Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Lord Ephraim posted:

- save on a Monday and cancel any festival that week. (Hilariously, you can cancel Christmas)
Harvest Moon - Christmas is Cancelled

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Starting RF4 for the first time. Anything permanently missable I should know about? I guess I'll also accept general advice, but really I just want to be sure I'm not missing something forever.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Allarion posted:

Go crazy. Nothing is really missable. At worst things can be a pain to regain if you sell them like abilities, but otherwise you're good to go. Also there's an optional dungeon that the game never hints at you how to reach other than you randomly stumbling on it which is the source of dungeon seeds, which in turn get you sword and shield seeds. In Secerezo Hill there's a screen with mushrooms covering the path. On the first 5 days of each season, those mushrooms are gone so you can go there. After that, you can access that dungeon from your airship anytime you want. There's a lot of hidden mechanics and paths, so feel free to experiment and explore (or look stuff up online if you really must know why you're fusing those coke cans into your sword).
Eventually I figure I'll break and look at a FAQ, but if nothing's missable I won't sweat it, thanks! So far this game is way less anime than I had expected, in a good way. And the characters are all tolerable! But I'm literally three days in.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Dirk the Average posted:

Oh, right, thing you really need to know: you can hold A to pick up multiple items at once. Say you plant a line of crops - just pick up the first one, hold A, and you'll automagically pick up the rest as you run into them. It's incredibly handy.
...yes. This is a thing I really needed to know. Seriously, thanks. That's actually awesome.

(I did find out I could walk over my crops. Can't tell this is my first RF and I haven't played a HM game in years, can you?)

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Is there something like a storage box, but for rune abilities? I just have a bunch and I like to keep my inventory screens clean, you know.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
And as long as I'm asking dumb questions, is there a way to see my actual stats? I know skill levels are in the pause menu, but I mean HP/RP/atk/def/vit/int/whatever.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

FrickenMoron posted:

They are on the top screen when you're in the menu!
...yep, that was dumb. Somehow I missed that!

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

FrickenMoron posted:

Barret and Raven dont count, only the villagers you have unlocked count.
Yeah, I just cancelled and reaccepted and it gave it to me that time. Was weird.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
You can convince her to stay by showing her the same dog repeatedly, as her memory has had holes eaten in it from years of... yeah, sorry.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Do I care about shipping one of everything in RF4? Or just the ores and stuff so Raven will sell them? I figured that last part out on my own.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Nondevor posted:

If you ship high level crops or seeds, the same level seeds are unlocked in stores. This is pretty handy when you find a level 9 turnip from a box, for example, since you can immediately start planting level 9 turnip seeds after shipping it.
...my god that's awesome. I got the level 2 turnip seeds in the shop from the "ship a level 2 turnip" quest but I didn't know that I could just stop sickling and start spending money after I shipped one nice leveled thing! (My money is definitely outpacing my lumber and material stone at the moment, I'm not even out of Spring 1 yet.)

Stupid question: If I want to craft better armor, is that Weapon Bread or Accessory Bread? I haven't seen Armor Bread. I guess my question might be "why not?"

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Yeah, this is clearly a situation where a guide would be much easier, but I'm trying to not spoil myself and honestly I don't even know why but it feels right.

Besides, I just got the ability to order that fat fucker to make me more bread every day! Eat THAT, you fat piece of poo poo.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Dude can't even open his shop before noon! That's practically a war crime.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

I Watson posted:

You'll be thanking his glorious rear end when he warns you about oncoming typhoons. But seriously, get more friendship levels with him and you can bug him for bread whenever he's awake and inside the restaurant, posted hours be damned.
...okay. I'll play nice long enough to get my bread. I love when video game mechanics make me a sociopath :allears:

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

FrickenMoron posted:

The seed drops do not interfere with the regular drops, theyre all fixed chances apparently. Try forging a rare can on your favorite weapon for some better luck.
Do regular cans do anything? And regular boots? Or can I get rid of all this unstacking crap in my storage box?

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
I'm at the Floating Empire and random enemies and bosses alike are kinda kicking my rear end. I would like better armor and weapons. Should I just be grinding up my skill? I'm at like 40 crafting and 40 forging, my weapon is like +360 atk. I don't have an unlimited supply of Platinum, sadly.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
So how do I raise my soil HP most easily? Is there a good field source of Withered Grass? Should I grow corn? Or does Minimizer do it effectively for only 3000 gold?

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Yeah, it's Corn or Four-Leaf Clovers, which grow SO loving slowly. So I guess Corn it is!

