Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."
I just picked up Tides of Destiny the other day, and am currently having a lot of fun playing through it. Does anyone know other games that are similar to the Rune Factory series in terms of farming + rpg elements?

Those have always been my favorite elements in games - balancing an external pressure to do something like farm for more power in addition to being able to just go into a dungeon and level up traditionally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

eggrolled posted:

Oh and as a PSA... Your house is NOT a good alternative to a supply shed. poo poo despawns :( Inventory may be annoying until Spring 25 folks :v:

As a heads up, you can safely store all your tools in the toolbox, and you are able to store just about everything else in the other storage areas. Just take your tools out at night to water the plants again, use 'em in the morning, and then store them before foraging. It's a pain, but manageable.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Revol posted:

Oh, is this another HM game where you can water the crops twice a day? Is that done just to speed up growth, or can it also contribute to quality?

As far as I'm aware, it speeds up growth only. I'm not sure if it contributes to quality (or if you might get better quality by watering only once and fertilizing every day). You might notice when you buy seeds that they have a range of days that they mature in, and I'm pretty sure that the low end of the range is 2/day watering, and the high end is 1/day.

Something that has been bothering me about recent harvest moon games is how they don't let you access the fishing pole immediately. It's most useful in the very early game when you don't have the land or funds to maintain a huge field of crops, and when you have the most free time because of few obligations. It's a little frustrating to get a fishing rod after your farm is already established and you no longer really have as much time to fish.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Jesto posted:

I'm hoping that in the finished version you don't just buy animals from a menu and plunk them down like that. Seems like getting them should require slightly more effort, even if it's just ordering them from town or winning them from contests.

I'm pretty sure it'll be more involved - the current menu system just looks like a testing placeholder so that things can be shown off easily and quickly.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Fancy Hat! posted:

Wait, it does that "The Animal Shop is OPEN!" every time? Hoo boy....

From what I can gather, it's because the shop is set up in the town square, and just pops into existence at opening time, and despawns at closing time. Because the game can't procedurally set up the shop, it has to play the cutscene to set everything up and despawn everything properly.

It's really annoying, and there's no way I know of to skip it short of not going into town around the time when the shop opens/closes.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

katkillad2 posted:

Bottles...sweet jesus I need bottles. I'm lucky if I get one a week fishing. Also i'm looking forward to when I can plant yams again.

Are you using traps or the rod? You can cycle through three traps in about 40-50 game time minutes, and if they do turn up a bottle, they'll turn up more than one.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Julet Esqu posted:

Careful about building your life around those weather reports, though. They seem to be wrong an awful lot.

I think they're wrong because it'll predict rain on a day that's technically a festival or garden tour, but you haven't unlocked it yet. The game code forces it to be sunny for the event, even though the event will never happen.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

The White Dragon posted:

^ Yes precisely

You know what made me a poo poo-ton of money? Cooking the lovely fish I trapped. Instead of 30-60 apiece, they made me 300-500 each. I've cleared 20 g's in one day in the first Summer so far, and I spent 90% of that day grabbing bugs. The fact that I'm grinding my cooking only helps.

I now give exactly zero shits about dropping tons of money on Copper and Iron.

Multiplayer will also give you essentially infinite money - don't bother to buy more than two or so of each animal though. It unlocks around the end of spring. Also get started on breeding animals right away - later animals unlock by breeding earlier ones.

If (ab)using multiplayer sounds a little exploitative to you, then fishing with fish traps is really useful. You can save right before picking one up and reload if it breaks.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Fru Fru posted:

I started a yam seed room if anyone wants to drop in. I think I added everyone that posted their codes recently. I also joined that channel.

I wouldn't mind getting in on that if you're still active. Code is 4312-9680-4958.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Fru Fru posted:

Added you, opened another room.

Thanks!

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

suztan posted:

Also, I'm curious to what people put on the hilly area on the right side of their main farm area? I don't know what to put there.

Put anything you need to water there - if you go to the top, you can tap the geyser there to water everything once a day. Saves you a bit of time on watering.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Julet Esqu posted:

What I've never seen anybody mention is that you also need to ship a bunch of potatoes for the same renovation. I don't know, maybe everybody else managed to ship a ton of potatoes by the time it came up. I hadn't, though, so I had to wait for spring to come around again so I could ship some!

So don't neglect potatoes.

Keep in mind that a separate requirement is to host three gardening festivals, and I think the first one you can actually host is in the first fall, so you won't finish the third until the second spring, which gives you plenty of time to grow potatoes.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Twelve by Pies posted:

Also please tell me the clock stops if I go into a building because that ticked me off about AWL too.

