Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Catalina
May 20, 2008

For those of you in this thread who are twits, you might want to know that Natsume Inc is planningto giving away E3 Alpaca plushies to random followers on Twitter.

http://twitter.com/#!/Natsume_Inc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Dr Pepper posted:

I... I never saw that scene. I never saw that character

I think I need to replay that game.

Funnily enough, that's exactly what I'm thinking right now.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Oooh, fellow crafting game nerd here. If you haven't heard of them, the Atelier series games are JRPG's where crafting is one of the major focuses of the game (the others being time management and character development). Atelier Rorona and Atelier Totori for PS3 *very* good games despiting having some creepy otaku pandering in parts. I've also played a bit of Atelier Annie for DS and Mana Khemia for PSP, which are also fun, and thankfully don't seem to have the creepy otaku pandering.

I love crafting in games so much. I nearly flipped my poo poo when I saw the skills menu in Rune Factory 1 for the first time...

Catalina
May 20, 2008

nonnemaus posted:

I feel vaguely dirty for picking up my old cart of MFoMT and then going back to ToTT the next day. I'm so sorry I just wanted something easy to play to relax after work :(

ToTT is great for that, though! My sister keeps stealing my DS and copy of ToTT to play when she's in bed about to go to sleep.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Revener posted:

Does anyone have access to a great beginners guide for Rune Factory? My girlfriend recently got into this but she has a lot of questions and trying to find the answers piecemeal online is getting pretty obnoxious.

The one at http://www.fogu.com/hm/rune_factory/ maybe? It has a really good beginners section at http://www.fogu.com/hm/rune_factory/basics/index.php

Catalina
May 20, 2008

naptalan posted:

Stuff about Shepherd's Crossing 2

:aaa:

Wow, I had NO IDEA the game was like that. I just saw the anime people on the box and figured it was like an an off-brand Harvest Moon. After your description, I really want to play. Hello, Amazon wishlist!

Wandering Knitter posted:

Honestly I was thinking of some Let's Play/Let's Cook hybrid since (as naptalan pointed out) a lot of the conversations in the game revolve around food. Maybe I'll cook some of the easier recipes and find information/videos on the ones I won't be able to do. As much as I'd love to give it a shot I don't think I can make roast cavy in NJ. :v:

I would follow this from day 1.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

^^^^ That's good to know. I've only actually played Rune Factory 1 so far. I got into it late!

Zettace posted:

I always hate watching the Japanese trailers for Rune Factory. It makes me so sad that the good list of voice actors will be replaced by crappy dubbing. I know it's only a few lines at most but still.

I feel the same way, too. :(

I've listened to Japanese VA's in games (and anime when I still watched it) so much that I've actually gotten fond of some of them, even though I don't really understand much of what they're saying. Listening to the trailer had a lot of, "hey, it's That Guy!" moments.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

I Watson posted:

While there was still some questionalble poo poo in the pre-order bonuses

"Huh, that just looks like a soundtrack CD and some promotional art, I wonder wh--
:stonk:

I'm too scared to click the second link to see how it was worse.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Your Dead Gay Son posted:

Which one of these still has festivals? It looks like a lot of the newer ones don't, so I don't want to make a poor choice.

I don't have a wii, but I still have a gamecube. I have a 3ds. Should I just get Grand Bazaar and call it good? What about Magical Melody and A Wonderful Life?

Why'd you have to make so many drat games Natsume?

Grand Bazaar (DS) has festivals. Tale of Two towns (DS & 3DS) has different festivals based on which town you are currently living in (The animal town has animal-related festivals and more Western-style festivals, and the crop town has crop-related festivals and more Eastern-style festivals.)

I'm pretty sure A Wonderful Life doesn't have any festivals, and Magical Melody does have them.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

The FAQ on their preorder is here: https://www.facebook.com/notes/natsume-inc/harvest-moon-a-new-beginning-pre-order-faq/465902393430278 and I'm reading the comments to see if a preorder from Natsume contains both the yak and large 12" cow plush.

If push comes to shove, I'll order the version with the cow plush from the Natsume website.

