Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Obligatory Toast
Mar 19, 2007

What am I reading here??

Pththya-lyi posted:

That's why I'd love to read a fanfic set at an American wizard school, possibly at the place we Muggles know as Area 51. The so-called "alien cover-up" is actually a wizard cover-up - the UFOs come from the students practicing their magic outside, and the Men in Black come from the U.S. Department of Magic! I'd write that fanfic myself, but I can't think of a decent story to set there.

EDIT: Yes, I know that she already mentioned the Salem Witches Institute in Book 4, but I refuse to believe that a huge country like America has only one wizard school. :911: Plus, even if it really is a school and not a women's association or something, it still sounds like an all-girl's school, and where are all those red-blooded American boys going to go? Finally, the American West, with its vast tracts of uninhabited land, is a much better place to hide a school than crowded New England. :colbert:

Knowing this country, we'd have 4 or 5, all vying for the top spots on lists for best wizarding schools, and each would be more expensive than the last.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Obligatory Toast
Mar 19, 2007

What am I reading here??

Professor Red posted:

Until the state-run magic Universities start vying for top spot in the coveted 'Play Warlock' biggest party schools.

"Go Badgers!" :cheers:
Ahh, yes. I want to see the wizard equivalent of UGA. I mean, I really want to know what happens if you consume too much firewhisky.

VVV Of course it's magical!! It's painted red!

Obligatory Toast fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Aug 16, 2010

Obligatory Toast
Mar 19, 2007

What am I reading here??
Gary Oldman can play any age. He's been loving Dracula AND the Commissioner for gently caress's sake.

Obligatory Toast
Mar 19, 2007

What am I reading here??
^^^ That pic of Dan is awkward as gently caress, but I blame the photographer more or less. Terry Richardson is kind of a creepy gently caress, you know. Dan was cute as a kid though:

And gently caress it, he still looks spot on.

Obligatory Toast
Mar 19, 2007

What am I reading here??

Shyrka posted:

I'll always maintain that Hazel Blears is the perfect Umbridge.

Pfft haha, oh my god that face!

Obligatory Toast
Mar 19, 2007

What am I reading here??
That guy also did a version with Twilight.

Ohhhh shiiit and he's already up to GoF?? Christ, this is going to be a good, crazy ride.

Hahaha, commentary on chapter 4 is basically a gigantic love letter to Hagrid. :3:

Obligatory Toast fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Aug 20, 2010

Obligatory Toast
Mar 19, 2007

What am I reading here??

caleramaen posted:

Same here. He does say "This poo poo just got real!" a bit too often though. It does get a little annoying after a while. But his generally insightful comments coupled with his great POV's make up for it.

A lot of the stuff he has on privilege in the wizarding world is pretty spot on and insightful.

Obligatory Toast
Mar 19, 2007

What am I reading here??

quote:

One of the reasons I love OOTP so much is purely the length, but I also love it because so much happens. The Umbridge saga, the drama with the centaurs, the Ministry "rescue mission" scene and the subsequent fight, the thestrals, the introduction of Luna, all the DA meetings, the careers advice, the exams, St Mungos, Fred and George's revenge on Umbridge, Rita's article, and so on. Jo's world building is at its best here. She really answers all the little questions like "so what are hospitals like for wizards?", "how exactly do wizards choose what jobs they want?", etc.
I personally kind of poo poo on OoTP for Harry's emotional outbursts, but it wasn't until about the first time I re-read it did I realize how loving awesome that book is for the Umbridge poo poo and Fred and George torturing the poo poo out of her (and the teachers basically assisting it) alone.

Obligatory Toast
Mar 19, 2007

What am I reading here??

Harashaw posted:

Harry's an unlikeable, egotistical prick in OoTP. Just like every 15-year old.
True enough. I haven't met a 15 year-old yet who wasn't a dick.

Obligatory Toast
Mar 19, 2007

What am I reading here??

Epi Lepi posted:

Thanks for this, I've heard tons about it but never actually read it, probably because I couldn't find the whole thing online. Looking forward to actually reading it.

