Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

Catalina posted:

I'll add a bit more information to these answers. There's a mostly complete guide to everything at Fogu, as always. The other usual suspect for a good guide is Thonky

1) Several things. If I recall correctly, friendship is shared across all animals of the same type, even different colored ones. Like in other HM/SoS games, wild animals will bring you presents when you befriend them. A mid-range friendship with the foxes is needed to unlock an event with a certain character. And befriending all of the animals is needed for an achievement trophy.
Though most importantly of all, in MY opinion, is an adorable new feature called Furmiliar Events. You can have one of your pets be your best friend pet who will live in your house, and you bake a meal for on their birthday like a regular family member. When you have a Furmilar and a certain level of hearts with them, and a certain amount of friendship with them, you can trigger an event that will let you have events with wild animals every 20 days. I believe there's one event for each type of wiild animal, and they're like events you would have with townspeople.

2) When you upgrade your house to standard size, you'll be able to get a clothing closet. There are something like 165 clothing items, 74 hats, and 25 eyewears, and that's before the DLC patches that will eventually be released. Spread across male and female farmers, of course. Most clothing you have to give the materials to craft, but a few can be won in contests.
There will also be a hairstylist unlocked, and eventually the ability to change eye color as well. Characters can wear both clothing and hairstyles meant for either gender.

Also, I found the characters in this game a bit flat at first, but once I had unlocked their friendship events, they got development and I ended up really liking all of them.

Also also, writing this post made me want to pick up the game again after my 6 month hiatus. Ha. I wonder if North American farmers can trade with European ones? I've got some 5-star crops and hoardables I could throw out into the void for people just starting out. Some of the requirements for clothes are bullshit, and I could send out some like, Brown Alpaca Cloth ++++++++ or whatever it was that you could only raise one specific livestock for, for like 2 outfits, because God forbid you not dye the Alpaca cloth brown when you could dye it every color, because that would ruin the integrity of Naturally Brown Alpaca Wool as a whole I guess.

Number 1 is sorta correct. Most animals the friendship is across all of that type, except for the birds in the beach town. The parrots of each color have their own friendship levels, but in order to get the decoration building, you only need to become besties with one of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

who are the good husubands in this game? i'm inclined toward Ford just bc i googled him and all his romantic interactions look incredibly joyless and awkward and that's hilarious, but wayne is a sleaze and ludus seems 'just some guy' from first impressions.

do not recommend the dog pls we all know he's the hottie of our dreams, that is a given

Fru Fru
Sep 14, 2007
We're gonna need a bigger boat...and some water.

Corridor posted:

who are the good husubands in this game? i'm inclined toward Ford just bc i googled him and all his romantic interactions look incredibly joyless and awkward and that's hilarious, but wayne is a sleaze and ludus seems 'just some guy' from first impressions.

do not recommend the dog pls we all know he's the hottie of our dreams, that is a given

I chose Ludus because he was nice and I wanted our baby to have purple hair. Also he builds your house how can you not love him??

Ford is basically teaching a robot how to love and he was my second choice. If I ever play this again I might go that route.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

oh man, i just got the closet, and it really does let me change *only* my clothes like an actual closet, and nothing else.

my absolute favourite thing about SoS was that it let me change my entire appearance, right down to my face and skin colour, at any time, for no cost and with no restriction. it's the only time a game has let me do this, and it was great! in fact it spoiled me, and felt frustratingly restrictive when i moved on to other games. but now i just looked this up, and in SoS:ToT i can only change my eye colour and hair, and then only after certain places and characters become unlocked much later?

why do all games insist on locking you into your starting appearance, and only letting you change small details after you make a chunk of ingame headway? it's not like i will connect any *less* to my character because of it, if anything it made my like my little person a bunch more. "it's like real life and therefore immersive" has always been a really bad reason to insist on tedious mechanics in a video game.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

i am EXTREMELY Mad At Videogames over this

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?
If I ever make a game like this I'm going to have a closet that only lets you change your clothes and a meat locker that only lets you change your physical appearance.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

Corridor posted:

oh man, i just got the closet, and it really does let me change *only* my clothes like an actual closet, and nothing else.

my absolute favourite thing about SoS was that it let me change my entire appearance, right down to my face and skin colour, at any time, for no cost and with no restriction. it's the only time a game has let me do this, and it was great! in fact it spoiled me, and felt frustratingly restrictive when i moved on to other games. but now i just looked this up, and in SoS:ToT i can only change my eye colour and hair, and then only after certain places and characters become unlocked much later?

why do all games insist on locking you into your starting appearance, and only letting you change small details after you make a chunk of ingame headway? it's not like i will connect any *less* to my character because of it, if anything it made my like my little person a bunch more. "it's like real life and therefore immersive" has always been a really bad reason to insist on tedious mechanics in a video game.

