Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Olanphonia
Jul 27, 2006

I'm open to suggestions~

elf pr0n posted:

Anyone else confused by the number of students at Hogwarts? I mean there's 5 boys at Harry's level in Gryffindor and 3 girls. I understand not mentioning characters because there's already a lot of them but I could just never wrap my head around with how many there really ever were :psyduck:

I'd guess an average of 10 per year. So with 7 years and 4 houses that makes 280ish students. That wouldn't be terribly surprising for a boarding school.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olanphonia
Jul 27, 2006

I'm open to suggestions~

Levitate posted:

Because Rowling isn't actually a good writer who can make a world that's consistent in its rules and every attempt to reconcile the inconsistencies in the books without just stating this fact is pretty funny.

She is a good story teller though and the books are entertaining

Real life is full of inconsistencies like this. We, as a society, dislike murder; yet we glorify war which is just murder on a larger scale. Laws in society are not always consistent with what is right or what you decide is morally correct. It is far more likely that the Imperius curse and the other unforgivables are not regulated the same way that the memory charm is because of the crimes against wizards committed during the last 2 dark wizard uprisings.

Furthermore, she always gives the impression that wizarding society as a whole is not a just society. It is in serious need of social and political reforms and this is both explicitly and implicitly stated throughout the novels.

Olanphonia
Jul 27, 2006

I'm open to suggestions~
Finally remembered that Pottermore was a thing and did my signup stuff. My wand is 14.5""[:smuggo:] Acacia and Unicorn Hair, slightly yielding. Sorted into Hufflepuff.

Not crazy about my username (StormSilver20676), but whatever

Olanphonia
Jul 27, 2006

I'm open to suggestions~

Bone grass posted:

Another thing that baffles me is why Hufflepuff gets so much flak instead of Ravenclaw. Hufflepuff qualities are loyalty, hard work and fairness, don't know how you can complain about that. And look at the characters distribution: in Hufflepuff you've got Tonks, Cedric Diggory, a bunch of all right kids in Harry's year and the goddamn jolly Fat Friar. In Ravenclaw, you have Cho Chang, her SNEAK friend, Moaning Myrtle, Quirrell and a whinny ghost. There's also Luna, but the other Ravenclaw students were always bullying her so gently caress them, really.

People who self identify as nerds and geeks tend to believe that they are smarter than the average person and so most believe that they would have been in Ravenclaw. Since they have identify themselves as Ravenclaws, they are less likely to want to criticize the house in any way. Also, not very many people identify as Hufflepuffs simply because there are few major characters that are in school with Harry that are Hufflepuffs. They sort of exist as background characters until Tonks and Diggory.

Olanphonia
Jul 27, 2006

I'm open to suggestions~

Paragon8 posted:

Like as a short story I think you could do something pretty interesting with the concept of a rigorously scientific Harry as almost a parody. MoR just became a convoluted mess that lost sight of what I think was originally intended. As accomplished as he may or may not be in his other fields, his writing isn't strong enough to support his ideology. Especially when it so awkwardly borrows from an established universe.

I think this is the biggest issue with it. It would work as something of a short parody, but the idea really doesn't merit a full length novel to reiterate the same point over and over. It honestly would probably have been more tolerable if he had just put in his own self insert instead of using a pre-existing character.

Olanphonia
Jul 27, 2006

I'm open to suggestions~

Pavlov posted:

That's something I've been meaning to ask. I haven't heard good things about the community/fanbase. The main reason I'm even here asking this stuff is because I heard hpmor is really popular on tvtropes, which is one of my personal warning signs for things. Is it cult-y as well?

Beyond the notes of fascism the others have pointed out, there is the whole 'shipping' community which is basically a series of different cults for every pairing of characters out there. People get really, seriously mad about whom a given teen wizard will get smoochy with.

And the loving names they come up with for their little cults.

Olanphonia
Jul 27, 2006

I'm open to suggestions~

Xachariah posted:

That was the biggest let down of the entire book series, when in all of present day Slytherin there isn't one person willing to buck the trend. It diminishes the narrative because it seems in the end even Rowling is prejudiced against a bunch of kids who were segregated into the selfish house at 11.

No one changes between 11 and 18? Oh, OK, kinda harsh of you Rowling.

I think it's probably more weird that so many people in the other houses stayed to fight. The reasoning for leaving is a pretty strong. Voldemort shows up with an army of adults, giants, giant spiders, and all sorts of other things. It doesn't seem particularly crazy to think that most of the kids would get right the gently caress out of there when confronted with the literal boogeyman they've grown up fearing their entire lives. For the Slytherins, whom are characterized as interested mostly in their own welfare, it isn't exactly out of character.

Edit: that's the last time I post right after I wake up.

