Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

It used swarthy in a sentence in a manner befitting the use of the word swarthy. I am 100% ok with this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Paragon8 posted:

Good points.

I in particular found the sudden shift from Horcruxes to Hallows pretty jarring especially as the Hallows didn't really have any prior mention.

I really enjoyed my official Harry Potter DVD catalogs having a sudden rebranding of Dumbledore's wand for the last two movies.

I liked the twist of the Hallows since they never really did explain why Harry's cloak never wore out, that was something that was festering in my head since Moody mentioned that his was on the fritz or something along those lines. That and the Elder Wand was probably the easiest way for Rowling to have Harry defeat Voldemort without actually having him kill someone.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Paragon8 posted:

On the other hand what does it say about Moody's eye that it could see through the most perfect invisibility cloak.

You're right though, the Hallows did set up some important end game elements. It might have been a nice bookend for the resurrection stone to be linked to the Philosopher's stone somehow.

Moody's eye's just super badass?

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

GodFish posted:

Clearly Moody made it himself, and was an even better wizard than the brothers who made the hallows were.

Or at the very least, more paranoid. :tinfoil:

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Inveigle posted:

On a side note, the biggest child abusers in the series were Severus Snape and Umbridge. Snape's motivations were probably very similar to Petunia's -- jealousy, and later loss, which really made him hate Harry a lot. Umbridge was just a sadistic bitch.

Snape's motivations were entirely jealousy and loss, mostly because he lost the love of his life to the guy who used to bully the poo poo out of him and he also had to teach and eventually protect their child who was pretty much James looking at him with Lily's eyes.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

syphon posted:

I finally got around to reading the books, and I just finished the series last night. I'd seen one or two of the movies, but I legitimately didn't know how the ending was going to go (other than the obvious spoiler that was all over the internet).

I'm not going to spoil this, since the thread title itself says how long this book has been out. Someone let me know if I should.

Can someone explain to me how Harry beat Voldemort at the very end? He claimed that the Elder Wand rejected Voldemort and wasn't at full operational capacity, but I didn't follow the logic of why. He argued that, since Dumbledore planned it, Snape's killing him didn't really "count", and that Draco was the true master of the wand. Was this because Draco disarmed him at the last moment before he died? Would this be enough to make Harry's spell powerful enough to withstand the allegedly most powerful wizard in the world? Or was it all a misdirection to make Voldy doubt himself at the last, crucial moment?

Yeah, Malfoy disarmed him in the tower, which made him the master of the Wand. Harry swiped Malfoy's wand at his place, so therefore he was master of the Wand. It was less him playing Voldemort psychologically and more Voldemort not knowing the entire story.

E: ^What he said.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

syphon posted:

Then why don't wands switch owners every time two people duel? (or practice dueling, like they did at school)

Best explanation I can give is the Elder Wand is so badass it achieved a level of sentience.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Oh man I remember reading a bootleg of Deathly Hallows my freshman year of college where Ginny came along and the entire thing turned into a weird as hell double date. Complete with Harry and Ginny breaking up in Morocco, or some bullshit like that. Anyone else remember what I'm talking about or was it some insane fever dream?

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

icantfindaname posted:

Did people really care about LotR when it was published? Tolkein was just an old crazy British guy writing fanfiction about Norse mythology, not yet a beloved nerd icon.

You can't seriously believe this. Harry Potter almost single handedly set off the avalanche of YA novels, you can't use some semantic bullshit to make it totally different. It's a YA series, sorry

There was graffiti on the London Underground between Two Towers and Return of the King saying stuff like "Frodo Lives!" so it had some level of popularity at the time.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Didn't most of the Time Turners get smashed at the Department of Mysteries anyways?

Or am I pulling stuff out of my rear end?

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Pidmon posted:

Joanne realised how big of a plothole they were so she had that one Death Eater destroy them all (then get his hosed up head turned into a baby what the gently caress happened in that weird 'let's study metaphysics' place)

I'm still a little curious about the brain room.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Inveigle posted:

it might have been better if JFK had focussed more on that since the Hallows were found all through the books. Dumbledore even had all three of the Hallows at one time -- why didn't he go defeat Voldie himself?

The Chowdah of Secrets.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

thexerox123 posted:

The Minister is probably elected by a magical pair of clogs or something.

The Sorting Clogs dictate what branch of the government a worker is in.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

LaughMyselfTo posted:

Lockhart tends to be played off as a comedic character, but considering his modus operandi, I've got to wonder how much damage he did to other people's lives before the events of Chamber Of Secrets.

At least 9, depending on how many people he screwed with apart from the authors.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

That's what Moody points out in his first class, that Neville or Ron could point their wands at him and scream Avada Kedavra as loud as they wanted and it'd maybe give him a nosebleed. Didn't that also get proven by Harry trying to use the Cruciatus Curse on Bellatrix in 5?

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

He'd go after them. When someone's life's on the line Harry wouldn't shirk away even if it was people who were colossal dicks to him.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Xachariah posted:

Well yeah but I meant if he arrived at the house cause he forgot something and found they had been Longbottomed or reduced to a charred smouldering corpse by Voldemort.

He didn't exactly try and take care of them like Hermione did with her parents, to say the least.

I think he told them to get out of the country at the start of Deathly Hallows.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

And Harry looks to be about 5. Unless every 11 year old actually looks that young.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

bobjr posted:

As much as I think it's a weird movie Goblet of Fire does have a nice moment where Harry comes back with Cedric's body and everyone is all happy and excited and the band is playing then 5 seconds later everyone's like "Oh poo poo"

That's probably one of the better moments of the series from a cinematic standpoint.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Pidmon posted:

How can Binns be SO loving BAD at his job that he keeps it post mortem? That still annoys me, just so Joanne didn't have to flesh out history much.

I think the only people who care less about History of Magic than JK Rowling is the staff at Hogwarts. Thus, a ghost teaches.

• Locked thread