You unlock hair in the second town, and face comes from Witchie. You can even change eye color. Basically the only thing you can't change is gender, and even then you can still cross-dress. I have a cute transgender girl whose family loves her but refuses to call her anything other than a boy.

Marrying Ludus apparently has a bug if you are shipping to his town, and also one with one of the festivals.

I Watson
Feb 25, 2011

Good-night, sweet prince;
And flights of angels sing thee to thy rest.

Kruller posted:

You unlock hair in the second town, and face comes from Witchie. You can even change eye color. Basically the only thing you can't change is gender, and even then you can still cross-dress. I have a cute transgender girl whose family loves her but refuses to call her anything other than a boy.

Marrying Ludus apparently has a bug if you are shipping to his town, and also one with one of the festivals.

The bit that is bugged is that the Beverage Bash won't play when it is held in Lulukoko if you're married to Ludus. You'll enter the town and the festival music will play, but the screen stays white as it tries to transition but fails a check in the code and just stays stuck there. They haven't patched this yet, so if you really want rewards from that, you have to avoid marrying him until they do. I assume it will be fixed when the DLC is released though, or at least I hope it will be!

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

hey again nerds. i'm about halfway through summer, the new japanese girl just showed up. would love to have some kind of ingame explanation of how 3 towns in such very close proximity ended up with such radically different cultures and plants/animals.

have decided to get a pet finally, probably should have a while back but yknow, stuff to do. what is the best pet ability, in your experience? i'm leaning either ore-finder or plant-finder. no idea what misc finder would be.

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

Corridor posted:

hey again nerds. i'm about halfway through summer, the new japanese girl just showed up. would love to have some kind of ingame explanation of how 3 towns in such very close proximity ended up with such radically different cultures and plants/animals.

have decided to get a pet finally, probably should have a while back but yknow, stuff to do. what is the best pet ability, in your experience? i'm leaning either ore-finder or plant-finder. no idea what misc finder would be.

Pushing animals around is a pain, so I like the herding ability best. The ore finding can get some good stuff though. A plant finding dog can get some thyme, which is pretty helpful.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Corridor posted:

By the time your pets give you anything really good, you'll more or less have unlocked everything (pet xp levels up slowly). Pets give you stuff up to once per day, and you can start collecting from them around 6pm if I remember correctly. Herding pets herd twice a day. I like getting 2 herders, and then at least one of each type of pet. Misc is apparently one of the best because some of the stuff it gives isn't available outside of festival rewards, but ore and plants aren't bad either. Fish is kinda meh because you can eventually unlock fish ponds where you can breed fish, so a larger supply is irrelevant and you can buy fish for maker recipes anyway. Thyme and Rosemary can be rare outside of pets (I got all my thyme and a bunch of rosemary by taking my main pet on a walk; if you don't do this, it takes forever to get them), but again, it'll take forever for them to give you those anyway.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Corridor posted:

In Trio of Towns, you can get up to 12 pets maximum. :getin: One pet per pet house that you buy. You also can make one of them your best-friend-pet that sleeps inside with you, gives you gifts, and is treated like a family member. My favorite pet ability has to be herding, because sending the animals in and out to graze ups affection and lowers stress, and you don't have to do anything. Dogs, cats, and capybaras can all have the herding trait, so it's pretty hilarious to have a herding capybara herding a flock of 4 giant sheep.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

thank you for the replies, friends.

i about died when i saw Noodles, the black cat in the japanese supermarket building, so i'm holding out for that and also the enormous tibetan mastiff that is larger than me bc i want that dog IRL

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Any tips for rune factory 4? I want to rush through until I get the post game features

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

Tired Moritz posted:

Any tips for rune factory 4? I want to rush through until I get the post game features

Taming a monster from Leon Karnak after the mansion and then upgrading broadswords to get forging to 50 is the go to speedrun strategy. That's only for the post 2nd arc features though. The third arc was designed around spending time having fun with the game, so it can't be rushed without doing a really tedious process...