BUT, if the Yak plush doesn't come with the Natsume order well, I'll probably find someone who doesn't want their plush, and offer a $15 Amazon GC in exchange.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Natsume posted a picture on their Facebook page where you can see how large the new plushies are comparatively.

:swoon:

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Annexed posted:

So I guess RF3 I hard to find.

Amazon is out of stock. Checking the bestbuy website doesn't show them as stocking it.

Checked GameStop and it doesn't look like they have any new copies and all of the used ones may or may not be at the stores I would have to call them to see.

So drat what do I have to do o get a copy of this thing? I can't think of any stores that would have it.

Personally, I've found that prices of Harvest Moon and Rune Factory games tend to fluctuate as they go in and out of stock. If you don't want to pay the current prices, I would recommend waiting up to a few months to see if the price evens out.

Also, I've never used it, but I've heard that Gamestop has a service where you can ask them in store to try and find what nearby (within a few states) stores have used copies in stock, which they will then ship to your store so that you can buy at their price. (Be sure to ask about the manual and the case, if that matters to you; they often are not included)

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Rock Epidemic posted:

In addition, did anyone else with a Anniversary Edition pre-order just get a note about it being available tomorrow?

I have the Anniversary Edition on preorder, and I just received that email, too. Additionally, this was posted on their Facebook:

"We were going to reveal an AWESOME secret tomorrow, but our automated shipping system kind of ruined the surprise... :("

ETA: Additionally, this is in my Natsume order details page: "This order will be shipped after the release date of 10/23/2012"

Catalina fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Oct 18, 2012

Catalina
May 20, 2008

If I buy a digital copy of Trio of Towns, will I be able to make backups of my saves (preferably on the console, but copying from my PC to the SD card would work) and still use multiplayer? I'd like to be able to keep more than 2 save files.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Dehry posted:

I think they anticipate that now and block it.

You have a choice of Powersaves 3DS and a physical cartridge, or :filez: at which point you can just pirate the game.

Thanks! I'll probably go with a Powersave, then. I'm not trying to cheat, I swear, XSeed! I just want more anime husbands.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

dmboogie posted:

How's the amount of dialogue/the characters in the new SoS? I feel like the Rune Factory games really spoiled me for what to expect in characterization; I liked A New Beginning a lot but the characters having like four daily lines to say really killed my momentum. I'm not expecting RF levels of "it takes like an entire year for dialogue to repeat", but how is it otherwise?

Huge. I'll see if I can find the numbers for the main game, but just the DLC itself (which will be released in English in the future) is,
"over 200,000 Japanese characters, making it as large as some games we’ve released. The first Corpse Party, for example, has about 210,000 characters."

http://xseedgames.tumblr.com/post/156774860925/about-dlc-for-story-of-seasons-trio-of-towns

Edit: Found it:
"With approximately 2 million characters of Japanese text to be localized, Trio of Towns is the largest Story of Seasons to date, surpassing the previous title in the series which had about 1.7 million characters.
http://www.siliconera.com/2016/12/11/story-seasons-trio-towns-text-game-series/

I can't easily find out how much dialogue RF4 had, I'll post it if I do.

Catalina fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Mar 4, 2017

Catalina
May 20, 2008

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Haven't played a HM game since RF4. Worth jumping back on (even if there's no combat) or should I just wait for them to continue getting better two steps forward and one back at a time?

Personally, I was wowed by by Rune Factory 4, and found Harvest Moon A New Beginning and Story of Seasons 1 to be ok, but kind of off, and I'm loving Trio of Towns. I recommend it!

The strong points to me are 1) lots of things to to that unlock quickly, but not too quickly, 2) Stronger, more interesting characters (though not as great as Rune Factory 4, but still good. If RF4 was an A+, I'd give Trio of Towns a B+), 3) Lots of freedom of what to do, but clearly defined small goals to help you advance the story, 4) Better visuals, with a lot of variety in character designs and environmental designs, coming from good design direction over 3 different kinds of environmental areas.
I'd say that it's a Rune Factory 4 quality with a major focus on giving depth to the farming aspects.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Aerofallosov posted:

I'm enjoying Trio a lot. I keep meaning to figure out what high points to hit on my Skytree post. The DLC marriage candidates are great, but SoS has stolen me away.