It does not, but the time for each day means that you'll be pretty glad that time still ticks while you're indoors. Combine that with multiplayer giving you infinite cash (essentially), and there's not really as much of a mad scramble to get stuff done each day. Generally I find that I don't really feel crunched by time or that I have too much time when playing - it strikes a good balance.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

The White Dragon posted:

Does the Speedy Brush take up less stamina or something? I'm having major stamina problems and it's all because I have to brush like eight animals, which takes up about half my stamina bar (all the uses of the Ultra Watering Can I need in a day only takes up, like, half a heart). It's ridiculous.

Use multiplayer and you can take care of your barn animals for 0 stamina. Also, you don't really need more than one or two of each animal if you use multiplayer, so you might want to reduce how many animals you have in your barn. If you're lategame enough to need to care for 8 animals though, just buy some stuff from the general store to cook or cook some milk/eggs for stamina recovery.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Twelve by Pies posted:

Being able to ship weeds and rocks is kinda weird though, as is having the magic infinite bag that I can store 50 branches in. I'm assuming I don't get a storage shed for a long while.

You start unlocking storage sheds around the 25th or so, which is around when multiplayer opens up if I remember correctly. By the way, don't sell rocks or branches - they're used in construction later and it can be a pain in the rear end to get more. In fact, you're better off not shipping much of anything other than fish and crops at first. If you want to, try to ship around 30 potatoes in the first spring - there's an objective to do that later.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Twelve by Pies posted:

...oops. Well, I assume that hurricanes/typhoons in summer will still put branch/rock trash on my farm, yes?

Also you say I'm better off not shipping anything but fish and crops. When am I able to get fish? I'm on the fifth or sixth day I think. Does that mean I shouldn't be shipping bugs?

Oh, sorry, forgot about bugs. Yeah, ship the hell out of those. Just save flowers, rocks, branches, honeycombs (especially honeycombs), and that sort of thing. Fishing is an event that happens around the 15th or so? You get fish traps initially and they're awesome, but have a chance of breaking. You can save before picking them up and reload if they break. For reference, when you get the chance to build fish traps, they cost 5 small branches. You're generally better off saving your branches for building different crap like fences, decorations, buildings, etc. In addition, some plans will require branches, while other plans will require lumber or material stone - don't convert all of your branches/stones into lumber/material, just do it on the spot when you need to build something. You're also so early into the game that you shouldn't worry about what you've shipped already - it's just the sort of thing that'll accumulate for a season and make some projects easier in the future.

Inventory management sucks until you can build a supply shed, but later on you get a bigger pack, stop caring as much about stuff on the ground, get access to more stuff, and it all gets much easier after the first spring. You start to get the ability to build things then and you'll understand why we say to save everything - it just makes it a hell of a lot easier to get around to building stuff ASAP instead of waiting. You also tend to be more material limited than cash limited, especially with the way multiplayer works (and you'll get access to multiplayer around the end of spring).

Also, new animals are unlocked by breeding old ones, so when you get the chance, it's worth breeding your cows/sheep/alpacas/etc.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Multiplayer is literally free money. It's also free stamina, since you can take care of all of your animals for a day without spending any time or stamina on that day. On top of that, if you run into someone generous, you can get rare items that you wouldn't get otherwise.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Revol posted:

Where is this cliff? Are you sure you're talking about Yokmir Forest?

If you go up past the first screen, you should be on a screen that turns right. At the top of the screen, you'll see two boxes and a cliff to your left. Walk to the edge of the cliff and you'll see a spot you can examine. Examine it, jump off, and you'll be in a cave where you can mine emerald, some rune clusters, and if it's your first time down there, there's some cash and such there. Explore right if you dare, but save first since the enemies are really strong.

Edit: Minor spoilers about a tameable monster in the area after the first dungeon.

After the path to the second dungeon opened up, I found a cave with giant chickens (Mamadoodles?) that do something absurd like 400 damage to me. On the bright side, I tamed one and brought it to the second dungeon where it proceeded to one shot all the enemies and made a mess of the boss for me. The chicken is something like level 38, so it's just a tad bit overpowered compared to my level 17 self.

Crafting also seems a bit counterintuitive in this game - if you run out of RP while crafting, you lose 1/4 of your health. This is true regardless of how much RP you would spend, so you actually want to spend RP on cheap crafting stuff and HP on heavy crafting stuff.

