Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Corridor posted:

Story of Seasons Trio of Towns coming out for EU and AUS on the 13th of october :neckbeard:

Any interest in a quick writeup on early game tips and tricks?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Austen Tassletine
Nov 5, 2010

Dirk the Average posted:

Edit: just realised you asked about Trio of Towns, not Tale of Two Towns. Ignore me.

I've just got back into this game and it is once again hogging my time. A few bits and pieces that it may help to be aware of are below:

Stockpile 10 old boots and old balls for a request you get in first year. Also, save ten snowballs from your first winter until the following one.

Similarly, hold onto any ore stone you pick up. I can't remember how much you need, but it's quite rare and is needed for a couple of important requests.

Sell any other precious metals you find or win in competitions rather than have them clog up your inventory. Some later requests will ask for them, but will need higher quality than what you'll get early game anyway.

You can increase the amount of products your animals produce by getting them treats, but you will need to look up the numbers which have no rhyme nor reason. Also, make sure you write down how many of each treat you've given to each animal, as the game did not record this for you. The whole mechanic is rather obscured.

Be aware that shops do not open on rainy days. They also have certain days off each week and for festivals. With the seed shop in particular this can be a real pain, as even when it is open there's no guarantee he will stock the seed you want. I would suggest buying seeds in advance each season for the following year, otherwise it is quite possible that you won't have a chance to grow the crop, even if it should have been unlocked.

As mentioned in some above posts, it takes a very long time to unlock all the farm expansions. You can only do one upgrade per season, and only on the farm you're currently at. Furthermore, the tunnel requests and a couple that you need to do before you can get married or have a child take the place of the expansion for that season, pushing things back even further.

A few years in you can buy a cart that preserves item freshness indefinitely, until then accept that your perishables will perish and use/sell them before this happens.

Until your farm ramps up money will come mainly from foraging and fishing and answering the requests that ask for the more readily available items.

Austen Tassletine fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Oct 7, 2017

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.

Dirk the Average posted:

Save glitter rocks and black rocks. You will need them.

Be sure to hoard vanilla, once you get Lulukoko. Uh. Trying to think. Be sure to be social, for sure.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Aerofallosov posted:

Save glitter rocks and black rocks. You will need them.

Be sure to hoard vanilla, once you get Lulukoko. Uh. Trying to think. Be sure to be social, for sure.

Yeah, I'll have to double check my notes. There are some tricks with early unlocks like leaving a couple of crops unpicked at the end of Spring so that you can unlock a couple of farm things early, cooking being the key to getting huge amounts of money, and that thyme and sage (if I remember correctly) can only be found before year 2 by digging with a pet, and savescumming them is a really good idea for some of the other unlocks.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Thyme is important, I think.

Best perk is the extra heart.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Tired Moritz posted:

Thyme is important, I think.

Best perk is the extra heart.

I disagree. Tycoon is a great start that gives you a head start on buying special fodder and treats for a cow and chicken. Winning animal festivals is super important since a couple of unlocks are tied to festival wins.

Edit: eventually you'll be chowing down on food constantly for speed buffs and money discounts. The heart is kind of redundant at that point, and you can afford meals at the restaurant with tycoon.

Dirk the Average fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Oct 8, 2017

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Dirk the Average posted:

Yeah, I'll have to double check my notes. There are some tricks with early unlocks like leaving a couple of crops unpicked at the end of Spring so that you can unlock a couple of farm things early, cooking being the key to getting huge amounts of money, and that thyme and sage (if I remember correctly) can only be found before year 2 by digging with a pet, and savescumming them is a really good idea for some of the other unlocks.

thank you but what does this mean?

"There are some tricks with early unlocks like leaving a couple of crops unpicked at the end of Spring so that you can unlock a couple of farm things early,"

in just about every HM and SoS, leaving a crop unpicked when the season changes results in CROP MASS DEATH. i'm assuming that's not what happens if you do it here, can u explain this a lil more pls? thank u

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Austen Tassletine posted:

Edit: just realised you asked about Trio of Towns, not Tale of Two Towns. Ignore me.

lmao

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Dirk the Average posted:

I disagree. Tycoon is a great start that gives you a head start on buying special fodder and treats for a cow and chicken. Winning animal festivals is super important since a couple of unlocks are tied to festival wins.

Edit: eventually you'll be chowing down on food constantly for speed buffs and money discounts. The heart is kind of redundant at that point, and you can afford meals at the restaurant with tycoon.

