Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

I found that my RP troubles went away when I maxed out crafting and forging. The easiest way to do both of those is use 1 iron to make a broadsword or a shield, for whichever skill you want to upgrade, and then shove turnip seeds in it. Upgrading gives the same amount of xp regardless of what you're stuffing in there. Maxing those two out too me from 2100rp at level 200ish and overall kinda lovely skills, to over 3500rp with similarly lovely skills.

It is worth your while to take a buddy with you wherever you go, and to find whatever they trigger the treasure chest thought bubble on. That levels a skill that causes treasure chests to apparently give higher level gear. That's how I got a 7500atk weapon at level 90 in a field dungeon with lovely crafting skill. Things got much, much easier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

I just got SoS, and I've only played Rune Factory 4 in this sort of game genre before. My main question is, which of the female marriage candidates is the least horrible? Like there's always a stuck up one, there's the 10 year old in a 25 year old body, the excessively obnoxious one, etc. Which one is least lovely, personality wise? I already met Elise, and she's out just for being super arrogant.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

AngryRobotsInc posted:

The RNG in this game is mean. I needed gold, and it was spitting pink diamonds and philosopher stones out all the time. Which would be seriously cool! But I really needed gold and could not get the stuff to drop.

I'm still in Fall 1, desperate for iron, and I sure do have a lot of silver. Got this fancy silver watering can, and an old milker that makes me feel weird when I use it.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

SC Bracer posted:

you can buy iron from the silk trader from the beginning of the game. It's not even that expensive.

How the gently caress have I missed that for this long. I feel so, so dumb. Oh well, I'm perpetually out of money anyways.

I read a rumor that the mining spot in the Safari produces better stuff if you leave it alone for a bit? It's been cranking out maybe 1 gem and nothing but rocks for a few days, when I first hit it I got a ton of gems. Should I leave it be for a week or so?

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

LLSix posted:

Bred animals keep the personality of their parent.

My active cow has max hearts in Fall 1, my cowardly cow has ~2 hearts over the same time frame.

Active cows like going outside everyday. I have no idea what cowardly animals want.

My first hatched chicken turned into a coward, when the parent was level-headed. At least, I'm pretty sure it was from an egg I harvested, rather than was rewarded.

Are there any sound based "hints" in this game? Like if you walk into a screen a jingle plays if something special is going on? I've been playing with the sound off because, after Fantasy Life, the music in this is pretty terrible, and the constant mooing when I'm brushing everyone gets tiresome.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

Is there an IRC for this so I can ask more questions as I think of them instead of forgetting them by the time I remember this thread exists?

Edit: Also I got a Mystery Seed. Does the text on it give a clue what it will be, or is it random between the mushroom, flower, and star?

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

What is the point of Witchie?

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

Yeah if you got just one turnip instead of a huge stack, you need to hoe some weeds or corn or clover into your plots to heal up that dirt. Using a lot of growth formulas really wrecks it, so it's a good idea keep the health up. If you really want to min/max a field, plant apple trees, 2 per section so you can actually reach them, and harvest them until everything says at least 16 when you check it with a magnifying glass. It'll take awhile to get an entire screen to that point, but man the stuff you can grow once you do.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

Can you grow flowers off season? Blue Rose seeds didn't show up until late Winter and I don't want to waste the seeds if they're just going to wilt.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

I'm considering building a barn just for my horse so he gets the gently caress out of the way while I'm trying to take care of my cows and sheep. I get it, you like me, loving MOVE.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

Unhappy Meal posted:

The Tri. Ring pattern for Small is time locked for Spring Year 2. While buying the blue pearls for one of the items in middle are time locked for Fall Year 2. :toot:

I'm still in Spring 2 and blue pearls are on one of my vendors. That's how I got the middle regen set. I think you just need to ship more through that vendor or one of the others, since a few of them have stuff based on how much you've sent through a different one.

As a side note, the gold cloth shuffle is hilariously broken for getting money.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It'd be real nice if Y not only put away your tool, but also reequipped the last tool you put away. After smashing too many branches in RF4 and losing some wood, I habitually pick up stuff probably sooner than I should so it doesn't despawn, and getting the tools back out over and over gets a little old.

