Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

For all those asking about Hufflepuffs, I present to you from the BBC radio show "That Mitchell and Webb Sound":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXF4JuA6tcg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

re: Flying/Apparition. Having just listened to the books against recently, in the 7th book they mention that wizards can't do apparition over incredibly long distances (i.e. Voldemort has to fly from his Horcrux cave for a while before he can apparate to Hogwarts).

And in the first book, Hagrid tells Harry that he flew to the island where Harry and the Dursleys were hiding out. So I guess flying isn't that big of deal.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

geeves posted:

Harry was tied to Voldemort not only by the horcrux, but also by blood from when Voldemort created a new body at the end of GoF (Dumbledore's brief look of triumph). Because of Lily's sacrifice and Harry's blood running through Voldemort's new body, this gave Harry a magical lifeline of sorts to choose to live.

I always thought that when Voldemort "killed" Harry at the end of Hallows, it was just his the part of his own soul he was killing instead. Lily's sacrifice had nothing to do with it that time.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Strategic Tea posted:

The absolute worst example of that was Neville in the last film, when he confronts Voldemort. Oh my god. By this point he's a hero who's spent a year being tortured and fighting a guerilla rebellion inside the school.

So naturally the film has him speak with the same terror and lack of conviction he'd have if he was being bullied five books ago while the death eaters have a laugh. Because he is A Joke Character and must be Funny and Weak at all times :rolleyes:

I didn't get that impression at all from the film.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Also, except for Mad Eye in book 4, no one at the school was teaching "How to Murder'. I would hope a killing spell would be a lot more difficult to learn than levitating.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

veekie posted:

More than that, I think. She knows there's a good chance she isn't coming out of this alive, and would rather that they don't suffer for losing her in that case. Kinda heavy handed(if she'd asked them they'd surely rather remember), but you can see the reasoning.

Also, she's seventeen. She may be the brightest kid at Hogwarts, but she's still immature in some manners.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Sigh I guess I'm the only one who was happy that Harry and Ginny ended up together.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

And if Draco got a "new" wand when he won the Elder Wand from Dumbledore, why wouldn't his other wand "choose" a new owner?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

A. Beaverhausen posted:

I was 16 going on 17 when the last book came out...there are 7 year olds who weren't even alive...is this what aging feels like?

I saw Back to the Future in theaters. You know, the film from 1985 where Michael J Fox travels back to the distant world of 1955? Next year it will be thirty years from 1985.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Quidditch was awesome simply for the commentary.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

ashez2ashes posted:

I don't think JK Rowling meant for the Dursley abuse to be marginalized or downplayed. I think it seems that way because the story is from Harry's perspective. It's Harry's "normal" and he doesn't realize how hosed up it is.

I bet it's something that Ron and Hermione have talked about when Harry's not around. Even Ron knew enough to get his brothers to get Harry in the dead of night in Second Year when he thought Harry wasn't getting his letters. I don't think the Weasley parents realized the extent until 4th year, though.

It may have been in the movies, but it might have been the books, where after Ron, Fred, and George rescue Harry and take him back to the Burrow, Mrs Weasley tells Harry that she and Mr Weasley were already planning to come and get him anyway since they hadn't heard from him.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

MrFlibble posted:

The movies were going to have Rik Mayall as Peeves and it frustrates me now that we'll never see Maggie Smith telling him that it 'unscrews the other way'. He would have been about as perfect a peeves as you could get.

Apparently, he was Peeves, as in they filmed his scenes for the first movie and everything, but ended up cutting them out. They've never released as deleted scenes, either.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Captain Mog posted:

Just an aside: I recently re-watched every single one of the HP films this past weekend with the boyfriend and I have to say this: for years I've been convinced (like most) that Prisoner of Azkhaban was the best film, followed by Order of the Phoenix shortly thereafter. But this time around, my mid-twenties self decided that Half-Blood Prince is the best by far and I can't for the life of me see why anyone would feel differently. I honestly love all of the movies but HBP is really the only one that, in my opinion, transcends itself and becomes an actual great piece of cinema. The way it is shot- in green-gray tones, with much greater intimacy than prior movies, with special attention paid to individual characters- makes it really stand out on from the other entries in terms of its cinematography. It's also absolutely genius in its character study of Draco, Snape and Harry and the one obvious scene near the end of the film still feels like a sucker punch to this day. It's kind of a black sheep in general because it's by far the darkest of all the books/movies (including DH) but I feel like time will vindicate it as the greatest of all of them honestly.

HBP is my favorite of the films to. It's really the only one where the kids are just allowed to just be kids, since there's nothing life threatening happening (that they're aware of). POA is actually one of my least favorites, mainly because there seems to be a too much slapstick humor that feels out of place. Plus, a couple of the Hagrid effects are just horrible, and it always jars me out of the film.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

It's also the only one that wasn't adapted by Steve Kloves (who was feeling burned out by Potter at that point and needed a rest).

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Some of my favorite character moments are from OotP. There's one where the kids are coming back from Hogsmeade, and Hermione brings up the way Cho was looking at Harry and just for the briefest moment the camera pauses on Ginny's face who looks heartbroken.

And then the scene in the Room of Requirement, where everyone's leaving, and Ginny is one of the last ones out, looking back, leaving Harry and Cho the only ones in the room.

And when Ginny successfully does the Reducto curse, the utter look of elation on her face, and Harry responds in kind, is such joy to watch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Chamale posted:

There's a great moment they came up with in Deathly Hallows Part Two. When Harry seemingly comes back to life after his body is brought back to the castle, there's a shot where almost everyone stands around astonished. Except Molly, who mutters "Fred" and turns back towards the castle.

There's a scene in PoA too, when Lupin turns into the wolf, and Snape pushes Harry, Hermione, and Ron behind him.

• Locked thread