Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Yeah I still can't believe that they made the longest book (at the point) into the shortest movie, by more than 20 minutes from the first two. And this was well after LOTR so it's not like it wasn't clear audiences could handle 2 and a half to 3 hour movies. It's one thing to cut all the side plots but OOtP felt like even the main plot was anemic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

It's also the only one that wasn't adapted by Steve Kloves (who was feeling burned out by Potter at that point and needed a rest).

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

I think the Rifftrax for the Order of the Phoenix movie has skewed my view on it, because it's probably my favourite out of the HP Rifftrax.

(I highly recommend the HP Rifftrax for anyone who hasn't seen them, they're great.)

ghost story
Sep 10, 2005
Boo.
So this is happening.

It'd better have the original last bit of it (the whole thing of her saying the last word would be scar for a while).

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

thexerox123 posted:

I think the Rifftrax for the Order of the Phoenix movie has skewed my view on it, because it's probably my favourite out of the HP Rifftrax.

(I highly recommend the HP Rifftrax for anyone who hasn't seen them, they're great.)

Wizard People, Dear Reader too.

cloudy
Jul 3, 2007

Alive to the universe; dead to the world.

ghost story posted:

So this is happening.

It'd better have the original last bit of it (the whole thing of her saying the last word would be scar for a while).

Can anyone explain this to me? I looked up descriptive bibliography, but I don't see why it's anything to get excited about. I'm probably missing something in my understanding of what it is.

Edit: Nevermind, I just saw that you can read some of the book in the amazon preview. I guess it's just a niche scholarly thing.

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

Zore posted:

I always thought POA was the weakest movie in the series. Mostly because so much of it just... cuts important information in favor of pointless bullshit. The movie literally doesn't make sense unless you fill in a lot of gaps from the books, and the humor/aesthetic shift from the first two movies was really jarring considering Azkaban was a much darker story than the first two.

Hogwarts is the Whomping Willow, a stone tower, Hogsmede and a weird wooden bridge they use for loving everything in that movie. Also introduced the giant pendulum clock which was just... why.

GoF actually felt like I was watching some bizarre highlights reel and when I watched it with someone who hadn't read the books I pretty much had to fill in all the gaps that the film left.

But then I really liked the fifth film once the plot started moving, I just wish they did more with it.

Chamale posted:

Food is one of the five exceptions to Gamp's Law of Elemental Transfiguration, according to Hermione. You can't turn something into food - although she says you can increase the quantity of food, so maybe a wizard family could avoid going hungry by magically duplicating their pantry. Presumably some of the other laws say that you can't transfigure other things into money, and maybe there's some kind of physical or legal law that prevents transfiguration for profit. I looked it up, and the other exceptions to Gamp's Law are never actually stated in the books.

It's not technically food but didn't Barty Crouch get turned into a bone?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Chucat posted:

It's not technically food but didn't Barty Crouch get turned into a bone?

I generally assume that sort of transfiguration isn't perfect.

Like you can transfigure a guy into a steak sandwich but it would be like a weird artificial version of a steak sandwich that doesn't actually have nutritional value, it's just held together with magic. Like how you can turn a teapot into a turtle and it still breathes steam. poo poo ain't actually changed just magically twisted.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Chucat posted:

GoF actually felt like I was watching some bizarre highlights reel and when I watched it with someone who hadn't read the books I pretty much had to fill in all the gaps that the film left.

Seeing GoF was basically my first introduction to Harry Potter and aside from not knowing who Sirius Black was when he showed up in the fire I didn't have an especially hard time following things.