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
You basically have all the postgame features by the time you finish the second arc, so that shouldn't be a problem in this case.

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

Yeah definitely. If you're looking for no-hassle typhoons, changing your sprite, and getting some RF3 music nostalgia, then you're good to go.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.

Tired Moritz posted:

Someone consolidated a ton into the first post on page 100 of this very thread.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

there are a lot of annoyances w SoS:ToT but i'm really liking this Town Link mechanic. it feels like a way more natural way to unlock upgrades and extras and a lot more open-ended than all the time-based unlock systems the HM games have been doing (and how bad was it to unlock the last couple of stalls in the last SoS?)

also, has anyone been talking to the faceless NPCs that just wander around the towns to flesh the place out? did you know they actually have a bunch of different dialogue depending on the time and place you find them in, and that they have freaking *relationships* with each other? the guys in Tsuyukusa are like an anime about feudal Japan. samurai and their retainers, dueling warriors who talk poo poo about each other ("who does that guy think he is, shouting out the names of his special moves like that while he's fighting?"), this wandering ronin who harps on about the darkness in his soul, and the woman who is in love with him but he's too wrapped up to notice her. and this one woman who just talks about shopping unless you catch her at just the right time, when she's muttering to herself about her secret ninja mission.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

they even have relationships w the main NPCs, like this little girl who goes to school with Sumomo (apparently there's a school somewhere) and this guy who hangs out with Marco every day and talks about how they're both old man buddies and they go way back.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Aaa that sounds really good, i really want to get it ...but exams :(

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

TinyCartridge says the Trio of Towns DLC comes out in North America on November 9th for $8. Apparently that includes both Steph and Woofio and all the new towon events and costumes. There's also going to be a free patch that adds the Rune Factory 4 costumes.

I Watson
Feb 25, 2011

Good-night, sweet prince;
And flights of angels sing thee to thy rest.

TurnipFritter posted:

TinyCartridge says the Trio of Towns DLC comes out in North America on November 9th for $8. Apparently that includes both Steph and Woofio and all the new towon events and costumes. There's also going to be a free patch that adds the Rune Factory 4 costumes.

:krakentoot: That is a great price, I've been waiting for the DLC to finish my game, although I might do a new game to really get a feel for everything again.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

The US DLC is out today, it's $7.99 and is a set of all the Japanese DLC in one package.
Information on what's included in the patch is here
I can't wait to start a game as a boy and talk about girls with my bros. :3:

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.
Yay! Now I can run around in more outfits. I think the Christmas outfits were in? Shame about Hamtaro and them, but Japan's licensing rules are strict.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

The new events are all very :3:.

8 bux well spent honestly.

LizzieBorden
Dec 6, 2009

She's hackin' and wackin' and smackin'
She just hacks, wacks, chopping that meat

I'm really enjoying Trio of Towns, is there anything I should be stockpiling to help be unlock the town ranks later on?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

LizzieBorden posted:

I'm really enjoying Trio of Towns, is there anything I should be stockpiling to help be unlock the town ranks later on?

There's a good list of the specific stuff you need broken down by season that can't be bought or obtained easily

Animal products
30 wool, not suffolk
15 alpaca wool, not brown
10 rabbit fur, not grey

spring crops:
20 bellflower (spring, seeds from westown)
50 turnips (spring, seeds available in tsuyukusa in year 2 or later)
PLANT YOUR GRAPE TREES EARLY IN THIS SEASON because you want at least 80 grapes from the coming fall season -- you'll probably want to plant at least two trees as soon as you hit westown rank D and use propagation fertilizer when fall comes

summer crops:
20 hibiscus (summer, seeds from lulukoko)
20 sunflower (summer, seeds from tsuyukusa)
50 shiso (summer, seeds sold in tsuyukusa at rank D or higher)
50 cacao (plant by early winter to harvest in summer, seeds sold lulukoko at rank C or higher)

fall crops:
20 sweet potato (fall, seeds from tsuyukusa)
20 pink carnation (fall, seeds from tsuyukusa)
20 hilton daisy (fall, seeds from westown)
80 grape (plant by early spring to harvest in fall, seeds sold by the general store in westown at rank D)

