Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

oldskool posted:

I could never get into the SNES version. Half the fun is chasing a girlfriend and when you've got unlimited time & unlimited respawning items it's just a mindless grind running back and forth until she loves you.

Unlimited time my rear end, Eve was the only one you could do this with. Though admittedly you could also abuse the Yes/No glitch and agree with a chick a million times in one day and you could buy the Blue Feather as soon as you got your house upgrade. It's pretty impossible to get a 999 ranch score, though; the highest I ever got was the low-900s.

Incidentally, the reincarnation of Eve in HM64 was the only one you could abuse a similar evening glitch with.

Honestly, my favorite is HM64. I just wish they'd remake that, and maybe add in one or two really secret things. I've found all the secrets there are to find (unless Rick improves his teleportation machine) gotten a full album, etc. but it's still fun as hell. And something about the world's art is unparalleled even by these new-fangled HM games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Revol posted:

I'm around the 3rd of Summer on RF2, and I'm getting loving bored already. I cannot understand why they lock off so much of the game until you have your child.

Even then, there just isn't a lot to see. Well, I guess I never finished all four dungeons so maybe there's some mysterious poo poo even deeper in them, but still. Rune Factory 1 handled progression smartly, but had the glaring flaw of season-specific dungeons. I guess you could argue that the point is to grind your skills up because your child retains those levels?

Also, there was that HM SNES LP, and the guy managed to get his wife to leave him, but he was so deep into his story that it would've been too fourth wall-breaking to talk about game mechanics. How does that all work?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

64bitrobot posted:

(Also married the bath girl and no longer have bath access). :suicide:

thread is now about who do you marry in harvest moon

I went for the bath-house chick in RF1, but went with Dorothy in RF2 because she was the only one who wasn't too ditzy, or just plain retarded (i.e., Mana).

In normal HM, I tend to go with Ellen/Ellie, I have a thing for chicks with brown hair in real life.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

SUPERFINE CONCUBINE posted:

I can't marry Chihiro because he looks like a little boy and his blushing face is creepy for some reason.

Isn't he also just playing doctor and not actually a real doctor?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Corridor posted:

That cake on her head just seals the deal. Why isn't she a marriage option? Is it because she looks 17 instead of 7 :(

no it's because her favorite items are easy to get your hands on so obviously that would be cheating

Seriously, some of the high-FP gift items in this game are loving ridiculous. Like, "you won't be making them ever" ridiculous.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Actually, talking about Egg Day and all that, you know what I miss from the old Harvest Moon games? Power Berries. I really wish they'd bring them back, it was so fun collecting them and figuring out where they were hidden.

Some of them were really obscure, and it always felt good to discover them. Grow a weird plant on the mountaintop in winter, make friends with the Harvest Sprites and trade marbles for one, fish off the pier... they were great. I like well-hidden rewards a lot more than I like scripted bug-catching or useless "character development" random events.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

endolithic posted:

Now I have a sick, retarded sheep. I don't know what the gently caress.

you hit it with the hammer one time too many

As far as the Bazaar goes, I've noticed one thing about spamming the bell: a lot of times, it interferes with the customer "decision" mechanic, so if you just keep spamming the bell with waiting customers, they'll just stand there like they don't even know, so just a heads-up for you guys that mashing B isn't always the best thing.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Revol posted:

Does anyone know the bazaar sell price of a half star Tomato? Wondering if I should turn all of mine into salads.

Pretty sure you should always cook poo poo on account of it gaining a half-star once it's prepared.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Did they VC HM64 or HMSNES? Those are always good bets, if not on the older side. Especially HM64 in regards to Animal Crossing, I always get a hankering to play it when I fire up AC.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Vib Rib posted:

Only 2 more days until Rune Factory 3 comes out in the states, right?
That's a day one purchase for me, hot drat.

It features a protagonist who turns into a Wooly and a bachelorette named Tuna. I'm not really sure what to say about this game.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Vib Rib posted:

Either that or it's a very slow launch.

I don't think it's a high-profile-enough title to get its own thread, sorry.

Also thanks California, I walked four miles in freezing pre-winter weather to find that no, this Gamestop didn't actually order any copies of it.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Ah. Yes, of course they have Rune Factory 3 at the Gamestop across the freeway, three miles farther than one I walked to. I just needed to get someone who would drive me, because I'm not dumb enough to walk along a guddamn freeway.

It's a really relaxing game. Though the magically-respawning field elements is kind of unnerving.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
To the guy who posted earlier about having ridiculous hurricanes, I share in your pain.

Now that I've given up on growing crops, of course, it hasn't come around for like two loving weeks. Who thought that blowing away your entire loving field would be a good mechanic?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Oh, Japan, always justifying your underage-looking characters. Collette, I don't care how many times you tell me you're older than Marian, you still look and act like a child

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

SUPERFINE CONCUBINE posted:

Thank you!