Although it does have one of the weirdest drat cuts of any of the movies. It's when McGonagall is having the students practice dancing for the Yule Ball, and everyone starts picking partners when the camera focuses on Neville building up his determination. So he starts to stand up and all of a sudden without a break in the music or anything, there is a cut to Harry and Ron walking down a corridor and finding Neville dancing by himself in his pajamas and some dress shoes. It is almost like a montage of all the things building up the ball is supposed to be starting but it doesn't go anywhere, it is so surreal at first I thought this was some kind of weird Neville dream sequence.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

As much as I think it's a weird movie Goblet of Fire does have a nice moment where Harry comes back with Cedric's body and everyone is all happy and excited and the band is playing then 5 seconds later everyone's like "Oh poo poo"

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

bobjr posted:

As much as I think it's a weird movie Goblet of Fire does have a nice moment where Harry comes back with Cedric's body and everyone is all happy and excited and the band is playing then 5 seconds later everyone's like "Oh poo poo"

That's probably one of the better moments of the series from a cinematic standpoint.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

bobjr posted:

Loved it as well.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Some of my favorite character moments are from OotP. There's one where the kids are coming back from Hogsmeade, and Hermione brings up the way Cho was looking at Harry and just for the briefest moment the camera pauses on Ginny's face who looks heartbroken.

And then the scene in the Room of Requirement, where everyone's leaving, and Ginny is one of the last ones out, looking back, leaving Harry and Cho the only ones in the room.

And when Ginny successfully does the Reducto curse, the utter look of elation on her face, and Harry responds in kind, is such joy to watch.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

bobjr posted:

Goblet's been on HBO or something so I watched it for the first time in years. It really just feels disjointed. There are some good parts, then some parts that just are weird. Especially with regards to Dumbledore practically knocking Harry over after his name comes out of the Goblet of Fire to that weird tattoo vs. Harry's stab wound at the end in which Dumbledore grabs his arm so he could compare them.

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

He also cooks the food of his people

geeves posted:

Especially with regards to Dumbledore practically knocking Harry over after his name comes out of the Goblet of Fire

The Alohomora Podcast thinks this is the greatest cinematic crime against Harry Potter. I don't see the big deal. Dumbledore only wants Harry in mortal peril when he puts him there.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW
The title for this thread is very confusing, Dickens is already children's lit? :confuoot:

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Movie Dumbledore is probably the worst adapted main character. In the movies he's this serious guy who only displays silly moments once or twice, compared to the books where he's this silly relaxed guy until poo poo goes down.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
...I actually preferred Serious Dumbledore. It kept the gravity of the series in sight.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

It was also less jarring when he turned out to be kind of a manipulative dick later in the series. Just like Alan Rickman bringing a little humanity to Snape in the earlier movies helped his transition into tragic hero. He is just an abusive rear end in a top hat in the books.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

bobjr posted:

Movie Dumbledore is probably the worst adapted main character. In the movies he's this serious guy who only displays silly moments once or twice, compared to the books where he's this silly relaxed guy until poo poo goes down.

I thought that Michael Gambon was clearly cast with HBP in mind - you have to admit, he is really good at the more understated humor and serious demeanor required of him in that film. He just falls flat in the earlier films because he tries to play that side of Dumbledore up way too early.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Guy A. Person posted:

It was also less jarring when he turned out to be kind of a manipulative dick later in the series. Just like Alan Rickman bringing a little humanity to Snape in the earlier movies helped his transition into tragic hero. He is just an abusive rear end in a top hat in the books.

Eh, I think Snape had some human moments in the books.

One of the scenes I always think about is when they find out Ginny was taken to the Chamber of Secret and Snape is clearly wrecked by the thought of a student being taken even before he finds out who it is, and he flips the hell out at Lockheart about it. It's probably one of the most sympathetic moments he has in the early series and one of the rare few times he seems like a person who could be a good teacher.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Davros1 posted:

Some of my favorite character moments are from OotP. There's one where the kids are coming back from Hogsmeade, and Hermione brings up the way Cho was looking at Harry and just for the briefest moment the camera pauses on Ginny's face who looks heartbroken.

And then the scene in the Room of Requirement, where everyone's leaving, and Ginny is one of the last ones out, looking back, leaving Harry and Cho the only ones in the room.

