Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I picked up A New Beginning this weekend, because it seemed like a less finicky/better reviewed/more recent version of the concept that Island of Happiness was going for with the community starting off very small and then building over time. In some of the other games I feel like it's been hard to figure out who everyone is and where I can find them right out the gate (I have terrible visual memory and direction sense), so starting off small seemed like a good way to manage that, though the days are long enough in this one that it maybe wouldn't have mattered if the city had been fully populated from the start anyway.

Despite wanting a somewhat slower start, I found myself agreeing with the criticisms of how glacial the first season felt. Before I decided to just sleep when there was nothing to do, I was doing multiple foraging loops a day, which got tedious really fast. I guess getting a cow ended up being a bit of a time sink, because manually pushing it in and out of the barn is slow as gently caress.

I'm up to summer now, and got trolled by the game because the first day of summer is on a day when the general store's closed and I can't get any new seeds to plant. Slow start aside (which should be a lot better at this point now that the town building stuff is available), I'm having fun, and am looking forward to things continuing to open up from here. I probably (definitely) should have just bought the new game though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread