Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

How well do Magical Melody and A Wonderful Life run on the wii? Last time I visited home I was hoping to scratch an itch with them, but found the gamecube finally bit the dust. I was looking into getting a new one just for me, but the prices I'm seeing on amazon are kinda exorbitant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

Question about treats and livestock--fogu has the numerical breakdown for cows, but I'm wondering what I need to get my sheep and chickens more productive. I'm hoping I understand it correctly, too--once you give an animal x normal treats and y specific treats the number of items produced per "harvest" increase by one?

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

TurnipFritter posted:

Sheep/Chickens are 2 Treats, 29 Sheep/Chicken Treats. The other animals all have different breakdowns, and Gamefaqs has you covered, although it also spoils what all is in the game/when/how you unlock them so.

I wonder if it says more about me or the internet in this day and age that I totally forgot gamefaqs was even a thing.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

duz posted:

I did it with three of the crafted 20% bait and fished 7am-1am-ish. Should've gotten four since on the last half-day I just needed one more fish and didn't get it for six hours. You have to be willing to restart the event if you get a bad day.

I'm getting 2-3 stars on forage items that have stars, but have no idea if it's time, quantity or winning festivals that's upped the quality.

I'm under the impression your foraging ranking--I forget what specifically it's called but you get the title and all--has some effect as well.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

I just picked up RF4; is the ability to take an npc around with me based on time of day or do I have to unlock it somehow? Forte's joined up but Meg keeps saying maybe later.

Edit: derp, found it in the OP on a reread, sorry! Got distracted by all the crafting tips the first time.

Trebuchet King fucked around with this message at 21:29 on May 4, 2014

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

Speaking of monsters, are there any non-boss recommendations? I've got a couple regular chickens so far, and plot-wise I'm in what seems to be the fourth dungeon? A little squirrel just ran away with a thing of mine.

Also, can I upgrade the equipment of the villagers somehow, or give them extra copies of spells I end up with?

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

Hah, I have to admit I wasn't even thinking of chickens/sheep/cows as real monsters, those are a given. Once I get some more barns built I'm gonna try and get some cows/sheep, but most of my resources are going towards a fertilizer bin for the second field I just unlocked.

Does the bin need to be on the field to provide benefits or just on the same map?

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

There's a game mechanic confusing me...soil level? Apparently, I level up the soil by growing things in it. But re-using the soil too much is bad for it, the game says. How should I strike a balance?

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

What if it's trees that are in the low-HP soil?

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

Alrighty, cool! Turns out they make enough grapes per day I don't think it's a huge loss. Gives me an excuse to start working on ranking up my tree seeds to 10, anyways.

Actually, speaking of crop levels--does higher level corn heal the soil more? If so, is there any way to speed up the process reliably? I got lucky and found a level 10 potato somewhere so now the store sells level 10 potato seeds, but I can't imagine counting on that happening again.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

Oh nooooo I didn't think typhoons could happen in Fall, augh.

Oh well, the lumber and stone will be good for expanding the farm. Just how many times can you expand it, anyways? I'm at three fields, and I've gotten two side rooms thus far.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

What does it mean, then, when the trees have a brownish-orange tint to them? I'd thought it meant I forgot to water the day before, because it goes away on watering, but I took a few game days to double check the wateredness of everything before resting and it doesn't seem to be that.

One other question for the day--what's the weather effect with all the floating ghost things?

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

Okay, I suspected it was something along those lines; I noticed that sometimes picking crops on those days left little ghosts behind that I think gave me XP? I was surprised no NPCs said anything to clue me in, though.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

A new day and a new question--if I make an armor item, but add in the pendant that increases skill exp gain, will the armor then increase skill exp gain as well? If so, I think I might try making a set of armor/headgear/shoes with that pendant tossed in.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

Nondevor posted:

Item effects only overlap if they're from the same category. For example, if you were making a headgear piece only stats from other headgear pieces would inherit. Shoes go into shoes, accessories like necklaces go into other accessories. So no, making a leather vest with a heart pendant would not give you skill gains. I suggest making a pendant with two other pendants and a handknit scarf; up to 3 items can be inherited (the first item gives the stats) with the resulting fusion giving its ability.