Dirk the Average fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Oct 2, 2013

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Revol posted:

These games have used RP to craft for a few titles now, I think. Perhaps this is more a problem if you're trying to rush through too fast? We're all beating the first dungeon in the first few days. We're supposed to be fighting these monsters, beef up our RP pools.

Well what I mean is that a particularly expensive craft when you're training (like using a level 11 material to upgrade when you're at level 5 on a level 7+ weapon) might cost something like 80RP, while an at-level upgrade will cost around 10-12. If you're using food to restore HP and RP at the same time for crafting, you're better off spending the RP on cheap crafts and the HP on the really expensive stuff. This is doubly true when you run into the situation where you spend more RP than you have remaining, as it will still take off 1/4 of your HP. It's really only applicable when you're trying to grind up crafting by eating food though.

Thinking about it more, at least one follower has a heal spell. I wonder if I could persuade them to heal me while I craft for free crafting?

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

HellOnEarth posted:

Man, is the AI ever stupid sometimes. Forte just stands next to the enemy, not hitting it, not doing anything. Christ.

I think the AI just isn't aggressive enough in some cases, or gets hung up on targeting the wrong thing. My giant murderchicken charges forward and obliterates everything though. It is the best murderchicken.

Fru Fru posted:

OK stupid question, how do I get to the mansion? I'm guessing I haven't unlocked something that I need cause girl said there is a bridge but there is no bridge.

Have you walked to the correct spot where you need a bridge? It should be south from town and then to the left; just south of the summer field. The bridge situation will resolve itself.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Fru Fru posted:

So past the rock that says I need higher mining skill? I figured that's what it was.

Yes, but you don't actually need to break that rock. You can walk around it if you come into that screen from a different direction. Go down two screens from the town exit, then hang a left and keep going left until you reach it.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Shinjobi posted:

Do I need to buy all the supplemental tools (hammer, fishing rod, axe) on my own, or are they eventually given to me in a quest?

The only one I haven't been given is the magnifying glass.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Emalde posted:

Mamadoodle is just a regular Cluckadoodle that happens to be big and high leveled, they aren't a boss. Actual bosses work like regular monsters, so 4 can fit in a basic barn building.

To expand on this, I tamed Mamadoodle with a combination of the fodder in her lair and 3-4 stacks of basic medical herbs. It took a hell of a long time, but eventually worked. It's also amazing and has carried me through every dungeon really easily (it's at around level 50 right now with around 12k health). I stand back and magic at things while it murders the hell out of everything. In retrospect, I should have also brought a villager along with me, since that would keep both the villager and my chicken leveled.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Emalde posted:

No, they just pass out until you change screens, where they get back up with a tiny amount of HP.

And you get spells to really easily heal them if they do pass out.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Revol posted:

Oh, question. The Tin Waterpot AOE move is painful as gently caress on my RP. What the gently caress?

Get more farming skill - when you first upgrade your tools the RP cost is absurd, but after a few skillups from using it regularly, it gets affordable again. I upgraded to a pot that waters half the field at a time, and I went from burning around 1/4 of my bar on watering my fields to my full bar.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

It'd be nice to actually get armor and a helmet on my character model. Are either of those things available? I feel a bit silly subjecting my dude to the slings and arrows (and magic and teeth and claws, etc) with him wearing a hairpin or a ribbon instead of a proper helmet.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Emalde posted:

Important thing that isn't mentioned until way later than it rightfully should be:

For anybody who uses magic spells, Leon will level them up if you hand them to him. The early upgrades just require money, but as you get above rank 3 he'll start requesting different gems/minerals.

Wait, really? Holy crap, I need to go do that immediately. Quick question: is there ever a spell vendor, or do you have to find all of the spells in the wild (generally in dungeons) or from requests?

Also a couple of other general questions:

Can the season-specific fields be expanded? I noticed that each successive field is larger than the last - summer being a paltry four plots with the others getting progressively larger. It'd be nice to get more room to work with summer crops and such.

Potential spoiler question about the fourth? (I think it's the fourth) dungeon: In Yokmir cave, there's a search point in an area just to the right of the stairs that says "Something doesn't seem right..." when examined. There's a switch I can't get to on the other side of the wall. What do I do at this spot?

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Blhue posted:

In other news, people should try casting those spell thingies that they pick up. Besides the heals. A lot of them are crap, but some of them are great. Through careful experimentation, I have learned that Penetrate Sonic is the poo poo. It fires tons of projectiles which bounce off of walls and chain casting it in enclosed spaces basically creates a death blender.

