Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

bobjr posted:

This is true, out of all the teachers we see at Hogwarts only like 2-3 are competent teachers.

Good Teachers
Flitwick, Sprout, McGonagall, Slughorn, Lupin, Moody(?), Quirrell(??), Hagrid(???), Grubbly-Plank, Sinistra(The biggest ? of all, since we never see a single astronomy lesson)

Bad Teachers
Snape, Binns, Trelawney, Lockheart, Umbrage, Quirrell(?), Hagrid (???)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
Well change it to Barty Crouch Jr(?) who at least managed to teach his students something, unlike Professor Binns who only managed to teach Hermione.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.
Clearly Moody made it himself, and was an even better wizard than the brothers who made the hallows were.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.

Otto Von Jizzmark posted:

I don't know Harry was fed and clothed and given a roof over his head. They even took him to the zoo when he talked to the snake. They weren't beating the hell out of him or Mr duesley molesting him. Maybe they just didn't like him because he wasn't their kid and was a burden to a family that didn't have a lot to begin with.

Uncle Vernon was a CEO of a drill company or something, they had plenty of money to buy Dudley new tvs computers bikes and poo poo every birthday.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.

DontMockMySmock posted:

I don't know whether my opinion is particularly popular, but I thought that the movies were pretty lovely in general, with the exception of Azkaban.

I thought the first one was alright as well.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.
Life Debts don't work like that though. Pettigrew didn't falter strangling Harry because the magic of the life debt forced him to, he hesitated because he owed Harry his life and at least for a moment he couldn't bring himself to do it. And then the hand he got killed him because Voldemort is a dick and cursed it to kill Pettigrew if he ever betrayed him.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.
I was thinking, JKR says that Dumbledore was about 150 when he died, and Bathilda Bagshot was already a well known historian when the Dumbledore's moved in next door we can assume she was at least 30, and she apparently died a few months after Dumbledore, she was at least 170 years old. Why does anyone even need a philosophers stone in this world? :psyduck:

By comparison Voldemort was a spry 71 (approximately) when he died, easily looking forward to another 100 years.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.
Rickman was miscast as Snape because he made it possible for people to think of Snape as anything but a petty abusive bully. :colbert:

He didn't even love Lily, he loved the ideal of her he put on a pedestal, but the fact that he was fine with her being heartbroken by the death of her husband and son as long as he could swoop in afterwards to comfort her shows he didn't care or understand about who she really was.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.
He could have acted the role by favoring slytherins and death eater kids while also not being horribly abusive to other students. Voldemort treats Neville better than Snape does.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.

Wittgen posted:

Remember that he owed Harry an inherited life debt, so he literally couldn't kill him.

I don't think a life debt actually stops you from killing someone/doing whatever, so much as being a kind of "emotional" magic like love. Except I guess love in Harry Potter is some kind of quantifiable force so maybe I'm completely wrong.

Basically I think the story reads a lot better if Pettigrew stops choking Harry because he knew Harry saved his life and not because a magic life debt forced him to.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.
The mercy kills him because Voldemort curses the hand to kill Peter if his loyalty ever wavers again, but the mercy itself should come from Peter and not life debt magic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.

Pidmon posted:

How can Binns be SO loving BAD at his job that he keeps it post mortem? That still annoys me, just so Joanne didn't have to flesh out history much.

He has tenure. :colbert:

Besides, what would he do with his death if he couldn't keep teaching? Would you make an old ghost teacher like that try to find work somewhere else for the rest of eternity?

• Locked thread