Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

NO ONE risks painful injury on your GREEN SLIME GHOST POGO RIDE.

No one but YOU.
Thanks to this thread (and an upcoming Disneyland/Californian theme parks) trip, I've bought The Magicians and all 7 'Mark Reads Potter' books. I'm surprised how quick the Mark Reads books got here - less than a week, which is impressive for :australia:

Is Pottermore still a complete waste of time? I think I got in when it first started thanks to some friends on tumblr and was bored almost instantly.

MOR is complete trash poo poo that tries to use pop culture references (aside from the Potter framing) to brainwash kids (Harry gets Rincewind's Luggage but not really! Lightsabers! Darth Vader outfits! Acorn-bombs!) into being spergy fuckstains.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

No one but YOU.
Should've brought back the Time Turner and made Hermione both prefects.

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

No one but YOU.

Alhazred posted:

The cruelest punishment.

Man, British wizards really are 200 years behind the times.

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

No one but YOU.

Glenn posted:

"For some reason"?

Congratulations, you picked up on some basic sarcasm!

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

No one but YOU.

Grinnblade posted:

EDIT: While I'm here, how is Pottermore? I never really looked at it much outside of the initial announcement. Is it worth it for fans of the series?

Do you feel like playing the same 20 minutes worth of a point and click flash game across the course of a year?

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

No one but YOU.
That's a hell of a lot of heteroness right there. Are we gonna get another word of god three months from now saying "Oh, Rita didn't want to mudsling about anybody's sexuality"?

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

No one but YOU.

Justin Godscock posted:

Rowling had to go by her first two initials because Scholastic thought boys wouldn't read a book by a "...girl" (because apparently girls don't read). Yeah, they weren't too bright back then and thankfully HP blowing the gently caress up made them re-think their ways.

K.A.Applegate too.

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

No one but YOU.
Hogwarts staff positions were just a carrot he used as a manipulation tool.

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

No one but YOU.
Joanne realised how big of a plothole they were so she had that one Death Eater destroy them all (then get his hosed up head turned into a baby what the gently caress happened in that weird 'let's study metaphysics' place)

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

No one but YOU.

TARDISman posted:

I'm still a little curious about the brain room.

"Thoughts" or "A mind", vs "Time", "Fate", "Death", there's probably one with a open freezer full of human hearts where Dumbledore discovered about Lily's sacrifice by experimenting on Love.

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

No one but YOU.
"EY BOB WHERE DO YOU WANT THE NEW SHIPMENT OF MAGICALLY INFUSED HUMAN BRAINS FROM DEAD CHILDREN?"
"Shove 'em in the 'what the gently caress is a mind' room you idiot! Same place as last week"
*magically enchanted tonka truck backs into the department of mysteries and empties its rear hatch dumping a seemingly infinite number of brains into the big pile of loving disembodied brains*
"Hey did anyone get rid of that adult with the baby's head from when those loving kids broke in?"

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

No one but YOU.

thexerox123 posted:

I just saw something posted elsewhere that had never occurred to me before.... it's been shown that exposure to horcruxes can influence your thoughts and darken your mind.... and the Dursleys were exposed to a horcrux for 10 years.

(They still seemed awful before, and I'm sure this wasn't planned by Rowling, but... still, it kind of fits!)

Yeah god knows that abuse victims have never been told they have an innate aspect of their very being that causes their abusers to hurt them and that they will end up hurting those who love them by their very presence before; and they need to hear that now from some stupid loving photo post on tumblr.

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

No one but YOU.

bobjr posted:

If Snape was the only bad teacher that would make sense, but in a school where bad teachers outnumber good ones it's probably a smart cover.

How can Binns be SO loving BAD at his job that he keeps it post mortem? That still annoys me, just so Joanne didn't have to flesh out history much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

No one but YOU.

Trin Tragula posted:

It's a school story. Schools in school stories have a bullying teacher and a boring teacher. It's like complaining that the hero of a Western rides a horse.

I prefer to interact with the series as if Hogwarts was a real place than just going "It's cliche that's why it doesn't matter that people are triggered by the Dursley's abuse" as has happened in this thread previously.

• Locked thread