Barrett the NPC is useful for examining this stuff.

Alright, cool--what I ended up making, factoring my present crafting level, was a set of magic earrings for stats, with a happy ring, heart pendant, and then the handknit scarf added in. Thank you very much for the pointers!

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

How long does the push away typhoon order last?

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

Well, I need to give some pineapple juice now and while I have the recipe I have nowhere near the RP needed to make it. I'm at 35 cooking, presently--I've got all the kitchen tools and, thanks to festivals, plenty of recipe bread. Before I just plunge in and cook stuff, though, are there any particularly worthwhile recipes to keep an eye out for grinding-wise?

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

I just realized I left out an emphasis I meant to make--monetarilyworthwhile. Oops. And yeah, I was getting ready to convert my fields from wood/stone factories to flowerbeds for chemistry grinding mostly, but splitting a bit off for cooking grinding.

And making my central field a vineyard, just 'cause.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

Alrighty! Made it up to low fifties before changing focus to avoid burnout.

When I first read the item description for turnips (might have been seeds) I chuckled at the "for some reason." Little did I know the game was foreshadowing my hunt for turnip's miracle.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

Few more questions, now that I've hit my groove/gotten all-stopped by the golem boss in Rune Prana:

- When leveling mining, am I better off mining the highest-end minerals I can find, or sticking to ones that actually yield their ore/gem type? Like, I can reliably get gold from its minerals, but dragonic stone nodes just give iron.

- My trees went down in level after planting. Is preventing that just a matter of hoeing corn/clovers/grass on the grid appropriately?

- Is there any downside to giving NPCs a weapon type aside from the kind they start with? Contemplating giving Meg a spear but I don't want to lose that nice total-cure + heal thing she does.

I'm enjoying this game still, which is nice. The last RF game I played was the first and once I got to a certain point I remember just losing interest completely. Realizing I could hold down A to pick up like items instead of mashing it a lot made things looooooads more amenable, too.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

Yeah, I'm embarrassed to admit how many Wools/Eggs/etc I lost to accidentally giving them to my animals when trying to pick up more before learning that.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

Gotcha, okay. The tree thing is really weird because I got them up to Lv10 and that's what's selling in the store, but after a week or two-ish from when the trees started yielding fruit I noticed the oranges were suddenly Lv9. I don't know when it actually decreased, just that it did.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

Oh, maybe that's it, then. I mistakenly thought a town event would prohibit typhoons so I hadn't saved for a couple days and welp!

I'm getting two or three of them a season, I wish I could get an invincible katori.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

SC Bracer posted:

You can get an order eventually that lets you avoid typhoons.

Like, permanently? I've got the one that repels them, but it'd be nice to be able to spend those prince points on other stuff.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

Yeah, I fought him on the last one that blew through--what's so special about his rare drop? I know I'll need one to make this one staff, and another for the shipping list, at least.

Right now I mostly just want to get all my seeds to Lv10. I'm maybe 40% there? The emery flowers gon' be a li'l bitch. I did just get the best sickle, though, so that should help with these holdouts that refuse to go from 9 to 10.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

Ah, so it's (semi)complicated craftimg stuff.

I've gotten a handful up to 10, I'll toss some greenifier on the holdouts. Thanks!

Out of curiosity, what weapon types are some of y'all using? I ended up going with fists and thought suplexing dragons would be the most fun I could have, but then I discovered throwing dragons into other dragons.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

Am I better off growing gold veggies or crystals for money? I bought Meg the violin, and next up I wanna buy the house.

Also, is recipe bread + the only way to get the recipes for the best weapons or can regular weapon bread suffice?

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

I can almost do that but the G Golem does enough of a number on me to make Terrable on the "aargh!" side of things.

Seriously, gently caress that golem.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

I will keep the cooking stuff in mind--a semi-related question, though: the bronze/silver/gold crowns next to different items in my shipping list, are they meaningful in any way? Like, does having more increase tourism or anything?

