Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I'd honestly just start with the SNES game. It's the first, it was released before feature creep started kicking in and adding in lots of unnecessary stuff, it's really well done, and a great way to start playing the series and see why people got excited about it in the first place.

edit: And after that I haven't played it, but I've seen really high praise for Harvest Moon: A Wonderful Life for the Gamecube and PS2.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Aug 10, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I have another question, I want to play some Harvest Moon on my PSP. Should I just rip and play the PS1 version of Back to Nature on it, or should I get the Harvest Moon: Boy & Girl port? Or should I get this new leaf valley game?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Adam Bowen posted:

A Wonderful Life was the first HM game I actually regretted purchasing and traded in. It was just terrible.

That's strange. I have no experience with the game myself, but the few HM fans I've talked to said it was their favorite. What didn't you like about it?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

So, anyone out there play the japanese version of Grand Bazaar and have any impressions? I haven't bought a new HM game in forever and I wonder what I'd be getting myself into if I got this one.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Back to Nature had the nature spirits or whatever they were called and there were 8 of them, and you could befriend them and get them to water your crops, tend to your livestock, etc.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Can someone explain to me why in the year 2010 we're still restricted to 6 character names?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Oh, and another thing, I guess it's perfectly OK to walk all over your crops now. Running on them can decrease their value, but walking on them is just fine. Just fill up entire fields, now.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Zenzirouj posted:

Are you sure? It sounded like the mayor meant stepping on them at all would decrease their quality.

Positive. Press L to toggle it, they'll turn red and make the crunch sound when running, but don't when walking.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Corridor posted:

That sounds expensive.

It balances out. The only difference is that you're dealing with smaller fields overall.

Grand Bazaar seems really neat so far. Lots of little differences, a few big differences, and it's pretty refreshing and not horribly broken. Probably the best HM game on the DS so far.

edit: Dumb question, how do I talk to my chickens? I can pick them up and get the bonus for that, but I can't figure out how to talk to them, so they end up pretty stressed out sometimes.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Aug 28, 2010

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Another stupid question: how do I prepare tea? It's the tea festival and doing anything with tea in the kitchen isn't working.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Revol posted:

From the FOGU forums:

A good fishing spot is the one in front of the cafe... most fish there can be cooked and sold for more money.

Also, you have a chance of a fishing pole to reach further than it should be (meaning, higher quality fish) on very windy days. One forum poster made almost 8000 thanks to a stormy day.

Supposedly, the following things will GIVE you stamina (they only work once a day):

* Fill your watering can (I can vouch for this one)
* Look at the vase full of flowers
* Bounce on a barrel
* Bounce on a cow repeatedly
* Catch a new type of bug
* Throw an item perfectly into the basket
* First item found in the river
* Catch a new record length fish
* Pick up one of your chickens

And another hint from me: perhaps you should buy a cow sooner than later! I think I got my Bessie around the third or fourth week of Spring. By the time the Cow Festival came around, Bessie was fully grown and had three hearts. She won the festival, which netted me a Mithril rock and a bonus of five more friendship hearts! I got a huge boost in milk quality out of her now.

Cows never showed up for me until summer, I guess the RNG screwed me over. I shouldn't feel too bad, in the second week of the first spring I randomly decided to jump into the river to see what that would do and found a chunk of gold that I sold for 8000G. A million jumps later and the best I got was ore rock with copper.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Dimix posted:

What is the third symbol on the examine animals screen, after the talk and pet symbols?

I'm guessing that it means the animal produced eggs/milk that day but it also looks like a medicine bottle and that worries me.

No, it's the eggs/milk thing. If they're sick, there will be a different symbol shaped like a skull that pops up.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I've been using my milk on cheesecakes, I wonder if there's anything better I could be making with it. Seems like it's better than just selling raw eggs and milk.

I really should have bought a cooking utensil at the last bazaar, I feel stupid for not doing so. Which one offers the best early game recipes? Also loving Chen didn't have carrot seeds this time and I didn't want to fill both fields with nothing but re-harvestables but I can't find anything good to do with carrots so maybe I should have.

