Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fru Fru
Sep 14, 2007
We're gonna need a bigger boat...and some water.

Night Gaunt posted:

This is a stupid question but how do I clear the tunnel? No one has said anything about it other than the Harvest Goddess telling me to win the cooking festivals. I don't think cooking is going to clear rocks but maybe I'm wrong?

After each cooking festival, the mayors' friendliness meter goes up. When it gets to a certain point, the Harvest Goddess will imbue the carpenter girl with her power. She will put a request on the board for materials and then she clears a portion of the tunnel. Not sure how many times this takes. I have cleared 2 portions so far and I think the next one might be the last because my mayors are almost at 10 hearts.

I am really enjoying the game. The only thing I don't like is that you can only upgrade once a season. It really slows down the pace, which I guess is the point. But I have a whole lot of money and nothing to spend it on right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fru Fru
Sep 14, 2007

DuckPuncher posted:

If you care about expanding your farm early, you'll want to just watch the festivals, not participate in them. Tunnel expansions WILL override home expansions, and there are quite a few. More than three, at least. I was only able to get one field expansion before they started dumping a whole bunch of tunnel expansions on me, one month at a time, and the mayors were almost at ten hearts, so they were going to keep coming for a while. It was one of the reasons I just restarted the game.

Yeah, I noticed that this season when I didn't get the upgrade option. I don't really mind since the tunnel needs to be done eventually and at least I got one beehive before the tunnel craze started.

Fru Fru
Sep 14, 2007

I Watson posted:

I'll give it another shot then, thanks for the advice. I think my problem is mashing A too many times too quickly.

This is actually how I do it. Mash A and hold a direction. If you need to change direction, wait til you swing the hoe, then hold that direction instead. Takes some practice to get used to.

Fru Fru
Sep 14, 2007

nonnemaus posted:

Whoops, I meant Tale of Two Towns. Sorry! I guess foraged items (apricots, even?) don't count as food?

Pretty sure you can eat apricots and other foraged stuff. I just ate a plum with no problems.

Go to your inventory (X button) and select a food. Hit A and it will move to the right side of the screen where your character is. It will automatically go to the eat option and your character will have a little speech bubble that says "Eat". Hit A again to eat.

Fru Fru
Sep 14, 2007

Wandering Knitter posted:

Yes. :smith: But I'm not too sure how long the lifespan is. Considering I normally stop playing these games once I get married it might not come up in my playthrough.

Well I just got married in my game in Fall 2 and none of my animals have died yet so I guess you'll be fine. I don't know how long it takes either.

Also got my alpacas finally. They're super cute but I wish they wouldn't bounce around like crazy when I'm trying to brush them or something.

Fru Fru
Sep 14, 2007
Looks like everyone is playing Tides now, but in case anyone is still on ToTT, I just found something out in my game that isn't in the guide.

I'm on winter 2, so I was gathering my 6th wonderful for the second time around. The first time, you need to go to the goddess pond and throw one in to get your wish. The second time, she just pops up as soon as you get the 6th stone. Which means if you don't like the wishes she randomly generates, you need to redo the entire day. I didn't really care since she gave me one that I wanted, but there was also a wish that isn't mentioned on the guide: Energize me. I'm guessing it would refill my stamina bar but I didn't want to reset my day to find out.

Might have to go check my Gamestop after work today for Tides.

Fru Fru
Sep 14, 2007

endolithic posted:

Thanks. Yeah, I know about the watching upping the heart meter, that's part of why I don't want to go. :v: You can't upgrade your farm and open the tunnel at the same time, so I'd rather they hate each other for now.

Harvest Moon: Manipulating people's emotions for fun and profit.

You may already know this too, but you also want to watch your love interests meters. As soon as you get to a marriage level, Eileen will offer the bed upgrade which replaces farm upgrades just like the tunnel. And then when you get married she does the same thing with the second upgrade so you can have a kid.

Fru Fru
Sep 14, 2007

ArmadilloConspiracy posted:

I'm really enjoying ToTT. I think the farming is actually better than RF3 (I like the variety of crops, having crops that take multiple months, etc.) My only real complaint is that I can't save whenever I drat well please.