And speaking of gold/silver/bronze, are the fish trophies determined by size caught or number caught?

And seriously, dudes/dudettes--thanks for all the answers y'all have hooked me up with!

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

You're telling me--I finally got Meg's 4th required event, and after looking at a list of all the events there were literally only three events I hadn't seen, including it, and I saw one of the other two while waiting for the marriage event. One step closer to white stone goodness!

I ended up getting a twin justice from winning the buddy battle so I took those and some pineapple juice and cleared out the first two sharance mazes. Been farming the 2nd one twice a day just because it doesn't have the golem. No weapon bread + yet but I've got a dope-as-hell rune shield now. My one weakness is the status with the birds around my dude's head; is that diz or stn? Trying to sort out what I need to be upgrading stuff with.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

I'm not sure of this (trying to figure out with a bit more certainty myself) but it seems like higher-level dungeon flowers start with more HP and thus yield more material stone if you hammer the poo poo out of them. I don't even leave any fields unplowed anymore, I just grow dungeon flowers and twinkle trees for my stone/lumber needs.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

Uh

so the G Golem is not just tamable but ridable. This gets about as entertaining in town as you might expect.

On a semi-related note, just how many times can a monster barn be expanded?

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

I've got the ten basic barns built, and the first barn expanded twice. Looking at the map I can see each barn getting nine rooms but that just seems ludicrous.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

Do Wind Dragon Fangs fall under the "Raven won't sell" category? Trying to make another Four Dragons' vest for Meg.

Speaking of drops, which Sharance Maze has the boss that drops these Rune Sphere Shards that are bottlenecking my crafting?

Some things I've found that might be useful:

- Trees are a pretty good way to raise soil level. I had two orange trees per square in one of my fields for about a year and now they're all Lv16 and growing Conqueror Melons quite nicely.

- High level twinkle trees and dungeon flowers are definitely a good way to get lumber and stone. Added bonus of leveling your soil.

- Each monster barn can expand to a total of five rooms, laid out like so:
code:
  [ ]-[ ]
  / \ / \
[ ]-[ ]-[ ]

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

I saw that FAQ, but since oranges grow faster I went with those.

Good to know re: Challenge to Fantasy; I've unlocked it but got to like Lv14 in it before getting beaten-- which wasn't bad, considering I was just investigating. I'll brew up some pineapple juices and then I should be good to go.

I'm debating dedicating a field each to giant emery flowers and giant 4-leaf clovers so I can churn out a shitton of levelisers. I'm not sure I'd have the patience to get the Lv. 1000 trophy any other way.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

Corn recovers three digit's worth of HP; I've been meaning to double-check/document how much a 4-leaf clover restores.

edit: which seems the better option, making a dolphin brooch using other accessories or using a dolphin brooch in making another accessory?

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

Argh, hitting a crafting roadblock. I'm making a Badge of Courage, and in the three empty spots in the crafting interface I'm putting Art of Attack, Lucky Strike, and Proof of Wisdom. The crit bonus from the Lucky Strike isn't carrying through, though. Is there any way to get it to carry the full %100 over, or should I make a Lucky Strike using two of the Art, Proof, or Badge?

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

I don't know why I didn't put that together; I'm blaming late night thought patterns. I guess I'll sub in a Happy Ring.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

I'm trying to figure out if there's any rhyme or reason to the level of items dropped by monsters/bosses/mining...looking at the levels of stuff I've got a lot of in my stash I think I might be able to fit a curve to it but I'm unsure how adequate a sample size I've got.

I can't wait to get a Fenrir made with all Lv10 components. I'm not sure what to put in slot 6, though...if I use an item as an extra ingredient, will upgrading with that same item be subject to diminishing returns? Incidentally, Fenrir meshes really well with the dude PC's wedding outfit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

Oh, speaking of the squid catch festival, there's a room with a pond in Idra Cave that's contains almost exclusively squid.

• Locked thread