Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Harashaw
Aug 8, 2010
I've not read them all since then, but I've reread the later ones in order.

Also, I loving love the white covers in your post. They look so old-school.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harashaw
Aug 8, 2010
Also, he's 15. Everyone's a twat at 15.

Harashaw
Aug 8, 2010

ShardPhoenix posted:

Anyone who's a fan of Harry Potter and just a little bit of a 'sperger (this means you) should read Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality. It's arguably better written than the original series and twice as awesome.

Ugh, I hate that fic. Then again, I hate all fanfics where a loving 11 YEAR OLD is Machiavelli, Newton and Richard Dawkins all rolled into one.

I mean, bits of it were good. The whole battle magic subplot was good. Dicking about with the Time Turner was good. It's just that it all hangs on a self insert and everyone speaks like they swallowed at least 4 different textbooks.

Harashaw
Aug 8, 2010
Ginny's plot in the later books was a bit sudden, but it lead to some good scenes, so I'm pretty OK with it.

With you on Luna, though.

Harashaw
Aug 8, 2010
I'm pretty sure Rowling's said in an interview that in a one-on-one fight between the average gun-proficient Muggle and the average duel magic-proficient wizard, the Muggle wins.

Mind you, she's also said that about 3 people tops in Harry Potter have any common sense.

Harashaw
Aug 8, 2010
Wouldn't it be Thatcher in the first book?

Harashaw
Aug 8, 2010

reflir posted:

Can you provide links for either of these because I don't think you can!

...Bugger, now I actually look again, I can't.

Harashaw
Aug 8, 2010
The question is, is Hogwarts the only wizarding school in Britain? There's a huge society and infrastructure, and yet Olanphonia's estimate puts the number of magic teenagers at roughly 300-350 tops.

Harashaw
Aug 8, 2010

Decius posted:

Hell, I already would be annoyed living in that world that wizards apparently only sell wizard sweets on the train. I'm sure people would enjoy a Snickers bar just fine even if you don't have to wrestle it down as soon as you open it.

You're forgetting a fundamental aspect of what little world building Rowling did do: Wizards are smug as hell, and so cannot comprehend that Muggles could ever do anything right.

"Aeroplanes? Those things that can transport hundreds of people huge distances without the need to time a series of portkey jumps, individual flights and apparitions down to the wire? Useless."

"Telephones? Why would I want to contact someone instantly when I can wait until I'm around a fire and I just happen to have floo powder on me?"

"Food that doesn't put up a fight, and is instead just there to be eaten? Boring."

Harashaw
Aug 8, 2010
I really didn't like the way he looked in the first few movies. Something about it bugged me.

Can't really complain about the rest of the cast, though.

Harashaw
Aug 8, 2010

...of SCIENCE! posted:

I loved Alan Rickman as Snape.

YES. Alan Rickman is the perfect actor for utter bastard roles. He would have been excellent as any of the villains. Or all of them. Including Umbridge and Petunia Dursley.

Harashaw
Aug 8, 2010
THANK YOU for linking to that blog. I now love Mark like a brother.

Even if I do skip over most of the gimmick reviews.

Harashaw
Aug 8, 2010
What do you mean Rowling has no idea how to write teenage boys?

Harry's an unlikeable, egotistical prick in OoTP. Just like every 15-year old.

Harashaw
Aug 8, 2010

Paragon8 posted:

My pet theory behind why a lot of people didn't like the camping at the end of book 7 is that Hogwarts itself was the character that everyone really liked - and deviating from that probably left a lot of people unfulfilled.

Speaking as a fan of Ghormengast, Perdido Street Station, Warhammer 40K and many other books/series that feature locations that are just as alive as the cast, I think you're probably right.

The camping was pretty OK, though. It was a huge shift from the established pattern of the previous books, and that's exactly what was needed.

Harashaw
Aug 8, 2010

Pththya-lyi posted:

Muggle medicine makes wizards sick, and vice versa.

That would be interesting, but it wouldn't explain why the two cultures couldn't share. Accio has no healing properties, and there's no pennicillin in a computer.

Harashaw
Aug 8, 2010
It seems like no matter who you are or where you're from loving the Harry Potter books is some kind of universal constant.

Harashaw
Aug 8, 2010

Suprfli6 posted:

Thinking that J K Rowling controls the destiny of all existence in lieu of free will and choice does in fact keep me awake at night.

But why would she allow Twilight to happen?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harashaw
Aug 8, 2010
Ginny and Hermione are both pretty cool in that they're female characters who can actually get poo poo done. See also: Molly, Bella, Tonks and Fleur.

You'd think that would come naturally, what with them being written by a woman, but the fact is it's not that common. One more reason JK Rowling is basically the Queen of the universe.

• Locked thread