It's hard to recommend fanfics to people because of the whole shipping scene I feel. Case in point, I don't care how good a fic it is, I'm very unlikely to read it if its not Draco/Hermione, or at least Draco/Female Character. Whelp, there goes my guilty secret.
Wow, I don't even know you and I hate you.

Obligatory Toast
Mar 19, 2007

What am I reading here??

Brinstar Brew posted:

Another one I noticed recently, in Goblet of Fire, was Dumbledore telling a funny story about finding a room full of chamber pots while he was bursting for a piss, and how he could never find it again. Was that the room of requirement?
It's brought up again as an example of what the Room of Requirement could change into in book 5, I think - so, yes.

Obligatory Toast
Mar 19, 2007

What am I reading here??

Suprfli6 posted:

See, I hate that. It basically means free will can't exist, because if that wasn't the case, then Harry could randomly decide to travel back to that time once again and change everything. But in this system of time travel, since it didn't already happen, it never has or never will.

She should have never gotten in to time travel in the first place.
I knew at some point there would be something about loving timetravel in these books when I first started them at the lovingly jaded age of 11. Thank God she went and fixed all of that by having the kids accidentally destroy all the time-turners during their romp at the Ministry in OoTP.

Obligatory Toast
Mar 19, 2007

What am I reading here??

LooseChanj posted:

Came across a copy of HBP:

:(

Someone was pretty pissed about the epilogue.

Obligatory Toast
Mar 19, 2007

What am I reading here??

caleramaen posted:

That's Half Blood Prince, not Deathly Hallows.

Then I rescind my previous post! Honestly, I didn't look that hard at the pic, and I went with the book that a loooot of HP fans got pissed at.

Obligatory Toast
Mar 19, 2007

What am I reading here??

Hobnob posted:

I never really understood the whining about the epilogue. Wasn't it pretty much "Happy Ever After"? What was wrong with it?

I thought I disliked it the first time I read through it, and the second and third time I was more or less ambivalent. It's an okay ending. Although I would never name a kid Albus.

Obligatory Toast
Mar 19, 2007

What am I reading here??

caleramaen posted:

But he's a WIZARD kid. It's better than calling him Daedalus Diggle.
Wizard or not, it's still a bad name. :colbert:

quote:

I think a lot of those people are probably shippers that weren't happy with how Rowling paired everyone up in the end.
I've known some people who aren't shippers who were pissed at it. Although, I will be frank that I can't understand WHY there were earnest Harry/Hermione shippers in the first place. If you couldn't tell that they were not going to end up together since book 1, then you're a moron, I'm sorry.

VVV That's worse than much of the "Ginny is a whore" wank I've read, goddamn. :psyduck:

Obligatory Toast fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Sep 1, 2010

Obligatory Toast
Mar 19, 2007

What am I reading here??

Pththya-lyi posted:

I'm rereading GoF right now and I'm remembering all the objections I had to the Age Line that prevents underage kids from putting their names in the Goblet of Fire. Yeah, the Line can't be tricked by Aging Potions, but what was there to stop an underage wizard from 1) balling up his parchment and throwing it into the Goblet or 2) giving his parchment to a seventeen-year-old confederate who could drop it into the Goblet for him? Also, if underage wizards really aren't up to the task of competing in the TriWizard Tournament, then wouldn't the Goblet simply not pick them? Whomever the Goblet picks as Champion is objectively more skilled than the other applicants, whether or not he's underage!

You guys, I am sperging so hard right now. Siriusly.

You're forgetting number 2 happened to Harry. He was entered in by Barty Crouch Jr., under a fake fourth-school name, from which he was the only entrant and therefore guaranteed to get in and get killed by Voldemort. It's pretty clearly stated at the end that that whole thing was fixed so Harry could win. I'm certain that with number 1 you were likely to get caught by a teacher and have the poo poo punished out of you.

VVVV poo poo pretend my answer was that.

Obligatory Toast fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Sep 2, 2010

Obligatory Toast
Mar 19, 2007

What am I reading here??