I look forward to your Skytree post! I've followed SoS because I know what I like, and I've liked it since 1997, but I am really curious in how Natsume's doing with their own IP.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

54 40 or gently caress posted:

Ohhhh noooo I want like four dogs.

Also, is there a way to get lumber faster than waiting for trees to grow or buying it?

You can have up to 12 pets; you just have to put down one pet house per pet.

http://fogu.com/sos2/your-farm/pets.html

Catalina
May 20, 2008

By the way, if you upgrade your hammer but still want to mine for black rocks, you can buy a second hammer from one of the general stores and keep it alongside your upgraded one.

Do the wild animals and stray dogs and cats do anything?

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Important PSA about the Cooking Festival: Make sure you bring both the ingredients for your dish AND the recipe. If you have to forfeit because you didn't have the recipe, the judge will get to you, comment on you not having a dish, and proceed to publicly humiliate you in front of all your friends and family.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

I just assumed they wouldn't have put the dialogue in, and let you forfeit with watching a "regular" cooking contest, but nope.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Fru Fru posted:

Why are these weirdos bringing mayo to the drink contest? Gross

Wayne, herb cheese does NOT go in black tea and you are NOT allowed on my team.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Fru Fru posted:

So now that everyone's had this game for a while, I can ask the important question: Who are you gonna marry???

For me Ludus is the clear frontrunner, but there is a certain appeal to marrying a literal god.

I'm planning to play a boy farmer game and a girl farmer game to do each of the character's pre-boyfriend/girlfriend heart events and then choose. (I'll probably make an Action Replay save so I can go back in time and see Stephanie and Woofio when that DLC is released.) Right now it's just too hard to pick one.
For now, Ludas in the lead for the guys, and Komari is in the lead for the girls. I don't know how long I'll be able to keep it up, though...thinking about my family from Animal Parade, and how everyone would have holidays together is making me kind of nostalgic.

Now, some important bits of important information: You will have a wedding in the style of the town whomever you marry is from. If you're going steady with someone, you'll celebrate your birthday with them if you go into your house between 19:00 and 24:00.

You can also get a birthday party in town if you are rank C or higher and walk into the town restaurant between 13:00 and 17:00. The first year is Westown, the second is Tsuyukusa, the third is Lulukoko, then it goes back and repeats.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Personally, I think all 11 marriage options in the game are great. :j: I found the male ones to be really boring in Story of Seasons 1, so I'm glad they're all more interesting this time around. Though, um, I'm not so sure about how the storyline with Woofio will be when it gets released...

Catalina
May 20, 2008

eggrolled posted:

I was actually surprised, but Fogu actually has a summary of the whole Woofio thing. I didn't want to spoil any of the regular candidates' events (want to experience those through gameplay), so I went ahead and read his event summary and it's weird--but less weird than I would have expected?

Apparently as a little kid he got some ancient curse put on him that essentially resulted in him being an empty mascot suit. Story happens and the power of love/friendship results in his human body reappearing in the suit. Since he's been a dog suit for as long as he can remember, he doesn't stop wearing it. And that's how you marry a dog suit that becomes a dude who never takes his dog suit off I guess?

That is more insane and interesting than I expected it to be.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Man, why does Woofio have to be the DLC bachelor when Moriya is right there in Tsuyukusa? I don't care if he would make me sign a prenup and keep separate bank accounts, he is still very attractive.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Corridor posted:

i thought i was being trolled when someone said woofio was the dlc bachelor. i can't imagine any femC players were actually pleased by the announcement except like, literal furries. whether ur an adult creeping on the bachelor hotties, or a literal child just playin the game, that poo poo is just weird.

i mean, it's really *funny*, but...

I believed it immediately, because I remember More Friends of Mineral Town, and which bachelors they decided to add instead of making new ones. :negative:

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Corridor posted:

or in harvest moon DS cute, where they let you marry the gross middle aged guys like the alcoholic bartender, and the archeologist who looks like my grandpa. the mad scientist and the huge black artist guy would have been better, even.

at least the japanese version let you lesbian-marry the three special girls, witch princess, mermaid, and sleeping beauty down in the mines. but in the US version they cut that out and added in a new boy to marry... who is extremely gay and wears leopardprint and whose favourite things are jewellery and hand lotion.