...also I better hurry up and unlock the postgame, I want some goddamn Orichalcum and stuff. Are there Platinum rocks anywhere, or just boxes in Floating Empire?

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Dirk the Average posted:

Only use one non-hp restoring item on soil a day. Formula A/B/C will wreck your soil otherwise. Alternately, do it all at once to max out growth speed, then use just enough to maintain it while the hp recovers.

Edit: upgrade your tools with a magnifying glass.
Got one on my sickle, that's how I even noticed that the HP was low to begin with. It's a plot with three trees where I've just been planting random stuff to instantly sickle and level up, but I don't know what happens when HP hits zero. Should I even be worried? Does the compost box thing make HP regen enough that I don't have to worry?

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

FrickenMoron posted:

If the hp hits zero regrowing crops die. The easiest source of withered grass is the big mamadoodle nest, it always has like 5-10 and some fodder in it, every day. Tilling it will restore 60ish hp.

As far as your weapons/armor go, you can forge way better stuff at level 40 already. You ARE upgrading your poo poo, right?. You might also abuse the hidden rarity upgrade system to get level 1 items with 700+ stats for atk/def.
Yeah, I already blew past the "final boss" and I'm waiting on the postgame event to start. And dating a waifu and stuff. You know how it is.

also jesus christ I was so unhappy when she asked what she should call me and one option was "Master"

oh god Japan why :(

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Patware posted:

Clorica? She's at least in the maid sphere so there's a reason even if it's still not OK
Nah, Dolce. Tsundere waifu best waifu.

...man, I just typed that unironically. The anime is coming from inside the thread :tinfoil:

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
These loving rocks in Leon Karnak won't drop Orichalcum for me. I know they do, because I got a bunch the first day I hit them, but now they keep throwing Iron at me. Do items that affect drop rate work on mineral rocks?

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
I am so blind that I can't tell rare fish shadows from normal ones. Stupid "feature". Gotta find a Legendary Scale!

e: Apparently, complaining on the Internet works. First tiny fish I saw.

DACK FAYDEN fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Feb 12, 2015

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Attn: Goddamn yellow fairy piece of poo poo that's supposed to appear to the west of Idra Cave. Please spawn and drop a Yellow Core. But I'd settle for just proof you exist. Thanks in advance.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

The White Dragon posted:

They're an ultra-rare spawn to begin with, but drop walkthroughs won't tell you that. The good news is that if they do start on the screen, the spawner will continue to make more of them at a normal encounter rate until you destroy it or leave.
Yep. I finally got one to show and eight gate spawns later I got my Core. Are they rarer to appear than the other three faeries? Green was trivial while I fished for Legendary Scale, Red was quick, and Blue took a bit but not nearly as long.

e: Huh, I am trying to grow every crop in giant form and my Eggplants (and also my Cherry Grass flowers) are just staying big but not merging into an actual giant crop. What's up with that? More Gigantizer doesn't take [Sz.] above 2, but I tried more soil quality, restoring its HP even though it wasn't 0, and more Formula. Does it matter that it's Winter?

e2: and drat, Rune Prana stuff hits hard. Guess I gotta farm up a lot of these random crafting mats from floor one, since the gear ramps up pretty quickly too!

DACK FAYDEN fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Feb 14, 2015

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
When does Raven start selling Sharance Maze boss drops? Like, if I just got this Earthwyrm Scale and ship it, can it show up tomorrow or do I have to finish out the entire Maze first?

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Dirk the Average posted:

Check if the item has a buy price. Most super high end boss stuff does not, which means that Raven won't resell it.
Earthwyrm, Firewyrm, and Legendary scales do have buy prices - and actually, I've already seen her sell Legendary Scales in the few days since I beat Rune Prana because I fished one up, so I guess I just answered my own question, didn't I? I'm stupid - so presumably it'll happen eventually.

TOTALLY UNRELATED QUESTION: Where are the best spots for Tuna and Sunsquid? I haven't found them despite spending days in Idra Cave and Sechs Territory and Maya Road. Also, Rare Cans can spawn anywhere, so where's best for them, the place with the fewest rare fish?

edit: actually, more important question: do the later levels of Sharance Maze let me get more than one Bread+ per ten floors, because if not I will just give up on this game instead of trying to do all the grindy postgame and 100% shipping, which I would like to do!

DACK FAYDEN fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Feb 18, 2015

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Hell, I'm using the Rosary just to not have to put up with random enemies! I'm just at the point where I only barely cleared the first part of Sharance, so I don't really have the resources to do it quickly yet. I guess I'm just supposed to keep doing it until I get Weapon Bread+s?