Lyon posted:

My only issue with the series is how terrible of a wizard Harry is. Hermione was a great wizard but Harry never really did anything that impressive. A lot of what he did do that was cool more or less plot forced.

Actually, I think that's pretty loving hilarious. Especially considering possibly the most advanced wizard in the world wants him dead and struggles to get anywhere near him. Hell, he couldn't even kill Harry properly. Maybe I've just watched too much Scooby Doo as a kid.

Edit: This is what I think is a great failure of wizards in general - they feel the need to kill everything with magic and they kind of gently caress up at it. No one but Bellatrix thought to use a loving knife!

Obligatory Toast fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Sep 4, 2010

Obligatory Toast
Mar 19, 2007

What am I reading here??

FrensaGeran posted:

One of my favorite little things so far is how poo poo upon Hufflepuff is. Ravenclaw is for smarts, Slytherin is for cunning, Gryffindor is for courage...and Hufflepuff is for cowardly idiots who don't have the cunning to escape a paper bag.

Be it an English boarding school or American fraternity row, there is always a necessity for a loser house. That's just the way things are.

Obligatory Toast fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Sep 4, 2010

Obligatory Toast
Mar 19, 2007

What am I reading here??

FrensaGeran posted:

Another question that will surely be answered if I keep reading but I can't help it: 5th year is prefect, 7th year is head boy. What do 6th years do? Will Ron and Hermione be prefects next year, and if so, what about the incoming 5th years? Are there 4 prefects for every house?

6th year still has prefects. Yeah, they're prefects in the 6th book but it's barely mentioned. I don't know what happens with incoming 5th years, but I'm sure they just add on to the prefects. It isn't brought up, though.

Obligatory Toast
Mar 19, 2007

What am I reading here??

Hobnob posted:

Hell, up until 1960 or so prefects at Eton could actually cane other boys (Google "pop-tanning" for the gory details.) Such things were a staple of Boy's School Stories pre-WWII, so I'm sure the practice was widespread at one time.

I wouldn't be terribly surprised if the ability of prefects to hand out some form of punishment doesn't hang on somewhere.

... Eton is also the school that one of the minor characters in HP was going to go to. Huh. How weird.

Obligatory Toast
Mar 19, 2007

What am I reading here??

Decius posted:

If Rowlings had shown that more people in Slytherin stayed and fought instead of leaving in book 7 it would have gone a long way to show more redeeming qualities in them. So we only have Slughorn, Snape and two unnamed Slytherin people.
Phineas Nigellus, despite being kind of a dick proved to be pretty decent. Also, let's not forget Regulus Black, who pretty much started the whole tipping point of Voldemort's downfall. I had heard that Rowling had planned to put a relative of the Weasley's in Slytherin, but that idea didn't pan out, I suppose.
the subject.

quote:

By the way, am I the only one who finds it odd that wizards apparently don't need to know more than 4th grade English, Math, Geography, Physics... Seems wizards don't need to bother with Irrational numbers or which continent Uruguay is on. Even worse for pure-bloods who apparently don't have any formal education before attending Hogwarts.
Nah, I thought it was weird too, but some of those things have no bearing on their own little crazy world, really. I think Arithmancy is as close as the wizards get to advanced, theoretical mathematics.

quote:

Didn't Harry end up as an Auror? I thought you needed high marks for that.
It's never stated what he ever does. I guess he ended up like his dad did, and basically lived off his inheritances. Although, considering his personality I would hope that he worked.

If he did become an Auror, I imagine that he would get in based on his unique circumstances, and the whole upturn at the ministry.

Edit: I think that some of this stuff is answered in post interviews with Rowling. I haven't read them, but does anybody have any links?

Obligatory Toast fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Sep 5, 2010

Obligatory Toast
Mar 19, 2007

What am I reading here??

Clara posted:

JKR gave a lot of information about what everyone did after school in interviews. http://www.beyondhogwarts.com/harry-potter/articles/jk-rowling-goes-beyond-the-epilogue.html

Okay so Harry and Ron do become Aurors, good. Thanks for this.