Yeah I think if you put up with the complex water/sunshine system from the previous games, then you should be OK with ToTT. The only downsides to me are the randomly rotating store inventories and that you can only upgrade your farm once per season. I am on year 5 now and still like a year away from getting the mine.

Fru Fru
Sep 14, 2007

Night Gaunt posted:

By the way, does anyone know how many animals you can have on the Konohana farm? I'm just wrapping up year 1 here and I'm a little concerned I won't have room for the dozens of alpacas I want.

2 chickens and 4 other animals.

I don't think it has been mentioned anywhere in this thread, here is how to make your animals produce more than 1 thing a day (I played like 2 years before I knew about this): http://fogu.com/hmforum/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=139988

Fru Fru
Sep 14, 2007

Wandering Knitter posted:

I do have one question for those who have opened the tunnel: How the gently caress do I mine in it? Am I missing something? The game keeps mentioning mining and new paths but I don't see anything.

e: Wait, grains don't need watering?

You can't! You will sometimes find ore laying on the ground in there, but you can't get the actual mine upgrade until you have one farm at 100%. Which takes forever so you can look forward to mining in like year 7.

And no, you don't have to water grains, trees or tea tree bushes.

Fru Fru
Sep 14, 2007

anivasion posted:

Save your 2 and a half star rocks and sticks people. Start early because that poo poo is rare.

It's not that rare as the game progresses. Every year the quality of stuff you forage goes up. In my year 5, I only find 4 and 4.5 star items. Basically the game just doesn't want you to get that upgrade so soon for whatever reason.

Fru Fru
Sep 14, 2007
You do have to keep feeding your pets. I got mine to 10 hearts and missed a day of feeding and they went down to 9 hearts. At max, they will each move 5 animals out of the barn. Get your dogs ASAP so you can start raising affection cause pushing 10 cows and sheep and alpacas out of the barn is a real pain.

Also getting the playpen expansion at bluebell really helps raise the affection level. Just throw them in there after they do their job for the day. This also helps keep them out of your way when milking or whatever.

Fru Fru
Sep 14, 2007

Partial Octopus posted:

So will the pets also bring the animals back inside? Or do they just bring them outside?

They do both.

Fru Fru
Sep 14, 2007

anivasion posted:

I had the strangest glitch in ToTT last night. It's year 3, summer and time to harvest my peaches. I shake the tree and apparently, ghost peaches fell off. I say ghost peaches because no matter what I did, I could not pick the drat things up. I tried throwing half my rucksack's contents in frustration to convince the game I had room. I tried smashing them with my hammer to make jam to see if that would fit in my pockets. I repeatedly left the screen, went in my house, tried to drown myself in Kono's river before I gave up and went to bed while my peaches were left to rot on the ground :(

Why can't I pick up the peaches?!

It was an odd isolated incident because I was able to pick up my next harvest of peaches after that. My copy is just glitchy I suppose.

Wow that is strange. I guess I'm lucky I haven't had any problems with my copy. Year 6 and counting...

Fru Fru
Sep 14, 2007

Conduit for Sale! posted:

I wish they would just combine the HM/RF teams and make each game have great farming and great combat and poo poo. But then they couldn't sell us two games instead of one so they would never do that.

Anyway, I just got RF3 and what do I have to do to upgrade poo poo? I'm guessing I go to the blacksmith since they have a forge there but there's never anybody at the forge.

Also, what's a good weapon to use? I was using dual swords but I read that they're not great since you can't use shields. Then I tried both longsword and shortsword and even though longsword does more damage in a wider arc, it's really slow; shortsword is much faster and doesn't do that much less damage (at this point).

To upgrade your tools, you need to build the forge in your house. I don't remember at the moment how to do that. As for weapons, I would say just use whatever you like. I tended to switch between shortsword and dual swords because I like the faster weapons. I hated the longsword too.

