Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Saoshyant posted:

I was curious too and for a while was confused while reading the wiki entry for the Gamecube version, since while Celia is young, she's not THAT young. Then I caught a glimpse of a link to a Special Edition for the PS2, and suddenly ten year old Lumina becomes a marriage candidate. Whoopie-loving-do.

Yeah, in the Gamecube version she was one of the two people your kid could grow up to marry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Xenoith posted:

Quick question about RF3.. can you change the equipment your allies have? Do you gift it to them, or do they just gain new gear based on their level?

You gift it to them, one weapon and one accessory each and any new one overrides the old ones. I learned that when I accidently chucked a pin to Gaius as a gift and he started using it over the leather belt I gave him People also only use certain types of weapons so check what they have equipped and give them updated versions or they just take it as a generic gift.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

ThemeMusicC posted:

My main problem with Tides of Destiny is how incredibly separate the town seems to be from your adventures. No one cares what you're doing travelling across the ocean unless you're doing a quest for them. No one gets freaked out or concerned about the things that happen at the shrines in the game, or at least they haven't three shrines into the game for me.

In Rune Factory 3, your goal in the game directly involved the town, and they would talk to you about it. Even the bosses that you had to face along the way were mentioned by the townsfolk; they weren't just a mole with water wings on that came out of nowhere. Which is still awesome, but no one on Fenith Island cares that you had to fight one.

Its sort of the same thing with your oddity too. It was a really big deal you were a half-Wooly in Rune Factory 3. In ToD, during your introduction, you just sort of drop "I have a girl sharing my body" and "She can speak with a disembodied voice" and no one bats an eye.

The villagers in ToD are really loving weird.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Neo Rasa posted:

If I only have time to play ONE Rune Factory game and have every system, which Rune Factory game should I get? Mostly interested in the dungeon crawling being fun if that matters.

Rune Factory 4.

The latest one is always the best. And Rune Factory 4 has some great dungeon crawling.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Mountaineer posted:

Rune Factory 4 is a pretty great game, but stronghold building isn't one of the reasons why. You build up the town some buy creating new shops and festivals to attract tourists, but that's about it. Most of the development you do is focused more on expanding your farm and storage capacity.

And building your barns, throwing food at monsters till they love you and using them as Gladiators/Mounts/Farm labor.

:black101:

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Chump Farts posted:

Is there an easier way to get iron early than diving because my cow won't stop making GBS threads everywhere?

I'm just in spring but it bothers me that I can't fight the tidal wave of poo poo produced by this dumb cow who isn't named burger or steak.

You can buy it from the trader, 1000 per on normal and 700 in seedling.

Im in mid summer, just got my catte, loving the game. Flax is loving insane, I've already shipped 700k and Im just rolling in money. Its fantastic.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Patware posted:

Ohhhh Chriiiiiist I forgot to pack away 5 turnip seeds for the seed maker and I just got my fifth brick and I'm in summer my life is agony

Don't worry, there are a lot of opportunities to get turnip seeds in summer.

Fulfilling various requests for the traders can have them as a reward, jumping on the hidden areas and even just trading with other people.

I've gotten an extra 18 by Summer 22.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
Animals are also significantly impacted by their personalities. I have 4 Cows, 3 Sheep and 5 Chickens currently and their happiness bars are all over the place despite treating them the same.

Animals with the active personality absolutely love me. I got a cow on the same day Eda gave me Hanako with an active personality and that cow has maxed out happiness at Fall 1 while Hanako is around five hearts despite treating them the same. There are similar trends with the sheep and chickens. Cowardly animals on the other hand... :(

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Zoo06 posted:

I don't take them out of the barn and all the animals with active personalities have crap hearts for happiness. My first chicken has maybe 4 hearts and later chickens are nearly maxed out. Same with a couple of my sheep. I suppose the "active" ones like going outside more than the others...maybe cowardly prefer indoors or something? I have a cowardly cow and it loves the poo poo out of me. I have some level-headed ones that are (unsurprisingly) in between.