Obligatory Toast
Mar 19, 2007

What am I reading here??

Hedrigall posted:

Oh my, Mark (of Mark Reads Harry Potter) did not respond well to Sirius's death :(
I know. I was really concerned.

Then people posted this in the comments:

quote:

ITS CURTAINS FOR YOU, SIRIUS BLACK.

quote:

LACY, GENTLY WAFTING CURTAINS.

And gently caress me I could not stop laughing.

Obligatory Toast
Mar 19, 2007

What am I reading here??

Soy Sauce Beast posted:

So I just discovered the magic that is A Very Potter Musical. There are some audio issues (sometimes the instruments drown out the singing, or the spoken dialogue is a little quiet) but it is one of the funniest things I've seen in a while.

The sequel, A Very Potter Sequel, is pretty good too, but not as funny as the original.

If it's wrong for me to like how they do Umbridge in this then I never, ever, want to be right.

Obligatory Toast
Mar 19, 2007

What am I reading here??

FrensaGeran posted:

Six and a half billion pages later and I'm done with Order. The "each book is better than the last" trend holds true five books in.

Congrats! The trend will probably hold up for the 6th and 7th - which is good because they're both shorter than OotP.

Obligatory Toast
Mar 19, 2007

What am I reading here??

Dickeye posted:

Quick question, why didn't the US get a cover as rad as this

That's some bullshit right there

Because we'd poo poo ourselves to death from awesome.

I mean, Jesus poo poo. Look at it. I have to go change pants now.

Obligatory Toast
Mar 19, 2007

What am I reading here??

Slowpoke! posted:

There are a lot of different covers for the various versions of each HP book and I'm convinced America got the worst ones. They don't even look good on the bookshelf when you just see the binding.

I dunno, the Italian and French ones supposedly suck.

The original Japanese ones are a mess, IMO. The new ones are a little more sleek, but they're ambiguous as gently caress.

Obligatory Toast
Mar 19, 2007

What am I reading here??

LividLiquid posted:

In addition to what others have said, the first one or two books also change some words. Bogeys is changed to boogers, for instance. I assume much like they thought Americans wouldn't know what a philosopher was :doh: they also figured kids wouldn't get the slang.

Later on nobody bothered.

The 11 year old me was terribly confused when they dropped all the changes in the second book.

I was able to figure out most of the poo poo by context by then, though.

Obligatory Toast
Mar 19, 2007

What am I reading here??

Dimentia posted:

I remember there being a 5-second bit in the film version where Harry started babbling in Parseltongue and Riddle told him that the Basilisk only listens to the heir, but I can't remember if it was in the book.

But the whole horcrux vs. horcrux thing does bring up a good point - both Harry and the book harbour just the souls of Voldemort, not his flesh and blood, so they should have equal authority.
They should, but Harry didn't know that until way later and Voldemort is kind of a fuckwit and never found out about that.

Obligatory Toast
Mar 19, 2007

What am I reading here??

Hedrigall posted:

So uh, Mark of MRHP's new review is... well... :psyduck:

Personally, I'm up to chapter 23 ("Horcruxes", I love this chapter) of Half-Blood Prince. One thing I've sort of realised on this, my 4th time through this book, is that the story constitutes the most normal, uninterrupted school year Harry has had since year 1. Granted, there is the complication of the cursing of Katie and the poisoning of Ron, but everything carries on like normal for Hogwarts despite that. Every other book, Hogwarts has been under some huge threat or disruption (the Chamber opening in CoS, the Dementors and the threat of Sirius in PoA, the Triwizard Tournament in GoF, and Umbridge's control in OotP).