And when Ginny successfully does the Reducto curse, the utter look of elation on her face, and Harry responds in kind, is such joy to watch.

There's a great moment they came up with in Deathly Hallows Part Two. When Harry seemingly comes back to life after his body is brought back to the castle, there's a shot where almost everyone stands around astonished. Except Molly, who mutters "Fred" and turns back towards the castle.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Chamale posted:

There's a great moment they came up with in Deathly Hallows Part Two. When Harry seemingly comes back to life after his body is brought back to the castle, there's a shot where almost everyone stands around astonished. Except Molly, who mutters "Fred" and turns back towards the castle.

... Jesus, that's depressing.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Chamale posted:

There's a scene in PoA too, when Lupin turns into the wolf, and Snape pushes Harry, Hermione, and Ron behind him.

Bad Wolf
Apr 7, 2007
Without evil there could be no good, so it must be good to be evil sometime !
I watched the movies (with the exception of Hallows) before I ever read the books, and all I can say is well done Alan Rickman. I would have absolutely hated the character of Snape if I had read the books first, but the guy made him entertaining. I remember reading somewhere that Rickman was also the only person who knew in advance what Snape's deal really was, since Rowling felt it was important enough for his portrayal. In contrast, my hate for Umbridge is unchanged between media.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

ImpAtom posted:

Eh, I think Snape had some human moments in the books.

One of the scenes I always think about is when they find out Ginny was taken to the Chamber of Secret and Snape is clearly wrecked by the thought of a student being taken even before he finds out who it is, and he flips the hell out at Lockheart about it. It's probably one of the most sympathetic moments he has in the early series and one of the rare few times he seems like a person who could be a good teacher.

Oh there were definitely humanizing moments, not the least of which is when he saves Harry's life in the first book and is pretty much always vindicated as doing the exact opposite thing Harry expects him to be doing. And you might even chalk some of his interactions with Harry up to Harry being a biased narrator.

But still, man, he says some pretty reprehensible stuff to Harry, especially about his dead father. He is also pretty nasty to Neville and makes Hemione cry on a few occasions if I recall (one of the times it's directly about her appearance). He is an emotionally abusive teacher which is a pretty hosed up thing to be in any circumstance, and is not a very likable dude.

Davros1 posted:

There's a scene in PoA too, when Lupin turns into the wolf, and Snape pushes Harry, Hermione, and Ron behind him.

This is definitely one of the scenes I was thinking about. There is also this scene, where Snape is being a dick but in a more playful, put upon way. It's really down to the way Rickman plays it, as well as them cutting out or toning down certain lines and interactions.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Bad Wolf posted:

I watched the movies (with the exception of Hallows) before I ever read the books, and all I can say is well done Alan Rickman. I would have absolutely hated the character of Snape if I had read the books first, but the guy made him entertaining. I remember reading somewhere that Rickman was also the only person who knew in advance what Snape's deal really was, since Rowling felt it was important enough for his portrayal. In contrast, my hate for Umbridge is unchanged between media.

Man was born to play the role. Well, that and everything else he's ever done, because he's always amazing, but yeah it's like Rowling wrote Snape with Rickman in mind. I've never seen him do a bad job but I can't imagine anyone else filling that role. One of those performances good enough to prevent future remakes because how could anyone ever compete?

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I think I could forgive Snape for most of what he does to Harry. It's the way he treats students he doesn't have an irrational grudge against that tells me he's a dreadful person.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Being an awful teacher aside, Snape was totally down with letting Voldemort murder the child and husband of the woman he loved (more like creeped on, really), and only changed sides because Voldemort took her from him. I don't remember any indication that he had a change of heart regarding the death eater's philosophy even then, it was all personal. He was plain evil from beginning to end and even his heroic actions were selfish and could be put down to an act of revenge.

Harry naming his kid after him never sat well with me for that reason.