Related question: Do these animals have lifespans? Am I going to wake up one morning and find out Hanako went to that dairy barn in the sky?

Yeah, I take mine out every day. I guess I'll be mixing it up from now on (and not dealing with wrangling 10 animals in and out every day!)

Also farm animals in general live 5-6 years with sheep a bit less. Remember though that they can't die when pregnant and the babies start with half the affection the mothers did.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Meldonox posted:

Spring 1 is winding down and I'm sitting on some cash. Is it safe to invest in another cow or stock up on blueprints or should I wait for some as yet unknown future cost?

Also uh I accidentally spoiled a certain something that happens first year and know I have to prioritize that character's events. Are there any others I should go out of my way to build up ASAP?

Make sure to eat at the diner every day after you unlock basic recipes. Raeger will give you recipes based on how many times you've eaten there, and some of the requirements are pretty ridiculous.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
Man, I just got to fall and unlocked four vendors.

And now I'm overwhelmed and not sure how to keep track of how much poo poo I've sold to each one. At least my new rabbits are cute, but uh really pink.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

TurnipFritter posted:

That's sucks, she's easily better than any of these other fools.

Speaking of unlocking vendors: The Wheat Country dude said I need to ship stuff that's very pretty to unlock a new vendor, but I'm not entirely sure what he means. Flowers? Objects?

Well, for Tropical Country

Original mode = 100 tools, 500 seeds, 15,000 crops, 15,000 cooked recipes, 10,000 processed goods, and 600 clothes
Seedling mode = 70 tools, 350 seeds, 10,500 crops, 10,500 cooked recipes, 7,000 processed goods, and 420 clothes

Ice Country needs

Original mode = 100 fences, 200 decorations, 200 garden objects, 100 streets, 100 furniture, and 100 wallpaper/flooring
Seedling mode = 70 fences, 140 decorations, 140 garden objects, 70 streets, 70 furniture, and 70 wallpaper/flooring

better start making some clothes :shepicide:

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

senae posted:

Is there any reason to do that though? It seems like both sides are the same for dredging purposes.

Every river has 6 diving drops per day. 3 trigger on the right half, 3 on the left. For the one river separated by the bridge you have to swim under it if you want the full 6 drops.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
I like to imagine its Margot just dumping trash into the river every night with a bunch of whispered 'gently caress you nature'

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
You can also eat literally any dish and recover your health.

So pick up any of those billon Small Chars and make it into grilled fish. Eat it and suddenly you can go out in a typhoon with no penalty as long as you do so after the inital health drop.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Lord of Pie posted:

I haven't really gotten much into giving gifts to villagers yet, other than Eda. I usually throw something at people on their birthday and let the rest of the friend points come from contest wins. I pretty much did the same thing on ANB.

Realistically just by participating in festivals and talking to people every day you can max out everyone's affection in 7-10 seasons. Especially if you splurge on the summer fireworks, people fuckin love you if you do that.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Lord of Pie posted:

I talked to Lillie after one of the fashion festivals and she talked about how much she liked skirts, ending with "Skirts are for girls! And Marian I guess" Or something like that.

Yeah, Marion's a dude who likes to crossdress.

Interestingly both he and Giorgio have out of town boyfriends. I don't think they ever actually show up in the game though.

Stuff like that is why I'm sad they dropped stuff like the rival mechanic. Seeing other villagers pair up over time, or maybe even have kids, could have been neat. As it is you have weird stuff like your kids growing up while Lutz and Melanie are stuck in elementary school.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

noirstronaut posted:

I bought a Story of Seasons. What's the difference in difficulties?

On Seedling your tools take half as much stamina and item prices/shipping requirements are lowered by 30%.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Wandering Knitter posted:

Is there any reason to keep ancient fossils? I already sold one to help buy a sheep.

You need ten for a stupidly expensive flooring.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

AngryRobotsInc posted:

Elise seems harder to get with than either of the 'secret' options. I'm honestly unsure why they went that route. Usually it's the secret characters that are a bitch to get with.

