Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Harashaw posted:

I'm pretty sure Rowling's said in an interview that in a one-on-one fight between the average gun-proficient Muggle and the average duel magic-proficient wizard, the Muggle wins.

Sure works in puppet form!

http://www.potterpuppetpals.com/pppmain/Channels/Trouble.htm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Hedrigall posted:

The mantras of this thread that everyone should keep in mind are
a) It's a children's book
b) It's for fun
c) A wizard did it

Seriously. In fact I might add that to the OP.

To quote MST3K:
If you're wondering how he eats and breathes
and other science facts (la-la-la),
Just repeat to yourself, "It's just a show,
I should really just relax..."

Just replace show with book and we're golden.

LooseChanj posted:

I think this is a problem with any story involving magic in a modern setting. There just aren't a whole lot of normal everyday problems technology hasn't solved. I should test this theory by reading a Dresden novel or something.

Butcher tackles this really well, actually. The faeries in The Dresden files are really affected by cold iron, and so Harry runs off to Wal Mart and buys a bunch of box cutters to arm his little army of defect faries with, so they can cut the poo poo out of the big bad ones. And then there's the scene where one of the normals ends up driving a jeep (I think. It's a car at least) into this monster, pinning it between the car and a wall, and then using a goddamn chainsaw on it.

Really, the series marries magic and technology very well.

Soysaucebeast fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Aug 15, 2010

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

ConfusedUs posted:

That's all in book 4, too. It gets better from there.

Though you are mixing up a few things. Hitting a monster with a car and using a chainsaw on a monster are two separate occurances, with two separate monsters. I'll forgive you because the two fights do happen as part of the same setpiece.

Ah, my mistake. It's been a while since I read that book, so I guess it got all muddled up in my head.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Silhouette posted:

And I agree about the previous generation. I pictured Trent Reznor as Sirius when reading OoTP because of the illustrations of Sirius in the books looking just like him.

So I know who Reznor is, but had no idea what he looked like, so I looked him up. And yes, that is Sirius. drat, it's spot on.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Paragon8 posted:

I'm glad you like it! I've started a reread.

Does anyone think it's worth starting a Magicians thread?
As soon as I finish the book I'm reading now, I'm going to start it. So I'd be interested in a thread.

Soysaucebeast fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Aug 20, 2010

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Cap. Monocle posted:

If they told the Muggle government about Voldemort the next book would have been five pages long. I don't think Wizards have a block incoming cruise missile traveling at mach 8" spell.

Well, they did at the beginning of book six. Voldy still got two full books worth of rampaging time.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Hedrigall posted:

I just discovered this blog, in which a guy reads and comments upon the Harry Potter books with nearly no prior knowledge of the books or the movies. It's hilarious. Here's an excerpt:

Goddamnit, I just read his entire blog, and now I want him to read more/faster, so I can read more. Augh, why do you do this to me.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

caleramaen posted:

Same here. He does say "This poo poo just got real!" a bit too often though. It does get a little annoying after a while. But his generally insightful comments coupled with his great POV's make up for it.

Well, he writes exactly like my Harry Potter nerd friend and I do in IMs and texts to each other when we're nerding out over things like that. So it's got the added bonus of sounding exactly like my friend, who does say "poo poo just got real!" way too much.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Ben Davis posted:

Can anyone recommend any worthwhile fanfics? Someone recommended A Year Like None Other in the last A/T thread, but I've finished it and I need my Harry Potter fix :(

I know it's not really well liked because the author stole lots of lines from other places, but I've always been partial to the Draco Dormiens/Veritas/Sinister Trilogy. They're set after book four, and are basically Cassandra Claire's version of books five, six and seven. I can't find it online, so as soon as the megaupload of all three PDFs is finished uploading, I'll link it here.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=ALAN54RZ

Soysaucebeast fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Aug 23, 2010

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Bagpuss posted:

I've been loving reading his reviews apart from the terrible site design. It's almost like reading them for the first time again. Also I just realised that when Petunia says "I heard--that awful boy--telling her about them--years ago," about dementors she's talking about Snape, not James.

Edit: In the time it took me write that he's put the next chapter up!

:aaaaa:

drat, I never put two and two together. That's awesome. Also, yea, that's what I love about the Mark Reads thing, it really is like reading the series again for the first time. It's hilarious, insightful, and nostalgic all at the same time.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

StealthStealth posted:

I've just reread the whole series thanks to Mark (was trying to read with him, got all caught up mid-PoA and barged on ahead), and it's been fantastically fun rereading them all. I love this world and all the people and how much fun it is, and reliving the frantic theorizing between books.