I went with Tycoon because gimme that cash, but I think the popularity one has some good merits for the early game: I'm pretty sure it gives you enough Friendship with characters that you can eat with them from the beginning, and having free recovery that early on is awesome.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Corridor posted:

thank you but what does this mean?

"There are some tricks with early unlocks like leaving a couple of crops unpicked at the end of Spring so that you can unlock a couple of farm things early,"

in just about every HM and SoS, leaving a crop unpicked when the season changes results in CROP MASS DEATH. i'm assuming that's not what happens if you do it here, can u explain this a lil more pls? thank u

Edit: This whole post is kinda a giant spoiler, so proceed at your own risk.

Farming Tips (unlocks):

For farming tips 1, you need to grow (harvest) 3 different kinds of crops. I haven't tried to replicate this, but I left mature crops unharvested on the last day of spring and they were still there on the first day of summer, which meant that picking them counted towards completing farming tips 1. This makes it easier to finish the first step quickly. I don't recall if it would have delayed me at all anyway (you need to unlock Ludus and build a 2nd barn, buy a 2nd cow, and remodel the house), but getting the seed maker and the milk maker are priorities because the faster you get the seed maker, the faster you get the high rank crops you need to finish farming tips 2.

The milk maker (major money spoiler) essentially allows for infinite money. Shipping (2-300) dishes to westown unlocks the cornmeal flatbread recipe. By using the milk maker, you can turn milk into the yogurt and butter needed for the recipe, and make huge amounts of money. It also gives you access to a large amount of cornmeal flatbread, which gives you speed buffs and cheaper prices on its own, which is definitely worthwhile even if you don't use the nearly infinite money to break the game in half.

For farming tips 3, the harvest branded items is misleading. What it means is essentially win 9 festivals that increase the rank of items. The cooking festival can raise the rank of multiple items at once, which is a fantastic way to get this unlocked ASAP.

The earliest you can finish all 3 farming tips and unlock the basement to grow crops year-round is the first Winter. You can't transfer trees to the basement, and you'll probably want to grow trees in the basement, so I would suggest not worrying about most fruit trees other than coconuts and fall trees that will mature before your first winter, and spring or summer trees that you can harvest before your basement trees mature. To unlock coconut trees, you can sell 300 fruit to lulukoko, which basically means buying 300 fruit from them and selling it right back. You can do this with a lot of crops, flowers, and other things to get unlocks early.

Fertilizing:

Super fertilizer is a trap. It increases all parameters by 1, but that doesn't matter for crops that don't have all 3 parameters, like flowers. You're much much better off using the upgraded fertilizers if you want to go that route, but honestly you should be fine just using the simple fertilizers that increase a parameter by 4. The liquid fertilizer tank is amazing, and the moment you can afford to, use the tank to make mega liquid fertilizers. They're relatively cheap, and up a parameter by 7-8%. Always fertilize, then liquid fertilize, and you can raise your crops 11-12% in one parameter a day, which will max them out quickly. If a plant has the size quality, upgrade that first.

When you can, try to get the Maiden with Shield farm decoration (and the Maiden with Spear decoration). The shield maiden ups the quality of products you make in a maker building, which means that your seed maker adds ~20% of the parameter each time you make a seed from the affected crop. This makes it pretty trivial to upgrade your plants quickly.

Also, the fertilizer that ups the amount your plants produce drops the size of those plants. However, for plants that don't have a size category anyway, like flowers, it just means you get extra plants with no downside. The effect resets every harvest, but it's absolutely worth using once you've maxed out their other stats.

Mining:

If you wait for 3 days between mining, the quality of what you mine increases. You can also save before mining, and then reload if you don't like what you got. This can be very useful for getting philosopher's stones. Philosopher's stones and, if I'm not mistaken, pink diamonds, cannot be mined unless you have a max level hammer and you also wait 3 days between mining sessions.

Town Link Ranks:

Wasabi (ship 50 to Tsuyakusa to unlock chili peppers for lulukoko), coconuts (needed for the winery for Westown, and for harvesting tree crops for lulukoko), grapes (needed for wine for westown and tsuyakusa), and adzuki beans are super important. Most of the rest you'll just kind of unlock on your own as long as you grow some of everything. Remember that you can buy some things, like fruit, from vendors and then resell it to other towns to complete their quests.