Another question: Once you've stacked items, is it possible to disassemble the stack? I often pick up a bunch of stuff then realise that I should have left one aside for something.

Doubleclick the stack in your inventory to separate a single item from it.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

yellowcar posted:

I also pulled a "think-fast" moment on Carmen when I returned her knife by throwing it at her for one of her bulletin requests. :v:

I like to throw rocks at that old douchebag who runs the flower shop.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Saoshyant posted:

It sounds pretty good too, but if RF3 is any indication the people in the old world aren't going to get this one either, with the addition that this time the 3DS is freaking region-locked.

Well then if you haven't got one yet, just get a US-region 3DS when the time comes to buy it. What are you missing out on, seriously? I mean unless, I dunno, you like Real Canasta Bridge Combo DS.

Oh Tingle's Magical Rupeeland too I guess. Not to belittle the EU-exclusive library, but really now.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Wandering Knitter posted:

And for people looking for recommendations, I suggest hunting down Shepherd's Crossing 2 for the DS if you want to hate yourself and the concept of farming games for awhile :shepicide:

What does this mean? Is it John Deere DS-bad, or Harvest Moon 64-addicting?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Strenuous Manflurry posted:

Which, essentially, is the number of in-game days worth playing after getting married in any Harvest Moon.

That's another reason why I prefer 64 and SNES: the end of the game isn't when you get married, because you have a ton of things hanging over your head. You still have three-quarters of a farm to build and half the villagers to befriend, and your deadline to getting it done is fast approaching.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Whizbang posted:

In Harvest Moon 64 they'll do chores around the farm like feeding the chickens or collecting eggs, but they drop some of the eggs once in a while.

Karen and Ann drop the eggs, I think. Ellie doesn't, but it's a pain in the rear end when she decides to harvest them during any "hey mister do you have any eggs you could sell me?" event. I honestly forget what Maria does, but instead of harvesting eggs, Popuri will water random squares in your fields (but not your greenhouse).

Sometimes they'll feed the chickens instead, which is awesome because it saves you chicken feed.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

WDIIA posted:

Really just remake HM64 and just expand everything that was already there. There. Perfect game.

HM643DS? Yes please. I don't even need new content or any stereoscopic poo poo. Just please, please, please give me back my unfairly-obscure power berries. I'm so sick of this Wonderfuls bullshit.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Grapplejack posted:

You mean back to nature: 3ds. :colbert:

Hey now, don't be greedy, you guys already have a perfectly good GBA remake and a PSP port :colbert::colbert::colbert:

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

U.T. Raptor posted:

They did that. Three times, I believe, five if you count the girl versions of BtN and FoMT as seperate games.

I don't consider Back to Nature an expansion on HM64. They took place in two completely different towns, and HM64 followed the format of "crazy hidden poo poo" and "ultimate farming goal"; to me, BtN was more "crazy spergin poo poo" and "the ultimate goal is to get hitched." You never had fun and weird events in BtN, just ridiculously in-depth mechanics such as material type and 256-floor dungeons. Everything in HM64 revolved around befriending the townsfolk and seeing how your interactions with them grew the town around you, but BtN always seemed to me that it was, because the only "endgame" goal was to get married, just about finding the necessary funds and materials to improve your character and nothing else.

The Cliff (and Karen) event in HM64 was based on how friendly you were with him; BtN's version of it was all about being in a very specific place at a very certain time and the flag for the event was honestly very unreliable. The former was time management and uncovering the game's very hidden yet very reasonable secrets within that time limit; the latter was about obscure poo poo that was literally impossible to do, such as guessing a correct number 100 times in a row.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Zenzirouj posted:

Oh yeah, what's the deal with those magic seeds, anyway? I just remembered I have the one you get at the beginning sitting around. Does it only last a day or do you get the seed back or what?

It becomes a partner and you carry it around and poo poo. If it dies, it reverts into a gray seed and you have to... do something to revive it. I never actually figured out what it was, I would just buy a new one since the only one you actually ever need is the water leaf.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Corridor posted:

Huh, really? I never even noticed this. I brushed and fed and sheared them every day, and their friendship rose as normal.

It might be a seasonal thing. Winter and Fall could have shearing penalties.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Julet Esqu posted:

草泥馬

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Does Tale of the Twin Towns have that animal lifespan poo poo? That really sucked once they added it, and if it's there, I'm gonna pass completely on this.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Dr Pepper posted:

HM64 was, on the whole, a lot more mature then later Harvest Moon games, I think.

I don't think mature is the right word for it. It's just that its stories were largely grounded in reality rather than excessive farm fantasy or stereotypes. That, and even though the translation was kind of weird (not stilted--I actually rather liked it, and the script flows like real people talking, the mayor excepted) but definitely had a very fun zen platitude kinda thing going on.

All the games do these days is throw screaming anime in your face, and I fuckin' hate that.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Bleusilences posted:

edit: I was actually thinking about harvest moon end games, and when you get the greenhouse in HM64, you pretty much won the game.

