Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

Swing low, sweet chariot

Vengarr posted:

You know how people read "A Wizard of Oz" a hundred years later as a metaphor for the gold standard debate and turn-of-the-century politics?

Well, it just occured to me that Harry Potter is an extended metaphor/prediction for the rise of the British National Party. I know my mind is blown.

What rise? As far as I know they lost absolutely all their council seats in the last election.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

Swing low, sweet chariot

reflir posted:

If the golden snitch wasn't worth 150 points, how could Harry dramatically and decisively win matches and accrue glory?

Don't Griffindor end up winning the cup in the fifth and sixth seasons without Harry?

Not that that's any better; she obviously couldn't be bothered to write any more matches so just removed Harry from them.

Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

Swing low, sweet chariot

Not A Bear posted:

Its probably the 'old style' of learning that Terry Pratchett refers to, where you put students in the presence of large amounts of knowledge and hope that something passes from one to the other

Hopefully the students don't get into the Forbidden section of the Library and end up as a Dark Lord of magic again though

Pretty much- that library seemed to have information on everything from first year background reading to the magical equivalent of a ballistic missile schematic.

It's always fun pointing out the scary subtext to a children's book series. My favourite ones:

Harry and Ginny's kids have names that are important to Harry, so you have to wonder at the nature of their relationship if Ginny doesn't get a say in naming her own kids. Also Albus Severus, named after two people who comprehensively ruined Harry's life.

There only seems to be one source of news and information, and the government has heavy control over it.

All the kids are carrying weapons, with the capacity to seriously hurt and wipe minds. There are widely available potions that amount to raping people; how is the Imperius curse that much worse than the love potions Fred and George were selling?

Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

Swing low, sweet chariot
Doesn't stop people from dodging the curse by apparating. The fight in the 5th book between Dumbledore and Voldemort was great, and personally I found it much more entertaining and exciting than the film.

Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

Swing low, sweet chariot

Guy A. Person posted:

IIRC it wasn't even a rumor, Dumbledore flat out says it in book 6. And the point it becomes cursed is when Voldemort is rejected for the position, which is well before he became the dark lord. So you're talking in the area of 30 DatDA teachers before Quirrel even starts in book 1.

That was such a good moment:

"Oh, he definitely wanted defence against the dark arts. The aftermath of our little meeting showed that. You see, no one has been able to hold the defence against the dark arts post for more than a year after I refused to post to Lord Voldemort.

• Locked thread