Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
There are a lot of reasons to hate HPMOR. As mentioned above, it is not really Harry Potter fanfiction so much as it is Rationalism's Atlas Shrugged with a Harry Potter paintjob to bring in readers. Plenty of fanfic is only tenuously related to canon, though. HPMOR goes the extra step of repeatedly bringing up things that happened in canon only to sneer at how incredibly stupid they are. It's really condescending and awful.

The author is super duper extra egotistical. I read a thing where he recounted a time he earnestly asked a friend, "Am I the smartest person you have ever met?" The friend said no, and then talked about meeting a famous mathematician and seeing him go to town on a math problem. This was a blow to Yudkowsky's ego. To top it off, the moral Yudkowsky used this story to tell was that Yudkowsky is actually humble, unlike all those people who only pretend like they might not be the smartest person to ever live. (Fun note. I also read an article where Yudkowsky was completely baffled by gambling.) This ego thing can be grating and can turn people off.

Some people were saying that HPMOR isn't aimed at kids. I am not sure that is fair to say. The author has actively bragged about HPMOR getting kids to sign up for some math competition/indoctrination workship his NPO runs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

I'm so sorry for what happened to you. That's awful.

You seemed distressed at no one else taking the events in the book as abuse. If it helps, I think large parts of the fandom do see the Dursley's actions as abuse. I remember lots of discussions of how hosed up the actions of the Dursleys, Dumbledore, Snape, and Umbridge are. Also, one of the better fanfics I've read was from the point of view of Dudley slowly realizing that the way his family treats Harry is not normal. (Trigger warnings, obviously, but if anyone is interested: link. Also, I haven't read fanfic in years, so maybe this actually sucks?)

As other have mentioned, the series starts of as Dahlian fairy tale, and the grownups ranging from monstrous to merely grossly incompetent fits with that. As the series goes on, however, things get grittier and more "realistic." I think that's a big part of why the ending is so dissatisfying. All the horrors and dangers become more and more real, but their resolution is purely fairy tale. It's dissonant.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

I read the first two books when I was almost 11. Book five came out just before I turned 15. I think future generations will enjoy the books, but only we will have had the experience of growing up with the books, being the same age as the characters every time a book came out.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

TheModernAmerican posted:

Sure he didn't kill Harry himself, but if that's the rubric we're using to be a good person now then I guess I am Jesus incarnate.

Remember that he owed Harry an inherited life debt, so he literally couldn't kill him.

• Locked thread