Food buffs:

Find a source of the speed food buff and the discount food buff asap (read the spoiler above for a really good one that kind of breaks the game). Later on, Gratin is amazing as a food that provide speed boost and also provides a slow time effect. There are some buffs for better fishing, more friendship points, less stamina consumption, minor stamina regen, etc. Experiment with foods, because the buffs are really useful and once you start chowing down on speed boost food, you never go back. Experiment with foods that the restaurants offer too; some of them can give you stuff like the discount buff for when you're about to spend a lot of money.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

thank you, friend

that's a hell of a lot to take in, i hope it is all explained in a well-paced and intuitive manner bc otherwise i am going to die

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

also the characters had better be insane and charming as hell. the ones in SoS were *okay* but a lot of their appeal was the excellent portrait art. im missing rune factory and forget-me-not-valley characters p bad.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Corridor posted:

thank you, friend

that's a hell of a lot to take in, i hope it is all explained in a well-paced and intuitive manner bc otherwise i am going to die

I enjoy optimizing unlocks in harvest moon games, so all that is only necessary if you want to try to quickly get stuff unlocked. If you kinda just coast through the game and enjoy it over the course of 2-3 in-game years, then there's no big worry and you'll unlock stuff eventually. It's all very chill and relaxed.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Dirk the Average posted:

I enjoy optimizing unlocks in harvest moon games, so all that is only necessary if you want to try to quickly get stuff unlocked. If you kinda just coast through the game and enjoy it over the course of 2-3 in-game years, then there's no big worry and you'll unlock stuff eventually. It's all very chill and relaxed.

NO I MUST UNLOCK EVERYTHING AT EARLIEST POSSIBLE TIME *breathes heavily, knuckles turn white gripping 3ds*

for real i am absolutely going to go through like 2-3 characters in the first couple of ingame months before i settle into it

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
Rushing isnt that good since some items are time-gated. A chill pace is good.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Corridor posted:

also the characters had better be insane and charming as hell. the ones in SoS were *okay* but a lot of their appeal was the excellent portrait art. im missing rune factory and forget-me-not-valley characters p bad.

the characters are incredibly charming and they've got a good amount of dialogue, but everyone's still more grounded than even the most normal RF characters. (...Doug?)

except woofio

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Replaying Rune Factory Frontier and it's amazing how actually knowing what I'm doing speeds things along.

One in game week and I already have all my tools at their level one upgrades and am going to get the Barn the second my next crop finishes.

First time I didn't get the barn until Summer!

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

Dr Pepper posted:

Replaying Rune Factory Frontier and it's amazing how actually knowing what I'm doing speeds things along.

One in game week and I already have all my tools at their level one upgrades and am going to get the Barn the second my next crop finishes.

It's hosed up that you can't marry Erik

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

Dr Pepper posted:

I'm surprised you can stand it, i tried it again about a year ago and the much slower animations and lack of QoL improvements that later games had made it agonizing.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Frontier isn't that bad, yeah animations are a little slow but I still feel like I have plenty of time to do things.

I do miss the Quest Board and Skills for Everything though.

Sadly there aren't likely to be any more Rune Factory games. :smith:

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

Blhue posted:

I'm surprised you can stand it, i tried it again about a year ago and the much slower animations and lack of QoL improvements that later games had made it agonizing.

The crafting bar minigame can go to hell

Dr Pepper posted:

Sadly there aren't likely to be any more Rune Factory games. :smith:

I'm waiting very patiently. Any day now

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Sorry you have to make do with Re:Legend.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Linnaeus posted:

The crafting bar minigame can go to hell

What?

The crafting bar minigame is great. It basically means it's nigh impossible to fail any craft and there's no RNG to it at all.

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

Dr Pepper posted:

What?

The crafting bar minigame is great. It basically means it's nigh impossible to fail any craft and there's no RNG to it at all.

When you fully plant some fields with crops, the minigame makes the cooking afterwards take forever...

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

TurnipFritter posted:

Sorry you have to make do with Re:Legend.

I'm definitely keeping an eye on that one.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

SoS ToT is out in EUR and AUS finally!

i can't buy it until next week tho...

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

And here's one of the better parts of Rune Factory Frontier.

Henceforth he shall be known as Raguna Wolfrider. :black101:

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.
I restarted Skytree Village. I like most of it, but dang, RNG all over in this thing. And you pretty much NEED a guide to get most of the mutations. That, and a lot of luck and fertilizer.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

got SoS: ToT, i have some questions!

is buying it from the store the only way to get spicy fodder/feed?

are they really still doing that same mining system with the nodes???

can i do anything with the various animals hanging around, foxes, bears etc, like in SoS?

when i try to get a bug, it just says i 'found' it, and lists the name. i'm assuming it's being recorded somewhere? can i actually pick them up?

and can i PLEASE change my appearance some time soon? i am so sick of staring at this drat ugly hat!!!

thank u

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

also i kinda hate the characters in Westown so far, which bums me out bc i quite liked the ones in the first SoS. :(

do they get better as i unlock more places/people? bc this first lot are all kinda bad.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
What did Wayne do to you

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Tired Moritz posted:

What did Wayne do to you

you mean the sleazy guy who won't stop talking about how funny it is to see someone as pretty as me working on a farm?

