Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Looper posted:

Ooh actually I wanted to ask, how is Harvest Moon DS? I noticed it has the same cast as Wonderful Life and I kinda wanted to try a non-lovely version of that setting

DS is awful and I say this as someone who likes Tale of Two Towns.

I've always found (M)FoMT really fasted paced. I can accumulate gold, upgrades, and husbands really quickly. I had Cliff at red heart by fall year 1 last time I played and all the house upgrades done by winter year 1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

idk I just found DS really disappointing as a kid after (M)FoMT. Maybe it's just because I have the most glitchy copy.

I also really like Cam.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

You know what's more annoying than having to wait until Fall Year 2 to get the loving Foliage Festival? Having an apparently defective cart that can't access the wireless features so I have no choice but to.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

a7m2 posted:

Are you sure it's the cart? It could be that your router's firewall is "too good". I had to set up a DMZ for my 3DS' IP just to play video games online.

No, Pokemon works fine and it happens both at my home and school network and in my OG 3DS and my New 3DSXL. It's the cart.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

In my long, long quest to unlock butler husband, I keep accidentally activating Rod's heart events. Fall Year 2 cannot come sooner.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

The White Dragon posted:

64. If you start later, it'll probably be too barebones to go back to it, but it's charming and involved enough that you can really get into it. It's a pretty consistent series, so you'll know whether it's for you or not pretty quickly.

While that's mostly true, I often find myself switching between ANB and MFoMT. Don't know if it's just nostalgia talking, but MFoMT is my "fast" Harvest Moon.

In other news, I never I have to do a Gardening Tour again. Frees up farmland too!

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Making money is very hard at the beginning of the game when you can only ship, like, 3 times a week at best. But so far it's very pretty. Seems to flow better than everyday farming in ANB as well.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Smoking Crow posted:

I read somewhere that SoS has poor frame rate. Is this true?

There's one area that has some slowdown, but it's not any slower than ANB.

Shirec posted:

Random question, but with SoS, so many of the villagers won't talk to you if they are working. How is everyone handling that? Like restaurant guy, I can't figure out how I want to handle my day to day run around to everyone schedule.

I find that restaurant guy leaves his shop pretty often. idk because I'm waiting for the landscaper, but I think you can just wait until they're after hours.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

DisposableHero posted:

Jumped into SoS but I really don't know what's going on not having played HM or similar games before. Is it normal to only be able to accomplish a couple small things at the beginning? Do I get more stamina or just better tools? Making money seems pretty difficult at least at the beginning.

You make better tools over time. I don't think this game has upgradable stamina though.

Does anyone know what that section in the middle of the mountain area that's blocked off by trees and boulders is? I sometimes see weeds and stuff in there, so I feel like I should be able to get in there somehow. Maybe that's where the Harvest Goddess is? I've seen the "Nature" Sprites, but not their annoying leader.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

It seems chicks have two stages of growing in this game. Mine just grew into a smaller adult-looking chicken, but she isn't laying eggs yet.

In other news, mushrooms and honey, here I come.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Met posted:

Do bugs and frogs have any cooking use? I know bugs make a decent gift for people in the early game but I collect every one I see so I have quite the stockpile.

Bees have use in beekeeping but other than that they're mostly just worth selling them or gifting them.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Incidentally, what is the bonus for planting crops that match a fields theme? I haven't noticed a star quality increase or a faster growing time.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

LLSix posted:

This is not entirely true. I got my cow on the day the tutorial ended and was too cheap to buy fodder. I just pushed the cow outside and it has been giving me milk everyday without eating anything. I'm tempted to leave it outside forever.

Check its stress level. I once left my chickens out accidentally and they got stressed from not being feed and didn't lay because they weren't in the coop.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Well, the Japanese dude is cute. With the bonus of not looking 10. *stares at SOS bachelors*

Anyone translated the description of the marriage candidates yet?

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Ciaphas posted:

If I'm only kind of sort of getting into Rune Factory 4 my odds of getting into this new fangled PC game are pretty slim, right

From the 30 minutes of gameplay I saw, it seemed more classic Harvest Moon than Rune Factory.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

This stupid plant in the lava dungeon of RF4 is kicking my rear end. I guess it's because I don't have party members, but it still feels bad.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

cheetah7071 posted:

Is this also the thread for Story of Seasons since it's the same game or does that have its own thread I can't find? Because I just played it for 13 hours almost straight on an exceptionally long flight

Yeah, this is also the thread for SoS.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

cheetah7071 posted:

In that case, is there something I'm not getting about the stamina economy? My ability to acquire land is vastly outstripping my ability to water it every day, even with an early copper water bucket through lucky copper drops from fishing

Eat food. Buying food from the restaurant also unlocks recipes, so it's a good idea. Eventually you'll be able to make a jewelry combo that restores stamina, but the blueprints don't unlock until Year 2.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

poo poo! I'm dumb. I figured Original was The Way It's Meant to Be Played, and the "seedling" name was a jab at my pride, but if all it does is reduce the grind...

It's called original because it's the bullshit way the game originally was and Japanese gamers complained about. Seedling is far better if you enjoy having fun when playing your anime farming games.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

It's nice to know that people at Xseed at least want same sex marriage candidates.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

I like that you can skip all the tutorial if you want to and that mining unlocks in Spring Year 1.

I don't like that the female farmer's run animation feels weird to me and that we went back to having to make fields before you can plow.

But overall, a good time.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Zoo06 posted:

All I've found are soft treats that raise affection and spicy feed that says it raises coat quality. I'm only about halfway through summer, though.

Win your first Animal Festival.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Marrying Ludus because so far he seems to be best boy, though I was pleasantly surprised by there being more than one likable marriage candidate of either gender this time.

Thinking either Ford or Inari next, depending if I finish this playthrough before or after the DLC comes out.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

54 40 or gently caress posted:

More Friends of Mineral Town is my favourite. It's got the classic simplicity but solid structure that sort of set my standards for what a Harvest Moon game should be.

MFoMT was the very first game I picked out for myself off of a Best Buy shelf (based off of nothing else other than recognizing the name from a review of the PS2 port of A Wonderful Life in my brother's PS2 magazine) and it is both the only old HM game I regularly go back to and the reason I love this series so much.

(I married Rick because he had glasses like me. 9 year old me had poo poo taste.)

(I almost gave up on the series because child me hated DS so much. I didn't buy another HM game until ToTT.)

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

The new events are all very :3:.

8 bux well spent honestly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Tired Moritz posted:

I think at some point you can just buy fruits then ship it to count

No they thought of this and what counts is the act of harvesting the fruit.

I hit the fourth link at year 2 fall 1 after my sheep hit S rank product quality. Wool + doesn’t count.

I now have an extra sheep until I manage to get 30 wool from it and barely talk to my husband because I hate having to deal with the prompt every time. :(

(I also have a shitton of trees growing in the greenhouse.)

• Locked thread