Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Anyone have a spare Silkie egg they’d be willing to give out? I don’t mind what quality it is, just want to raise one up early in the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
Holy poo poo, A New Beginning's Multiplayer is absolutely perfect. All you can do is get rich by helping people. Even if they gift you poo poo like soil or scrap metal you still make bank off of all the wool and milk. Why can't all online play be like this?

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

Wandering Knitter posted:

And God drat it why won't anyone bring a brown alpaca with them?! :argh:

We should pool our efforts, I seem to bump into browns every now and again but have not a pair of sheers to collect their wool. It's especially devastating when it’s a giant brown alpaca! :qq:

ID:4484-7803-8985

Crabtree fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Jan 5, 2013

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
Are there any crop mutations that can happen in New Beginning? Because there are these dead plants that can't be removed by a sickle and they're actually growing into something that looks like a dark bush.

Also, does anyone have about 4 jars of Honey they'd be willing to trade? They're the only thing keeping me from finishing renovation plan 2.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

Rookersh posted:

I started playing Frontier a bit, and am actually enjoying it. My question is though, do I ever actually get the ability to work on the town itself? I see my little house has a bunch of upgrade options, as does my farm, and the town has a ton of empty space, but I haven't seen any indications you can yet, and I am just a farmer/this is a farming game.

Rune Factory is a farm JRPG, you’re a farming adventurer. Those empty spaces are likely where you either forage the wilds or eventually open up to specific dungeons where you tame/fight monsters.

I don't think you can actually work on the town itself except for A New Beginning and maybe RF4.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
4484-7803-8985

Anyone have any bottles or 5 moondrop flowers they can trade? I've got some amethyst, Sandrose and Gold Silkie eggs I'd be willing to give for them.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

Blhue posted:

I've got both of those and could use an amethyst. 4768-7629-8819.

Sorry for taking so long to respond, I'll keep a friends only multiplayer room open for a while or up tomorrow afternoon EST if you're still interested.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

Aerofallosov posted:

Oh my freaking RNG. I need silver so badly. Why must you be so hateful, mines?

It's funny when I can get Pink Diamonds and Gold more than Silver. I feel like the game is having some kind of sick joke against me by giving all the money I want without updating my gear as fast as I want.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

Looper posted:

:stare: What do they feed these things now?

With enough love, food, treats and sunlight all your animals can grow to big sizes and produce 4 times the milk, eggs or wool. The super animals only show up in multiplayer and they're there to let you harvest 6 pieces of 5 star golden produce. Just be happy when you see one.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
Haven't gotten a call yet for my pre-order. I don't think snagging a copy will be hard if I'm screwed out of 5 bucks, but I'm pissed that RF4 can't seem to hold a static release date.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
The fishing festival is rigged, I catch 5 consecutive pieces of trash but I only get third place with 17.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
I am in love with the charged spear attack. I can chain up to 100 hits on a near dead enemy and it never gets old.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
It might also be because Marvelous is now the only Harvest Moon developing company in town after Neverland closed down. I am all for new abilities and marriageable characters looking older than 15 though, 2014 can't come early enough for me to get my hands on this.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
Just tell me when the new good games hit and I'll be fine. I need my HM fix yesterday.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
Well if this turns out to be crap there's always Story of Seasons to show us how its done. I'll agree that minecraft and Harvest Moon have a similar zen garden feel to them, but we already had functional drag and drop building placement in A New Hope. There's no reason to seemingly make everything destructible slabs just to chase after Minecraft's specific audience.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

kurona_bright posted:

Apparently Lost Valley has done pretty well.. Hopefully we'll get more games then. :)

It sold exactly because of that name. It was entirely made by Natsume and some little not Marvelous developer.

It'd suck if Seasons was eshop only as I don't know how popular download only games can be, but as long as it gets the attention it deserves I'll get over it. Glad they're seemingly upgrading the online parts from A New Beginning. It was pretty cool to get black or gold eggs from random people and even if it was normal, you could always sell and profit off of any attempt to "grief" you in that game.

Crabtree fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Jan 14, 2015

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
God, early game Story of Seasons is kicking my rear end with this lack of traders to ship goods every day. It's making me miss the online portion from A New Beginning having a source of get fast animal goods and point raising.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
I miss ANB style online play, its hard to get people to join your little sever if they get nothing out of it unlike the last game.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

Linnaeus posted:

someone, anyone, please make a new rune factory for me to play

Your last hope seems to be Return to PopoloCrois: A STORY OF SEASONS Fairytale, but that seems more rpg than farming game as that seems to be the "optional part" of that game.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
I still think New Beginning is the best solely because of how great and profitable multiplayer was. But if they just kept it as that was with all the Story of Seasons content, it would be superior.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
Can I pretend Return to PopoloCrois is a Rune Factory or will it be too Level 5/cutesy to be the right kind of weird anime?

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
Other than just not liking some of the direct Terarria animations and legacy, Stardew Valley seems to be a decent HM clone. Here's hoping Co-op isn't just invasion of the assholes ruining your crop for no reason.

Crabtree fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Feb 5, 2016

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
So popolecrios is a super cutesy Rune Factory or will there be hope for the right kind of goofy for some RAINBOW?