Maybe this relative normalcy of the school year is why a lot of people consider HBP to be quite a bland book. Personally I love it, even though it feels way shorter than the other "big" books of the series. And technically, it is. It's the shortest of the final 4 books. The word count for each book is as follows:

Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone - 76,944
Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets - 85,141
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban - 107,253
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire - 190,637
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix - 257,045
Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince - 168,923
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - 198,227

Despite 30k words different between book 6 and 7, the page count is identical for the UK editions. If you look at a random page in each book, you can see how big they made the font size for book 6 to artificially boost the page count. I wonder why they did this? God knows how many trees they would have saved by making the font smaller, thus each book shorter (fact: HBP sold 9 million copies in the first 24 hours, and another ~55 million since)
What? That's... odd. They didn't change the typeface at all for the US editions - the only time they do change it is basically for inserts like notes, letters, and newspaper articles.

Obligatory Toast
Mar 19, 2007

What am I reading here??
Sometimes being logical means a really short and depressing book.

When you're writing a series that's popular, you'll basically be encouraged by your fans and publishers not to end it prematurely.

... Or in some cases, ever.

Obligatory Toast
Mar 19, 2007

What am I reading here??

Hedrigall posted:

Ahahaha Mark's freaking out about a chapter in Half-Blood Prince and he's still not up to the mindfuck which is the last 5 or so chapters. :allears:

I think I actually had figured out most of what he hasn't (and is freaking out about) by this point in the book.

Obligatory Toast
Mar 19, 2007

What am I reading here??

bitterandtwisted posted:

Harry's friends and the whole magical world only existed in his head as an escapist fantasy brought on by his abusive upbringing. Rowling is writing an eighth book where he gets the help he needs and starts to rehabilitate into society.

If this were the case I'd still loving read it.

Edit: I'm totally calling a series based around the Marauder's and the rise of Voldemort.

Edit2: Damnit! Oh well. It was a wonderful interview. :unsmith:

Obligatory Toast fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Oct 1, 2010

Obligatory Toast
Mar 19, 2007

What am I reading here??

AA is for Quitters posted:

I really hope that after the encyclopedia comes out, she opens up the universe to EU stuff.

There is absolutely no need for anyone to ever mention the canon characters-there is just so much that can be done with the universe as it is that would be amazing. A story of a small-time death eater, and how he got roped into the dark and seedy world with promises of power and friendship.

Hell, a story about an American wizard, or an Aussie one, or anywhere else, really, using the framework of magic that Rowling already set up.

I mean, yeah, there's fanfic, but since 90% of it is Harry and either Draco or Snape falling in love, I'd rather not have to slog through all that to find the few gems of people who just really love the potterverse and the awesome framework already laid out to use it as a jumping-off point for their own stories.
This is exactly what HP does not need and has never needed.

Edit: VVV Gaze upon Thrawn's post and realize he is right.

Obligatory Toast fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Oct 6, 2010

Obligatory Toast
Mar 19, 2007

What am I reading here??
Basically Thrawn's Starwars EU thread covers pretty much everything awful about EU. I'm not going to deny there's some good in it, but there's a fuckton more bad than you'll ever want.

Knowing HP's fanbase, how do you think an EU for HP is going to go? I don't want to give people like Cassandra Claire an excuse to keep publishing.

Obligatory Toast
Mar 19, 2007

What am I reading here??
Oh God, Hedrigall, whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

VVV OH GOD NO MORE

Obligatory Toast fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Oct 15, 2010

Obligatory Toast
Mar 19, 2007

What am I reading here??

Chamberk posted:

Okay, I forgot they broke out of Gringott's on the back of a loving dragon. Epic.

I love that scene. It's just so loving metal. :black101:

Obligatory Toast
Mar 19, 2007

What am I reading here??

...of SCIENCE! posted:

The thing I don't get is that they explicitly have Harry having a stag as a Patronus, it seems like if they were going to do furry fanart they'd run with that.

Not nearly popular enough in the furry community, unforch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Obligatory Toast
Mar 19, 2007

What am I reading here??

IRQ posted:

No no, it's off of course, but most of it was just regular old porn, some rather mundane drawings, and your average non sequitur results like a dude on a raft and a Steyr Aug.

It could also be that I've been on the internet too long.

e: It may also be that I've been in the Bad Thread too long.

GRRM really does desensitize the poo poo out of you.

• Locked thread