The medium regen set is pretty drat amazing. I was going from having to eat by the time I'd finished watering, before even going into the barn, then eating again after leaving the barn, to never eating unless I remember that it's almost 2100, or if I'm in town and the restaurant is open.

I'm unclear on the edit combinations. A few lists I've seen for the town edits say they need "Plaza 11 spaces" or "Plaza 3 spaces". What does that mean, exactly? I haven't made any stuff to put into the town plazas yet.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

TurnipFritter posted:

Apparently it means you have to have those combos out on that many different plaza spaces. Which, given how little of an effect they have, it seems like kind of waste unless you really like those object designs.

I think for the "Items ship for more with this vendor" they'd need to, like, go 10G -> 20G -> 50G instead. Even that's gonna pale before the power of Golden Linen Thread, but it'd still put an appreciable difference on crops and cooking.

That seems kinda pointless considering the bonuses, then. Guess I'll just stick with the water combo with the diving combo, and whatever else I can fit once I actually get the drat gold I need to build a cheese shack. Considering how much of that poo poo you need, it is annoyingly uncommon without save scumming.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

Pretty sure this game knows when you're gonna go for it with a girlfriend because it's either raining, a festival, or Iris is just not in town every drat time I try to do the thang.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

Holy poo poo I had no idea the fashion festival was that complex. Also, it explains why I stopped getting silver from mining. Guess I need to go smack that thing every day with a lovely hammer.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

I am irrationally irritated that grapes grow on trees.

Also, every time I give Dessie a mushroom pie I want to throw up, because even fish ice cream sounds more appetizing than that.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

The White Dragon posted:

I dunno, couldn't it be like a meat pie type thing, except with mushrooms? Milk-based filling, some other miscellaneous vegetables... could be really good.

I really, really don't like mushrooms, which contributes to it, I think.

Does anyone know if the double watering edit combo works inside a greenhouse, to effectively negate its downside of only being able to water once a day?

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

There are some really disgusting sounding recipes, for sure. I'm pretty sure milk salad is supposed to be cole slaw, though, based on the description.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

Klaus just told me to make sure I teach rabbits about stranger danger.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

Can I leave the Nintendo crops unharvested for a few days without worrying? I planted them at a mildly stupid time in Winter, and would rather use them in Spring, but they're going to sprout a few days before the season changes.

Do you get your crops back for the Harvest festivals? I messed up and didn't make any flax seeds once I hit 5 stars, and only have 1 left that I was going to use in the festival to raise the brand, but I'd rather not have to start all over with raising the levels.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

Toriori posted:

after buying something from sakura country the vendor mentioned something about appreciating my business and having a gift or an animal for me but to talk next time. So today I go to the counter and nothing, anyone familiar with this?

Have you built the Enormous Tree in the safari area? I'm pretty sure that has to be built before you get that animal. Once you do, you'll get it when you walk in. If you rode your horse right there, it doesn't trigger.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

LLSix posted:

Nice. Come to think of it, I had a lot of milk dishes too. Risotto is pretty fun to make.

It seems like you should always do the full course contest because of the cooking brand boost.

Full course seems easier to win, as well. First year, getting a single 5 star with the rest 1 to 1.5 stars was enough. By the second year, enough stuff had improved that, even though they weren't complex recipes, a couple 5 stars and the rest 2 to 3 stars was enough. I'm betting by the year 3 contest I may have to reload to try different recipes, but I doubt I'd get lower than second on my first shot.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

LLSix posted:

I love the mushroom mystery seeds. They're great for being seasonal fruit the first year when most trees don't unlock in time. I also have most of my field planted with a mix of hard and softwood trees, so my farm looks like a forest and you can't even see the ground after picking one of the mystery mushrooms. Its wonderful.

Year chat - I am impressed by all you folks who make it through multiple years. How late do you usually stay up? I'm usually working right up to midnight and I doubt I'll put in the 60+ more hours it would take to get me to year 3. I'm only in winter 1 right now and I'll be pretty happy if I make it to year 2.