If you could clear the part where you get all the girls to Yellow hearts before their photo event and a non-Karen girl to a Pink heart before your birthday, and then had the mental fortitude to replay half a week to get Karen's photo and then the half a week you had to replay to get the coin in the cake, then you have won the game.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Lareine posted:

You actually haven't won the game until you get the party picture. You get the party picture if you never ever gently caress up and become a super rancher extraordinaire.

Actually, it's kind of easy to get it as long as you have some money. The hardest part is befriending something like 20+ villagers and getting all the girls to pink hearts. Unless I'm forgetting something, the parameters are like 4000+ total friendship points with the villagers, 1000+ love points with the girls, wife with happiness above 250, dog with happiness above 250, child with happiness above 250, like one animal with happiness about 250, 80% grass in the fields, and all the house extensions (maybe even barring the greenhouse).

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Oh man, I am now officially pumped for Rune Factory 4. My buddy linked me this article that basically says that you live with a big gay dragon whose name sounds like "sells the weed." It's like their market analysis group asked themselves, "what kind of premise would The White Dragon of the Something Awful Forums think would be the most awesome premise ever?"

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Bo Steed posted:

and most of the time when courting someone I'd just end up pelting them with flowers and assorted baked goods and then running away. :saddowns: Kinda like my real life relationships...
take that poo poo to e/n bitch :smug:

Looper posted:

The floor of my greenhouse in 64 is soaked in the blood of a thousand eggplants. :negative:
I could never accept this. To get HM64 absolutely positively 100% right, you need to ship 10,000 (okay, at least 9,999) items. You need that Greenhouse some time before the end of Year 1 to make it.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Shirec posted:

I wouldn't mind revisiting the characters, with fresh dialogue and new scenes, etc.
I wouldn't mind new scenes and new stuff to unearth, but please, keep the weird original script with some syntax fixes and that's it. Pretty much that entire game was translated so awkwardly that it looped around to being an amazing localization. Not only did the interactions make sense and feel real, but pretty much every line in it has a very zen platitude quality to it.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Wandering Knitter posted:

As much as I'd love to give it a shot I don't think I can make roast cavy in NJ. :v:

Do I smell a pet store run? Because I think I smell a pet store run!

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

PokeJoe posted:

They all seemed to have dove deeply into anime territory and it really makes me want to play them less. I never played any of the wii ones, are they ~uguu infused too?

Amen to that. Sadly, you bet your rear end they are. Gone are the days of zen platitudes and humanish, if two-dimensional, characters due to cart constraints.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

I Watson posted:

While there was still some questionalble poo poo in the pre-order bonuses, there was less of such than the bonuses for Tides.

Seriously? I don't see why they couldn't just make some cute dolls of a Wooly and like that something-something-Weed Dragon that you're supposed to live with in RF4 and call it a day, but nooooooooo, they have to make like sex pillows and poo poo.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Nettle Soup posted:

Didn't see this mentioned here at all:

Stardew Valley a HM SNES clone for the PC! With added stuff. It should be interesting! You can do so much on the PC, no cart limitations and easy patches and moddability.

Man, Stardew is improving piece by piece, but there are a number of things I'm not really down with at this time. Harvest Moon-alikes just don't need buses or nighttime LoS, and I'm stickin' to my guns that those sprites don't even look homegrown, they look like they were literally ripped out of like three SNES games that don't match and then modified a bit to dodge copyright.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Nettle Soup posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDYmc2iGaOM

They're getting changed up as the game evolved, the snes-style grass and trees are gone now at least. My problem with it is I really don't like the main character sprite. I think it's too tall and stiff...

Tch, I actually kinda liked the SNES grass and trees. This new stuff is kind of jarring. I've never been a fan of that Flash-esque shakey effect (or the equally Flashsome "little bits of flying brown tree blood"). It just looks overly unnatural, especially in a spritey 2D game like this one. The FF games worked with that "smooth attack animation" thing because the arms only appeared for a split second.

The original Harvest Moon guy had like four frames of animation for swinging his axe; that really isn't a lot of work, especially on a sprite of that size. I agree with Wandering Knitter: they gotta hire a professional instead of doing this Flash poo poo.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

bomblol posted:

What the gently caress does any of this have to do with Flash? You think particle effects are 'Flash poo poo'?
Okay, particle effects then. I think particle effects are garbage and have always looked no-effort, and you see 'em a lot in Flash games.

Saoshyant posted:

What and how did that happen? Flash memory shouldn't die like that.
Corrupted save would be my guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Miijhal posted:

Welp, if anyone's shipment mysteriously disappeared, I may have gotten it. For some reason they sent me three copies of it even though I only ordered and payed for one.

And holy poo poo that yak plushie is soft. Reminds me of my chinchilla.

poo poo, man, if they're US region, are you sellin'? I've been considering getting it, PM me.

• Locked thread