Favorite Harry Potter memory: Me, giant nerd, collapsing outside B&N at about 12:30 AM the night of the seventh book, half-laughing and half-crying after reading the dedication.

That's still the only book I've ever camped out for.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

TypohoidTimmy posted:

:words:
Right around when the third book came out, my friend loaned me the first one to read. I was in the same boat as you, I thought they were kiddy books (even though I was only about 11/12 at the time), and I was completely disinterested. But I took it anyway and figured I'd just say I had read it and didn't much like it. My dad noticed it laying around my house, picked it up and read it, and was enthralled. He told me "at least read the first chapter, and if you're not into it, then you can stop." So I did. And holy crap did I get sucked into those books.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Pththya-lyi posted:

GoF sperging.
The Goblet of Fire is just a weird book all around. Ignoring the loopholes with entering, there's the fact that Harry really doesn't want to compete to begin with. It strains his friendships, and he realizes that he's just completely outclasses for once. And yet he acts like he's going to get punished for no competing (even when no one else really wants to either). What's to keep him from just sitting in the stands with Ron and Hermione each event? I could see him getting all up in arms about the second one, mostly because he's a heroic dumbass, but still.

There's even a Cracked Article about it (it's the second one on that page).

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

So I just discovered the magic that is A Very Potter Musical. There are some audio issues (sometimes the instruments drown out the singing, or the spoken dialogue is a little quiet) but it is one of the funniest things I've seen in a while.

The sequel, A Very Potter Sequel, is pretty good too, but not as funny as the original.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Obligatory Toast posted:

If it's wrong for me to like how they do Umbridge in this then I never, ever, want to be right.

Honestly, I love how the portray nearly all the characters. I love Harry as a kind of arrogant douche (I'm Harry freaking Potter!), and I love how Draco is always randomly rolling/sliding along the floor. And Goyle floors me every time he speaks.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

daggerdragon posted:

Is this fully subtitled anywhere? Youtube only gives me certain parts subtitled. :(

I'm not sure, but I'm sure the creators would know. http://www.teamstarkid.com/

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

...of SCIENCE! posted:

The Hagrid notes are awesome, in book 3 when they receive the letter from him about Buckbeak being taken away the paper is actually tear-stained and the ink is all smeared. :3:

It's like that in the US version too. Or at least, it is in my version, I could go to some bizarro book store or something.

vv Ah, I misunderstood. vv

Soysaucebeast fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Sep 13, 2010

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

FrensaGeran posted:

Well I figure if Hogwarts students are taught about the Unforgivable Curses by being told exactly what they are and what they do, it's not so unreasonable for a library to house detailed instructions on how to rule the world.

But they weren't supposed to be. Moody (aside from not being who he was expected to be), was very much "gently caress the ministry, I do what I want." I think Hermione even mentions that it's illegal for him to perform them in the class. And if not spiders, then the Imperius on the whole class is definitely illegal. Moody just didn't give a gently caress, and I'm not sure Dumbledor knew he was going to go that far.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Chamberk posted:

I know it's been said already, but christ, gently caress that guy's site design. I like what posts I've read, but drat, it's drat near unnavigable.

He posted a list of all his posts in an organized fashion. It only goes up to chapter ten of HBP though, so from that point on, just click the "previous post" button in each post to go to the next chapter.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

bitterandtwisted posted:

When Mrs Weasley asks Moody to check a wardrobe for Bogarts he just uses his eye to see right through the wood, so would that mean he saw the Bogart's 'true' form, or would it know it was being watched and turn into something he was scared of?
Also When Moody saw the socks Dobby gave Harry, why exactly was he using his eye to see through Harry's robes? :raise:

I'm almost certain I've read somewhere that Moody is the only person who has seen a boggart's true form.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

So Mark just saw Snape kill Dumbledore. It's making me sad about it all over again. :(

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Chamberk posted:

The MRHP blog is pretty fun to read, if only to see how someone reacts to the books the first time. By this point I've known that Sirius was good and Lupin a werewolf since 2000. It's hilarious that these facts are blowing his mind now.

That's why I like the blog so much too. It's almost like reading the entire series again for the first time.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Reminds me of this.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

drkhrs2020 posted:

This is staggeringly familiar and I don't know why. Who's the artist?

It's by this guy, but I can't find it on his website right now.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Honestly, since watching A Very Potter Sequel, I can't see as Umbridge as anyone but this guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Biplane posted:

Holy shiiit thi is amazing!

A Very Potter Musical is really good and done by those same guys. It's the first play in their series, with AVPSequel being the second.

• Locked thread