Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The game never tells you that you can go outside, just "Hi, grandma died, here's how to sell things, go..." and you find out about restocking when a random guy comes in and sells you crap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I think Harvest Minecraft might just be what was needed to make the game more interesting to me.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
http://www.joystiq.com/2014/06/13/same-sex-marriage-in-harvest-moon-we-know-what-the-fans-are-lo/

There's your answer. It looks to me like they're open to it, but the company President's word stands.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
http://ceecee-natsume.tumblr.com/post/92084675157/which-of-these-villagers-can-you-marry-do-you-think

According to this post, they're going to start releasing the bachelors and bachelorettes for the new Harvest Moon starting tomorrow.

E: I thought it was characters, but turns out they've been showing off the villagers.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Honestly, I'm interested in the new Harvest Moon game because of the Minecraft like functions. It also helps the MSRP is :10bux: less than a regular 3DS release.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I think it looks pretty neat. I couldn't get into A New Beginning and I doubt Story of Seasons would be any different. I'll give it a chance.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

No-one knows and we probably won't know until sometime after release.

Is Natsume even sending out review codes? Someone must have played it by now, surely.

Their Tumblr page indicates they are shipping out the limited edition now, so my guess is at least someone who is a series fan will have it before the weekend.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Any buzz on possible Lost Valley reviews tomorrow or are we waiting till launch?

All I have seen is one picture of it out in a Target store and one guy on twitter saying he's going to get his in the mail today. Nothing official though.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Harvest Moon : The Lost Valley is 635 blocks according to their Twitter account. You're not getting a lot of content. ANB is 2,739 blocks, a tale of two towns was 1,931 blocks.
Hometown Story is 4,188 (since that was their last original game attempt.)

Worst case scenario, we're buying a $30 plush dog and getting a free game.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
So far, my guy got stuck in a snowstorm (using the normal walking animation with a "sick" face emotion) and a little green fairy directed him to a house. After sleeping for the night I saw a vision of the harvest fairy. She wants her bracelet back. I woke up and then picked up a watering can, hoe, and shovel that was left in the room. Someone then yelled and said they needed help removing snow from outside.

Unfortunately at that point I had to start my work day so I'll pick it up at lunch.

E: There was also no pre-rendered opening cutscene.

E2: Preorder Dog is just as tall as the 3DS box for the game. There is a manual, but it's just a fold out quick start guide.

Dehry fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Nov 4, 2014

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Disclaimer: I only played two seasons in ANB as previous Harvest Moon experience.

I finally cleared the initial tutorial about how to move around and plant crops. The system in the game is pretty easy to get the hang of. The y button switches to a build mode of sorts (tilling, digging, filling, probably other structures later) but all the other functions like watering, chopping trees, and planting seeds are auto prompts as long as the tool is in the inventory. Items generated from chopping trees go straight into inventory, and I assume other things will as well. The date/time system and hearts are kept so that looks the same as previous titles.

The game world is truly 3D and the camera rotates with L and R. Precision aiming is handled with the D-Pad which allows for selecting a certain square around the player character (aiming with the circle pad is possible but tends to go two blocks over instead of one, or I just suck at using it.) The character can also jump up or down from ledges around 3 squares high so there aren't really any forced paths.

As far as exploration goes, right now I am stuck in a tutorial mode and can't get beyond a small riverbank (pending a bridge tutorial.) I had a vision of the traveling salesman so that could be coming soon, but I'm not starting in the middle of a town with a large area to explore. Currently I just have a mission to grow things and raise animals to re-awaken the god of X.

The Minecraft comparisons are largely overblown, you can only stack a block above or fill below your current level (as long as you have soil) and it's quite handy because you can grow plants wherever. Just pick a spot, place dirt, and plant seeds.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, no character customization. I've only been in for two in game days, but it unlocked all the basic farming equipment. Also, there aren't just things lying around like in ANB, but once again I only have a small play area until the game decides to let me build a bridge.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Flynn Taggart posted:

So I hear that there is no villiage in this game. The townspeople just hang out at your house for certain times in the day. How are they supposed to flesh out the world this way? A huge part of the charm of the series has been observing and participating in the routines of your neighbors.

There is a mountain path to the left of the house, but since I'm in tutorial mode it will only let me...

*checks pre-release images again*

Wow. Every single event seems to be at the fairy goddess spring or the player's home.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I tried to circumvent the game's preventing me from building a bridge by digging to water level on the edge of the river. The game then put up a wooden fence around the area I dug out to keep water from pouring in.

Also, the game is pretty much implying you're on top of a mountain far away from town. Hopefully the path will be used for something.

E: I'm getting introduced to people by dreaming about them, and then meeting them in game. They all just say "Yeah, I'll be here Mondays from 8am to 6pm" and roam around.