Also what the hell do you do with Yams? There's a "complete" recipe list on the fogu forums that doesn't even mention yams, and they sell for poo poo money.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

The storage you get is ample enough, I kind of like the bazaar mechanic. If you still need to sell stuff for a quick buck at the local store, you can, but using a bazaar instead of a shipping bin is a neat idea and a nice change of pace from virtually every other HM game ever.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Revol posted:

So where is everybody at in Grand Bazaar? I just reached year two. I've got four cows (Bessie is at full hearts churning out 5 star milk), a chicken, three dogs and two fields with four trees. Freya is at a green heart.

And no furrows. Upgrading the hoe makes it plow more squares. Although this time, the first upgrade, when you jump (which increases upgrade effectiveness in hoe and water can), it plows a four square shape of an upside down T.. you know, like that Tetris block?

I'm still partway through year 1 fall, I have 2 adult cows, 2 baby cows, 4 chickens, a cat, two fields and with 3 trees, freya is at purple heart. My last bazaar I made 35,000 G, almost to the goal, but this next one is going to be weak because part of my field is unused. I was afraid I was dragging my feet but I guess I'm doing decent.

Also, I wouldn't do the jumping special moves with your hoe or watering can unless you're really pressed for time. They sap way too much stamina, much more than if you would water/plow the same amount normally.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Maybe I'll chop down my peach tree and plant a tea tree in its place. I already have one, but I'm thinking that they'll be a pretty big cash cow, and I should plant more.

I don't have my DS handy, what seasons can you harvest from a tea tree?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

king of no pants posted:

So if I come into some windfall and pick up a DS, is there a consensus on which title I should pick up first?

I would just try out Rune Factory 2 and Grand Bazaar. Which one first is up to preference, Rune Factory 2 has some action RPG parts to it while Grand Bazaar is the traditional harvest moon type game.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

FredMSloniker posted:

but if Rune Factory and Atelier Marie both suck...

I'm sorry.

I haven't actually played either, to be honest. But from every person who has played both RF games, RF2 is apparently much better. And I just really hate all of the Atelier games, and really every game Gust has ever made. So if it was me, I'd get something else, but it's not me.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I don't think there is, just spam it endlessly unless there's people buying something (which you should serve them and then start ringing again). It's completely random who takes notice of your bell and approaches your shop, so if there's a big crowd, ring it as many times as you can to get as many people in as possible.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Zenzirouj posted:

As for the contest, I don't think the complexity of dishes matters, just the star rating. I made a 4 star omelette (egg, milk, oil & probably the frying pan) and a 4 star yam dessert (yam, egg, butter). Freya is apparently a terrible cook :laugh:

One pretty decent way to make money in the fall is to catch the fast yellow dragonflies in the main town and at the hotel area. Both pacific and aegis dragonflies sell for more than a couple hundred gold each at the bazaar, so I use that to shore up my profits. During the two week no-bazaar period I ended up with about 15 of them and got at least 4000 off them alone.

I hope so, I'm betting on winning with Grilled Fish and Cheesecake, both being about 4 and a half stars.

Also for fall profit padding, dragonflies are decent, but so is Grilled Fish. The cafe dock's small fish are 100% willow gudgeon in fall, and I can make 4-4.5 star Grilled Fish with them that sell for decent money.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Anyone know off hand how much a Pink Brooch sells for? I managed to get the pink diamond by coming in 1st in both cooking festivals, but I don't know if I should just sell that or buy some of the required metal and make a pink brooch.

I'm certainly way too poor to give it as a gift.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

senae posted:

^^^^^^^
Sheets aren't all he spreads.:c00l:
He also spreads tears.:smith:

Boiled eggs sell for less then raw eggs. If you try to sell something at the town shop I think you'll get the price of a .5 star item, but don't quote me on that.

VVVVV
Save and at the start of the day try selling an uncooked and a cooked whatever, that should probably tell you, but the star bonus you get for cooking could bump the price up if it's close.

Raul's shop just gives you a straight 50% value. You still get benefits from higher star values, it'll just be exactly half of what you'll get from the bazaar.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

You have to be in the middle of the group to get the 3x3 effect, it waters all around you. It's not that useful and a pretty big stamina drain.