I'm in Spring 3, married to Iris and she's pregnant (and her brother just asked me if I'm settling into the town okay. I've been here over 2 years and banged your sister, I'm cool) just unlocked goats, and I'm slogging through Tropical unlocks by drying out grass and running a sweet potato/tomato growing farm in greenhouses to cook. I stay up until about 20:00 if I'm meticulous about doing everything for every animal, of which I have no more than two of each type, or as early as 16:00 if I just take care of the ones who aren't max hearts and treats or there's nothing to harvest. If it's raining, I can be done by 14:00. I have every field except leafy and paddy, because that buttwipe Fritz sold like 400 different types of stuff in that challenge.

You might try planting less stuff, or upgrading your watering can. A larger can speeds up your daily stuff a whole lot. A top level axe, on seedling, also knocks down fully grown trees in 2 extremely fast hits. Every single philosopher's item has a hilarious description, as well. Especially the brush.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

I have two dogs that take care of all my animal grazing. Getting fences around the chickens is important because those bastards really like to wander. Also don't put the rabbit feeder and the chicken feeder too close to the doors, because they like to get logjammed and not everyone makes it outside. I have 2 plots of grass outside my barns so they can't run out during the day, which I harvest each night to add more to the dried grass empire. I'm using my greenhouses for off season fast growing cookables, like turnips, radishes, tomatoes, etc. to help me get the last 4k cooked goods I need. It'd be nice if there was a tea recipe that only took leaves, since I have so many.

I use the majority of the southern section of my main farm for Mario-boosting in season stuff that I either need a lot of or need to improve the quality of. I use the western section of the farm for my maker sheds, 1 of each fruit tree that I have so far, my ponds for the watering combo, and a massive field of grass. I'm going to be putting the pottery shed away, filling up more space with the seed maker combo, and once I get enough dried grass, I'll be moving my barns, coops, greenhouses, and pet house over there and use it as an industrial zone.

I hit the bees/shrooms, tall crops, flower, and root field every day. I'm about to annihilate everyone in total number of items shipped with 4 days worth of dried goods, gold and silver goat hair cloth that is sold for less than it vendors, several hundred fried eggs and turnip salads, with a side order of milk salad, and whatever else I can find so I can get the leafy field and get better cabbage returns. I'm already married to Iris, but I'll be damned if I'm going to cook sub-par borscht for dinner. I'm less than a month from FINALLY getting the paddy field.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

TurnipFritter posted:

Would y'all consider me a monster if I sold Hanako? I just... don't have a use for a normal cow anymore. It's the beginning of year 3, so a lot of new animals are gonna be available, and I've got to cut down somewhere, you know? I think my normal Wool sheep might be on the chopping block too. The horse would go if I didn't need fast travel, and at the very least I need to see if I can move animals from one barn to another because lord I can't deal with a horse and two alpacas in the same barn.

This year's fashion show might be a disaster because they're asking for elegant yellow spring/summer wear, and I'm not sure I have anything that fits the bill.

You need regular milk to make some cheese, you monster.

Your best bet might be the Yellow Halter Top if you have it, or the Brown Tailored Jacket. Looks like it comes from Summer Pattern Set #6, which is Wheat Country right from the start as far as I can tell. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1v4TtryrVU9JlZc4DHR20TRdLN9RUgkNAyZI3PAwsXZU/edit#gid=689471162 will trivialize the fashion show.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

TurnipFritter posted:

I haven't seen one.

If the next Anime Farming Game keeps the home customization, I sure hope they expand on it a little bit, like letting you move the beds/dining tables around and letting you put stuff on tables. What's the point of having one those iddy bitty potted plants when it's just gonna sit down on the floor, and what's the point of having a coffee table if you can't set anything on it? It'd also be nice if 99% of the wallpapers weren't really tacky.

Yeah I switched to the white wallpaper because the default wooden walls were too oppressive, but the other floors are garish as hell so I've left it alone. Also why the hell does wood floor take yarn?

