Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cobweb Heart
Mar 31, 2010

I need you to wear this. I need you to wear this all the time. It's office policy.

Levitate posted:

The most annoying thing to me about the Harry Potter books is that there didn't seem to be any real rhyme or reason to the magic "system"...

This is probably the thing that annoys me the most about the series. I wish Rowling could have spend just a couple of paragraphs in the first few books explaining a bit more about how magic works, because as it is, it seems ridiculously overpowered and the reader's forced to assume there are all sorts of rules that the book never actually states. There are a lot of things mentioned briefly that seem like they should just completely ruin the way magic works - like the fact that wizards can direct magic through any implement, not just wands, or the fact that there are Time-Turners and nobody uses them for the main plot except once in the third book, even though there's a pivotal point in the fifth where every character runs right past vats of them.

But I guess at some point this just turns into nerd complaining, so I'll shut up.

vvv I just realized I sounded pretty pissed off at the books, too, so I'll add that I really like the Harry Potter series and the thing that most annoys me is pretty much the only thing that annoys me. Besides Ginny's subplot.

Cobweb Heart fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Aug 11, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cobweb Heart
Mar 31, 2010

I need you to wear this. I need you to wear this all the time. It's office policy.
I only got something like 75 out of 200 on that thing.

I swear to god I can recall pretty much every single one of the characters and what their role in the plot was, even the ones that weren't mentioned enough to make it on the list. My stupid-rear end brain just wasn't cooperating. I even somehow missed the Dursleys. :(

Cobweb Heart
Mar 31, 2010

All right, this is everal months late, but to the guy who was complaining about the cardboard box in GoF - the Muggle Studies teacher had procured it for her class. Then she stored it in a random broom closet.

edit: If the encyclopedia thing ever does get written, I hope JK Rowling mentions a bit more about the dementors, because I don't really think they were explored enough in the books. They're mentioned as being furious about certain things, or the Ministry orders them to do various tasks. So... can they talk?

In fact, what the gently caress is a dementor, anyway? Were they once human? Are they abortive attempts at fabricating human life without a soul? Why couldn't Harry just find some dementors terrorizing Muggles, force them into slavery under threat of Patronus, and have them sniff out bits of Voldemort's soul like hunting dogs? Then they could just eat the Horcruxes. It's not Voldemort has ever practiced or even heard of a Patronus in his life.

Cobweb Heart fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Mar 2, 2011

• Locked thread