Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I Watson
Feb 25, 2011

Good-night, sweet prince;
And flights of angels sing thee to thy rest.

Agnostic watermelon posted:

So how is Tale of Two towns? I really need something to play on my 3DS.

I'd wait and see if Natsume is doing the 3D conversion or Marvelous is. I am not sure I can trust that Natsume will do a stellar job on it by themselves. The players at Fogu who imported the game liked it better than Grand Bazzar and Sunshine Islands, but many of them seemed underwhelmed by it. I need a fix though, so a :spergin: I will go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Watson
Feb 25, 2011

For those of you not interested in giving Gamestop your money for a stuffed animal, you can now give Natsume money directly for a stuffed animal.

http://www.natsume.com/store/index.html

I Watson
Feb 25, 2011

Serenity Dove posted:

Do you think that pre-order offer will be open to Europe? I've already decided I want to get the US version of ToTT but if I can pre-order from Natsume and get a free thing then whelp. Can American goons pre-order yet?

No, they don't have it for pre-order yet. Looking at the rest of their offerings, they do not ship to Europe; probably because Rising Star has the rights to the series over there. A course of action to consider is to bribe an Amerigoon over at SA Mart to buy it for you and ship it off.

I Watson
Feb 25, 2011

OrangéJéllo posted:

Has it always been "coming soon"? Were you guys able to pre-order already?

The store went up just a few days ago, so when pre-orders will start, if at all before release: :iiam:

I Watson
Feb 25, 2011

There seems to be a lot of confusion right now as Gamestop has not changed the date for Tides yet. October sounds like a safe bet on the release; Natsume is pretty drat notorious for delays.

When Frontier came out, My local Best Buy did not get it in until a month after Gamestop did, which pissed me off as I had reward certificates to spend there. I never did figure out why it happened but maybe we'll see a repeat of that situation for Tides?

I Watson
Feb 25, 2011

DuckPuncher posted:

So I went to five stores. FIVE STORES. All of the stores that carry DS games in this city. And none of them had Tale of Two Towns. :argh: One got a new Barbie game in today. But not Harvest Moon.

Amazon it is.

If you are not completely pissed off check tomorrow; some parts of the country are not getting the shipment in until today or tomorrow.

I Watson
Feb 25, 2011

Well Harvest Goons, I don't know what to grow or charge for the entance fee yet, but here is my Friends Code for the Multiplayer Field:

0733-7477-5598

The game is OK so far, not the worst one I've played in the series. I like the horse and cart system and would love to see that applied to a much larger world map.

I Watson
Feb 25, 2011

Star Guarded posted:

Hows the translation on TOTT? Are the characters totally boring or do they at least have individual one-note personalities?

There is a couple of stand outs like Howard:h: and Ayame, but the villagers are fairly dull across the board. I don't know how obnoxious she was in the original Japanese but the Harvest Goddess is starting to get on my nerves as well.

I Watson
Feb 25, 2011

Zenzirouj posted:

And hey Watson, what the heck is the deal with your avatar. It's pretty distracting.

It is from a show that would be replaced by more episodes of Johnny Test and Problem Solverz. If you like giant robot shows and John Hughes movies, it is worth tracking down episodes.

Marvelous and their second party developers are notoriously lazy coders, they tend to throw a HM/RF game out there at least once a year right now.

I Watson
Feb 25, 2011

THF13 posted:

-The big dog pet appears to automatically try to bring in/out your cows/sheep, but it doesn't always take all of them so you can't rely on it.

The little dog is ment for sheep alone; the big dog can do both but is biased towards cows. Also cats will carry and babysit your chickens. :catstare:

I Watson
Feb 25, 2011

I will be playing on through until Tides of Destiny comes out, I am near the end of Summer now so I should at least have a year and some change under my belt before then. This is the first Harvest Moon in awhile that is trying to sit you down for the long haul, as mending the friendship between the towns and rebuilding the tunnel takes time.

Oh yeah, folks who are looking forward to playing a girl in Tides of Destiny will need to temper their expectations: Sonya was made into a playable character late into development; you don't get to be her until the rear end-end of the game's story. You only get three bachelors to the ninety-or-so odd girls because of such.