Dehry fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Nov 5, 2014

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I did figure out a way to cross the river. Right at the harvest goddess's spring it's only a tile wide steam that can be jumped over. I'm now digging a stairway down from there to the other side of the river.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, the game is pretty fun as a farming game. I'm currently building a broccoli empire in the snow. It's now day 10 in game. I've met the first bachelorette April, her mother (who sells flower seeds,) a girl who ran away from home, and a general shop guy. They all just hang around your house or roam the valley. I'm not complaining.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
They have DLC planned for after whatever happens in the game, so there may yet be a visit to town in store. I mean, they sit there and tease you with a down path on the mountain.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Shnooks posted:

Wait, what makes The Lost Valley significantly different from the other games?

Natsume was localizing Story of Seasons as Harvest Moon until the Japanese developer bought Xseed. Natsume owned the Harvest Moon name and made its own game under the Harvest Moon title. It's not a bad first game either. Xseed doesn't even have a problem with it and they publicly congratulated Natsume on the new game, and likewise Natsume's PR person said she can't wait for Story of Seasons.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The first Harvest Moon DLC will be out tomorrow.

Natsume posted:

Harvest Moon: The Lost Valley DLC
The first Harvest Moon: The Lost Valley downloadable content will be available tomorrow, January 27th. If you didn’t pick up our hints from previous posts, the first DLC pack will contain new outfits and an additional hairstyle. Fans have been asking for additional customization, and we’re pleased to present these new additions for FREE as a gift to our fans! Thank you everyone for supporting The Lost Valley and providing feedback on what you wanted to see more of in the game. Keep watching for our next DLC packs in the coming months.

I wonder if they're adding that DLC first because it's easy to do or if it was the most requested feature?

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

AngryRobotsInc posted:

Given A New Beginning was pretty much Harvest Moon: Fashion Show Edition in the clothes and hair options, I wouldn't be surprised if it'd been requested a lot.

I don't think I got any farther than early summer in that game before giving up on it. It looked like there were a lot of options still walled off.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Chump Farts posted:

How are the harvest moons on the eshop? I need a palette cleanser break from rf4, but there are a few options on the eshop. I think they have Lost Valley, ANB, Tale of Two Towns, and the GBC ones.

Lost Valley is the new Harvest Moon franchise with changed gameplay. It's closer to Minecraft farming, but all the HM elements are there. You're living in a mountain valley farming to restore the seasons. The townspeople arrive and just hang out in the valley on different days then ask for random things. Others sell items. There's still two DLC patches to come and add things, the first one added more costumes. I stuck with it longer than A New Beginning, but that's a different game altogether now.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Maybe look at Harvest Moon: The Lost Valley. The entire farming area can be molded as you see fit. It's not part of the Story of Seasons games, but it may scratch that itch.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
http://www.siliconera.com/2015/03/18/harvest-moon-beyond-whats-next-natsume/

Natsume is listening to customer feedback on The Lost Valley and specifically mentioned no tool upgrades and not having a town to visit being their most common complaints. It also seems the next DLC is going to be another small one before they put out a larger update.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I cut back the size of my farms in TLV and am enjoying it a lot more. I'm in the process of opening up fall, and this time I may actually get to see it before the season ends. Supposedly the next DLC will be larger in scale according to the interview they gave.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Father Wendigo posted:

Lost Valley is on clearance at Target, and I was curious as to the thread's thoughts on it. I recall someone describing one of the recent games as a branded minecraft clone, and wanted to avoid any potential disappointment.

Lost Valley dumps the town entirely and puts you in a mountain valley in eternal winter. The player is then tasked to restore the seasons (which usually involves growing seasonal crops.) There are some customization options in a minecraft-esque land management system and players can completely shape the land to whatever they want. Tool upgrades are earned through story progression so players can get an upgraded axe and hammer to break rocks and cut down hardwood trees. Farming is pretty standard stuff, although the farmer can only interact with one square at a time. They still have bachelors and bachelorettes. Most visit with their parents (who sell useful items) and give out quests. There's been two free DLC out so far that gives out more clothes and some structures, and the developers have been implying the next DLC will be more substantial.

I've been playing it on and off for a while now and am in the process of restoring fall. It felt like Harvest Moon to me in the farming sense, having only played through summer in A New Beginning before shelving it. The main problems I have is my farm is a little limited by the single square farming tools and watered patches take almost exactly 24 hours to dry up. Other than that it's a relaxing game.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

noirstronaut posted:

Can someone sell this game to someone who's never played an entry

It's a farming game that at some point you get a waifu.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Harvest Moon: The Lost Valley put out more DLC today. Looks like more plants and trees. It's free through May 19th then will cost $.99, so you might want to grab it if you own the game. They're teasing something involving marriage candidates for the next one.