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Dirk the Average posted:

Yeah, but if you want to do it quickly, all you need to do is tame a boss monster (one of the story bosses - they're immune to status effects/knockdown), wear the pendant that boosts monster stats, and then just kill everything.
They're all so low-level! I guess, like, Grimoire 2 is a thing? If monsters and townsfolk didn't take forever to level I'd be all about that plan.

(also gently caress Love Crystals or whatever they're called, the drop rate is so low, goddammit I just need one to get Raven to hook me up)

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Dirk the Average posted:

Nah, I mean tame one in the Maze itself! You can leapfrog your way there by taming any random monster in the beginning (just bring a stack of a shitton of any consumable (~100 or so) and try to tame a monster until it takes. Then just savescum trying to tame one of the high level bosses until it takes. The process will take some time, but you only need to do it once, and it's by far the easiest way to annihilate the maze.

Edit: make sure to get a monster you can ride so that you can mitigate how squish you are by using its health instead of yours. You want to get the water pendant to boost monsters and the rosary to get to bosses quickly (but don't make them the same accessory since the rosary only needs to be worn once when entering the maze).
...well, I'm dumb. Guess I'm still gonna do Grimoire 2, since the level 200 one I picked up after reading that, while underleveled for the Maze, is definitely full of sweet moves and flies and looks sweet.

Now to grow some more giant golden crops, because I used them all to catch the first one!

e: and I can't decide which Love Crystal farming method I hate more, guaranteed appearance rates with no drops or 10% appearance that theoretically should be more likely. Anyone got a preference?

DACK FAYDEN fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Feb 18, 2015

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Seriously, these loving Love Crystal things. Or Heart Crystals or whatever they're called. Anyone have a favorite farming method? :(

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Sage Grimm posted:

They're terrible things because they only drop from Heart Gates. Unfortunately, if you do want to farm them, there is that water lilypad area south of Obsidian mansion where two will always spawn. You're better off shipping one and then hoping that Raven, Arthur, or the gem merchant will sell them back for much faster results.
I've been alternating between there and walking in and out of that one room in Rune Prana 6 until the random gate is an Affection Gate. I just need one, I'm fine with save scumming Raven, but I need the first one!

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Successfully taming crazy high-level bosses from Sharance Maze. Which one has the best special attack as long as I'm riding them anyway? Right now I have an Octopirate, because dude absorbs fire and ice and has that ink cloud attack as well as a strong single-target. Can Marionetta do that spray of toys attack?

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Dirk the Average posted:

Better. She has a card toss attack that acts almost like a shotgun in that it fires an arc of cards that will all hit an adjacent target at the same time.

If unridden, bosses have access to more attacks, but bosses you control directly will attack more frequently and effectively than the AI will.
Oh my god, the one that oneshot me that one time.

...all right, time to make a shitload of apple pies and run through the 500 dungeon until she shows up and then pray

I guess I better release this level 20 one, huh?

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Dirk the Average posted:

You can, but remember that low level monsters will rapidly increase in level up to your high level monsters (at least that's been my experience, I'm not sure if they increase to your level or the highest monster's level, but even my cows are like level 300 and they've never fought anything). That being said, you really want to ride Marionetta because of the aforementioned box attack. Other bosses are better to have fight alongside you. I'm also partial to the giant tree boss, since he's pretty easy to tame and has a shield ability that hits really rapidly in melee.
They seem to only level to me, I'm 200 and the best way to get more power has been to tame something higher rather than wait.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Rune Factory: Tides of Destiny is on sale. I loved RF4. Should I bother?

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
So this Return to Popolocrois thing is... what, exactly? Real Harvest Moon crossover with a franchise I've never heard of. I really like Rune Factory, and I do enjoy a good HM now and again. Should I be looking to pick it up?

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

That's exactly what it is. It's a little more traditional JRPG than Rune Factory.

From what I gather, the game treats the farming systems the way other JRPGs treat town-building or whatever, ie there's a fair amount to do if you want to do it but it's pretty much entirely optional and you don't have to do much farming at all to clear the game.
I'm down for that. I guess I'll wait on some reviews but it sounds good based on that description.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Did anyone ever speedrun Harvest Moon SNES good ending%?

I know there's the any% where you jnust go to bed repeatedly for 45 minutes, but all these minmax strats for day one makes me wonder how well an actual mechanic-using speedrun could be optimized.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

I forgot to mention it (and the publisher barely mentioned it!) but Return to Popolocrois is out in PAL territories, eShop-only.
Unfortunate that it's like a day before Bravely Default hits Europe... but still, if someone's bought it, do tell us how it is!

• Locked thread