I'm getting to the point where I want to start getting + items from doing the safari, but I don't want to take care of that many animals. 4 cows, 2 sheep, 3 alpacas, and a goat is already taking too much of my time, even if I don't have to give treats to 4 of them. I did learn that baby animals get stressed out if their parent/adult of their type gets left in the barn and they're outside, though. The dog taking care of my barns is a shiba inu and he is the laziest loving doge.

Is there any benefit to higher star grass? I'm fairly certain the only way to get it is a boosted seed maker, which I just got the combo for but haven't had a chance to make more seeds. I know higher star grass sells for more, but 3g vs 1g isn't really a big selling point.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

I unlocked Tropical Country! It was super tedious, but I did it!

And then the game crashed before I saved, and I lost 3 days.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

Klaus is so easy to get friendship with I'm pretty sure he loved me before my wife did.

When do my kids stop being burritos left on a bed, alone in a house all day because Iris keeps leaving while I'm farming? And what is it that unlocks golden crops? And can anyone spot me like, 80 iron?

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

Turtlicious posted:

I read the OP and I'm playing Rune Factory 4, I'm not sure what to do because apparently there is a thing to do in the water temple, but IDK what it is, also I want to make more money, but I don't know what sells best, nor do I know how to balance sickling and harvesting.

ALSO!

This is my first harvest moon game, and I like the dungeon bits to break up the whole "being a farmer" thing." I really enjoy it.

I just restarted RF4 because SoS lost some appeal after I unlocked Tropical Country. If you've beaten the horse in the water temple, you need to head to the left from the main room. If you haven't beaten the horse, you need to head right from the main room.

Don't worry too much about money at first. What you'll be stopped by is material wood and stone. Either leave a part of your field unplowed, or visit the summer/spring/autumn/winter fields and leave them unplowed, because they'll have a bunch of rocks and wood to smash every day or two.

Make sure you buy a fridge from that horrible monster thing in the restaurant so you can actually put your crops away.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

Yeah that brightness change annoys me to no end. I play in bed and don't want to be blinded, but then I play where there's light and have to adjust it back. Just move it back to the top!

Turtlicious posted:

I read the OP and I'm playing Rune Factory 4, I'm not sure what to do because apparently there is a thing to do in the water temple, but IDK what it is, also I want to make more money, but I don't know what sells best, nor do I know how to balance sickling and harvesting.

ALSO!

This is my first harvest moon game, and I like the dungeon bits to break up the whole "being a farmer" thing." I really enjoy it.

I just remembered something that is also helpful. Upgrading items gives the same experience regardless of what you're upgrading and what you're using to upgrade it. To easily avoid all the tedious bullshit with skilling up crafting and forging, which can take forever if you just make stuff randomly, buy a buttload of turnip seeds. You can make a broadsword (short sword) for 1 iron, which is common as hell, and stuff 9 seeds into it. This will get you about 1 level per sword, no matter your skill. This is a godsend when you want to get new farming tools but you found some awesome weapon drop and slacked behind on forging.

Recipes you can learn are tied to your skill with that item. If you want knew fists, start punching stuff. If you want new staves, use them. Smacking higher level stuff with lower level stuff increases your skill faster, and there are accessories you can make that increase your skill rate. There's also an accessory combo you can make by making an item, using it to make another item, using it to make ANOTHER item, and all the bonuses stack. I can't remember it, but there's a wiki somewhere that will tell you how to do it. It's pretty worth it if you decide to do some end game farming/Sharance Maze.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

Aerofallosov posted:

I like that my goat now does a happy dance when he gets a treat.

Yeah the little happy dances animals do when they really like you are pretty cute. The first time my chicken did his little wobble I thought I'd given him the wrong treat and he was going to barf. Then the alpacas start doing their hop in place thing and it's just adorable. Do cows do anything other than non-stop mooing?