I dunno, I think the watering can upgrade is great. Getting a 1x3 row in one shot without having to jump and waste lots of stamina is a great advantage and time saver. Easily worth 15,000G.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Just started using the 3rd windmill, and I have some questions about grinding out some seeds. Do higher ranked crops produce more seeds, or am I really going to have to sacrifice half of my crops each harvest to keep on getting seeds? I guess that maybe it'll be worth it if it means having 5 star crops, right?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Revol posted:

I'm at the 21st of Summer in my second year, and I just got the basement greenhouse. Here's the deets:

• Same size plot as the others outside
  • You can only grow from one season at a time
  • You can choose which season by changing out the 'sun' in the sun machine
  • You have to buy the Summer and Fall suns from the bazaar
  • You CANNOT use fertilizer

So I'm in the Summer, just spent 100,000G on this basement, and I've got a Spring sun with no ability to buy Spring seeds right now. I won't be able to use this until atleast the next bazaar, as long as the Summer sun isn't too expensive.

What is the benefit from expanding your bazaar table size? It seems it would make sense if you have a lot of different items with large quanities. Right now I just have a shitload of tomatoes (well, tomato salads). After that, the largest item stack I might have are my milks. All four of my cows are churning out five stars now, so I'll have 28 5-star milks on bazaar days now.

Last week I did have, like, 30 tomato salads left over, while I started with 130.

You're better off having a more diverse selection, it seems. Not every type of buyer likes the same stuff, so having 90% of your stock be a single product just vastly limits the amount of buyers and you'll end up with unsold goods. I'd start making other stuff with those tomatoes as well. I'd say mixed salads, but I think those share the same customers with tomato salads so it wouldn't do much good.

A bigger goods table just lets you have a bigger range of goods and attracts more people at once, making it easier to get reputation, and plus it's just nicer to finish sooner.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Revol posted:

My prize cow has made the best third-tier milk at least twice. It might be a random thing.

Maybe Jersey Cows can make gold milk or whatever it's called more often than normal cows?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Wandering Knitter posted:

So can you buy grass seeds and grow fodder? Is it something that just pops up randomly during the bazaar?

I couldn't get my game to stop freezing, so I've restarted as a guy. I think I'm going to follow the rest of you and romance Freya. I'm even stocking up on butterflies to give her! :3:

You can MAKE grass seeds by combining fodder and fertilizer in the grinding windmill. I don't know what they're used for or if they regrow on their own, because I only sold them like a chump. (I was short on money, ok?)

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

A question about pet training, does repeated throws of the bell or bone actually do anything? Or do they only get 'experience' the first time when you see the heart bubble?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Zenzirouj posted:

It seems like you can do as much training as you want. There might be a hard cap at some point, but I've gotten level up animations after several hearts.

I've only ever seen one heart a day for throwing the bone/bell, though. Are you saying I should be seeing multiple?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Revol posted:

Anyone here with multiple dogs? If so, how do you train them? What with one maybe getting the bone more than the other..

I would just pick one up, carry it with me to the kitchen, and keep it busy by throwing the bone over and over again.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

That seems contrary to my experiences. I've gotten the cat to level up with an affection (heart symbol) boost, and the music notes play over the cat every time I put the bell in my bag or the bell gets knocked into another room. Does it get skill boosts every time there's the note, or only when there's a note after it's done playing forever? Also this level up was done after I put the bell in my bag when I took it from the cat forcefully, not after it got bored of it.

And another thing, it got the level up animation, and can carry two chickens a day now, but it's training level is still at 0 stars, but its friendship is one heart now. What gives?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Only tangentially related, but in Valkyria Chronicles 2 you can name your squad, but you're also only given 6 characters. That really pissed me off, especially after I complained about this game's limit here, so I just wrote in "Dongs" as my squad name and was done with it. I later found out the game has a large set of unlockable adjective prefixes for your squad name and noun suffixes. 30 seconds later and I'm now the head of the "Black Dongs Gang".

I'm a loving child.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Well, after playing around with it, it seems like both me and Corridor were a little right about training.