I don't think there are even 'secret' options in the game, at least none in the vein of the Harvest God/dess/Witch/Wizard of previous games.

I mean, there are 4 villagers who show up later but they aren't really hidden.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

AngryRobotsInc posted:

Anyone have an idea how many treats need to be shoved into animals to get more than one of whatever they produce?

I think 100 if its the species specific treat, 200 if its the generic treat to max their bars out.

There's a breakpoint for 1 more of whatever they produce every 25 species specific treats or 50 regular treats. So they max out at five I'm pretty sure.

It might slow down later though, I'm only in late Winter 1 and my animals have just started popping out 3 milks and eggs.

Zore fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Apr 19, 2015

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
I've had mine survive for about six harvests so far. Dunno if that's normal or I'm just lucky?

I think you can also save scum to keep it indefinitely if you want.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

AngryRobotsInc posted:

I've only got the root crop and spice fields right now, and trying to get the...leafy crop field, I guess? Whichever one is on the same map as the root crops. I figured the game would be kind enough to unlock whatever I could grow in the spice field once I won it, but nope. Unless they're Fall and Winter crops (I'm at the tail end of Summer 1).

They do unlock some, though I think you buy them from one of the country sellers?

All I know is that I was growing a spice in Summer 1.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Echophonic posted:

So what are the early game things I should hold onto? I know Iron and I think a few Topaz, but I wanted to make sure I didn't hock anything important.

Hold on to as many bricks as you can get your grubby paws on and save at least 5 turnip seeds for the seed maker. They stop selling the seeds around when the seed maker unlocks and you don't want to have to jump on a bunch of poo poo for months hoping it'll spit out a turnip packet.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

AngryRobotsInc posted:

Where do you get the toys for your pets? I checked the vendors, but I might just be blind and missed them.

The one who sells Treats (Cabin country I think) sells Cat Bells and a schematic for a dog whistle.

You only need a single cat bell fyi. I bought a full stack thinking they were used up like the treats for the farm animals, but the cat just fetches it and brings it back to you.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
Has any Harvest Moon game had divorce in it?

Why is it in the title of the thread.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
I want villagers to have more personality and have more unique events and conversations. Rune Factory 4 I felt had a great balance here where there were tons of unique events, most of which were multi-step events you needed to do something with. And people had just a ton of incidental dialogue, two and three years in I was still seeing things I hadn't before.

The mainline games have felt really lacking in this since RF3 came out for me. Which sucks because Villagers are an even bigger portion of the game in mainline versus Rune Factory.

Actually, I skipped most of the mainline games between A Wonderful Life and Tale of Two Towns. Are there any gems I should definitely go back and play now that I'm winding down on Story of Seasons? Preferably with more interesting events/characters?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Tired Moritz posted:

Technically his name is Cam in ToTTs.

And hers is Reina.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
Reading some spoilers on the DLC some of it is incredibly :wtc: even for Harvest Moon so I'm not super broken up if we don't get it.

Spoilers if anyone cares Woofio isn't human he's a living costume essentially after a witch cursed him and there's a lot of weird poo poo and melodrama in there

Zore fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Feb 5, 2017

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
Oh my god, your dad making GBS threads all over your desire to be the standard Harvest Moon/Story of Seasons protagonist in the intro is amazing.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
Well this loving sucks. I got a new cat and now its all buggy/glitchy and won't work properly.

It teleports to a part of the map and is stuck there running or lying in place. You pick it up and move it and the second its put down it teleports again. You take it on a walk and it just teleports somewhere on the new map with the same behavior.

I've tried moving it indoors, changing pet houses, changing pet houses on different plot and its still doing this.

Fuuuuuck :( both my other pets work fine too.

Update: I've been trsting and it consistently fucks with Herding cats assigned indoors. So don't do that I guess or they'll glitch out hard.