Fru Fru
Sep 14, 2007

Toriori posted:

Oh yeah, that's pretty useless. Maybe I'll just not pay attention to the owl. And yeah, I remember vaguely the mention of irrigation in the beginning of the game.

This page has the basics of irrigation but it is kinda annoying to do if you don't have the upgraded hoe. You basically mash the button and move in the direction you want the channel to go.

If you have any other questions feel free to ask. I got to about year 7 in my game before I stopped playing and still didn't have all the upgrades.

Fru Fru
Sep 14, 2007

Catalina posted:

ToTT is great for that, though! My sister keeps stealing my DS and copy of ToTT to play when she's in bed about to go to sleep.

I wish I could play that way but I stopped when I got tired of using spreadsheets to keep track of all my animal treats.

Fru Fru
Sep 14, 2007

Strenuous Manflurry posted:

For some reason I thought Rune Factory 4 was already out in Japan. It feels like there has been years and years since a Rune Factory dropped, but I keep forgetting about Tides. I still need to finish it!

I just recently started Tides after getting it for xmas. I actually maxed out the in game counter on my save files so uh I guess it's pretty good. There are things I don't like (stupid crop system) but it is miles above Frontier which I never actually finished.

At this point in the game I am just dating all the girls and I guess when I get married I will swap to my girl save game since there won't be another game out yet.

Fru Fru
Sep 14, 2007

Pancakes by Mail posted:

I've loved this series for a long time and currently the only platform I have that can play any of them is the DS. I own Harvest Moon DS (the original) and got Rune Factory 3 on the advice of this thread.

I'm not sure what it is about it, but RF3 really just didn't do it for me. I was afraid the dungeon/magic/combat/monsters portion of it wouldn't appeal to me, and it seems I was right. To be fair I've only put like 4 hours into the game but I'm really not enjoying it.

I guess I'm saying that I want to buy a more traditional HM game for the DS. Twin Cities looks like it could fit the bill. Would you all recommend that I give Twin Cities a shot, or is there a better traditional-style game for the DS, OR should I quit my bitching and keep going with RF3?

If you want more traditional farming and animals stuff, then Two Towns is good for that. I didn't really like the limited progression (I was about 8 years into the game and still didn't have all the upgrades), but if you aren't OCD about optimizing everything it should work for you.

Fru Fru
Sep 14, 2007

Complexcalibur posted:

I never played Frontier, but from what I hear about the Runey system, it feels like the farming system they chose for Tides was almost reflexive in nature; they went from being super involved in farming (not even farming, really, but stupid mimaxing bullshit to make it so you can farm well in the first place) to being almost totally hands off.

I wouldn't really mind, except I've been trying to get Pom Pom Flowers for about three weeks now. :argh:

If they go this route again, maybe it'd be nice to have some sort of control over what the monster actually grows.

Yeah, that was my same problem too. If they set it up so that spring island only grows spring crops and such and had each animal with 1 crop for each island I think it would have been perfect. But the grow whatever they want wherever they want system was just so annoying.

Fru Fru
Sep 14, 2007

Strenuous Manflurry posted:

Rune Factory Tides of Destiny stuff under black bars. Spoilers beware!

I finally beat the boss. That battle was JRPG as gently caress, wasn't it? The power of song and prayer!

So, question here is about Mikoto. Was I supposed to think she was a man, or something? Between the look, the voice, and everything, I pretty well assumed it was a lady, but uh, I wonder if the Japanese version hid it more or something?

Yeah, I have no idea. I thought she was a girl from the beginning and was actually really confused when the game said she was a boy. The weird thing is if you choose to play as Sonja, she keeps on being a "boy" forever.

Fru Fru
Sep 14, 2007

Revol posted:

I got tried of Two Towns before the end of the first year. Don't quite know why. Maybe because I chose the animal town and I didn't care for the animal care. Maybe I should try again in plant town.

I don't think they ever tell you this in game (and it took me a while to figure out) but even if you are living in animal town, you can still use the farm in plant town. You just have to move there to upgrade the fields. Once I did that, I spent most of my time living in animal town and just running over there to water plants and harvest.