Keep in mind what was mentioned earlier in the thread - Leon will level up your spells. This makes them drastically more effective! The reason you're seeing Penetrate sonic as amazing is that the spell starts out at level 5. You'll actually see very similar results (on a per projectile basis) from the lower tier wind spells if you level them up too. I'm actually going through the game as more or less a pure caster, and originally my staff outdamaged my spells by a wide margin. Now my leveled up spells are king and I rarely if ever actually use my staff.

As an aside, does anyone know where the next water spell after Water Laser is? I currently have 3 fire, wind, darkness, and earth spells, 2 light spells, but only one water spell. I feel like I must have missed some really obvious upgrades to not have found a better water spell.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

A couple of neat little things:

L+R+Start+Select = soft reset! Wish I'd known about that a long time ago.

If you upgrade a farming tool with the magnifying glass, that tool functions like a magnifying glass. For best results, put it on your sickle so that you can see the level of the crop you're thinking about whacking.

Parallel laser (2nd level water spell) is apparently hidden behind trees that only disappear during a thuderstorm. No wonder I couldn't find the damned thing. Delta laser does work, but I'm not sure I like the firing pattern very much. It does do a ton of damage though!

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Cake Attack posted:

That said, I also have no idea what I'm doing, but that's part of the fun. I just got to the third dungeon, and everything is suddenly kicking my rear end. Should I just come back later once I've crafted myself some better gear (right now I have a Steel Sword, and some boring armor, I think just a shirt), or am I doing something wrong?

Crafting better gear can definitely help - make sure that you upgrade it as well, since you can really ramp up a weapon's capabilities by upgrading it. I'd also suggest bringing along villagers and/or animals with you when you go dungeon diving - some of the villagers can heal you, and some of the monsters are amazing. The other advantage to monsters (as opposed to villagers/your character) is they can't get equipment, which means they scale much better with levels than you do. The downside to monsters is that late game they can't get equipment, so you can eventually kit yourself and villagers out to higher stats. They're definitely a huge help, however, and I've been bringing two of them along with me to just about every dungeon.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Cake Attack posted:

e: I love how there are skills for everything. Take a bath? You're now better at taking baths. I'm going to be the best in the world at taking baths. You don't even know how great my baths will be.

Yeah, it's really a great incentive for players to just do, well, everything. Without the bathing skill, why would I bother getting a bath from the springs when I can just as easily tap a rune flower/stone for free, or cook and eat a cheap food. I have a feeling I'm never going to have a good sleeping skill - my dude stays up until around 3-4am every day fighting or crafting.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

ZZT the Fifth posted:

Also, if you're hurting for fodder, you can gather it easily in the cave with the Mamadoodles if you're brave or if you're good enough to deal with the murderchickens.

Tip for the mamadoodle location, explore the right hand side of each cave screen.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

ZZT the Fifth posted:

The talk of upgrading a Sickle with a Magnifying Glass gave me a thought. If you upgraded a Heart Pendant onto another accessory, would the other accessory then gain the Heart Pendant's skill-EXP boosting powers? ... If I can find a Love Crystal I may experiment with this.

It might. I've been trying to read the japanese wiki via google translate, but the translation is, well, rather shoddy at best. There's a whole lot of crazy crap that can go on with upgrading, and apparently there are even recipes that let you effectively transfer one weapon stat's to another weapon. I may be reading it incorrectly, but it seems like you could, for instance, get a super powerful longsword and transfer its stats to the fish or radish longsword so that you'd be smashing postgame enemies' brains in with a fish. Again though, I'm not sure because the translation isn't perfect.

It also looks like you can inherit the heart pendant into other things, but man I have no idea how to decipher this properly:

Japanese Wiki posted:

"Special ability inheritance arrangement" with the material of the shoes arranged with a special effect, an accessory the category to take over the special effects and make the armor of
The special effects, that the effect is not displayed by number, not take over effect that is displayed numerically attack and defense power, and elemental resistance and abnormal state resistance
Unlike the performance inheritance arrange weapons, armor, shield, hat, here to use the frame arrangement
However, it is not possible to arrange inheritance performance shoes, in accessories
The maximum number of arrangement because it is 3 frame, can exhibit at the same time up to a total of four of the effect of 1 × 3 + arrangement material effect × of the finished product
Keep in mind that it does not take over the special effects even with shoes and accessories to strengthen after creation rather than the arrangement
When the material of the arrangement pendant sun, pendant of grassland, pendant star when you make a pendant of example heart, heart pendant that had both the effect of one arrangement material 3 and the effect of pendant original heart is completed

Edit: And of course I now get it immediately - the way the inheritance works is that if you make an accessory, like say a heart pendant, and you put in three other accessories (say wind pendant to buff animals, earth pendant to buff tools, lucky ring to enhance drops, etc.) while making the pendant then the effects will inherit. If you just try to add something in after the pendant has been made, then nothing will inherit.

