Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Oh, neat, a Harvest Moon thread. I've been a fan for quite a while, having grown up with Friends of Mineral Town. I've been playing A New Beginning a lot recently, the pitiful lack of varying dialogue is almost made up for by the satisfaction from being able to build up the town by myself. Yuri is also the best marriage candidate around.

I've got a question, too: How does RF4 compare to RF3? RF3 has pretty much become my absolute favorite game in the series, does RF4 have the same (or greater) amount/quality of dialogue? One of my favorite things about RF3 was that you actually had a short conversation with each villager on most days, and it took forever to see any repeats. Is it mostly the same in 4?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Also, make sure to upgrade your equipment often. If you upgrade as you get access to new materials, you should be fine, but when you fall behind on upgrades, the later dungeons start to kick your rear end pretty hard.

Other than that, there's no time limit or anything, so feel free to take the game at your own pace. :v:

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Widestancer posted:

I have an issue where almost no one but Porcoline will go on an adventure with me, though. They all say they "can't right now"; the people I'm asking all have at least 3 hearts. What gives? I mean, Porcoline makes a hilarious companion but I really miss having Ms. Sleepyhead Butler fall asleep and recover all of her health; it's just so :3: !

Check your diary. There's probably a town event that's keeping all your buddies busy.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

YggiDee posted:

Keep in mind that if you are regularly talking to Porcoline, Margaret, and I think Dylas, they should warn you of Typhoons a few days beforehand, so you should have enough time to spread Wettable Powder.

If you're not talking to Porco every day, then something is clearly already horribly wrong. :colbert:

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Lord Windy posted:

I love Harvest Moon, but I don't really like Action RPGs. Does Rune Factory have enough of a Harvest Moon feeling to keep me interested or would I be better off just buying a Tale of Two Towns for a new Harvest Moon experience? I own pretty much every other Harvest Moon in the series.

Also, the townspeople are far more fleshed out than they are in the main series. (How good they are depends in your tolerance for anime. :v:) It is very enjoyable to have more than like three lines per affection level!

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Interesting! I always thought of the Rune Factory series as more of a spinoff. Story of Seasons is more like an RF title than an HM title?

It's more like the Rune Factory series has very quickly eclipsed the main series in quality of life improvements, so pretty much every other game compares negatively to it in that respect.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Honestly, if we could have a game where the villagers were ,more down-to-earth than the Rune Factory series, but with the same amount of dialogue and character development, that'd be golden.

It was such a shock going from RF4's pretty much an entire year of daily dialogue for each villager to ANB's "one line per affection level, plus festivals I guess".

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

How's the everyday dialogue in Story of Seasons? Better than A New Beginning, or about the same?

The thing that really killed ANB for me after I tried to go back to it from Rune Factory is that each NPC had like 4 lines total, and that's pretty much what's gonna determine if I get SoS or not.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Gamerofthegame posted:

It's probably what you're thinking of, but that was with the RPG maker generator and now everyone has actual art.

the art in the steam version actually looks pretty good tbh

dunno if the game's still any good tho

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Stardew Valley also doesn't timegate anything, though.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

the characters make pretty bad first impressions but then you get to know them more and make the pleasant discovery that like half the town has some form of depression

an accurate depiction of small towns

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

LibbyM posted:

I want to play them in order because it's a part of gaming that I missed out on that, as someone who loved harvest moon 64 as a kid, I would have really enjoyed if I"d played them as they came out. I know if I skipped to 4 it would be the best one, but also I'd never be able to go back and play the others and appreciate them for what they were if I did that.

You should definitely play 3 before 4, but idk how much there is to appreciate in 1 and 2.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

i married the sleepy girl in both RF3 and 4 and was very happy with my decision

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

LLSix posted:

Our Love Will Grow claims to be a harvest moon like. Has anyone tried it?

Just looking at the steam page, the stock RPGMaker assets, and the fact that you can only play as a dude, I have no idea why anyone would pick this up when Stardew Valley exists. Looking at the reviews, you can't even befriend the non-bachelorette villagers.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

RickDaedalus posted:

Hey so I've been reading and re-reading the whole Harvest Moon and Story of Seasons split, and my tiny brain still cannot grasp the situation. Every time I think I do, I end up forgetting it an hour later.

Story of Seasons is the original Harvest moon by Marvelous that got a name change when they split from Natsume because they own the name for some bizarre reason.

Harvest Moon is now being made by Natsume, but is technically a new franchise since Natsume wasn't making them before.

Is that right? This has been bugging me all day.

Yes.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

How's the amount of dialogue/the characters in the new SoS? I feel like the Rune Factory games really spoiled me for what to expect in characterization; I liked A New Beginning a lot but the characters having like four daily lines to say really killed my momentum. I'm not expecting RF levels of "it takes like an entire year for dialogue to repeat", but how is it otherwise?