Zore fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Mar 12, 2017

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

TurnipFritter posted:

Unfortunately, 3oT follows the 3DS game tradition of the best characters not being candidates, because seriously why would anyone marry someone who isn't Caolila if they had the option? I guess I'm going with Siluka, but that's mostly for lack of better options.

I've been pretty impressed with all of the events, in general. They seemed to have put a lot of effort into trying to make the towns feel like actual communities, so the events tend to feature a several different characters and see how they interact. Some fall a bit flat (The three childhood friends and that one with Megan and the fish), but some are amazing (basically any of the Hector and Colin ones, and one of Frank's).

Iluka is easily a better choice than Siluka :colbert:

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Fru Fru posted:

I think you can marry Inari now and the DLC are the festival characters. At least I already had the comb show up in my shop and I'm not dating anyone so that seems to be true.

Inari can't have a kid without the DLC and gets some added events.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

That Old Ganon posted:

I think I'm going to go Ludus as well. I just wish all the cool people weren't already married and there were options besides "wispy bishounen."

Does anyone have any idea where and when I get access to coconuts?

Raise Lulukoko to rank B, or ship 200 fruits to Lulukoko to get Coconut Palm Seedlings available for purchase in Lulukoko.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
My Lulukoko rank is lagging way behind the other 2. I've cleared the rank B locks with them but Lulukoko is still only about a quarter of the way through C.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
Frank is the goddamn best and you're a weirdly huge rear end in a top hat in his first event.

Your character is just an insane gossip in this game though, which I guess is true to small town life :v:

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

HellOnEarth posted:

I wish this series would bring back rival marriages. They haven't had them since Grand Bazaar.

Yeah, a rival system would be nice. Just pair up the bachelors/bachelorettes since you have even numbers of them anyways and give them event triggers like heart/flower events.

Also more heart/flower events for non-marriage candidates. They're usually the best ones anyways.

Also, while I know not everyone was a fan, I liked the story structure of A Wonderful Life. Just having some poo poo change instead of people being locked in time.

Have events like year 2; secondary characters start getting married and have new events etc.

Zore fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Mar 21, 2017

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

TurnipFritter posted:

I think the big house with the bathroom is the last feature you unlock, everything else is just stylistic. Which, if I'm remembering right, means the upgrade sequence is: Starter House -> Upgraded House (Kitchen/Closet) -> Western/Eastern/Tropical House -> Big Western/Eastern Tropical House (Bathroom) -> Mansion

I think you need the Big House to be able to get the large bed and thus a child.

Mansions are just style tho.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
Yeah, all marriage candidates have 2 gender neutral events that anyone can see and 2 locked to light green/dark green flower level you can only see if your character is the opposite gender and you aren't dating/married. Inari and the DLC candidates have fewer than everyone else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Willo567 posted:

I'm interested in Story of Seasons: Trio of Towns, but I haven't really played the previous game. What are the differences between SoS1 and ToT?

Story of Seasons 1 has a focus on unlocking Merchants from various countries. Normal Harvest Moon buying/selling is eschewed and you need to time it based on these Merchant's 3 day cycles as you sell directly to them instead of via a shipping box. It also has various special plots of land you compete with other farmers for, which range from extra normal fields to rice paddy ones. You can also swim and dive for junk in various lakes and rivers and catch bugs to give as gifts and sell. Clothing and outfits can give you various perks like 'run faster' or 'time moves slower'.

Trio of Towns is more traditional in that you have a shipping box that you put all your stuff in, gets picked up at 6pm and you get your money the next morning. There are 3 towns that are unlocked over the first month and a half and all of them are on slightly different schedules (Lulukoko has stores open from 6-10am and then from 5-9pm. Westown has stores open from 10am-5pm etc). There's a lot more character interaction and ambient dialogue, and I personally like the Bachelors/Bachelorettes a lot more. There are also part time jobs you can do that get you money and Town Rank, which is how you upgrade stores, which are just minigames. Clothing perks have been moved to various foods and last a limited amount of time.

Zore fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Apr 1, 2017

• Locked thread