I Watson
Feb 25, 2011

tsuki posted:

One thing I wanted to see in ToTT was rivals. Seeing the rival heart events, giving weeds to your rival, and later trying to get the rest married. I liked the characters having lives.
Also, the harvest goddess in this one is completely nuts. What does she want for presents? Those apricots looked pretty tasty, but she hated them.

Flowers and later-game/expensive vegetables: http://fogu.com/hm10/villagers/harvest_goddess.php

Toodles! :j:

I Watson
Feb 25, 2011

Zorak posted:

So I started playing Rune Factory 3 on a whim a few weeks ago, and a question: what is the intended audience for these games demographically anyway?

In Japan, Rune Factory is primarily aimed at a male audience while Harvest Moon skews female. Harvest Moon didn't start that way; it took a good while for them to make 'for girls' versions of the titles and the option of playing either gender in the same game is a fairly new invention. It does not mean that folks aren't free to enjoy either series, it is just the culture of the promotional items and the personalities of the characters within.

For Oceans/Tides of Destiny in Japan, the majority of pre-order bonuses were creepy loli poo poo (art of them in lingerie, bikinis) with all of one bonus featuring the bachelors. The ladies in said game run the Anime gamut a little bit more than RF3 did, from 'little sister' to angry, agro chick. Marvelous and Neverland loves dem anime tropes, the majority of what they publish is still along those lines.

Over here in America Natsume guns right for girls for both series, hence the awwwwwdorables animal plushes they tend to give away.

quote:

I'm enjoying the game, but I'm not entirely sure why.
Because it is a fun mix of things to do and has an amusing localization. The dungeons are easy as hell though.

I Watson
Feb 25, 2011

At least in the more recent games the 'men' have been in your age bracket. Or just drawn that way, it is hard to tell now and then.

I don't know about Dr. Toddlerface over here though, I just don't have the heart to woo someone who looks the same questionable age or younger than my farmer.

The other day I popped into Gamestop with my husband and he held up A Wonderful Life for PS2 asking if I had it already. I went, 'no, that is the one where they creeped it up by letting you marry a little girl and wait a couple of years to knock her up.' he blinked and put it back onto the rack with a "Oh."

I Watson
Feb 25, 2011

FrickenMoron posted:

The "Asian" type girl in RF:F doesn't look very old either but apparently no one is bothered by that?

I was, but I ignore her for that reason. The fact that the PS2 port got the ~special~ addition of marrying Lumina just makes it a bit more disturbing somehow. It would be like a port of Frontier that includes the bonus feature of being able to marry Candy. Tides has Candy make a guest appearance but I beleive she is still a small child in it and non-hit-on-able. Thank god.

I Watson
Feb 25, 2011

DeathBySpoon posted:

Does anyone know if Two Towns on 3DS has any sort of online? I haven't played a Harvest Moon since Friends of Mineral Town, and a friend and I are both getting the 3DS one when it comes out. Just wanted to know if we'll be able to do anything together since we don't live near each other.

Mmm does not look like you guys will get anything meaningful out of it, http://fogu.com/hm10/ds_vs_3ds.php has confirmed differences in the game and the only online interaction available in the original is covered here http://fogu.com/hm10/basics/special_crop_field.php.

I Watson
Feb 25, 2011

Wandering Knitter posted:

On that note: Does upping the stars on your crops matter outside of raising the price? Because right now it really doesn't seem worth it outside of maybe winning the best crop contest in the crop town.

Winning the crop contest and maxing out the stars on a cooked dish using that item is about it.

I have been trying to replicate that spiral irrigation trench I saw on Fogu for watering purposes but I have failed at it so far. Has anyone else been able to do it?

I Watson
Feb 25, 2011

DuckPuncher posted:

Very carefully. Make sure you're at full stamina, because the tired animation will interrupt you and gently caress you over. You can dig down after doing a row and stuff, just got to get the timing down. It helps to hold down the direction of where you want to go next as you're tilling the current tile, and make sure you don't hit A too quickly.

I'm a trenchin' pro, now. :smug:

I'll give it another shot then, thanks for the advice. I think my problem is mashing A too many times too quickly.