This has a lot of potential - I could see getting a lot of use out of a +exp+skillexp+droprate+animalstrength pendant that still has the ability to be upgraded later with things like four leaf clovers and rare cans for even more drops, or magic attack or int, etc.

Dirk the Average fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Oct 10, 2013

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Dragongem posted:

So I found that you get Project X (failed synthesis items) from the random requests from the request box. They're not a bad way to grind your resist ailments skills- drink one before bed!

This is an excellent idea! I'll have to start doing that.

Blhue posted:

Well gently caress. Apparently they can't be harvested from her after taming either, and now I have the weirdness of having a barn occupied by the demonic alter ego of one of my girlfriends.

Edit: Oh god, she's ridable.

Rideable monsters are the best monsters though - that way you can tame a high level monster, ride it, and direct its attacks so that you're not dependent on the AI bothering to try to hit something. It's how I've gone through the Sharance Maze absurdly early. There's no way in hell I'm actually supposed to be there yet, but tossing on a wind pendant and using the monster buff abilities makes everything a cakewalk (until I get knocked off the monster and two-shotted, but that's a risk I'm willing to take).

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Nostrum posted:

Is there a rhyme or reason to the breakpoints where you will learn a new formula from bread? My forging is at level 63, but I only have been able to learn the platinum axe recpie so far - yet, my logging skill is HALF my farming skill. What gives? I know for weapon formulas going to level 30 in the particular weapon unlocks orichalum-level recipes from eating bread, but what the heck is going on with farming bread?

Are you sure you learned the platinum axe recipe from bread? You can also learn the final tool recipes from treasure boxes, though supposedly the hammer line requires you to have a full family first.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Wandering Knitter posted:

I need a good monster buddy that can gently caress poo poo up. What's a good one to befriend?

What level are you/what areas do you have access to? The boss monsters have some really amazing attacks (especially the giant tree that was a boss in a previous game), but your best bet is getting the highest level monster you can that you can ride. Bonus points if the monsters you can tame are higher level than you.

I took a Mamadoodle and a wolf through the end of the second part of the game, and occasionally substituted in the elemental faeries, as their attacks are amazing. For the postgame, I dove into a level 300 area and tamed a troll and an elephant so that I can ride them and take advantage of their massive stats boosted by the wind pendant - their attack and defense far outclass anything I currently have access to.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Aerofallosov posted:

What food do the Silver Wolves like? Need one for my Mamadoodle - pixie - wolf army of destruction.

Also, how do you change outfits? I haven't gotten the recipe for pajamas or anything.

If I remember correctly, I just threw a random cooked dish at the wolf, but I may have also used an egg? I think it just needs to be something edible; there's nothing overly specific.

Clothing can be changed once you unlock the shop that sells clothing. It's not a recipe.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Wandering Knitter posted:

I'm only on the third dungeon, thanks to overtime at work. :argh: I keep trying to friend a Mamadoodle but it never works. Do I need to be a certain level or use a certain item to do it?

I got lucky and friended mine with a medicinal herb - I basically ended up throwing everything up to the kitchen sink at it, from fodder, to various herbs to finally down to my last five or so medical herbs. In theory you get a better chance by brushing a monster before trying to tame it (good luck doing that with a high level enemy though!), and level supposedly factors into it, but taming just seems like a complete crapshoot to me. At level 150ish I've had a hard time taming level 4 buffamoos even after brushing them a ton, and conversely I've been lucky and I tamed my level 300 troll when I was level 100 by accidentally throwing one dish at it while trying to tame something else.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Fru Fru posted:

I was telling them to gently caress off before I found out about it too. But since then I've killed him twice for the apple and as far as I know there is only one recipe that needs it? Since I already made it, I sold the other one and now can go back to telling typhoons to gently caress off.

Theoretically you can tame him with the same apple, but that might require killing him twice more (once for the apple, once to tame him), depending on whether or not Raven stocks the apple after it's been shipped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Vanilla Mint Ice posted:

Supposedly you're not even in a one third of the way in through the story and then there's the post game so don't worry.

Yeah, and even when you're at the point where you're waiting for the post game to trigger, there's still a heck of a lot of stuff that you can do, and there's an unlockable area with scaling enemies to tide you over.

• Locked thread