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Corridor posted:

is buying it from the store the only way to get spicy fodder/feed?

are they really still doing that same mining system with the nodes???

can i do anything with the various animals hanging around, foxes, bears etc, like in SoS?

when i try to get a bug, it just says i 'found' it, and lists the name. i'm assuming it's being recorded somewhere? can i actually pick them up?

and can i PLEASE change my appearance some time soon? i am so sick of staring at this drat ugly hat!!!

thank u

You unlock construction somewhere around the middle of Spring. You can make different fodder once you get the appropriate maker. Generally, it's better to just buy the fodder because it's less of a pain though. Makers unlock over time as you complete farm requests. Those start in Summer.

Yep. Mining is nodes. Saving before mining allows for mineral savescumming if you are so inclined.

You can pick up the random animals and feed them. More animals start showing up if you do. I think there are one time gifts if you do?

If you tag enough bugs, a nice thing happens. This repeats infinitely, so it's not a bad thing to do. The reward can be savescummed.

I don't remember if you start with a closet, but if you don't, you get one when you remodel.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)

Corridor posted:

you mean the sleazy guy who won't stop talking about how funny it is to see someone as pretty as me working on a farm?

hot people don't work at farms, of course

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

Tired Moritz posted:

hot people don't work at farms, of course

They get slaves household staff and gypsies wandering gardeners to do that for them!

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Dirk the Average posted:

You unlock construction somewhere around the middle of Spring. You can make different fodder once you get the appropriate maker. Generally, it's better to just buy the fodder because it's less of a pain though. Makers unlock over time as you complete farm requests. Those start in Summer.

Yep. Mining is nodes. Saving before mining allows for mineral savescumming if you are so inclined.

You can pick up the random animals and feed them. More animals start showing up if you do. I think there are one time gifts if you do?

If you tag enough bugs, a nice thing happens. This repeats infinitely, so it's not a bad thing to do. The reward can be savescummed.

I don't remember if you start with a closet, but if you don't, you get one when you remodel.

thank u v much

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Corridor posted:

thank u

I'll add a bit more information to these answers. There's a mostly complete guide to everything at Fogu, as always. The other usual suspect for a good guide is Thonky

1) Several things. If I recall correctly, friendship is shared across all animals of the same type, even different colored ones. Like in other HM/SoS games, wild animals will bring you presents when you befriend them. A mid-range friendship with the foxes is needed to unlock an event with a certain character. And befriending all of the animals is needed for an achievement trophy.
Though most importantly of all, in MY opinion, is an adorable new feature called Furmiliar Events. You can have one of your pets be your best friend pet who will live in your house, and you bake a meal for on their birthday like a regular family member. When you have a Furmilar and a certain level of hearts with them, and a certain amount of friendship with them, you can trigger an event that will let you have events with wild animals every 20 days. I believe there's one event for each type of wiild animal, and they're like events you would have with townspeople.

2) When you upgrade your house to standard size, you'll be able to get a clothing closet. There are something like 165 clothing items, 74 hats, and 25 eyewears, and that's before the DLC patches that will eventually be released. Spread across male and female farmers, of course. Most clothing you have to give the materials to craft, but a few can be won in contests.
There will also be a hairstylist unlocked, and eventually the ability to change eye color as well. Characters can wear both clothing and hairstyles meant for either gender.

Also, I found the characters in this game a bit flat at first, but once I had unlocked their friendship events, they got development and I ended up really liking all of them.

Also also, writing this post made me want to pick up the game again after my 6 month hiatus. Ha. I wonder if North American farmers can trade with European ones? I've got some 5-star crops and hoardables I could throw out into the void for people just starting out. Some of the requirements for clothes are bullshit, and I could send out some like, Brown Alpaca Cloth ++++++++ or whatever it was that you could only raise one specific livestock for, for like 2 outfits, because God forbid you not dye the Alpaca cloth brown when you could dye it every color, because that would ruin the integrity of Naturally Brown Alpaca Wool as a whole I guess.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

thank you for the explanation i will try to survive until the closet happens.

ive decided i like the weirdass little girl with elizabethan hairstyle, and the extremely autistic doctor.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Your uncle also gets a cute romance arc. Its sweet. :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

i'd just like to say that farm circles is a really dumb name

• Locked thread