently one of Patton Oswalt's favorite podcasts, and he makes frequent appearances on it (and he always kills). My *only* problem with it is Dave Anthony's voice and laugh bugs the ever-loving-gently caress out of me -- I can acknowledge that there's absolutely nothing objectively wrong with his voice (hell, I also listen to Greg Proops's podcast without hesitation and his voice isn't exactly melodic), it just cuts right through me like nails on a chalkboard for some reason. If you listen to it, be warned that the show includes some of it's own vocabulary, including the term 'hobotang' as a reference to Dave's white trash, ape-like neighbors who steal oranges from another neighbor's yard, and 'corndoggin' which means inserting one's arm up to the elbow in a man's anus.

I think it was Patton Oswalt who said that being a cuddlah and listening to Walking the Room was like watching the movie Dune where they gave you a glossary to tell you wtf was going on.

http://www.walkingtheroom.com/glossary -- I'll take Tim-Tams over the spice melange any day.

I do not know what it is, but I crack up every time Greg talks about being upon thee like a gryphon or asks why you'd do that when you got friends.

Jet Jaguar fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Jun 2, 2011

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

shotgunbadger posted:

Just listened to an episode of this, and I have to totally agree here. I try to defend HDTGM but...ugh it's wearing on me. This, however, is excellent.

I had to give up on How Did This Get Made due to their abuse of the word "literally." Why do they keep using that word? It does not mean what they think it means.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

wafflesnsegways posted:

Walking the Room is growing on me too. The two of them have a lot of chemistry, but it's much more antagonistic than most podcast host teams. I keep waiting for the moment when the needling and ribbing turns sour and becomes an actual fight, but I haven't heard it yet.

I think we may be too late--on one of the early podcasts, I think it was maybe 14 or 15, they talk about what it was like to work on their early internet show. (Some pre-podcasting radio network that is long since gone.) Their producer drove them apart and they didn't speak for two years. A better cuddlah than I could tell you the specific episode.

Speaking of WTR, Greg is releasing a new edition of one of his albums, and I love the jacket art: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=180147085374884&set=pu.127915030598090
There might be cake!

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Yannick_B posted:

The revelation on the nerdist podcast that people bring Chris Hardwick Doctor Who stuff to sign and that he actually signs it was sort of odd and sort of gross?

Why would people do this? He's not even that much of a Doctor Who fan, other than the recent stuff.

On the other hand, I suspect that Dave and Greg will need to borrow a car to haul the amount of Tim-Tams that people will bring to the Starfish Circus at the Largo.

http://largo.laughstub.com/show.cfm?id=87169

Wil Anderson, Greg Behrendt, Dave Anthony, with guests Brian Posehn and Noted American Gasbag Patton Oswalt. That will be upon thee like a gryphon!

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

I am thinking of bringing the sadness into my home:

http://store.walkingtheroom.com/products/signed-starfish-circus-poster

Now if only I had an orange tree in the yard that it could look out on...

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Conrad_Birdie posted:

Seriously. I thought the episode was pretty slower than usual, but then....holy poo poo.

Also listen to Mike and Tom Eat Snacks, people.

I just started listening this week based on the recommendations in this thread. Great stuff and now I want a Lorna Doone, Jim.

I'm reminded slightly of Walking the Room, only with more emphasis on candy and less emphasis on Grip 'Em Ups. (Which is not to say anything bad about WTR, I'm a cuddlah for life.)

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

ElCondemn posted:

I thought their most recent Smurfs episode was pretty funny, not sure why but it just hit me as pretty funny.

Speaking of Smurfs, this week's Bugle is on fire when you combine the Smurfs box office with London burning.

I blame Walking the Room for my humming "Box full of boxes.... boxboxBOX!" all day.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

GaryOak posted:

Can any kindly soul spare a passing piece of advice for a novice such as myself and tell me some good British or Australian comedic podcasts?

Edit: Canada is okay too

The Bugle with Andy Zaltzman and John Oliver (even though they have one of the worst webpages ever, the better Bugler page is, of course, fuckyouchris.com)
Answer Me This with Helen and Olly, who did a thing last summer answering questions about Britain, such as where can one find the best tea

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

So sad that the Bugle is on hiatus again this week, I'm curious to hear about John Oliver's trip to Portland. (Heckles included a Ceaucescu remark and naming an obscure footballer.)

On the other hand, the interim Bugle includes a continuation of their reunion show at the Edinburgh Comedy Festival. This bit is cracking with (I think) Chris Addison making a brief appearance as the VOICE OF GOD.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

I had to quit listening to How Did This Get Made? when I realized their abuse of the word "literally" overshadowed anything else they said. That and it was mostly surface-level event coverage of the film and how it made *no* sense.

