Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HellOnEarth
Nov 7, 2005

Now that's good jerky!
Animal Parade for Wii actually reminds me a lot of 64 and FoMT. The characters are interesting and often kind of depressing and there is a poo poo load to do. Also your character and their chosen girl/boyfriend can push their giant lego heads together and kiss at the end of romantic dates.

Plus it's got costumes and clothes and stuff to wear and the festivals have shops to buy things.

It's my favourite I think.

also there's a wizard!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HellOnEarth
Nov 7, 2005

Now that's good jerky!

Nessa posted:

Animal Parade is my first HM game and I loved it.

The wizard is adorable and I married him because of all the sweet things he says.:3:

Yeah me too. :3:

HellOnEarth
Nov 7, 2005

Now that's good jerky!

Fishylungs posted:

Yay! A new Harvest Moon thread!

I think I'm going to go play Animal Parade again after this, it's actually pretty fun. I don't know who I want to marry though, either the awesome island girl or the bartender's daughter. I'm up to the last bell so I'm just running around trying to get people to like me and also make enough money to upgrade my tools and keep my animals alive.

And Wind Bazaar, should I get it when it comes out? I haven't heard many good thing about it, but I'd kind of like to move on from the original DS game.

Play as a girl and marry the Wizard!

HellOnEarth
Nov 7, 2005

Now that's good jerky!
Some festivals have some terrible minigames that more than one person can play, I think.

HellOnEarth
Nov 7, 2005

Now that's good jerky!
I'm torn between marrying Lloyd and Amir. They look like... well, they look over the age of 12. Which is nice.

Also white-haired-guy is a marriage candidate. So is purple haired girl.

HellOnEarth
Nov 7, 2005

Now that's good jerky!

FredMSloniker posted:

Would you say better than Animal Parade? She's my gramma; I don't want to disappoint.

Go with Animal Parade, then. Magical Melody is good, but I think Animal Parade is a more solid game with more intuitive controls.

HellOnEarth
Nov 7, 2005

Now that's good jerky!
Once I took a few in-game days to figure out the runey system, it actually wasn't so bad. Just took 2 or 3 hours in game to pick up some green ones and dump them where they needed to go.

HellOnEarth
Nov 7, 2005

Now that's good jerky!

Corridor posted:

Can anyone give me tips and stuff for AP? Easy meals with cheap ingredients to recover stamina, good fishing areas, people to befriend, best animals, crops/livestock to avoid, poo poo like that.

Also what are the starting crops on the field? When you first start you have some turnips and potatoes growing, and some other thing... that I for some reason thought were weeds and cut down. :psyduck:

Those were tulips. And the trees are Cherry trees.

If you have a 2nd wiimote, you can flick the cursor over whoever you're talking to for extra friendship or love points. Also go into the mine and listen for a weird noise. That's a mole. If you hit it with your hammer, it will drop an item, usually a stamina recovery item like Bodigizer or a mushroom and on occasion, a poison toadstool.

HellOnEarth
Nov 7, 2005

Now that's good jerky!

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Well, yeah, that's the intent. But then why not just make crops grow faster, then? What's the point of making the player do tedious busywork just to make that happen? It's poor gameplay design.

The ability to water crops twice doesn't add any interesting gameplay or depth to the game. The developers should have just picked the growth times they wanted and stuck with that.

The only thing I can think of is that if you're using fertilizer, it's better to only water once a day.
If you're trying to win the crop festival, you should fertilize every day and only water that crop once a day so it has more fertilizer.

HellOnEarth
Nov 7, 2005

Now that's good jerky!

Roland Jones posted:

I'm still wondering if Allen's evil is some weird mistranslation or something on Natsume's part, since as people have said it's a bit... Yeah. But, considering the way the events go, maybe it isn't. I don't know, but it's weird as hell and rather creepy.

Nope, he is apparently very accurately translated from Japanese.

I actually liked him before I saw his dialogue stuff. Guess I'll have to hold out for Amir and Sanjay.

HellOnEarth
Nov 7, 2005

Now that's good jerky!
Man, is the AI ever stupid sometimes. Forte just stands next to the enemy, not hitting it, not doing anything. Christ.

HellOnEarth
Nov 7, 2005

Now that's good jerky!

GabrielAisling posted:

I tried playing Harvest Moon DS Cute, but I think I really, truly hate it. The villagers are assholes, the bachelors are caricatures of unattractive, middle-aged creeps and there is only so much awful the cuteness of the Witch Princess can deflect. I understand why there was a best friend system in the Japanese version. The only age-appropriate male option is the extremely lazy, mullet-wielding Rock.

There's also the Big Anime Thief who appears after 10pm.

HellOnEarth
Nov 7, 2005

Now that's good jerky!

I Watson posted:

I am throwing in that you need to avoid the 3DS port of Tale of Two Towns at all costs. If you really want to play that title, get the DS version instead because it is a mighty lovely port that Natsume took it upon themselves to cobble together after Marvelous said they wouldn't do it for them.

Is there a reason the 3DS port is so bad? It's the one I have but I never got very far into it.

HellOnEarth
Nov 7, 2005

Now that's good jerky!

endolithic posted:

Just FYI, save before accepting a part-time job. There's a bug where sometimes you won't have the needed item equipped and have to restart the game.

This bug only seems to apply to any animal-related task or anything with a tool. The "fix" is to not move at all until the animation of you pulling the tool out is completed.

HellOnEarth
Nov 7, 2005

Now that's good jerky!

bengraven posted:

So Trio or Seasons 1?

I like Trio so far because SoS 1 has no shipping box and there's a bunch of rigmarole for trees/wheat/paddy crops/bees/etc.
Also the boys in Trio are cuter.

HellOnEarth
Nov 7, 2005

Now that's good jerky!

endolithic posted:

The only complaint I really have so far is the main farm area feels pretty tiny compared to the first SoS. You do get an expansion pretty quickly but I've never much liked splitting my main farm work. Plus the big coops and barns are kind of big for only holding four animals.

The worst part about the Large Barn is that it takes up one more square than 4 regular barns, plus any extra time you'd save by not having to travel is taking up by having to run around to push them out the door.

HellOnEarth
Nov 7, 2005

Now that's good jerky!
An FYI: Save 20 sweet potatoes in the autumn. Don't get stuck in winter trying to upgrade to Rank B with Westown for a full year like me.

HellOnEarth
Nov 7, 2005

Now that's good jerky!

Shirec posted:

I think Another Wonderful Life was the laziest example of the bachelors. At least the early games had the rivals so they were at least appropriate.

Why yes you can marry the weird hippy! Here you go ladies~

At least in DS Cute they added a guy who was not obviously 50 years old.

HellOnEarth
Nov 7, 2005

Now that's good jerky!
I wish this series would bring back rival marriages. They haven't had them since Grand Bazaar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HellOnEarth
Nov 7, 2005

Now that's good jerky!

A Spider Covets posted:

I thought I was going to go for Ludus, but he is so into the whole friendship and seeing you as a sister thing that it seems like it would be really weird.

Ludus's flower events actually get hilarious because of him at first trying to treat you like a sibling and how much he freaks out about it later.

• Locked thread