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Return to Popolocrois comes out in NA today. Does anyone care?

I got it and will play it over next week.Its going to be weird to go back to farming without a mouse.

Any hope of Stardew Valley's high visibility on steam making even Natsume or Marvelous think about venturing into PC with new or old games?

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
So effectively no one can touch the older Harvest Moon games for a decent port because Natsume broke up with XSEED badly?

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
There's this girl that plays video games and wants to fight with swords and uh. Um -- I think, maybe a Caveman Santa?

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

TurnipFritter posted:

An important new addition to the franchise: You can have capybaras and maine coons as pets.

Okay so there's American Town, Japan town and what India Town? I do like their clothes I'm just too dumb to pin the obvious culture they're going for here.

Also Popolecrois is definitely a JRPG first and a farming game second, but its hitting some familiar Rune Factory 1 beats in being an early, clumsy yet charming marriage between two styles of games. I do like when you beat bosses for dungeons that they actually say "some weak mook takes their place in the power vacuum" but you can easily go in and beat them for another reward.

Crabtree fucked around with this message at 11:36 on Mar 4, 2016

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
Oh hey, this thread didn't die after all. Almost finished with Return to PopoloCrois and it was a decent ride if not the best harvest moon. You basically raised crops just to have something to sell or something to craft into gear/gifts for girls; the game is very easy even on hard difficulty, I really liked most of the characters and its not bad for a time sink. Cute game for cute farmers.

And according to this ancient gamefaqs post, no, there is no way to control monster assignment outside of deliberately capturing one type to fill up one barn. I'll have to dig out the cartridge to make sure, but I don't remember being able to do that in RF1.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

It's kinda funny that they managed to beat Natsume to market and completely suck all the oxygen out of the PC J-farming market for them and probably everyone else.

Oh Natsume had no chance to make something of value to compete on HM's old quality now or before Stardew, but Marvelous/XSEED could make some good ports and there's room enough for more HM likes. Or a miracle could happen and Natsume gets its head out of its rear end, goes crawling back and pays Marvelous/XSEED to port Tides of Destiny to PC seeing as PS3 games have had a good run on steam.

I'm just glad Natsume doesn't have the money to pull a Bandai with Stardew and bully them for money/semi ownership.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

Gibbo posted:

Keep dreaming, tides of destiny was bad. The combat was boring and breakable, and the magic farm stick and being unable to choose what you plant downright annoying. There wasn't nearly enough golem stuff, and what there was was all very samey.

It was the second and last attempt at a big console Rune Factory game. It's probably the easiest to port between Frontier having to go through Nintendo and its not Rune Factory 4 nor 3. Of course it isn't the best thing since sliced bread. But it could be something to bring to the table if the stars aligned and Natsume swallows its pride to bring the real deal HM to Steam.

But all we can hope for is for Marvelous/XSEED to try to bring the new poo poo over and for no one at Natsume to try and hire Eric Barone as their personal dev sweat shop.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

A Sometimes Food posted:

Huh. Well that sucks. And Marvelous doesn't really have any other RF or HM games suitable for porting unless they go back to the PS2 era. I mean a cleaned up RF4 port would be amazing but no way in hell is that happening.

Edit: And obviously they don't have the rights to those. gently caress me.

I know, they and Japanese devs/shareholders too dumb to smell sort of easy money on PC are all that's keeping it from happening. But that doesn't stop me from wanting it really badly.

I like the Story of Three Towns trailer though if only because I like running around with pups.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
Like harvest moon some people like yardwork and some don't.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

Linnaeus posted:

http://gematsu.com/2016/05/story-seasons-good-friends-three-villages-second-trailer-more-marriage-candidates-introduced

Another trailer. Also one of the comments says that inari is a candidate for both genders, which is pretty cool.

Would this be them reacting to Stardew Valley however slowly in trying to dip their toes into gay or bi characters? Even a "opposite gender of the player" is something rather than nothing.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
It doesn't really have compelling JRPG features, there isn't a lot of farming, and you don't really marry anyone. Its dull but it has heart. Hopefully the next real Story of Seasons will give a Harvest Moon.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
I already miss the other names like Good Friends of Three Towns or Tale of Three Villages. Oh well, a dull Trio of Towns is fine as long as its still fun/cute to farm.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
For the not too wacky stuff, I don't mind buying to get as SoS ain't as powerful as HM. It ain't really fair or realistic to expect it to be free of something that far niche. If they don't decide to send it our way, oh well, I'll still have Trio of Towns.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
I am now fearing when they do four or anymore towns. All I'm doing some days is just running around delivering packages.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

Zore posted:

Oh my god, your dad making GBS threads all over your desire to be the standard Harvest Moon/Story of Seasons protagonist in the intro is amazing.

Dad, I'm making like 10,000 a day in my second season. Being a farmer/gem merchant seems to be a pretty decent job but, okay, sure, I guess I'm just not rich enough for you am I?

Does anyone know all of the stat increasing feed for animals and where to get them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
Really want to believe in Little Dragon Cafe as its that kind of warm sunny game I missed from Harvest Moon. Wonder if the Switch version is better than the PS4.

• Locked thread