I Watson
Feb 25, 2011

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

If you mess up just hammer the spot you messed up at and start again by using the hoe on the last square of your trench. You can extend existing trenches, you just can't connect two, I think.

Yes I know about corrections but you can't extend it once you screw it up.

I Watson
Feb 25, 2011

Xenoith posted:

Yeah, I just always thought they were items you could scavenge like old Harvest Moon games in the wilderness. I dunno why it didn't click that they were able to be farmed.

RF2 beats your head in with the concept, you had to grow specific crops in the dungeon fields to open doors. In RF3 you can just hand up the finished product.

I Watson
Feb 25, 2011

Marvelous has unleashed news on the next Harvest Moon title, the website is already up: http://www.bokumono.com/series/hajimari/

The main features being touted are character and house customization as well as everything being fully polygonal. The way things look so far, it seems like they played DQIX and went 'we should do this poo poo right here!'.

I look forward to the game after this one fixing what was perceived to the wrong the first time around. It is tradition.

I Watson
Feb 25, 2011

PhD Pepper posted:

I don't understand how Marvelous does this to me. I'm always a little disappointed in some aspect of the newest game, they release info about the next one, and I'm super pumped again. I will say I probably have derived more enjoyment from the series as a whole than some A-list titles, but I wish they would devote some time to making a truly incredible Harvest Moon.

I think the series is a victim of its own success, Marvelous doesn't need to do much to get people to buy it at this point. I haven't heard of any game breaking bugs in awhile, but just about every title was sure to have one in the past due to their sloppy coding.

I Watson
Feb 25, 2011

Gamestop boned the street date up and told pre-orders to pick up their copies of Tides of Destiny today. :v: Your mileage will vary if your location gets their shipment in today or not; as well as if the clerks will let you purchase it.

I will be going later tonight and will report back if mine got it in and let me buy it.

I Watson
Feb 25, 2011

That or Natsume reeeeeeeealy wants that sweet fee they can slap Gamestop with for breaking date. They are being all coy and ":)" about it over at their Twitter.

I Watson
Feb 25, 2011

Got my copy of the Wii version from Gamestop. They even had it out on the shelves so they gave no fucks about no date. Sadly the prices weren't $29.99 and $39.99 as previously pitched, they were both $10 more.

I Watson
Feb 25, 2011

SnakesRevenge posted:

The trophies in the game seem well-done if you're into that sort of thing. I don't know if/how these are handled on the Wii.

You get trophies for the crap you do in the Wii version as well, you just don't get to show off to folks like you can on PSN.

I Watson fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Oct 8, 2011

I Watson
Feb 25, 2011

One of my favorite touches in Tides is the random NPCs that walk arround the island. It is nice not limiting existence to 10~20 people, or feeling obligated to befriend every face you see.

I Watson
Feb 25, 2011

It is the room on the lower left in the Church. You will be examining a pot in the lower right corner.

I Watson
Feb 25, 2011

I haven't been able to play Tides as much as I've wanted to this past week and have gotten back in the saddle today.

For Deathsmiles Reject Pandora, the tribute she wants is a stuffed animal, correct? Do I have to grind until I can make a stuffed wooly or is there another way arround this?

E: Nevermind, apparently you can give her a toy duck instead. I have yet to find any teardrops though. :argh:

I Watson fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Oct 15, 2011

I Watson
Feb 25, 2011

The Minotaur family also harvests crops, I have a regular one at 9 affection and he clears out Spring Island every day.

The folks at Fogu translated bits from a Japanese wiki on the game to get this list about what monsters do what and this list about what grows best on each island.

I Watson
Feb 25, 2011

ThemeMusicC posted:

We've had the same info about RF4 for like half a year now. I'd like to at least have more characters introduced some time soon.

They delayed the release until next year to retool it, so that is why information has been slow to get out. It makes me wonder what they felt needed polishing, as Marvelous usually has no qualms about throwing poo poo out there, bugs and all.

I Watson
Feb 25, 2011

In concern to the future of the series, I am one of those weirdos who would like to see everything they ever came up with for Harvest Moon thrown into a MMO (that is not a Farmville/Happy Farm clone). It would consume all of my time, ALL OF IT.