Olanphonia fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Dec 19, 2013

Olanphonia
Jul 27, 2006

I'm open to suggestions~

Hedrigall posted:

I want to hear more about the insane Harry/Hermione shippers.

I think it mostly stems from a belief that the leading man should end up with the leading lady. Also I guess some people really like Harry and also Hermione and that led them to believe that they would be a good couple regardless of the way the characters are written to feel about each other.

Olanphonia
Jul 27, 2006

I'm open to suggestions~
Quite literally the funniest thing she could have done and I applaud her awesome trolling ability.

Olanphonia
Jul 27, 2006

I'm open to suggestions~

Decius posted:

No, as someone explained very well a few pages ago (and much better than I'm doing now), Rowling only shows the way Hermione goes around to try to change things is bad - meaning the usual "college student from privilege discovering injustice and thinking to fix it with some flashy actions like sit-ins, protests, banners" instead of really going to the bottom of things and trying to make real change - the thing Hermione does later on from inside the Ministry, with the Elves and other creatures instead of basically enacting her version of "White Man's Burden" and trying to set them free without a plan and even against their will.

Yeah, this is basically what it seems like some of you are missing. Hermione just up and decides that the house elves need to be free without consulting with literally any of them. I mean, yeah, her heart is in the right place but she's basically discounts any of the elves saying that they are pretty good with what they're doing as them being "confused". She basically goes for the big "Free 'Em Now" statement without really thinking through how that would work for the elves or asking the elves what they wanted.

Olanphonia
Jul 27, 2006

I'm open to suggestions~

Paragon8 posted:

It's not quite like that though. Hermione's first experience with a house elf is through Dobby who is mistreated and abused by some awful people. Then she's told that House Elves are a pretty common institution and even her school uses them. Can you blame her for having such a strong reaction? Up until that point that's basically the reader's reaction.

I can certainly see the potential for a storyline of Hermione finding an element of a culture alien to her ideals but accepted within that culture and having her naiveté lifted over the course of the subplot. However I'm uncomfortable with that cultural element being submissive slavery. It feels very uncomfortable to read a class with a position of power talking about an underclass with words like their happy with hard work and that's what they prefer etc. - unfortunately Rowling does legitimise this with House Elves actually being totally cool with being slaves.

Rowling aside from Dobby and Winky doesn't write house elves with much depth at all. They're treated more like fairly intelligent dogs than sentient equals.

BTW. I'm having tremendous amounts of fun discussing stuff like this with you guys. It's so rare to find a place to do this that isn't blindly supportive of whatever Rowling does.

Oh, it would have certainly been nice to have a long plot based on Hermione's attempt to promote the rights of elves. Unfortunately I don't know that it would have been a good idea to include it in with the already massive books that Rowling was already writing just based on Harry's struggle with Voldemort. Ultimately her biggest issue is that she based her campaign on the experiences and knowledge she had gained from one elf rather than speaking to a larger group and then basing a plan of action in conjunction with them. That is, of course, a crazy amount to ask of a teenager so don't think I'm criticizing her as the white devil or whatever.

Honestly I don't think it would be fair to criticize her for not focusing on the house elves because when it comes down to it the story was about Harry and his struggle and it just didn't have the length or whatever to focus on peripheral, world building things.

Olanphonia
Jul 27, 2006

I'm open to suggestions~
I definitely agree with a "meet-in-the-middle" kind of solution being probably the best one and a lesson that might even have been helpful to people reading it.

Paragon8 posted:

oh god I'm writing house elf fan fiction - quick who do they have sex with? Goblins? Merfolk? Snape?

Why not all of them?

Olanphonia
Jul 27, 2006

I'm open to suggestions~

PriorMarcus posted:

It wouldn't shock me to see Expanded Editions released at some point in the future. Content from Pottermore, some changes to the text to tie everything together better, like earlier references to the time period and the Deathly Hallows, maybe even a new epilogue. That's something I can see Rowling doing.

This would actually be really great. I'd be definitely into buying those.

Olanphonia
Jul 27, 2006

I'm open to suggestions~

Mercury Hat posted:

Why didn't Dumbledore do anything reasonable instead of hoping a 17 year old could make enough logic leaps to arrive at the conclusion he wanted?

P-p-p-prophecies :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olanphonia
Jul 27, 2006

I'm open to suggestions~
I figure the easiest way to explain that stuff about food and currency away is that food and water created entirely by magic is non-nutritious and that money must be created and handled by goblins and counterfeiters are somehow hosed over if they try and create a Galleon or whatever. So you can make rabbit stew from a rabbit transfigured from a stool/hydrogen atoms, but it won't do you any good from a nutritional view. You still starve to death at some point.

• Locked thread