I still want to lesbian-marry a mermaid. I was so close. :(

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Just another reason HM64 Ann was superior.

Harvest Moon 64 had more depth of character, IMO. The characters had deeper flaws or more serious life circumstances. When it transitioned over to Mineral Town on the PS1, the characters got more smoothed out and shallow. I've always been mildly bummed that the series has gone in the direction of having characters like from PS1 rather than N64: likeable, but more boring.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

I just checked to see if there was a hack to restore the gay marriage option in English DS Cute yet, and while I haven't found that yet, I did find these ROM patches for same-sex marriage options in these three games!

GBA: Friends of Mineral Town
DS: Sunshine Islands (Apparently this is based off a swap of the main characters, so you can date your doppelganger self lol)
Gamecube: Magical Melody (Holy poo poo, I forgot that game existed.)

I'll update if I find more.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

World Famous W posted:

Karen, change out of that night gown, this is a wedding for heaven's sakes!

That was the last true HM I played and I loved it. Do any of the other later ones have where I can become a land Baron as well?

Harvest Moon: A New Beginning for 3DS is based around a game of where you place and customize buildings and decorations to build up a town, along with your farm.

I haven't played either of the Natsume-developed Harvest Moon games, The Lost Valley, and Skytree Village, but I seem to remember previews saying they were going in a more Minecraft direction, with more player customization. Fogu describes Skytree Village as, "It has many of the same features as Lost Valley such as building graphics, animals, crops, area layout (you grow things in the "valley" while the town is in another area), and controlling the land by raising or lowering areas."

Catalina
May 20, 2008

A Spider Covets posted:

They're awful, can confirm.

Yeeeeah. Thanks for confirming. From the beginning, I've had a low impression: I was pretty annoyed with the whole "shadily using copyright to slap the brand name on a amateur-developed property" thing, and when I looked at the previews and style and decided it didn't look that great. The Amazon reviews are pretty low too...and lol that if you put The Lost Valley through fakespot.com you get a grade of F for the number of fake positive reviews.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

drat it, I had planned to do all 5 bachelors' heart events, but I kept inadvertently triggering Ludus's events, and now we're going steady.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Fru Fru posted:

You could have said no. If you change your mind later, you can still pick him. Also don't carry the pendant around in your bag. It is super easy to get reverse events in this game, like without even trying.

Oh, I knew that. It's just, he was my favorite and the 3rd heart event was so sweet. I didn't have the willpower not to go out with him after that.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

This game even has unique dialogue when I gift wrap an offering and throw it in the spring. It owns.

Corridor posted:

drat, i wanna play this! get released for PAL already! stupidass region locks!

Ugh, that sucks. I think happy thoughts towards a PAL release in case that'll help it happen sooner. Maybe even pray to the harvest goddess.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Corridor posted:

thank u, NTSC friend

Hahahaha. No, I'm USA, I've just always felt bad for my NTSC friends, ever since the SNES days.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Strange Quark posted:

NTSC is America, as opposed to PAL for Europe.

*face in hands* Oh yeah...that's right...

Catalina
May 20, 2008

A Spider Covets posted:

I don't know what homebrew is, but if you want to backup your saves and swap them out whenever, Powersaves Pro lets you do that and is pretty cheap. You should be able to find one on Amazon. It's really nice to have on hand if you're a chronic game restarter like me.

That's what I'm using right now, at the suggestion of this thread. We have 3 save games going at our house, and writing and rewriting has been flawless. It only cost me about $20.

ETA: I've never used homebrew myself, but the SA thread is here:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3759546

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Tired Moritz posted:

someone told me the first (second?) SoS in my local store was in sale. Is it still worth playing?

Importantly, how important is the wifi trading system? It would suck if I need to use it to play the game in a good pace. :(

Yes, absolutely. It is very strong gameplay wise with lots to do. Trio of Towns has the same good base mechanics but with a bigger emphasis on social events.

• Locked thread