Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW
Long story short: I bought the first Harry Potter book today and started reading it for the first time. I've seen the first 4+ movies when they came out, but obviously only casually.I also know pretty much all the spoilers, but this is the very first time I've ever read anything Rowling has written. I read the first 70 pages today in the bath. If you wonder what it's like to read chapter one without knowing where the story is actually going, directly, but with knowing Snape kills Dumbldore because he wanted to nail Harrys mom and it was all a secret conspiracy to pretend it was a conspiracy for some reason also Dumbeldore was gay alll along but never actually gay! feel free to ask.

So far I'm surprised how much it reminds me of Roald Dahl. I was actually expecting it to remind me more of Pratchet, which it doesn't at all so far.

e: the tag is "spoiler," not "spoilers" apparently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

Hedrigall posted:

Dahl is obviously a huge influence on Rowling and the first book at least has that very British "hello there children, why don't you gather around while I tell a wonderfully silly tale! There once was a boy..." story-teller tone. But later on (and especially from book 3 onwards) Rowlings develops her own style, which is crowned by her perfect knack for characters.

I was thinking more along the lines of how the first four chapters or so Harry is basically Matilda.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

Paragon8 posted:

I think most author's tend to fall in the "well if you're going to write, write your own poo poo" camp which I really support. Sadly the community around fanfiction encourages people to use retreads rather than really let loose with their own worlds and such.

This is exactly what I don't get. If you have so many great ideas why the hell aren't you using your own ideas?

If you want to write a story set at Hogwarts or with Jedi or whatever, I can see that. But you want to write a story about what happens to Luke or Harry or whatever? C'mon, why?

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

MrFlibble posted:

Until the completely gratuitous fox loving maybe.

That was pretty rapey.

WTF was up with turning into geese, of all things, and not turns or gulls or something like that?

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

reflir posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Sword_in_the_Stone

At least, I always assumed that's what it referenced.

That makes sense, then. Totally missed that allusion.

blue squares: my point was that lots of birds migrate much further than geese. arctic turns do the same migration the kids did, except they start out in Alaska, Iceland or northern Canada instead of (comparatively) way down south in New York state.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW
Just aesthetically it looks like one of those 90s websites where they wanted it to look like a movie and have everything respond and interact and crap. Like the website for Waterworld or something.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

Srice posted:

A word of warning, apparently you can only download an ebook from the site 8 times total. If for whatever reason you need to download again, you're out of luck unless you pay:

That is so bizarre and insane. Why on earth would anyone think such a restrictive system is a good idea when literally every other ebook selling website lets you download stuff over and over forever?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW
The title for this thread is very confusing, Dickens is already children's lit? :confuoot:

• Locked thread