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

DoubleDonut posted:

But everyone knows we'd all rather marry Illuminata

You kid, but she'd be my first pick if I could. Hell, my first pick was Veronica in SoS, as well. They keep managing to make the people I like the most not bangable.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

Sage Grimm posted:

Well you could marry as Frey but only if you've started as a guy and then switched bodies via Prince Points.

I tried that but the nipple tassels were too weird. Why are they there?

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

LLSix posted:

Can anyone recommend a good guide to getting started in Fantasy Life? I picked it up as something to do on a 16h trip.

Paladin is a safe combat option to start with. Hunter does more damage. Mercenary does even more damage but gets beat up more. Mage sucks.

Unlock all the crafting and gathering lives asap, so you can work on them all. In fact, unlock all the lives, because some of them let you double dip on challenges.

Getting to Master in most of the classes will require some work from other classes, or spending money. Making stuff and selling it makes a shitload of money. Like, an insane amount. If you're broke, make some poo poo and sell it.

The DLC is worth it if you like the game, and getting it early gives you a teeny tiny leg up on 1 small aspect of the game, otherwise you can sorta leave it alone.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

Trebuchet King posted:

wait, wizard sucks?

goddamnit and i'm so close to the last tier of it.

Maybe I'll start a fat paladin.

It takes a shitload of energy to use so you're constantly drinking poo poo. The rest just let you beat poo poo up. It was the last combat class I got to Creator rank.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

Foxhound posted:

Ugh I can't get any marriage event or Memories to trigger in RF4. Been stuck grinding Leon Kharnak and Field Dungeons for two seasons now. :argh:

I'm in the exact same spot. I can't make pineapple juice even without the recipe, I can't get into Rune Prana, but I'm not quite strong enough to mess with Sharance very much. And I swear, every event involves Kiel. Go away, Kiel.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

mushroom_spore posted:

Oh hey, a farming sim thread! I've been playing Rune Factory 4 and it's so cute. :3:

Just got my third field. Kinda tempted to leave it empty for critters to slowly add to my material and compost reserves, but I'm not sure how useful that actually is. I just hate having to track down huge amounts of mats when I need them.

Will monsters plink away at twinkle trees/dungeon flowers like they will with stumps and rocks? If I could fill a field with those and just restore the crops' hp once in a while, that'd be awesome. (Not that I have dungeon seeds yet, but I can get on that.)

Pretty sure monsters leave trees alone. Honestly if you just want a lot of wood/stone, twinkle trees and dungeon flowers are your way to go. Grow a bunch of corn or clover, smash em until they're low, heal them back up, repeat. You'll never run out. It's tedious, but this IS a farming game.

I still can't get Memories to trigger. I have Dylas and Amber in my party, but Dylas leaves every morning. He doesn't start an event, he just leaves. It's getting real old.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

I was clearing out some space to let my first golden turnip seed grow faster by not harvesting that section every day. I accidentally scythed the turnip. It was 90% grown. I decided to reload, since it was only a day before. Doing so triggered Memories! Now I have my best friend Death Wall in my barn, ready to rip the poo poo out of anything that doesn't absorb water. Also I guess Venti is back, too.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

A personal favorite boss to tame is Death Wall. Throw ice cream at it until it loves you, have a floating murder face that seriously WRECKS poo poo, including the final boss of the story, without breaking a sweat. Don't get Marionette, it disables enemies in a way that you can't hit them until they wake up and makes fights take a lot longer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

Yorkshire Tea posted:

Oooh, whoops. Well I guess I can stop getting angry about flower fields now. But goddamn I hate that like 120 day lease on the tree field, I have like 3.5* peach seeds, I want to be able to plant them where they'll be most profitable!

Edit: Holy poo poo my flax fields are worth 270k per harvest? Christ on a bike.

Turn flax into golden cloth and never worry about money again. Also, if you weren't aware, if you put in a stack of 30, it'll take forever to complete. However, if you put in 30 stacks of 1, they'll all run at the same time and finish faster.

Eventually the countries will start selling cloth as well, and if you've won festivals related to that cloth, it gets the value boost when you sell it back, making it slightly profitable to buy cloth and sell it right back.

• Locked thread