Fru Fru
Sep 14, 2007

Zoe posted:

But seriously though how do I buy a watering can and an axe and is it cool for my cow to live in a barn forever because I don't mind pushing it outside right now but once I get more I know it'll get annoying fast. This game needs, like, a cow whistle or a cow leash or something. Or a cow saddle.

This should help http://fogu.com/hm10/basics/tools.php

As for the cow problem, start buying cats and dogs (big dogs for cows, small dogs for other barn animals, cats for chickens). Once you get their friendship levels up, they will move the animals in and out of the barn for you everyday. They will also move them inside if it starts raining. Very helpful.

Fru Fru
Sep 14, 2007

Squidtamer DA posted:

So this is really dumb, but I can't understand how feeding works in Tale of Two Towns. So I know that each amount of feed is worth 5 meals. That means that if I had 5 cows and had to feed them all week, I'd have to refill the feed box once a day, right?

If I am remembering correctly, the livestock all have a set spot that they feed from. So cows 1-4 will feed from feed box 1 and cow 5 will feed from feed box 2. I think the game doesn't let you have more animals than you have available feeding spots so you should have at least 2 now. If you are only using 1, then your other cow is going hungry.

Once your pets have more hearts, they will start herding your animals outside so you don't have to worry about feeding unless it's raining. This really saves a lot of time.

Squidtamer DA posted:

Then what about pets? I have three pets right now and sometimes they'll run over when there's only two globs of food in the trough and everybody ends up fed. Since there's 4 spaces in the trough, does that mean I have to fill up the thing twice if I had 6 pets? Goddamnit, why is this confusing to me? I just want to shove food into my fake virtual animals.

Yes basically, this one you do have to refill. If it is empty just fill it, and you don't have to wait around. I would fill it in the morning and then if it was empty at night, fill it again. They will eat whenever they are in the house (I think). I could be wrong about any of this, it's been a while since I played.

Fru Fru
Sep 14, 2007
Cute cow! I ordered the yak version so I don't have it yet.

I also name my cow Bessie or Bessy. I also name my chickens Chicky and Cluck and such. Yes I am boring with animal names.

Fru Fru
Sep 14, 2007
That's how it worked with treats in ToTT so I figured it was the same here but I couldn't find the right numbers so thanks for that :)

Fru Fru
Sep 14, 2007
I'm in the middle of summer and just waiting on my bees to make honey so I can finish the second restoration.

Animals and outside:
I don't know about cows/sheep, but don't leave your chickens outside overnight or they won't produce eggs. I think the reason to put them outdoors is because you need that 1000 hours to get them to level 5. I personally don't care about this. I only bring my chickens out because that's easy and they actually had some stress but I'm not sure why. It's stupid that you still have to feed them outside though.

Also, I kinda like Neil. He loves animals just like me! Plus he plays the bass, bass guitar. And pretty much all of his conversations are full of typos and poor wording so he's interesting to talk to. And my only other choice right now is Allen and no thanks to that.

After I finish the restorations, can I remove all the crap I had to put in town? My town is cluttered with useless streetlights and bushes that I just threw down wherever there was room.

Fru Fru
Sep 14, 2007

Julet Esqu posted:

I think they were thinking, "Hey, Twilight is pretty popular. That guy was a controlling jerk, right?" And judging from the reactions, looks like they were right.

I can see marrying him just for the sometimes entertaining experience of marrying a videogame shithead, but actually thinking that sort of thing is cute?

Yeah this is some kind of post 50 shades nonsense that I just don't understand.

I just got to Allen's first heart event (I like seeing them all even though I definitely won't pick him). "Having a woman pay for food or drink while she is eating with me goes against everything I stand for." Hey remember who built your house? How about you pay me for that?

Fru Fru
Sep 14, 2007
I am on Fall 20 and just finished town restoration 3 by building the inn. The next day I had 5 cutscenes in the morning. Hey! Are you awake? Yes you were just here!

I decided to start dating Neil. I am impatient and don't feel like waiting for more bachelors to come to town. Allen is an rear end and Rod is boring. Plus I refuse to marry a man that wears goggles everyday.

