Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a friendly penguin
Feb 1, 2007

trolling for fish

I just finished listening to books 6 and 7 on audio book last week. I wanted to do a complete reread/listen, but my library is a missing a few of the books (stolen/not returned most likely), so I settled for the two books that I had only read once each. They were wonderful on audio. People complain, I know, about her writing style, but I must say it makes for an easy listen. I'm surprised that I didn't reread 7 earlier, because with all of the details in those last few chapters, I was coming upon information that I had forgotten/not noticed so often. The entire time I was listening, I couldn't help but think "how are they going to do that in the movies". So that was fun.

Though I am always disappointed with the 7th because I was expecting something completely different. I had thought that all of the information that we needed to know would have already been in the first 6 books, but then she throws in a completely new element that we only barely knew about before. It does explain about the cloak which up until that point had been a mystery that many people probably wondered about, but it seemed like a lot for the last book.

My favorite book has got to be Prisoner of Azkaban. I know that most people think it's quite boring since it has the least to do with the major plot line, but I love it for all of the information we get in it. Books 1 and 2 are getting us familiar with the world and characters and by book 3 we are ready to start getting serious back story and I just like that in books.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a friendly penguin
Feb 1, 2007

trolling for fish

Shyrka posted:

As for the students, yeah, it kinda bugged me how scrub-like Harry and co were when the previous generation were learning forbidden magic (animagi), creating potent magical artifacts (marauder's map), and inventing creative and powerful new spells (Snape's stuff from his potions book). If one of the Marauders had been the Chosen One then Voldie would've eaten it before they were finished with their fourth year.

My argument for why the trio were not performing crazy bits of magic is that they really didn't have the time. Previous generations just didn't have crazy poo poo happen to them every 6 months or so. They could sit around when all of their homework was done (or not) and experiment. Also, the trio were super busy with a billion activities even when Voldemort was not attacking. The Marauders on the other hand were not as sucked up in extracurricular activities all the time. Snape clearly had nothing better to do. The twins had absolutely nothing to do since they didn't even do homework. I do believe it is all a matter of free time.

a friendly penguin
Feb 1, 2007

trolling for fish

I actually do have a bit of a problem with Jim Dale's reading of the Harry Potter books. It's whenever he is reading a part where people are talking. It's like he failed to read ahead so he'll say the line in a completely different manner than what is written. So the line would be "'But I only said that to try and persuade you to come to the Lovegoods'!' cried Hermione in exasperation." And Jim Dale would either read it as a normal sentence (which isn't terrible) or he would put a completely opposite tone on it, perhaps a whisper. It started to bother me after a while. But that's just my opinion.

a friendly penguin
Feb 1, 2007

trolling for fish

RainNimbus3, woooooo.

I was just going to wait until October but then my mother and my brother signed up and I couldn't let them see all the cool stuff without me.

a friendly penguin
Feb 1, 2007

trolling for fish

I'm in this morning too. Going to take it slow. I wasn't too concerned about getting in early, but with as much trouble as you're all saying that it's having, I'd like to get through most of it before they let in the other 12 million people.

No one said anything about the comments section or the really super duper awesome fan art at the bottom of extra content pages. Now that's special.

a friendly penguin
Feb 1, 2007

trolling for fish

GoodApollo posted:

I've had misaligned illustrations on a couple of Kindle editions. I bought a terrible YA book awhile back and a big selling point was the fact it used photograph and they were all aligned and sized wrong.

Not to scare anyone, just saying.

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children?

a friendly penguin
Feb 1, 2007

trolling for fish

SlenderWhore posted:

Ugh, my friend LOVED this book and gave it to me and it literally made no sense. I was so confused and bored throughout the whole thing, and I usually at least like most "weird" YA books.

GoodApollo posted:

Yes. Amazon recommended it to me after I bought The Magicians. It didn't start off too bad but boy did it nosedive.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who didn't like it. I saw it on the library shelf and the cover intrigued me so I read the flap and then I put it back down because it didn't sound good. Then my friend recommended it. It became super popular at the library and I ended up waiting 4 months for it... Not worth it.

I like the idea of making a story based on photographs, but it didn't seem to know where to stop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a friendly penguin
Feb 1, 2007

trolling for fish

Snape's main issue, in my mind at least, was always that he wanted to be accepted, and if he couldn't be accepted then he would be the one doing the excluding. He didn't fit in anywhere even when he tried to go in with the Death Eaters. There was always something pulling him in the opposite direction (i.e. Lily). He wanted to be an accepted wizard, but he was excluded because he was half-blood, etc.

So he grew up and still couldn't fit in on the good side or the bad side but then he became a teacher and he had power. He could make a mockery of the students. Both the ones who fit in, because that's what he couldn't do, and the ones who didn't; not showing any pity for those who may have been like himself at that age.

He did show preferential treatment toward the Slytherins, but mainly in the beginning books. After some time, I believe, he got tough with everyone because if there was one thing he did not take poo poo in, it was with potions, where he excelled.

In the end, when we get the exposition of Snape's story, we learn that he finally accepted himself as having to carry on alone. He could never be part of any group. He had to deny himself what he had wanted for so long, and I believe that he was at peace with himself when he died.

• Locked thread