winter crops:
50 daikon (winter, seeds from tsuyukusa)
20 genitan (winter, seeds available in tsuyukusa at rank C or higher)
REMEMBER TO PLANT YOUR CACAO AND COCONUTS EARLY IN THIS SEASON OR EARLIER, as well as any other lulukoko-native saplings you want (especially orange, if you don't plan to buy it) -- you need to harvest 50 lulukoko tree fruit AFTER hitting the 4th link rank lock and lulukoko tree fruit is only harvested in summer, so keep this in mind during your first fall and winter

any season crops, plant these as soon as you see them, if you can:
50 chili peppers (any season, seeds available in tsuyukusa at rank B or higher)
20 azuki beans (any season, seeds available in tsuyukusa at rank C or higher) (plant these ASAP, because they take a month+ to grow)
30 cotton (any season, seeds available in tsuyukusa at rank C or higher)

This will let you miss the most obnoxious locks.

LizzieBorden
Dec 6, 2009

She just hacks, wacks, chopping that meat

Thank you!

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
I think at some point you can just buy fruits then ship it to count

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Tired Moritz posted:

I think at some point you can just buy fruits then ship it to count

No they thought of this and what counts is the act of harvesting the fruit.

I hit the fourth link at year 2 fall 1 after my sheep hit S rank product quality. Wool + doesn’t count.

I now have an extra sheep until I manage to get 30 wool from it and barely talk to my husband because I hate having to deal with the prompt every time. :(

(I also have a shitton of trees growing in the greenhouse.)

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I picked up A New Beginning this weekend, because it seemed like a less finicky/better reviewed/more recent version of the concept that Island of Happiness was going for with the community starting off very small and then building over time. In some of the other games I feel like it's been hard to figure out who everyone is and where I can find them right out the gate (I have terrible visual memory and direction sense), so starting off small seemed like a good way to manage that, though the days are long enough in this one that it maybe wouldn't have mattered if the city had been fully populated from the start anyway.

Despite wanting a somewhat slower start, I found myself agreeing with the criticisms of how glacial the first season felt. Before I decided to just sleep when there was nothing to do, I was doing multiple foraging loops a day, which got tedious really fast. I guess getting a cow ended up being a bit of a time sink, because manually pushing it in and out of the barn is slow as gently caress.

I'm up to summer now, and got trolled by the game because the first day of summer is on a day when the general store's closed and I can't get any new seeds to plant. Slow start aside (which should be a lot better at this point now that the town building stuff is available), I'm having fun, and am looking forward to things continuing to open up from here. I probably (definitely) should have just bought the new game though.

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg
I can't believe you can marry Woofio wtf? I can't wait to divorce him after I have weird dog kids so I can go through a dramatic custody battle with some guy in a fursuit

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
he's not a dude in a fursuit

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Yasuhiro Wada, the original creator for the Harvest Moon/Bokumono/Story of Seasons franchise (or should I say... Ranchise) , has a new game coming out for PS4 and Switch called Little Dragon Cafe. All I can find is this concept art though:

quote:

Dragon Husbandry – Embrace your parental instincts and raise your very own dragon! Through wise decisions, proper nutrition, and empathetic nurturing show the world the true potential of your dragon companion!

Culinary Capitalism – Learn new recipes and master the art of cooking while running your very own café. Explore the world, discover new ingredients, and expand your menu (and your restaurant) while catering to the whims of your customers.

Grow Your Own – The tastiest dishes use the freshest ingredients, and the best way to insure that is to grow your own produce. Till the land and fish the rivers to gather the most flavorful fixings for your signature dishes.
Serve the People – Feeding is nurturing, so you not only cook for your neighbors, but also help them with their problems to increase your popularity and the general happiness of everyone around you.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Tired Moritz posted:

he's not a dude in a fursuit

Yeah, he's literally just the fursuit. Trio of Towns gets loving weird.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
honestly sounds like the other shopkeep game that he made

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I feel like I should get the new one for free after paying full price for Hometown Story (there was a Club Nintendo bonus IIRC)

Catalina
May 20, 2008

A baby dragon!? I really want this to be good. :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Stylistically, Little Dragon Cafe is very hit and miss. The storybook background in the house looks pretty neat, but the character models and the exterior shot are a little more PS2/Gamecube era than I would like.

• Locked thread