Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Someone needs to stop this! Sherman has lost his mind! Peyton is completely unable to defend himself out there!
I've been a big fan of HM games for a long time, but havent played one since the Wii Rune Factory (which I hated, mostly because it ended up being really grindy). Whats the current 'best' Harvest Moon game kickin around? I havent kept up with releases at all, but I do have a DS and Wii.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Someone needs to stop this! Sherman has lost his mind! Peyton is completely unable to defend himself out there!

I Watson posted:

I am genuinely glad that those who have TLV are finding ways to enjoy it. I was bracing myself for another Hometown Story so held off on buying it until it got the Harvest Goon seal of approval. It makes me wonder what Natsume's plans with the DLC are exactly, outside of their hint at making more of the villagers marrigable.

In other news, since Forbidden Magna is apparently hot garbage that had to have some of the suck patched out already, I wonder if Marvelous is going to go ahead and shake out a Rune Factory title next.

I'm really having a hard time enjoying it. Everything about it feels so cheap and lifeless. I'm just kind putzin through the days, never getting any better at anything but my meaningless numbers are going up. I threw my copy up on eBay to see if I can't recoup the cost, maybe it'll grow on me after another week.

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

I Watson posted:

What do you dislike the most about the game? I'd like to hear more of your opinions on it.

Mostly that it just feels very dead. I dont feel any real motivation to do anything. I can make more money, but there's nothing worth buying. There's no silly town to poke around, no festivals to participate in, no reason to grow/craft foods etc. They stripped away too much so all that's left is a clunky version of Minecraft where you can farm additional crops and plunk down pre-fab buildings.

I'm also not a huge fan of the dialog setup, especially for things like taking your livestock out. Sure, its only a 10 second cut scene, but you're treated to the same obnoxious scene twice a day. It gets really old really fast. It just feels like they stepped away from streamlining some of the tedious bits out.

This series really lends itself to more complexity, not less. TLV feels like it was designed for a caricature of an American video game player.

From the moment I first started it up, after buying it sight unseen it felt like a hollow shell of a HM game. I only learned about all the development changes today, and it really explained every issue I have with the game.

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Flynn Taggart posted:

I just got spring back but it's still loving snowing :(

You probably rolled over into summer. Since you dont have the summer poo poo yet, you're stuck in winter.

It is bad and dumb.

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Patware posted:

You can?

God

drat it

This game I already played all the way through has too many loving mechanics.

The crafting gets pretty absurd if you want 'perfect' equipment. RF4 is pretty great.

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Tired Moritz posted:

harvest moon/story of seasons is so boring after rune factory.

I'm having this same problem. I really enjoyed the series, in spite of the ANIME, but I can't even play Story of Seasons after playing the RF series. It's like I'm only playing half a game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

LLSix posted:

It's called Stardew Valley. Good farming with decent fighting and its on most consoles now.

Stardew Valley is fantastic, but it lacks the insane min-maxing that was available in Rune Factory. I crave huge numbers and broken combat.

• Locked thread