Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I feel a little weird linking to a place like Fandom_Wank, but if you want to hear about insane shippers doing insane poo poo, they're top-notch. There's some 540+ entries for Harry Potter as a series, and 70 entries just for Harry/Hermione shippers. It's mostly centered around the livejournal and fanfiction parts of the internet, and I think they still have the entire Cassandra Claire saga buried in there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I managed to dodge most of the leaks and fake books at the time, so when book seven came out I bought it on the way to work that morning and read it before my shift. (apparently all our customers were home reading it too, so I wasn't really needed :v:) Still took two or three hours. I suppose it's not really relevant, but I haven't really thought about Deathly Hallows since I finished it. I'm all nostalgic.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

ImpAtom posted:

To be honest the thing that always confused me the most was "how the gently caress are the Weasleys so poor?"

I mean the answer honestly appears to be that they're insanely lovely with money. "We won the Wizard lottery? Time to blow all that money on a vacation!"

You can hardly blame them, the currency is insane. Making change sounds nightmarish when it's 29 Knuts to a Sickle and 17 Sickles to a Galleon. I am neither a mathematician nor an economist, but I'm pretty sure neither of those values should be prime numbers. Heaven forbid you want to split a Galleon with someone. Maybe this is what all those Arithmancy classes were for?

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Didn't Hermione do something like mind-wipe her parents, change their identities, and send them to another country? She's panicky under pressure, but she can pull off some seriously scary poo poo. I think the casual danger at Hogwarts (seriously, that troll would have killed her, and how did the entire school staff not know there was a basilisk, petrification only has so many causes) is to weed that sort of thing out.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Like, what's the appropriate response when you wake up one day and realize that your daughter put you in the Witness Protection Plan without your knowledge and/or permission? Do you ground her, can you even try? What if they adopt a child or something while they're over there, because they always wanted to a kid but inexplicably don't have one. Jesus, wizards are scary as shut, maybe we need Dark Lords to keep the magical population down.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

ImpAtom posted:

It was one of the death eaters and yeah, that was a straight-up plot hole.

Maybe she can only do memory spells that make you think you're Australian.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Neville Longbottom's parents were tortured by Death Eaters until they went crazy, and Snape was still the person Neville saw when he faced a Boggart. A Bad Teacher.

• Locked thread