Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vakal
May 11, 2008

Ka0 posted:

You oughta give the Rune Factory games another go, specially 2 which changes quite a few things.

Out of all the RF titles, I enjoyed Frontier on the Wii the most. It fixed most of the annoying aspects of the first RF on the DS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Lobster Fancy posted:

I remember being completely baffled by the Runey system in Frontier. I could be wrong, but I don't remember it being explained properly anywhere in-game and the information I had to get about it came from internet forums.

Yeah, the runey system was the least enjoyable addition in Frontier. Although as long as you didn't mess around with it, the system was setup to be more of less self-sufficient so you didn't get bonus or a penalty to your crops.

It was kind of fun though to max out every area and have the most expensive crops grow in 1-2 days. And even the flowers that would take 100+ days to bloom, would be done in a couple of weeks.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Ka0 posted:

Always marry the hot harlot on my first playthrough, then marry the sweet girl next door type with cheap gift requirements on my second.

I could never bring myself to marry Mist in the two RF games. It always felt you were trying to get with a high-functioning retarded girl.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Whizbang posted:

That's a fire hazard. You need to keep the forge in your giant tree home up to code.

Each game of Harvest Moon should start out with a 47-hour tutorial that consists of filling out loan applications, insurance forms, land permits, and equipment leasing agreements.

Then you spend the next 20 years only growing corn since it has the highest subsidy amount.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
I liked RF3, but it basically felt like it had training-wheels on during the entire game compared to RF:Frontier which didn't give you any breaks at all.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
One of the main problem with Rune Factory 1 was how it seemed to go out of its way to make farming as annoying and pointless as possible.

You could make more in few days of mining minerals by the second or third dungeon than you could selling crops for the entire year.

And that's assuming that your crows even grew at all since storms flattened them almost constantly in summer.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
The runey system wouldn't even have been that bad it if only the collection animation would have been faster.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Benjamin Black posted:

I get the feeling I'm missing something with the equipment system. Leather Belt costs more than Secret shoes, but only gives +4 defense and +1 magic defense. Secret Shoes gives +20 defense. What am I missing that makes leather belt better?

Probably the leather belts are used in more crafting recipes.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Zenzirouj posted:

edit: yeah, looks like it was just something weird with the FP progression, according to http://rf3.wikia.com/wiki/Monsters#Wooly. Time to do some race traitoring

quote:

If you try to cut its fur in Winter, it pleads you not to with its big, round eyes...

Editor's note: There are no consequences of cutting the Wooly's fur in Winter.

For some reason, that really made me laugh.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Morpheus posted:

Dangit I want to raise my 3D Alpacas. And bees. So many bees.

:ohdear: "Please sir, stop breeding bees! You've already crashed the local honey market due to rampant over supply. What are you trying to accomplish?"

:geno: "More bees. The hive must grow."

Vakal
May 11, 2008
One thing I really liked about RFF was how the wedding scene was handled, and how each bride received a custom sprite in her wedding dress. It made it seem more significant than just the regular "Welp, now we're married I guess." fare of most HM games.

Also, the voice acting of the main character when your first child is born was quite touching.

Vakal fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Oct 8, 2011

Vakal
May 11, 2008
Just started playing Tides and so far the biggest improvement I've seen is the loading time between screen. I don't know how I stood in in Frontier.

Also, is Mikoto a guy or a girl? I really don't know.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Eigo posted:

A girl

So I'm guessing there is a reason Sonja calls her a 'he' then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vakal
May 11, 2008
So I played Tides on my Wii a bit before deciding to try it on Dolphin.

I played through the entire opening again only to have the emulator freeze literally 10 seconds before I reached the dairy to save the game. :suicide:

Is there anyway to copy save games from the Wii and have Dolphin recognize it?

• Locked thread