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Hermione really is an insufferable know-it-all

Snape did nothing wrong

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Snape tried to murder Neville's toad. That's p. goddamn needlessly malicious.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Avalerion posted:

He just wanted the kids initials to be ASP.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Avalerion posted:

Being an awful teacher aside, Snape was totally down with letting Voldemort murder the child and husband of the woman he loved (more like creeped on, really), and only changed sides because Voldemort took her from him. I don't remember any indication that he had a change of heart regarding the death eater's philosophy even then, it was all personal. He was plain evil from beginning to end and even his heroic actions were selfish and could be put down to an act of revenge.

Ehhh, I do think Snape changed over the 10 intervening years, especially once he became besties with Dumbledore. My favorite Snape line is when Dumbledore tells him Harry has to die, and when Dumbledore notices he is shocked and asks how many people he has already watched die, Snape replies "Lately only those I could not save". This change of heart just didn't extend to him not being a sneering rear end in a top hat to most people around him, particularly people he already had a grudge with.

Ein cooler Typ posted:

Hermione really is an insufferable know-it-all

Snape did nothing wrong

The time I was specifically thinking about is when someone jinxed her buck teeth to grow out of control, and when Harry/Ron asked if she could go to the nurse, Snape says "I don't see any difference". That's just needlessly drat cruel.

Guy A. Person fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Mar 18, 2015

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

He also cooks the food of his people
Friendly reminder that snape didn't love lily he was psychotically obsesses over her and the entire foundation of the series is based on a lie.

ashez2ashes
Aug 15, 2012

Snape still could have loved Lilly and also grew up to be a terrible bitter person. If he was always an rear end, Lilly wouldn't have been his friend to begin with.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
Rickman was miscast as Snape because he made it possible for people to think of Snape as anything but a petty abusive bully. :colbert:

He didn't even love Lily, he loved the ideal of her he put on a pedestal, but the fact that he was fine with her being heartbroken by the death of her husband and son as long as he could swoop in afterwards to comfort her shows he didn't care or understand about who she really was.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
If you look like a jerk and smell like a jerk and coincidentally you spend every day of your life being a jerk to people you just might have been a jerk all along.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

GodFish posted:

He didn't even love Lily, he loved the ideal of her he put on a pedestal, but the fact that he was fine with her being heartbroken by the death of her husband and son as long as he could swoop in afterwards to comfort her shows he didn't care or understand about who she really was.

Snape grew up a friend of Lily's. Sure he eventually grew into a huge Jerk over his years at Hogwarts and subsequent years as a deatheater, but he still had his love of Lily that had grown for years. The moment Lily is threatened Snape throws away all of his friends, power, etc to run to Dumbledore, prostrate himself at his feet, and beg to save her. Not to mention that Snape's love of Lily is why he begged Voldemort to spare her before running to Dumbledore, and that request is what caused Voldemort to pause long enough for Lily to choose to die for her son. Personally I think Snape's love for Lily was also part of the love protecting Harry throughout the series.

Sure he may have idealized her in the years after her death. He risked everything for that memory though, says alot about the guy. Still a selfish Jerk.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

Guy A. Person posted:

The time I was specifically thinking about is when someone jinxed her buck teeth to grow out of control, and when Harry/Ron asked if she could go to the nurse, Snape says "I don't see any difference". That's just needlessly drat cruel.
That sounds more like SOP for House rivalry to me. I could see McGonagall saying the same thing about a Slytherin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MatildaTheHun
Aug 31, 2011

here's the thing donovan, I'm always hungry
Snape was a psychopath who got friendzoned by the only person who cared about him and was just as evil as each one of the other literal Nazi wizards that he ran with for most of his life. He was so obsessed with this one girl he switched allegiances just because she was harmed, but didn't care about the murder of an infant.

"Yeah sure go ahead and kill a 4 month old but oh man you killed that mudblood girl that lived down the street from me that I knew back in high school oh poo poo you've gone too far!"

• Locked thread