Maybe by 2016 we'll get the needed tool upgrades. Although honestly, after mining opened up I've only been growing request items.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Sage Grimm posted:

What I want back in HM is some form of automation. Harvest Moon DS had the harvest sprites come and help water/harvest your vast fields of yams but subsequent releases either shackled their use or done away with them entirely. Sometimes I don't want to perform the same actions over and over again. Sometimes I want unpaid unskilled ~magical~ labour do the work for me. :colbert:

The Lost Valley has sprites, but I never really used them because the eternal winter allowed me to just keep expanding my fields to the point they weren't practical.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The Lost Valley's DLC is free through the 19th then one goes to $.99. They seem to be planning something for the next DLC pack http://ceecee-natsume.tumblr.com/post/118952778317/preparing-some-fun-surprises-for-our-fans-leading

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

That game being on mobile will quickly become a hit. New Harvest Moon isn't bad and it looks like they're going to fix the tools which was my only real complaint. Only being able to work one square at a time pretty much made me scale back my farm after the first seasonal die off (eternal winter was nice for a year.)

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Fast Track posted:

Harvest Moon: The Lost Valley is coming out in the UK on the 19th June. No preorder bonuses. How do people feel about the game now? I get the impression that it wasn't so great at first but the DLC since has ironed out some issues. Since the publisher has sales fairly often, would it be worth picking up when the price has fallen a bit?

I played through the main scenario, which also served as the tutorial. I only reached Summer in ANB before giving up, then bought TLV because the world shaping appealed to me. The farming gameplay was mostly the same, although the game's cursor limits all actions to one square at a time. It doesn't require swapping tools though, which makes up for the extra animation time. The villagers are just visiting the mountain and act as a shop or give requests. The story gets moved along by completing requests, but most take enough time you'll have moved on to the next month before completing them. After a while mining opens up, which is far more lucrative than farming. They're set points, but day to day generate more money than any crops. The game includes a bachelor/bachelorette system, but I've only accidentally triggered one event and then had two festivals. There's dialogue choices and stuff. The land forming is required because the land is torn up so you'll have to build stairs or dig a hole to reach important locations. What it doesn't have is the gifting and gathering systems, and you never leave the mountain but that doesn't really bother me. It means I won't go and sell everything I gathered only to find out I should have hoarded everything.

As of now my character's daily routine is: wake up, feed dog, buy/sell with the traveling shop keeper, water/harvest/plant crops, feed animals(which I haven't explored that system aside from the tutorial cow), mine, then talk with specialty vendors/villagers.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

It looks like Natsume accidentally tweeted out a portion of their Seeds of Memories backdrop. I guess there's pigs now?

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
http://ceecee-natsume.tumblr.com/post/121431701102/spread-the-news-the-fourth-harvest-moon-the

The new Lost Valley DLC will be out on the 16th. No word on if it's paid, free, or limited time free. Considering they're adding two characters it's probably going to cost money.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The new Candidates are indeed $1.50 each.

Here's the first art of the new game for PC/Mobile/WiiU

https://twitter.com/AngelsKimi/status/610895257362759681

It looks like they're keeping the same characters except you're finally getting off minecraft mountain. The social media account seems to indicate there will be a trailer after E3, so it will probably be like last time. Still images with very few trip reports on the new game.

E: Here's the first screenshot.

Dehry fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Jun 16, 2015

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I wish I knew. I've been just trying to dig through various "I'm at the Harvest Moon booth" posts followed by "IT'S NOT HARVEST MOON" responses to find shots.

E: It's also interesting to see just how much hate people have for Natsume. There's two people filling any searches I do for Natsume or Harvest Moon.

E2:

Another shot. Looks like a farm?

The Nintendo E3 press kit also has no info on either Story of Seasons or Harvest Moon

Dehry fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Jun 17, 2015

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
http://www.destructoid.com/harvest-moon-seeds-of-memories-is-barely-a-video-game-294322.phtml

The first review of the Harvest Moon demo. It kinda makes it sound like they rushed out a world map and called it a day.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
They only said "Winter 2015" and are on twitter saying the first trailer won't be until after E3.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Considering two of the target platforms are mobile devices, I'd doubt it. The Wii U's gamepad size is probably why they even have a version for the system.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
http://www.nintendojo.com/games/previews/e3-2015-hands-on-preview-harvest-moon-seeds-of-memories

So according to this, the Wii U/PC version is being developed by a different team and has button controls. That makes me a little more hopeful it won't be garbage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JlbtlrKlQRU

Here's some off screen video of the Harvest Moon tech demo. This is the mobile version, if it hasn't been made clear already.

• Locked thread