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Catalina posted:

Huge. I'll see if I can find the numbers for the main game, but just the DLC itself (which will be released in English in the future) is,
"over 200,000 Japanese characters, making it as large as some games we’ve released. The first Corpse Party, for example, has about 210,000 characters."

http://xseedgames.tumblr.com/post/156774860925/about-dlc-for-story-of-seasons-trio-of-towns

Edit: Found it:
"With approximately 2 million characters of Japanese text to be localized, Trio of Towns is the largest Story of Seasons to date, surpassing the previous title in the series which had about 1.7 million characters.
http://www.siliconera.com/2016/12/11/story-seasons-trio-towns-text-game-series/

I can't easily find out how much dialogue RF4 had, I'll post it if I do.

Oh, wow, thanks for the answer!

Allarion posted:

The thing is, Story of Seasons had lots of variable dialogue too. The main problem being if you followed a set routine, you usually talked to villagers in the same spot and time, so they'd usually say the same thing about that particular area or activity they're doing. Rune Factory 4 was good at this by making what villagers say more dynamic and not set in stone wherever. Dunno if Trio of Towns has adopted RF4's dialogue system yet though since I haven't started my copy yet.

The last "main" HM game I played was A New Beginning; but it's nice to hear that the first SoS improved on that as well.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

I ended up picking the game up and I'm definitely enjoying it so far! The characters are definitely making a better impression that they did in A New Beginning, and it's charming in general. The first couple weeks dragged a bit because I was going to bed around like 12 every day just because I didn't have anything to do, but now that I've unlocked the second village I feel like that's not gonna be a concern.

I'm also a big fan of the part-time jobs, except for the part where I failed a couple shipping missions because I didn't realize that wildflowers, with the word "flower" in their name, didn't count as legit flowers for the purpose of the job. My only real complaint in general is that the music got old after like an hour; but this seems like a good podcasting game anyways.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

MotU posted:

when does stamina start to feel a lil bit better, or am I meant to just be ramming food down my gullet constantly? I'm only in Summer 1 but I still basically wipe out 60%+ of my stamina just watering the fields you start with in the morning.

Upgrading your tools' weights helps, eating lunch with villagers helps, it looks like you can increase your stamina too. I got an extra heart on Summer 14 after completing the first batch of farm tips, but I'm not sure how directly those events were related?

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Honestly every single villager in the game is p. likable. Being able to eat lunch with everyone is a very nice touch, and I like that when people fish, they actually fish. I've spent a lot of time hanging out with Marco by the river and catching fish alongside him. :3:

I'll probably be marrying Siluka (she's cool and I might as well keep on my RF tradition of romancing the sleepy girl) and Ludus over my two playthroughs; though honestly I think I'd be pretty happy with every marriage candidate. I'm still sad that Brad and Caolila aren't options, though.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

TurnipFritter posted:

Part time jobs are important early on, but yeah once you have enough resources to actually start shipping your own crops/byproducts instead of hording them you can start ignoring them. Check the part time jobs to see if there's a weeding job (for fertilizer) or a tidy up the professor's house from Lotus. The tidy up jobs can result in getting a bunch of useful materials. Anything else is just, like, ew, no thank you.

Ford's very ethical human experimentation job is pretty nice too; it pays out a good chunk and there's nothing to lose if you take it after already depleting your stamina.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

i honestly like stardew valley's characters, and most of them have at least one or two heart events that are legit sweet (like playing DnD with Sebastian) but man they've got less dialogue than some of the older Harvest Moon games. The fact that asking someone out just results in a single text-box ("WOW SURE I ACCEPT") and maybe like three additional lines of dialogue (I think marriage confessions are like that too?) just kills it for me after RF4, though.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Kruller posted:

So I just got the new Story of Seasons, and I'm still in mid Spring 1, but so far basically all I've been able to do is water stuff, pet my single cow and chicken, and then go back to bed after doing part time jobs, because I have no people unlocked and nothing else to do as far as I can see. Am I missing something? Or is there a time when poo poo actually starts unlocking?

The two weeks are pretty dire until the second village unlocks, on Spring 15, yeah. Just hang in there and things will open up.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Kruller posted:

As a definite anime hater, Porcoline is the only thing that makes my eyes bleed. That thing is an abomination. The rest is just standard anime, nothing too weird, and the gameplay is fantastic. Good combat AND good farming.

Porco is the best character in any Harvest Moon or Harvest Moon-adjacent game and I'll throw anyone who says otherwise off an airship

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Corridor posted:

also the characters had better be insane and charming as hell. the ones in SoS were *okay* but a lot of their appeal was the excellent portrait art. im missing rune factory and forget-me-not-valley characters p bad.

the characters are incredibly charming and they've got a good amount of dialogue, but everyone's still more grounded than even the most normal RF characters. (...Doug?)

except woofio

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

stardew owns but it has like 1/40th the dialogue of RF4, and even trio of towns blows it out of the water with its townspeople and poo poo

• Locked thread