I agree that herding is not worth it but I am keeping my cat cause she's cute. :3: I just don't put her to work because my animals don't seem to get any stress unless I run out of food.

elzie posted:

I'm at Autumn 18. I finally unlocked the mine, but I haven't found any amethyst for the Maker Shed yet, and all of the town restoration stuff I need requires other stuff from the mine I haven't found enough of yet too. On the plus side, I have found some silver and I hope I'll be able to upgrade my watering can again soon.

Not sure if you know this, but you can save and reload in the mine if you don't get what you want. So if you are looking specifically for an amethyst, just reload until you find one.

Fru Fru
Sep 14, 2007

Revol posted:

You're supposed to be able to get this blueprint eventually, but bribing Neil does get it quicker.

I have him at a yellow heart right now and the only thing he's given me is a wallpaper blueprint. So I don't know how "quick" it is.

Fru Fru
Sep 14, 2007
Well shouldn't yellow heart be like 40k FP? How come he doesn't give me this special bell? Do you have to give him a gift at a certain time/place? Like not when he's working?

Fru Fru
Sep 14, 2007

Revol posted:

They just give you a gift after you gift them.

Ok well maybe my game is bugged. I give him stuff everyday and like I said, I haven't gotten anything useful from him.

Fru Fru
Sep 14, 2007

Revol posted:

Maybe you're missing a heart event that is required?

I've seen all of his heart events but they shouldn't be required. I assume you can get the gifts from him without dating him. Now that I think about it I haven't really gotten gifts from anyone except the tool blueprints from the blacksmith girl. I've given that chef guy so many fish and he's given me 0 recipes.

Fru Fru
Sep 14, 2007
And I was doing so well....I really don't want to start over.

Fru Fru
Sep 14, 2007

Crowbear posted:

According to some dude in a gamefaqs thread you need to have at least 10 animals on your farm in addition to sucking up to Neil to unlock the better bell.

Well that gives me some hope. I only have 7 right now. But it doesn't really explain why I get no gifts from anyone.

Fru Fru
Sep 14, 2007

Revol posted:

IMPROVEMENTS

- If you're like me, you've probably held off on upgrading your house. Why bother? You don't have a wife yet. That's all it's for right? WRONG! FOGU explains that there are additions to your house, like a bathroom, that can replenish stamina. There is also a hot bath that may also be a house addition. Well then, time to get that upgraded house ASAP!

I have the upgraded house. The restroom and bath each restore half a heart each so one whole heart together. Not really a big deal since I never use all my energy anymore but that might be because I have all golden/ultra tools. I actually just spam my hammer a bunch of times to lose energy so I can get my free daily food from Neil. Then I just sell whatever he gives me.

Revol posted:

LIVESTOCK

- Don't leave chickens outside overnight, even if you know it'll be sunny the next day. It sounds like they don't lay eggs when left outside overnight.

This is definitely true.

Fru Fru
Sep 14, 2007
For my first and only garden show so far, I used a wooden set, 2 bushes, and 2 ball topiaries. I got around 2200g from it. As long as I don't get negative FP from it, I don't really care.

Fru Fru
Sep 14, 2007
Yay my game is not busted. Neil finally gave me the pattern but it still took a few days after I got 10 animals. Now I have my farm bell and my animals are running all over my farm cause I have no fences :3:

Fru Fru
Sep 14, 2007
Ok second garden tour. I used stone set; red, yellow, purple, blue, white, and pink benches; cow statue; lion topiary. 2992g and a moderate success. I think that was more than the first one at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fru Fru
Sep 14, 2007

Revol posted:

Problem is, you've blown your load all on one garden. What will you do for your next one? The only easy set you have available will be the wood set.

No I can easily make the farm set and maybe the brick set by then. And I can also reuse the wood set because I didn't use it this time. I'm pretty sure you can reuse stuff, you just can't have the same two in a row. So I can alternate and leave some of these benches in if I feel like it as long as it's less than half.

• Locked thread