Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

icantfindaname posted:

so basically Magic England is a totalitarian state?

There is a magical sensor on every underage mage in England that was put into place and is maintained just to keep anyone from having to "deal with the bother of solving Muggles problems for them".

Does that sound legitimate to you or is that explanation way to hand wavy for any truly free society to accept?

NOITAMROFNI EROM ROF RELBBIUQ TSETAL EHT DAER

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

No reason to argue that if Voldemort knew what Sectemsempra does (and it seems like his kinda spell and Snape did legitimately work for him for a while), the soul-piece let Harry do it.

"Well Mr. Snape when you applied to become a death eater we were really impressed with the resume itself; dark and brooding childhood and of course all of those poison extracurriculars didn't hurt one bit! But I am seeing down here in the "Notable Evil" column you have something written... Invented Sectemsempra? Would you mind talking a little about that?"

Paints an interesting picture of the review process for what must have been pretty tough positions to get during the initial dark reign.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
I was bored in school a lot so OoTP was always my favorite, there is so much to READ in that mofo.

Also all of Hogwarts banding together to throw out Umbridge was an amazing story that always felt really awesome to me, especially peeves running her out with the transfiguration teacher's cane.

I felt like Harry was pretty much justified in his angsting in that one; everybody had been lying to and otherwise leaving Harry isolated; I felt like I would have been smashing Dumbledore's fancy wizard poo poo too.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Guy A. Person posted:

It's pretty inconsistent in general but the short answer is that the fireplace needs to be hooked up to a floo network and use floo powder which might (?) be expensive; and the teleporting magic is dangerous, plus can't be done in a lot of places like Hogwarts.

Another important point is that the Floo Network has to go through channels that the ministry can monitor; so any message you send through the network is at least going to let the ministry know the metadata (who was doing the sending; when; to whom), meanwhile if you use an owl or a patronous charm the ministry actually has to already have you on a watch-list or have total control of your environment (Hogwarts) to go through your mail.

Now obviously most wizards aren't crazy survivalists or worried at all about the wizard NSA so I am just gonna start waving my hands and say that not only do you have to buy the powder but the ministry of magic probably has a tax in place to stop you from wasting everyone's precious fireplace time with your howlers about Fudge's fascist political aspirations and your opposition to his updated transfiguration protocols.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
If you look like a jerk and smell like a jerk and coincidentally you spend every day of your life being a jerk to people you just might have been a jerk all along.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Trin Tragula posted:

It's a school story. Schools in school stories have a bullying teacher and a boring teacher. It's like complaining that the hero of a Western rides a horse.

Alternatively after the Ministry of Magic put down the last Goblin rebellion they realized that letting students have any kind of critical thinking or historical skills was creating sympathizers for racial equality and so the privileged ministry officials and the old pureblood families on the school board gutted the curriculum.

• Locked thread