Cuts into my Walking the Room time, where a cuddlah can learn about eating pancakes on an airplane, as mentioned in the most recent episode with Kyle Kinane.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Glitterbomber posted:

Well I personally found it funny regardless, just kinda a heads up that I hope you like chuckling at an awkward family dispute being dragged out on an internet comedy podcast. It's nothing TERRIBLE like horrid family secrets coming out or anything, it's just about half in the brothers kinda get this undertone of 'no, seriously, gently caress you man'.

I kept hoping that the sound of a gavel would be drowned out by them screaming obscenities at each other, because most of their dialogue felt like it was about 10 seconds away from that.

Also, I'd never heard of the magazine the brother was trying to schmooze to get into. This probably makes me old.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

wafflesnsegways posted:

Went to the live Walking the Room show last night - pretty fun! The two of them make a really funny comedy duo on stage. They also had special Walking the Room ice cream.

Starfish Circus 2 sounds like it was a lot of fun, I so wish I could have gone.

As was established in the last cuddle, ice cream is a temperature trip, man.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

This week's podcuddle with Paul Gilmartin (host of the Mental Illness Happy Hour) is excellent. Paul's first words are "Go gently caress yourself" to Dave--quite possibly the best entrance to Walking the Room that I've heard.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

I've been waiting for this one:

@DanaJGould posted:

And here it is! THE DANA GOULD HOUR, with @eddiepepitone, @PaulVacantLot, @johnEnnis and more. Enjoy! http://t.co/Y0mL97oP
He's a great guest on other podcasts, so I'm very curious to see how this goes.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

plastered quack posted:

Baldwin also has an interview with Lorne Michaels, but I haven't heard it yet.

The Lorne Michaels interview is fascinating. You can tell that the two of them have spent a lot of time in each others' company and I wished it was a lot longer.

I also really liked the interviews with Chris Rock and Robert Osborne. (The latter has led such a damned charmed life, starts out working in a tiny theater and then ends up writing a weekly column and then having a network build programming around him.) The banter in the Kathleen Turner episode is great.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Conduit for Sale! posted:

"Yeah, I used to like comedy podcasts, but then they went all corporate." - all of us in 3 years

No worries, there will still be an sponsor-free Walking the Room! Assuming Greg and Dave haven't killed each other by then...

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Song For The Deaf posted:

I learned 2 things after the past month or so of Judge John Hodgman episodes.

1). Monty needs to be bailiff for life.
2). I would listen to a daily five hour show hosted by John Darnielle.

This has been hammered home by the return of the incredibly dull Jesse Thorn. Monty for permanent bailiff! Add in the promise of a Maximum Fun pledge drive this month, and I can see me skipping Hodgman for a while.

Darnielle was amazing and had me convinced I was missing out by not listening to any Merciful Fate.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Walking the Room was the podcast I saved for last because it was like a dessert. A sick dessert that smelled bad but dessert nonetheless.

The more cryptic tweets Dave does without ANY response from Greg makes me wonder if Greg hosed off with some of the money or something. But this is all wild speculation.

At the very least, we got the Dave Holmes story about the Shower Rangers in the second live cuddle. Nothing can take that away. (Seriously the best story ever told.)

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Maarak posted:

What's a good entry point for Walking the Room?

The first 10 or so have horrible sound quality.

#22 is one of the first hobotang mentions
#24 features the start of the classic "no snitching" bit that nearly made me drive my car off the road the first time I heard it
#39 has some pure gold with the birth of Little Big Dollhouse Explanations

Really, any of the guest ones with Wil Anderson, Patton Oswalt, Brian Posehn, Kyle Kinane, or Karen Kilgariff are worth a listen.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

At least with TOFOP they were pretty honest that Charlie's new family-friendly acting job was willing to pay him extra to NOT talk about prison rape, time travel, and bad Batman impersonations.

But yeah, Todd Glass leaving Comedy and Everything Else where I think they were even going to tell what happened but only if a fundraiser hit a certain target, or the many many engineers who've left Earwolf (not to forget Cyber Thug). It's really quite bizarre.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

OK, the Bridgetown Comedy Festival is going to be even more strange than I imagined:

https://twitter.com/WalkingTheRoom/status/323618541846794240

Walking the Room posted:

Gallagher confirmed for the live Bridgetown Comedy Festival podcast in Portland on Saturday. Gallagher. Confirmed.

Also on that show: Todd Glass and Paul Gilmartin

• Locked thread