For cats, every single time they hit the bell they gain experience. You putting it in your pocket, or it flying out of the room or into the storage basket causes a friendship boost, and MAYBE a training boost. But I just saw my cat gain a training level in the middle of playing with the bell, so my theory seems likely.

With dogs, they gain experience every time they bring you back the bone, not just every fifth time. Every fifth time they gain a friendship boost in addition to the regular training boost.

What I've been doing with some success is bringing the cat up to the pasture above your house and tossing the bell out so it can play with it while you tend to the cows. Cats are nice because you don't need to be directly involved for it to train. It WILL get bored of the bell, but then you pick it up and throw it again, and it will be obsessed for a couple hours again. It also makes it easy to train the dog and cat at the same time.

I don't have more than one of each yet, but considering that the max training level allows them to handle 20 animals, I don't know if I'll ever have more than one of each.

ZebTM posted:

My biggest problem with Sunshine Islands was that it moved too drat fast. I got into the series on the leisurely pace of A Wonderful Life where I could spend a few hours on chores and then casually explore the town and talk to people and maybe get some mining or fishing done. The timing in Harvest Moon DS was acceptable to me however. How does Grand Bazaar stack up in that department?

Grand Bazaar moves one minute a second, which is pretty slow for a Harvest Moon game.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I THINK the normal fishing rod upgrades just give you higher ranking fish. Of course the length upgrades allow you to fish further out and catch better fish.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Fishylungs posted:

It's really weird, but I managed to snag a medium fish with my first pole for some reason after upgrading it. A little "!" pops up over my head when I get it out that far, I just don't know how I'm doing it.

It can happen during windy days, and stormy days are the best days to fish because of this.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

At 1 star it should be taking care of 3 chickens, actually. At least mine did. You only get a star for every two training levels gained. You just coincidentally got a friendship level at or near the same time as you got a training level.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Revol posted:

But I would always finish everything I wanted to do far before 5pm.

So would I, but then I found other poo poo to do. I fished more and started training my pets more.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Zenzirouj posted:

They actually get stressed if they're left outside overnight. It's about half the bar, so even if they fall asleep outside it's better to get the little bit of stress for waking them up to shove them inside; even though the angry cow noise is terrifying. And I rarely feel finished by 5, especially since I'll need to rewater the crops around 4.

A weather report would be useful, but pretty much the only time I've really wanted it is for making sure it won't rain on Friday, which has happened once. My animals went hungry that day. Speaking of, does fodder/feed take care of 2 animals per stack? I've always gotten one per animal, but it seems like there's always a good bit left over.

I think it's either 4 or 5 animals per feed/fodder.

And that friday thing is why I always have at least 10 of each in my storage.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Ka0 posted:

So you can experience the loss of an animal. This game teaches children the unsurmountable condition of life and death.

Being one of the few people in the world who have actually played it, I wanted to do a writeup on Shepherd's Crossing 2, but I guess I'm too lazy. But one of the crazy things about that bizarre game is that you butcher your own animals and eat them. One of the first things this weird girl does when you meet her is kill one of your geese it in front of you and cooks it.

What a weird HM-like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Wandering Knitter posted:

I've been meaning to make a whole topic just for Shepherd's Crossing 2, but real life keeps eating up my free time.

It's a great game to bust out when you're inbetween Harvest Moons. I like it because it slightly more realistic. Marriages are arranged, and instead of the plot being "Unlock the magical rainbows to cure the Harvest Goddess!" it's "Have enough food to live through the winter".

gently caress the cooking system, though. It's a pain in the rear end to use and most of the food is side dish only.

I don't know if it's really deserving of its own thread because to be honest it's not really all that good. There's some cool concepts, some really quirky and kinda fun ones (I was laughing pretty hard when I had an gaff with my fence and let all my geese out and was chasing them back and forth trying to get them back in my makeshift pen), and a lot of poorly implemented concepts. And it's just kind of dull after a while. There's nothing to really explore, and the village and villagers are mostly boring. It's an interesting game though, and one that Harvest Moon fans should at least be aware of.

• Locked thread