The only snag would be having to play with the average Harvest Moon fan on the internets: "OMG I wis there wuz ghey marriage becuz yaoi with bishies is so smexy **^-^**"

I wonder if the new company direction of Marvelous will have an impact on both lines; the delay of RF4 was an interesting move on their end as previously noted.

I Watson
Feb 25, 2011

Adam Bowen posted:

So, if I were going to get one of the following which should it be?

Tale of Two Towns (I have a 3DS, so either version)
Rune Factory 3
Hero of Leaf Valley
Grand Bazaar

I'm not too sure about RF3, I thought the first 2 were OK at best and the dungeon stuff is far less interesting to me than farming and anime wives, but I've heard a lot of good things about this one. I definitely only have time/patience for one Harvest Moon game though, so I'd like to play the best of this lot.

Thirding Rune Factory 3. If not for the game mechanics, then for the fact that Natsume mysteriously made a good localization for a change. The voice acting did not make me want to mute it, and while most every lady is "wacky", at least they had distinct personalities.

Leaf Valley is a Save the Homeland update, so whatever you feel about that, Grand Bazaar's primary concern is well, the bazaar, and Two Towns is the requisite second game on Bazaar's engine.

Two Towns is good if you want to have a game last you a long time, as it will take multiple game years to upgrade everything and woo some of the trickier spouses. I found it kind of middling after everything was said and done though, Rune Factory: Tides of Destiny helped derail that for me as it was more exciting by far.

e: WHERE iS RF4 u GaIS?!?!?!

I Watson fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Dec 12, 2011

I Watson
Feb 25, 2011

yellowcar posted:

Anyone know of a good online guide or database for Tides? GameFAQs is completely unhelpful.

What did you need help with? http://www.fogu.com/hmforum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=141017 is a monster guide, there is a few other threads in that forum that may be helpful.

I Watson
Feb 25, 2011

Fresh news from the upcoming regular series game for 3DS. You will end up with fatty, fat, fat animals if you don't take care of them properly; and a new bachelor named Neil was revealed, the local rear end in a top hat-to-everyone-but-animals type. If you like to breakwoo Grey, Blue or Vaughn, you now have someone new to pick. I do hope this one turns out a winner, the last couple of proper Harvest Moon games each have had good ideas but came up a bit short in the end.

Just Offscreen posted:

Has anyone played both and could give me the scoop? I have heard some iffy port issues with B&G, but maybe it would be worth it if the load times were better. I just don't know.

I have not played either so I hope another Goon can help you out.

I Watson
Feb 25, 2011

Apocadall posted:

The worst is how much of a void each version resides in. They've developed a lot of great features that should be in all of them but they never do. It's so much of a clusterfuck I'm surprised they can stay in business.

Marvelous publishes and sponsors a whole bunch of different things to keep that nerd money rolling in. Their forte has been vapid anime cash-ins and JRPGs, but there are sports and browser games too. Now and then you'll get something special like No More Heroes and Little King's Story, but this is their usual gig. :japan:

I Watson
Feb 25, 2011

Well one thing in Rick's favor is that he is the template for the boring inventor guys that have come since. -Yeah, I've got nothing.

I Watson
Feb 25, 2011

ThemeMusicC posted:

Hopefully the fact they're starting to show new characters means we'll be seeing other new stuff soon.

That horse is so :black101:. I spy a fishing pole though, so I guess he's just a laid-back stoner at heart like all of the other fisherbros in the two series.

I Watson
Feb 25, 2011

You guys ready for some anime? I'm ready for some anime.

The Rune Factory 4 trailer from today's Nintendo Direct is up, featuring glimpses of previously unannonced marriage candidiates and :smaug:s. My eyes may be deceiving me, but looks like Cecillia might be back again. Oh gorsh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Watson
Feb 25, 2011

The best part is that it is going to be anime in 3D. You get three dimensions of anime for the price of two!

The website is now open but there is all of jack and nada to look at in it right now unless you can read enough Japanese to enjoy the dev blog.

• Locked thread