Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!
I used to love the poo poo out of Harvest Moon, but the first DS one about Islands and then Rune Factory 2 just kind of killed the series for me. Islands was utter and complete poo poo, and Rune Factory 2 just got way too tedious and was too similar to the first. I can't believe there are now 3 recent Harvest Moon games that I've never played, but looking at them I still feel very little desire to try them. Have any of them updated the formula enough to be worth a try?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

Scooty Puff Jr. posted:

Yes, Twin Villages! Alpacas, motherfucker! I'm pumped.

The last one I played was sunshine islands, but inevitably play slowed down during winter and I got bogged down with school. (Which is too bad because it has some FINE ladies.)

Has anyone played the latest wii version? I think it's called 'Tree of Tranquility'?

I haven't played the latest, but I really liked Tree of Tranquility. Like every Harvest Moon since Back to Nature I didn't actually finish it, but that's just because I don't have the patience for long games anymore. I probably spent more time playing it than any other Harvest Moon except BtN though.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I'd honestly just start with the SNES game. It's the first, it was released before feature creep started kicking in and adding in lots of unnecessary stuff, it's really well done, and a great way to start playing the series and see why people got excited about it in the first place.

edit: And after that I haven't played it, but I've seen really high praise for Harvest Moon: A Wonderful Life for the Gamecube and PS2.

A Wonderful Life was the first HM game I actually regretted purchasing and traded in. It was just terrible.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

That's strange. I have no experience with the game myself, but the few HM fans I've talked to said it was their favorite. What didn't you like about it?

Well, they had this poo poo with splicing seeds to level them up or something, I don't remember exactly, but the moment you got that ability the game was completely broken. You could make so much money in one season that you'd never need to do anything again. Not using that ability wasn't really an option, because you couldn't make poo poo for money without it.

The map was tiny and as I recall, there were no calendar events whatsoever. It was when I spent probably 60 in-game days in a row just going to sleep immediately that it struck me I was playing a really poorly made game. There was something wrong with the actual farming as I recall too, instead of having a nice big field to work on you had a bunch of tiny little areas and it just rubbed me wrong.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

So, if I were going to get one of the following which should it be?

Tale of Two Towns (I have a 3DS, so either version)
Rune Factory 3
Hero of Leaf Valley
Grand Bazaar

I'm not too sure about RF3, I thought the first 2 were OK at best and the dungeon stuff is far less interesting to me than farming and anime wives, but I've heard a lot of good things about this one. I definitely only have time/patience for one Harvest Moon game though, so I'd like to play the best of this lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

So what do you guys think about Story of Seasons now that it's been out a bit? I used to play every Harvest Moon without fail but somewhere around the Wii version I started to get bored and haven't really played any of them over the last few years. I think I tried a new beginning but didn't make it through the first season before stopping.

• Locked thread